Gabapentin (Neurontin) Withdrawl Support Group

[Is...]

Hi Butterfly,

Looks like you & I are right about at the same place with our tapering. I too am micro tapering liquid at 5 mgs a day. As of today I'm down to 930 mgs, from 1200. The only symptom I really have thus far is this strange boaty/vertigo feeling when I'm sitting or standing still. I hate it but it could be worse.

I'm trying to workout & get a lot of exercise in the hope that it will help with any other symptoms that may arise. I cut everyday, but I did hold for a couple of weeks because I tapered down on remeron at the same time. Hoping this goes wel for both of us. I'll keep checking in to see how you're doing.

I wish you well!

Hugs,

Laelani

I am so happy to read that your tapering is going pretty well. :smitten: You are doing amazing!  :smitten:

Thank you! it is still going okay. I appreciate the support!! :) I hit  the one month mark since I began tapering again on July 4, at 925mg now!! Down 150mg!! I have serious bloating still and my muscles are tight but don't hurt like they used to on previous tapers. My sleep is decent, but with vivid dreaming. Tomorrow I am going to start going to the gym. Nothing radical but try to slowly get back into shape.

Laelani, how is the taper going for you? Have you been able to exercise like you mentioned?

Hi Butterfly,

Looks like you & I are right about at the same place with our tapering. I too am micro tapering liquid at 5 mgs a day. As of today I'm down to 930 mgs, from 1200. The only symptom I really have thus far is this strange boaty/vertigo feeling when I'm sitting or standing still. I hate it but it could be worse.

I'm trying to workout & get a lot of exercise in the hope that it will help with any other symptoms that may arise. I cut everyday, but I did hold for a couple of weeks because I tapered down on remeron at the same time. Hoping this goes wel for both of us. I'll keep checking in to see how you're doing.

I wish you well!

Hugs,

Laelani

I am so happy to read that your tapering is going pretty well. :smitten: You are doing amazing!  :smitten:

Thank you! it is still going okay. I appreciate the support!! :) I hit  the one month mark since I began tapering again on July 4, at 925mg now!! Down 150mg!! I have serious bloating still and my muscles are tight but don't hurt like they used to on previous tapers. My sleep is decent, but with vivid dreaming. Tomorrow I am going to start going to the gym. Nothing radical but try to slowly get back into shape.

Laelani, how is the taper going for you? Have you been able to exercise like you mentioned?

Benzos r cruel,

Yes, thank you for your kind, encouraging words. They are appreciated greatly!

Butterfly,

I've tapered down to 900 mgs & have chosen to hold for a bit. I want this vertigo to settle down before I continue again. It's very unsettling, & I just wish it would stop. I'm being very cautious & listening to my body & symptoms. I do not want to rush it & get in that bad place again like when I was tapering benzos. I don't care how long it takes me to get off, I refuse to rush things just for the sake of being off it. So I think I'm going to taper in rounds of 300 then hold. Hopefully that'll work for me & provide the least amount of symptoms.

As far as exercising is concerned, yes I'm working out at the gym. Doing an hour on the treadmill & using the machines to strengthen my legs that lost all their muscle when I was in benzo withdrawal. I'm also doing physical therapy because I had back surgery in April, so I'm working on strengthening my core there. It feels really good to be getting stronger. I also lost 10 lbs, which is an added bonus!

I'm so happy to hear that you're going to make it back to the gym, & that you have less muscle pain. I think working out really helps with this journey that we're on. Please let me know how things continue  to progress for you. I have a feeling you're going to be able to keep tapering & get a lot further ahead of me, but that's okay, I've learned that this is not a race! As long as I can continue to live my everyday life, work & take care of my son, I'm good!

I hope things continue to go smoothly for you. Take care of yourself & please continue the check in.

Hugs,

Laelani :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just checking in again. I've been holding on my taper because the vertigo hasn't really improved. I started tapering again today, thinking I could just push through it, but I changed my mind & have decided to stay on my 900 mg dose until this gets better. Also my insomnia & restless legs are off the charts. Gaba is known for helping restless legs, which I've had for many many years, so it only makes sense that this would get worse while tapering off of it. I need to keep telling myself this isn't a race,but it's very difficult, as I feel that I've been on this medication way longer than I've ever wanted to be! I'm really hoping things improve so I can continue my taper. Hope you're all doing well!

