Gabapentin (Neurontin) Withdrawl Support Group

[Is...]

Noticed your tag and a couple of lines below felt familiar. Tool or A Perfect Circle fan?  MJK is pretty amazing.

Ah yes! I've loved tool ever since lollapalooza in 91. Of course fell in love with a perfect circle as well, then puscifer. The man's voice can just cut right through you. Really hoping the last tool album wasn't the last, but I'm not trying to fool myself either. I'll take pretty much anything he does.

Thank you Ever, I'm on it. It has to be better than nothing and certainly worth a try, because pharma isn't getting it. Except for my prilosec, I'm pharma free.

Much appreciated

Jim

Hi Jim,

After just finishing a 2 year taper off of gabapentin following my excruciating taper from Xanax, I think saying no to the gabapentin is a smart move! I have some really severe back pain that I have really struggled with. I found a yoga dvd made specifically for severe back issues and post back surgery, etc. It is called, "Viniyoga Therapy for the Low Back, Sacrum & Hips with Gary Kraftsow." The video was actually part of a NIH back pain study and has great results for many people. I purchased it on Amazon. I thought I'd share in case it is of any help to you!

Take Care!

Hopeful girl

Thank you Hopefulgirl, I'm going to check into it. Anything that isn't another medication to take. 2 yrs to get off Gabapentin, wow.

Much appreciated and I hope you have a good day.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to anyone still reading this thread.  I just finished reading the whole thread(took a few days) and appreciated all the success stories while being frightened by some of the many apparent failures.  I'm actually on pregabalin(Lyrica), but I'm convinced that Lyrica is simply a stronger version of Gabapentin at a 6:1 ratio.  Here's my(long) story, summary at the bottom of my history:

----------------Start of long history-----

I'd been sober for 2 years and had a big relapse.  I could make excuses, but they'd be just that, excuses.  Anyway, I got myself deeply hooked on amphetamines, opiates and Benzo's.  After about 6 months of this I got tired of it and decided to get off.  I used suboxone to taper rapidly over a couple weeks and when I jumped I c/t'd the amphetamines, too.  I continued to struggle with benzo's and accidentally took a massive overdose of a little known benzo, flubromazepam.  I lost 4 days of memory and it took a few weeks to feel normal again.  I relapsed on opiates again and decided it was time to get help.  I got in treatment and started suboxone again with the goal of a more gradual taper.  I also started a valium taper and got off over a few months.  The valium taper was easy and I jumped about 2.5 months ago.  I still take .75mg of suboxone, which is a low dose, many people jump around .5-1mg. 

I was originally prescribed the Lyrica for my carpal tunnel post-surgical pain, since I cannot take opiate pain relievers.  The doctor assured me Lyrica was not habit-forming, and told me to take 150mg, but I could take more if I needed it.  The pain was intense so I ended up taking 900-1200mg a day.  When I stopped 5 days later I woke up with a crazy adrenalin fused panic attack and knew it must be the Lyrica.  I went and took 300mg, and tapered over a few days and stopped.  I was ok; I had some anxiety and I had the twitches for the next month but survived this experience with lyrica.  I chalked it up to the high dose I took and figured that the anxiety was a rebound effect.

About a month ago I had a really bad tooth that I was waiting to have fixed.  I was in agony and my primary offered me opiates which I declined not wanting to get addicted again.  I remembered the lyrica I had and popped a 600mg dose.  Pain went away and all was good, taking up to 900mg a day for about a week.  I remembered the last rebound effect and decided I'd taper.  Knowing my past drug history I knew I'd be tempted to keep taking more and more, so I planned the taper and dumped the last 10-15 pills thinking I'd only need a week long taper like last time  I took 300mg the next day and 150mg the next after that.  That 3rd morning I awoke with a bad panic attack which lasted all day.  I took the 150mg that night and slept about 3 hours and awoke with an even worse attack. 

I cannot overstate how bad the last panic attack was.  I would have eaten a bullet if I had a gun, it was that bad.  It was unlike any panic attack I'd ever had, it felt like a massive adrenaline rush that never stopped. It was certainly compounded by the fact that I didn't have enough lyrica to rearrange the taper and slow it down.  I've also been moving a lot and didn't have a doctor to call.  I took the rest of my pills and went to the ER.  The doctor there hadn't heard of Lyrica withdrawal(go figure) but was nice enough to give me a script.

I reinstated at 600mg and improved a bit but was still confined to bed and having near constant panic.  I struggled to get stable and upped my dose 75mg which helped.  I also divided my dose into 4 times a day, which helped the most.  It still took me 2 days to feel stable and another 2 before the interdose withdrawal went away. 

