Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Remeron (Mirtazapine) Withdrawal Support Group

[no...]

Hiyas. No it hit right away thus time. The w/ ds are indescribable. You think you will not survive the day they rack the body so bad plus all the rest, panic fear etc. these are heavy duty withdrawals and totally erratic even at 6 months off.  They seem never - ending. No comparison to Mirt.  Thanks for the support

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ja...]

• [Co...]

• [ja...]

• [no...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a question, that I hope someone can answer.

Can Remeron be dissolved in something, like Vodka, so I can titrate off of it the same way I am doing my Ativan??

I think Remeron is really messing with me. I love the sleep it gives, but I am thinking it is really messing with my heart and some of my labs.

I have only been taking 3.75 mg for the last 7 months.

Thanks,

Nana  :smitten:

Sophia,  Unless you get a liquid version of Remeron, you can only create a suspension in water, not a dissolved solution.  Even the oral disintegrating tabs don't dissolve, only create a suspension.  This is not a problem.  If you have a suspension, just swirl it around and withdraw the correct amount while it is still swirling.   

If definitely was the cause of palpitations and increased heart rate for me.  I'm now down to 2mgs from 15, and the heart issues have subsided.  Much of the 24/7 dizziness has decreased as well as I've gotten down lower.  However, I still have a lot of joint aches and pains, which I attribute to the Rem taper.  Of course, it could still be the fact of being off Benzos for 13 months.  Who knows?  Best of luck with this madness.

JRod, how are you doing, my friend?

Is this something that should wait until we are done tapering the benzo's?? Or, would it be okay to start very slow with now??

Thanks,

Nana  :smitten:

I just read some of these stories........not to downplay anyones misery but my dog, who is my child was given remeron for appetite for 2 mo ths..she survived her illness and I took the remerom...I knew right away something was different but the vet didnt realize the wd...I bought a scale and began the process of wding her..she was so touchy and hiding under the bed for days..she would bite and snarl, not like her at all.....finally 2  months later she is sleeping some and not so nasty but I can imagine what you are going through..this drug scares me terribly....please friends , be careful.......it made my dog eat like she was starving....flower

Hi Angel  /.  BT

Angel

at month 1/2 off did you experience any short windows at all ?

Also aside from fear panic anxiety did you have Ocactional depression?

I'm at an every other day cycle where sx's are so horrific, start thinking I won't make it.

This last entire day into evening ,then maybe after exhaustion the following day is less intense.

THX jrod

BT; one day at a time sometime mim by min. Hope ur well! Jrod

Hi Jrod. I am feeling much better today. My first good day after 6 months torture has arrived!

Re u, every one of us reacts differently with symptoms. There is no one formula. What you are feeling someone may not feel but may feel something else.  I don't think I documented my Mirt sx's but they were very bad. I had all the ones you listed in your earlier post

Time and patience is the only healer. You have to accept and learn to distract and not worry as worry makes it worse.  You are not ill. You are just in withdrawal. Try not to self pity or freak out.  Think of people who truly do have to live with something horrible for life. Yours is only temporary and it will pass!! 

Be strong and sensible and do something to take your mind off it. I know it is horrendous but you won't be like this for ever.

Angel so glad you are having a much need break after so so long!!

I do everything to distract possible. I never stay at home all day in fact I start freaking out when I start heading home. I walk at least twice a day and the rest of the time I try to work.it's hard when I get hit like this morn with anxiety and then it switches to this desperate emptiness and desperation thinking feeling what everyone else feels,

Will this ever end. L

Thk u Angel for your encouragement it is very much appreciated!

As far as your wonderful day may they never end. It's time for that off switch.

Let me knw if it's ok to pm u on ocation?

Jrod

Hi Jrod

Only we ourselves can help ourselves!  We are all fighting our own battles.  Maybe you can find a therapist for support while you go through this. I have one though am seeing her less and less now which is a good sign.

I have blocked messages from anyone actually.  In fact I rarely use this board just for updates occasionally and happened to respond to your message yesterday. Going to disappear now anyway to complete my recovery and get on  with real life.  Maybe you should also take a break from the board and not focus so much on this?

All the best

Angel

Angel, thank you.

I know you've had a long rough road and I'm so happy your improving and soon will be where you need to be. My doctor and therapist mention staying off the boards as well. I have cut down considerably and I think its sound advice.