Hugs,

Laelani  :smitten:

Down to 200mg of Gabapentin.  Dizziness finally left.  Restless leg still bad on left side.  Also feeling what I would call all over nerve pain.  Hope it is just the Gabapentin and not neuropathy (sp) pain.  Have a sprained leg for over 3 months and nothing helps.  Just have to get off Gaba!

Down to 200mg of Gabapentin.  Dizziness finally left.  Restless leg still bad on left side.  Also feeling what I would call all over nerve pain.  Hope it is just the Gabapentin and not neuropathy (sp) pain.  Have a sprained leg for over 3 months and nothing helps.  Just have to get off Gaba!

Hi Popcornlady,

So glad to hear you're down 100 mgs & feeling somewhat better. I wanted to know how long the dizziness lasted for you? I'm not sure how long to hold. I'm hoping the dizziness will subside soon so that I can start tapering again. I also have restless legs, especially in my right leg. It comes on in the middle of the night & is pretty severe. I've suffered with restless legs for years, but I believe some of the psych meds I was put on made it worse. My old psych wanted me to take clonazapam for them, but at the time I refused. Now that I'm coming off meds, it's ramped it up tremendously. For that reason & because of severe insomnia, I started medical marijuana, but it doesn't always work, so I'm left struggling at night, which ramps up my anxiety! Ugh! This is all so tough to do. I feel like I'll never be okay again! I hate taking meds, even medical marijuana. Wish I'd never started on the psych med train!! Keep up the good work Popcornlady!

Hugs,

Laelani

Hi Butterfly,

I wish you well!

Hugs,

Laelani

Hi just checking in. I am still moving forward with tapering despite these crappy wx's! It's not fun but manageable. Down another 50mg from last week. The worst is the stinging, burning under skin pain,  the pulling and tight fascia. Sometimes I think about holding, but the symptoms are always worse for a few weeks after the hold. I would just rather keep chugging along.

Laelani, I have tried the gym but had the typical exercise intolerance response that so many people talk about. I was completely wiped out, and then had rebound symptoms that were even worse than normal wx's  :(  It seems that walking everyday is the best I can do for now.  How is the exercise working for you?

Well I pray that you all are also hanging in there with your tapers.  I will check back soon Hugs:)  :smitten: :smitten:

Butterfly

Hi Popcornlady,

So glad to hear you're down 100 mgs & feeling somewhat better. I wanted to know how long the dizziness lasted for you? I'm not sure how long to hold. I'm hoping the dizziness will subside soon so that I can start tapering again. I also have restless legs, especially in my right leg. It comes on in the middle of the night & is pretty severe. I've suffered with restless legs for years, but I believe some of the psych meds I was put on made it worse. My old psych wanted me to take clonazapam for them, but at the time I refused. Now that I'm coming off meds, it's ramped it up tremendously. For that reason & because of severe insomnia, I started medical marijuana, but it doesn't always work, so I'm left struggling at night, which ramps up my anxiety! Ugh! This is all so tough to do. I feel like I'll never be okay again! I hate taking meds, even medical marijuana. Wish I'd never started on the psych med train!! Keep up the good work Popcornlady!

Hugs,

Laelani

Dropped 100mg on July 19.  Today is Aug 19.  I haven't felt dizzy for about a week.  Didn't think about it, all of a sudden noticed I wasn't dizzy.

Think I will use water titration to go down the next 100mg.  Maybe it won't be as tough.

I think the benzo helped with restless leg.  Mine is my left leg.  I have found that if I rub in moisture cream (any cream) and massage the whole leg that it helps.

Hugs,

Patti

Hi all.

I've been reading all of your posts because I too when done with benzos will have to come off of GABA.

My psych is completely stunned about my withdrawals.

My Nuerologist is the one that has given me liquid Librium and GABA.

GABA has made me sick in the past and I have had to cut 100 mg at once. This was before liquid was prescribed.

Oh my goodness, the 100 mg drop was horrible. I had to. I'd take it and almost would manic. Crazy.

I'm at 500 mg. holding.

What is the safest taper to come off of GABA. How many milligrams a week??

Thank you much  :)

Hi all.

I've been reading all of your posts because I too when done with benzos will have to come off of GABA.

GABA has made me sick in the past and I have had to cut 100 mg at once. This was before liquid was prescribed.

Oh my goodness, the 100 mg drop was horrible. I had to. I'd take it and almost would manic. Crazy.

I'm at 500 mg. holding.