I still experience random withdrawal symptoms throughout the day, but they are usually mild.  These symptoms are nausea, anxiety, muscle spasms and twitches, and many other symptoms that I can't remember but the matched many of the symptoms people here report.  One that was really odd was that high pitched noises would really annoy me some times.  It feels like the noise is cutting right through me and is grating and annoying.

----End of History ---------------------------------

Summary of history:  I'm a recovering drug addict who was prescribed Lyrica for pain because "it's not addictive".  I took it for 2 very short periods and became dependent in only a few days.  I tried to taper 25% per day and felt almost as bad as I've ever felt(I've been through full-on precipitated withdrawal of fentanyl, which was only slightly worse than this).  I struggled to get stable and am currently feeling OK at 675mg lyrica and .75mg Suboxone. 

So, I'm currently pretty stable , but I'm certainly not as functional as before, probably mostly due to the Lyrica side effects.  I'm able to work some, but I work from home and rarely interact with people for work.  It sucks that I can't do much.  I struggle with normal life stuff and have only been able to go outside in the morning, like from 7am-11am.  The rest of the day I have too much anxiety.

I want to jump from the Suboxone first, since lyrica is known to help opiate withdrawals, but the side effects from lyrica are driving me nuts.  My plan is to try to reduce both for a while.  I think I should be able to reduce the lyrica faster since I've only been on it for a month now.

I'm so sick of feeling bad because of drugs or withdrawal from drugs.  I've been trying to recover from that relapse for what seems like forever(probably 4 months).  I see this long road ahead of tapering this evil drug and I just want to give up.  Instead of wallowing in it and dreading this constantly, I'm going to try to accept that this is my life now and not try to think about what I'm missing.  My life sucks right now, but I'd rather feel like this forever than not exist at all.

Thank you to the folks that shared their Gabapentin w/d stories, they've been a great source of information and comfort at times.  I'm going to try to keep updating as well.

Well, I got myself down to 300 milligrams and I have to say the symptoms from gab are a lot weirder than clonazepam.  I get this brain freeze sort of pain that feels very much like pressure that throbs and I can feel it all over my body.  I get chills periodically too.  Because I reduced clonazepam and gab at the same time, I'm not sure which drug I'm feeling symptoms from.  Knowing the first couple weeks after clonazepam can be rough, I'm holding at 300 mgs of gab per day at bed time for a couple of weeks to see if I can stabilize.  My plan is to attempt the next 100 mgs reduction via a 25% reduction per week to see how that goes.  If that works out, I'll continue it for as long as it seems to work.  My system is so sensitized at this point I will need to be prepared to move very slowly.  I may need to purchase some gel caps so I'm not wasting so much medication.  I feel bad about that.  I'll look into it.  The health food store should have some.  Since I'm on a night time only dose of gab, it'll be really easy for me to manage monkying around with dumping from one capsule to another.  :) 

Best wishes to every one.

Ever...

I was on a fairly low dose of Gabapentin 900mg for 2 years, then 1500mg for 10 months. I CT'd Gabapentin and low dose sporadic use of Ativan (.5-1mg, 2-3 days a week for 2 months) on November 8, 2014.  Have been in hell for 18 months.  The last 2 months have been better. 

The symptoms described on this thread, especially the high anxiety, mirror mine.  I hope I'm nearing the end of this ride.  It's been a doozy.

Sofa

I read where a doctor treats his patients with niacin for anxiety and depression and it's working for them. It made me wonder about it working in my case, so I got some. What the store had were 500 mg capsules with 400 mgs of niacin and 100 mgs of inositol. I got those and took one that evening. I read about the niacin flush and had one for a few minutes. But....it relieved my symptoms. The depression went from a 6-7 to 3-4. My anxiety lessened from a 5-6 to 2-3 on my 10 scale. Today is my third day and I'm sold ! I've gone from nearly trying Gabapentin a few days ago to actually beginning to function now. I'm getting outside, walking my dogs, driving my cars when I want to drive, not only when I can. My mind isn't racing like it was, although I do still take buspar. I had anxiety prior to all this, so I expect to have it coming out. But I no longer wish myself away from the depths of depression.

I have a link to the article or look into my thread and it's there. Don't want to be out of place by posting this here. But it's something that's helping me beyond belief and I have to share.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Well it's been a very long time since I've been on the bb forum. I'm back because it's time for me to start tapering gabapentin. I've dreaded this day for a while, but feel that I can't wait any longer. I've been on gaba since I went into rehab in October 2013. They started me at 900 mgs, 300 3x daily, to come off k. It was then bumped up to 1200 mgs in Feb 2014. So it'll be 2 1/2 years that I've been on it. I've been doing lots of reading about tapering it, & have come to find that it definitely has no rhyme or reason & seems to affect everyone differently. I've had no problems while on it, except that it didn't really touch my benzo withdrawal. I had such a horrific experience coming off of benzos that I was terrified to come off g. The fact is, I'm terrified to stay on & terrified to come off! So I met with my psych who knows exactly how I feel & she agreed to have me do a slow liquid micro taper at 5 mgs a day. I really would love to cut 100 mgs at a time, & I tried doing it a week ago, but got such anxiety over it that I went back to my normal dose. So I'm really hoping that micro tapering will be easier on me both mentally & physically. I've been well for a long time, but still will not be writing my success story till I'm completely off this! So I will be checking in here looking for encouragement & to let you all know how I'm doing. Praying that it goes well for me & for all my fellow g taperers.