Hi Lala,

I'm so sorry you've been through hell & back with these stupid psych meds! I completely understand just how difficult it is to get off of them. As far as gaba is concerned, if your psych can prescribe it, I would suggest you do a liquid taper. You can taper at 5 mgs a day & hold when necessary. This is a much more gentle way to go about it. I've heard from many other gaba taperers that it's the best way to lessen the severity of any withdrawal symptoms. I'm doing this, & I've tapered down by 300 mgs in about 2 1/2 months. I'm now holding due to having vertigo & restless legs at night from it. I plan on continuing it next week. So I suggest you speak with your doctor about doing a taper this way.

I wish you luck & if you have any other questions please ask!

Take care & hang in there!

Hugs,

Laelani

8/22  Wanted to run this by the Gabapentin group.  Does this sound okay.  Already did 100mg from 300mg and it took easily a month to do.  Now I am going to taper 100mg from the 200mg.

Started Gabapentin water titration taper.  Going to do noon dose first.  Then take the pill at night.

Open 100mg capsule and put contents in  100ml water - stir  - today stay with 100mg dissolved.  Rinse glass and drink.  This ensures that you got all the dosage.

Tomorrow - 100mg in 100ml stir and take out 5ml = drink 95ml - rinse glass and drink again

Each day after that try to take out an additional 5ml (5mg) 100-95-90-85-80 etc.

Should take 20 days.  Be sure to write down and keep track.  If things get bad, hold.

Hugs,

Patti

For those looking for gaba reduction methods, honestly, I think you have to try and see what works.  I would aim for smaller reductions. Once you get to the half way point of the dosage you've taken for a while, you might need to slow down a bit.  How much really depends on what you personally can tolerate. This is no sprint, it's more like a marathon and you will reach the finish line.  :)  I would work down to my desired reduction over a week.  So, if my reduction over a week's time was 100 mgs, I would eyeball the capsule and imagine reducing one seventh each day.  If I didn't tolerate well one day, I would half the next reduction.  This actually wasn't too hard even opening the capsule and dumping in my hand.  Titration may make it easier to be precise.  I found I tolerated 50 mgs per week really well but I didn't drop 50 mgs all at once, I would imagine removing 1/7th each day until I finished dropping 50 mgs. 

Find what works for you and keep with it.  If it becomes too difficult, keep going but slow a bit - hold or make smaller reductions.  Don't give up.  They sxs do not last forever.  Just keep in mind "This too shall pass" and keep busy. :)

Best wishes to all.

Ever...

Just to check in.  I have tapered for 5 days dropping 5mg a day doing water titration.  Symptoms have been all over body warmth, tinnitus, leg pain, nerve ending pain and sometimes a headache.  The symptoms have been the same each day and at the same time of the day.  So far it has been tolerable - praying that doesn't change.

Hugs,

Patti

I am hoping this particular thread on gabapentin is seeing a lot of traffic because I wish to ask the bulk of of my queries here.

I have been on gabapentin for 8 years with no period of abstinence.  2-3 days ago, I ran out of my prescription early as a result of misuse early this month (for me, it is used to combat anxiety and depression.)  I went without it for only one and and a half days worth of 300mg capsules (I am prescribed 1500mg per day, but often take more).

While I was waiting for the doctor to call in an extra supply to hold me over, it was the most bizarre, uncomfortable and painful trip I have undergone in my life.  The dominating symptoms were severe vertigo, and nausea with vomiting.  I did have some burning, overactive nerves before the major wave hit:

For about 15-30 minutes, during what I will call the "culmination" or "peak" of this whole rattle, it seemed as if the left and right side of my "psyche" were moving in opposite directions, my anxiety peaked, and for a moment, I thought I might have already died.  There was a physical sensation accompanying this component as well.  That is, I could feel and almost see the separation of the "hemispheres."  My environment, with which I was very familiar, became almost 100% alien to me.

After this, the vertigo hit, and, unluckily for me, it hit me while in the shower.  The shower became like a prism in space that tossed me around as I tried to grasp on to anything.  It then finally spit me out, crashing me through the glass shower doors. Amazingly there was no shattering of glass, and I sustained no injury.

At this point I finally was able to send someone out for my refill (I couldn't stand up), and for two days I lied in bed while the drug slowly reinstated itself. (The vertigo lasted for almost the entirety of this time.)

I must add that I had just abruptly quit a 10-day period of daily clonazolam use, which certainly fueled this to a greater extent.

I wanted to tell this story, and ask if anyone has experienced the profound feeling of being transported to an alternate reality while in withdrawal.  It gives the feeling of an "afterlife" or that you no longer exist.  I have heard that derealization is common (esp. in benzo withdrawal), but I never imagined it to grow to this intensity.

I now want to quit gabapentin with a taper.  My main question now is in regards to magnesium.  I have used ReMag with success and tapered from 1500mg to 900mg.  But I am wondering what other brands can be use effectively.  Even though I will most likely return to using ReMag, I will be using another form a well (I used it and Doctor's Best together for my first attempt at a taper.)

For those of you who read the whole story, thanks for the interest.

If you have feedback, please PM me in addition to leaving it here.  Thanks!

Hi all,

Just wanted to check in. I'm down to 800 mgs, & will be holding while I continue on & finish out my remeron taper. Hoping that won't take too long, & that I won't have a bad wd so, that I may the forge ahead with my gaba taper. I've decided to come off remeron first, because I believe it's contributed to my severe restless legs at night. I ct'd my medical marijuana tincture that was helping me with my insomnia & restless legs, because it's effectiveness was wearing off. I also didn't like the side effects of thc. So after 7 months of taking it, I just stopped it. This has caused pretty severe insomnia & the return of my restless legs. I know that gabapentin is frequently prescribed for this, so my doc wants me to stay on it, but I told her I want off everything...she was not happy!! Aside from the rl, & insomnia, I think I'm doing pretty well thus far. The vertigo is still there to some extent, however it's no longer as intense. I'm continuing my gym workouts, although the insomnia sometimes sidelines me. Hoping that once I start tapering again, my sxs will remain tolerable & that my rl & insomnia improve. Fingers crossed!!

Hope you're all hanging in there & getting through this too!

Hugs,

Laelani

Lealani, and popcornlady, kudos on your tapering!! :smitten:

Sadly, I had to hold on my tapering with gabapentin this week. The withdrawals are just too much and the 6 grams of inositol is not helping much anymore. :'(

Amazingly, I dropped 400mg of gabapentin in two months and managed the wx's better than any of my attempts in the past with the help of inositol. But now I am suffering!!!  Perhaps I am not at a high enough dose of the inositol. My doctor said I could increase to 6 grams of inositol safely on an email consult. Now that statement scares me a bit, but I do have a follow on appoinment next week and will look for some clarification on that.

I tried the ReMag magnesium a year ago, got up to 800 mg but it was not helping my wx's-- the massive nerve and muscle pain, dark depression and severe increase in anxiety, chest tightness to where I couldn't breath were almost impossible! Then again my crazy doctor at that time (whom I am not seeing anymore) had me drop one whole 400 mg pill at once!  A new doc and wiser to these crazy wx's, I have to take the tapers slower. I am no longer as scared of these crazy wx's as I can see the patterns now. I still hate them and wish I could go faster  :tickedoff:  Holding for a few weeks allows my body to recover and feel strong enough to continue.

I might try the magnesium again to see how things go.

I will let things settle out to establish some baselines again.  Check back soon.

Butterfly

Hi all.

I'm at 500 mg. holding.

Hi Lala,

I'm so sorry you've been through hell & back with these stupid psych meds! I completely understand just how difficult it is to get off of them. As far as gaba is concerned, if your psych can prescribe it, I would suggest you do a liquid taper. You can taper at 5 mgs a day & hold when necessary. This is a much more gentle way to go about it. I've heard from many other gaba taperers that it's the best way to lessen the severity of any withdrawal symptoms. I'm doing this, & I've tapered down by 300 mgs in about 2 1/2 months. I'm now holding due to having vertigo & restless legs at night from it. I plan on continuing it next week. So I suggest you speak with your doctor about doing a taper this way.

I wish you luck & if you have any other questions please ask!

Take care & hang in there!

Hugs,

Laelani

Hi Laelani!

Sorry this is a bit late. I try not to log on here much.

My psych wont but my neurologist (she is an angel) who prescribes my liquid librium, prescribed me liquid gaba for when I am ready!

I may just do a few a week when I am done with my Librium. I just have such violent reactions.

Thank you so much for replying. Knowing others feel what I feel gives me comfort!

Lora  :smitten:

• 4 weeks later...

Just reporting in.  I will be taking my last 5mg's of Gabapentin tonight.  I am tapering by liquid titration.  I was on 300mg a day.  I went down by 100mg at first. I had to hold at 200mg for about 25 days.  Since then I have tapered 5mg a night.