Thank you,

Laelani

Laelani, good for you! I too am on the gabapentin, given to me while in detox. I wish I knew then what I was getting myself into. I'm scared to death to come off the stuff, but at the sametime, my psych doc has assured me that I can taper slowly at my own rate. I don't know if the stuff is helping, I guess I'd hate to find out what I'd be like without it . The one thing I've got going for me is I'm only taking 600 mg a day. They wanted to up it, but I didn't what to.

Hello everyone.

I'm happy to report that I'm moving forward again with gab reduction.  I held for two weeks after my final clonazepam dose.  I picked back up at a 33 mg reduction and today reduce another 33 mgs.  Last week, I did not feel the gab reduction.  I'm hopeful the same will be true today.  I'll be pushing the envelope as much as I can to get off gab as much as my body will tolerate.  I too was in the stage of "afraid to stay on and afraid to jump off."  The time for fear is done. The time for action is in focus.  I cannot stay on due to a really nasty side effect that is wrecking my world.  I personally think pharma has failed when you cannot come off of a drug the same way you went on it and they should be held accountable for all the lies we've all been told.  Rant over, soap box back under the sofa.  LOL

Wishing you all some fierce courage and a kick butt attitude to get this gab reduction done as comfortably as possible.

Ever...

I know my liver is being hurt but i dont know how much of this is really from the hep c its all related to my nervous system like the akathisia and burning and twisted terror every cell in my body tryingbto  run away its all kindling the scariest psrt is im not even tapering ive tapered a tiny bit but this has been getting worse just holding i dont think my hep c is the only reason my liver is in pain and sick i think its from alll the meds too. But tapering makes things even worse i am in something indescribable i know lots of people suffer from coming off benzos i did before extreme... the thing is i went back on and my withdrawl didnt go away and nmow i have tormenting akathisia. And brsin flipping idk where to start idk whats side effects whats symptoms whats illness whats doing what everything is affecting everything and i am so so so sick but whats happening in my mind is the most extreme. I tried taking more ativan in times thst were so horrendous to see whst went away and it msde things worse so...... i cant do this at home and its about surviving one day asst a time towards healing but im getting sicker and im lost in torment i cant even pray right now im trying im so scrambled i tell you its litterally like i am dying right now over and over.

Hiphopanonymous:

We are all here with you , just breathe . It's gonna be ok , you will be ok. We care about you .

Jus know that we are all in this together. You will get better I have absolutely no doubt about that. We all care about you and are always here to listen.

I know my liver is being hurt but i dont know how much of this is really from the hep c its all related to my nervous system like the akathisia and burning and twisted terror every cell in my body tryingbto  run away its all kindling the scariest psrt is im not even tapering ive tapered a tiny bit but this has been getting worse just holding i dont think my hep c is the only reason my liver is in pain and sick i think its from alll the meds too. But tapering makes things even worse i am in something indescribable i know lots of people suffer from coming off benzos i did before extreme... the thing is i went back on and my withdrawl didnt go away and nmow i have tormenting akathisia. And brsin flipping idk where to start idk whats side effects whats symptoms whats illness whats doing what everything is affecting everything and i am so so so sick but whats happening in my mind is the most extreme. I tried taking more ativan in times thst were so horrendous to see whst went away and it msde things worse so...... i cant do this at home and its about surviving one day asst a time towards healing but im getting sicker and im lost in torment i cant even pray right now im trying im so scrambled i tell you its litterally like i am dying right now over and over.

Hiphopanonymous,

Sometimes all we can do is breathe into on single moment and not worry about the rest. They'll come.  Those of us inclined can pray for you, can send positive energy, good thoughts or at least let you know you're not alone.  Hang in there.

Ever...

That's great ever! So happy for you! Peace

Thank you so much Valiumheadnomore.  :)  It's a happy day when you can begin to see accomplishment you really forgot to look for.  :)  I don't look for them enough.  I need to do that some more.  We all probably do some. :)

Ever...