The worse symptom appears to be nerve pain/electrical charge throughout the body.  Even have sharp pains in my toes that feels like razor blades.  Tinnitus, anxiety, insomnia, dizziness, etc.

I have done some reading and hope that because I titrated the contents of this capsule I will be over the severe w/ds quickly.  Will come back and post.

Patti  :smitten: 

Hope everyone is

Question for all.

During detox and rehab this past Jan-feb I was on high

Doses of neurontin.

I weaned myself of from March to May.

I had a bad setback after getting steroids during surgery in May.

I'm back on at 300 mg three times a day

I don't know how long I'll be on it.

What at I looking at as far as withdraw?

Is it as bad as benzos?

I just wanted to add my story. I stopped klonopin after a rapid taper / cold turkey and felt like I was healing. I ended up crashing for awhile in a deep depression but still felt like my body was on the path to getting better.

During my depression I couldn't make my appointment to refill my gabapentin and my doctor didn't call me in any refills. I ended up c/t of 900mg gabapentin over a month ago.

Ever since then every single day has been a terrible struggle physically. My entire body has been thrown into a unregulated mess in terms of hormones and  cortisol. It's not getting better or improving at all either like I felt my klonopin wothdrawals were.

I feel like I've broken my body completely. I never thought gabapentin was a serious medicine as my doctor said to me it is "the safest medicine there is."

i would like to say hello to this group. I c/t high doses of gabapentin twice. from 2400mg-3600mg to basically 0.  with no crazy symptoms. so i am not sure how this drug can cause bad w/d (i believe people who say it does), at least in my case. but since it is a great help for sleep during w/d of benzos. I am taking 300-600mg at sleeptime only.

anybody here thinks this is a bad drug to take during benzo w/d (especially with no w/d symptoms) ?

i would like to say hello to this group. I c/t high doses of gabapentin twice. from 2400mg-3600mg to basically 0.  with no crazy symptoms. so i am not sure how this drug can cause bad w/d (i believe people who say it does), at least in my case. but since it is a great help for sleep during w/d of benzos. I am taking 300-600mg at sleeptime only.

anybody here thinks this is a bad drug to take during benzo w/d (especially with no w/d symptoms) ?

If it helps you and you've had no bad experiences then I'd say continue to use it to help your withdrawals. I think each of us responds so differently to everything and our bodies are affected by benzo withdrawal differently. I've had my body completely unregulated in terms of hormones and cortisol from stopping benzos and gabapentin so I suffer from atypical symptoms (weight gain, constant hunger, sleeping all the time). Others struggle with the exact opposite

Question please.

I just restarted gabapentin 3 weeks ago because I had a terrible setback in May.

I am not tolerating any other med (SSRI, Remeron, Wellbutrin) and I am not strong enough to do this

Med free.  Maybe when I'm further out.

How long have you been taking gabapentin?

At what dose?

How long have you been tapering?

How difficult has it been?

Thanks ahead of time

Question please.

I just restarted gabapentin 3 weeks ago because I had a terrible setback in May.

I am not tolerating any other med (SSRI, Remeron, Wellbutrin) and I am not strong enough to do this

Med free.  Maybe when I'm further out.

How long have you been taking gabapentin?

At what dose?

How long have you been tapering?

How difficult has it been?

Thanks ahead of time

I took gabapentin for over four years at 900mg a day but during my acute withdrawal I would take 1500mg occasionally on some very tough days.

My taper was quick. I cut in half my dose of Klonopin, held for 15 days then basically did a c/t.

I feel like an odd duck because my symptoms and withdrawals aren't the "common" features everyone else has. Besides the acute phase which seemed typical. But now I struggle with symptoms that aren't frequent here (sleep all the time, weight gain, hormonal problems, hot flashes) and I lack symptoms others struggle with (anxiety, insomnia, weight loss, loss of appetite, muscle pains).

• 2 weeks later...

It has been 14 days since I took the last dose of Gabapentin.  I tapered by 5mg down to nothing.  I am not sleeping well, but do get some sleep.  I continue to have nerve pain in the feet and calves of my legs, but it only seems to get bad when I lay down.  Maybe I am just not distracted enough then.  Still have tinnitus, but not as bad and only seem to notice when I have high sugar or MSG.  All in all, I am doing much better.

I plan on taking CALM (magnesium) tonight to see if it helps with sleep.  Came highly recommended. Just need to start very low or could cause diarrhea.

Hugs,

Patti