Thank you. I really apreciate that sometimes i just dont understand ho i mean i know other people here are suffering. Some very extreme but it doesnt xseems like anyone is at my calliber or if they are it is because they are off cod turkey ive never seen someone else get this unstable i feel like i have everything but the akathisia inner torment of my mind is not even distractable i am in another universe right now my cellular structure is screaming for homeostasis the nerve psin is torturous but the building sensation in all my cells is the tip of the icebert and im still building. I come out of it sometimes but im always in a state of withdrawal.... but taking more doesnt help it doesnt make sense. They say to hold and stabilize and i think im posting on wrong thread i think this is gaba thread. Im on gaba. I went into th hospital and they ctd it many months ago and i had to go backk on my psychiatrist made me then fired me but i did chose to go back on cuz it was right before a detox attempt. I made it a month without it and i dont know the akathisia and nerve pain got so so much worse i wish i could no whats causing what please god please showvme

Hiphop,

Just keep moving forward, one step at a time, hon.  Don't try to figure anything out, as to what's causing what.  Just move forward tapering slowly.  You are not worse off than anyone on this forum.  Thinking that way digs you deeper into a hole of despair.  What you lack are coping skills and you let yourself get so worked up over this, which makes you feel worse.  I know you have health issues with your liver and hepc.  These issues may resolve during this process of total body reconstruction.  It has happened to many who recovered from this.

Sofa

Sofa no my symptoms are far worse thsn many most people in here. Thsts what people arent understanfing its not withdrawl. Im on meds im in hosu they gave me xanax it made me worse i cannot breath i am screaming pulling hair ramming head in wall in torment its from severs psychic akathisia there is no way out you say to taper slowly but i can ot handle symptoms without tapering its not my attitute im in a mental crisis im ripped apart in torment im not using thst lightly and im bursting out of my body my soul is being tortured  this is without the health issues its not my fear of these things it bsckward im bursting alive im noddig rotting in terror they could sen me to psych ward but im already crazy and unbearable torment from kindling my im hanging on prayer but akathisia is worse and worse it s not normal akathisia llike we talked about long time ago on phone sofa the restlessness. It is thst also but itv crossed a barrier that is not i cannot survive another day liks this youv im in hospital they gave me mg xanax made me worse  i in desperate need of psyche meds or stabilise but nothing works dont know what to do if set to psychvward....they change everything asnd send home but im in no shspe to be home burning chills throat thyroid liver so sick tormented no help no hope the torment is too severe ive suffered though this the last two years  and that was bad but its waaaay different now theres no breathingvits al in everything the akathisia is in everything

[c4...]

Sofa no my symptoms are far worse thsn many most people in here. Thsts what people arent understanfing its not withdrawl. Im on meds im in hosu they gave me xanax it made me worse i cannot breath i am screaming pulling hair ramming head in wall in torment its from severs psychic akathisia there is no way out you say to taper slowly but i can ot handle symptoms without tapering its not my attitute im in a mental crisis im ripped apart in torment im not using thst lightly and im bursting out of my body my soul is being tortured  this is without the health issues its not my fear of these things it bsckward im bursting alive im noddig rotting in terror they could sen me to psych ward but im already crazy and unbearable torment from kindling my im hanging on prayer but akathisia is worse and worse it s not normal akathisia llike we talked about long time ago on phone sofa the restlessness. It is thst also but itv crossed a barrier that is not i cannot survive another day liks this youv im in hospital they gave me mg xanax made me worse  i in desperate need of psyche meds or stabilise but nothing works dont know what to do if set to psychvward....they change everything asnd send home but im in no shspe to be home burning chills throat thyroid liver so sick tormented no help no hope the torment is too severe ive suffered though this the last two years  and that was bad but its waaaay different now theres no breathingvits al in everything the akathisia is in everything

I wish there was something we could say or do to make it all better for you.  It's painful to keep reading how badly you suffer.  Keep praying for help.

Ok. Im praying i love you jesus. Thank you all buddies im sorry for the same situation i cannot control it they sent me home they said my tests were fine but my liver was. Not fine and  they didnt check my thyroid my akathisia is not normal its so dementedit tor.ents me s d everyone i come into contact with.  The xanax they gave me made it worse which scares me and the trauma is becoming more im so confused on what to do

Chris,

You need to go to the hospital.  Call 911 and tell them you are suicidal.  The police have to come out and take you to a facility by law.  You need to start creating a paper trail.

Chris, this forum cannot help you.  You are beyond the point of Internet comfort.  You look for advice, which no one can or should give you.  If your posts are a true indication of how bad off you are, you need help NOW.  Your body is shutting down.  You need medical attention.  Please do something to help yourself besides writing these posts that don't even make sense anymore.  I talked to you on the phone over a year ago and you were not one tenth as bad as your posts reflect you are today.

Please Chris, pick up the phone and call 911.  They have to take you to a facility to prevent you from harming yourself.  It is the law. 

Sofa

If you tread my posts i was at the hospital today they sent me home. What can we figure if the more benzos dont help the akathisia is it being caused from something else? Or from that please i know im bad sofa when i talked to you a year sgo i was off of everything