All the best to you,

Has anyone experienced Remeron  Rage?    It causes me to get very angry.  I'm not on it yet.  Dr wants to see if it can help with my lorazepam taper.

Anyone......

Try

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone experienced Remeron  Rage?    It causes me to get very angry.  I'm not on it yet.  Dr wants to see if it can help with my lorazepam taper.

Anyone......

Try

Hi Try,

Remeron can give you rage and a lot more terrible symptoms. I cant say if remeron will help your lorazepam taper. I am in terrible withdrawal from the remeron and I need to try to stay of the benzo's as far as I can for anxiety and insomnia. So I would not recommend substituting one with the other. But I read a lot of people do it the way you are suggested. But if you already feel rage you will not know what is a side effect from remeron or what is from you withdrawal from lorazepam.

Good luck!

Anyone else going through remeron withdrawal right now? I am on day 13 and it is really awful. For the first day I feel craving. My body screems for a dose.

My blood level was so low my psychiatrist thought I could stop without problems. It was 1/4 of the lowest therapeutic dose. Metabolite was to low to measure. But I guess blood level do not correspond with brain levels. I think there is little needed in the blood to keep the levels up in the brain. I have the feeling most people dont have much trouble with tapering till they reach 3 mg or something.

I hope I get through this.

Hi Vanille,

I'm down to 1.2mgs of Remeron , from the original 15mg, over the past 9 months.  I have 23 more days to go until I'm completely off.  It's been pretty awful, mainly the anxiety and dizziness.    I've been doing a liquid titration reducing 10% per month.  The only thing I've found to quell the symptoms is medical high cbd MJ products. 

I'm 14 months free of Klonopin in which I took 17 months to get off .6mgs of K.  I think that the Remeron taper has been worse than the benzo taper .  This is truly an evil poisonous drug for many susceptible people.  Good luck to you.

Hi Benzotired!

You are almost there!

Funny you mention the CBD oils. Someone else suggested those to me this weekend. I think I will try them. Everything I tried for relief is making me anxious. I took oxazepam for some relief (did not intend to take something like that daily!) But it made my mind relax and that is when the anxiety hits. So I wont take this again. I also tried propranolol 10 mg. It is good for the night, but I cant also take it in the afternoon. It almost knocked me out this afternoon with low heartrate but when I started to fall asleep the anxiety was there again. Later in the afternoon it felt very relaxing as long as I kept my eyes open.

Till now I havent had any diziness. I have hyperacusis that worries me. I already was sensitive to sounds but now it is really disturbing. I hope it will pass soon.

My psychiatrist did not believe I was in withdrawal from such a low dose! I finally convinced him with the whole list of symptoms I have.

Good to hear CBD oil is helping you. We need some relief sometimes! How much do you take? Ow, maybe it is hard to compare this kind of stuff. I know a good resource but I dont know anything about concentrations.

Good luck to you too!

Dave/Angel, all who have posted,

I stopped Remeron in March without tapering on instruction of my doctor but my doctor replaced it with Valdoxan, another AD. I had aches and pains for a few days but functioned fine but I am sure this is because my benzodiazipine (Valium) and another AD were still part of my system (Prothiaden). I have since come off the Valdoxan over a 3 week period and started to taper Valium 1 July so I am down 3 mg there and down 25 mg of the Prothiaden. I will hold my tapering for the moment until I feel completely stable enough to cut more.

Feeling good and confident :thumbsup: Hope you continue to do well :thumbsup:

Day 15. I am feeling very down today. Till today my mood was okay and I could not cry even if  I wanted to, but today I cried very easily.

I hope it is a phase and I will not slip into depression. I am able to handle this if it comes in waves. Not if it stays for long.

Any experiences on this?

I believe it will pass as it did for me but we are all different and I am very new here. Sending you hugs and hope it gets better for you soon. I walk and do gardening... it helps. :thumbsup:

hi fellow mirtazapine users. i have been using mirt since february this year as needed on a low dose 3.75-7.5mg mostly for sleep when i am in a rough patch. i also use it when i get depressed or anxious during a wave. i never used more than 3 or 4 days in a row. last time i used it was june24-26 at 3.75mg for 3 days in a row.

i had anxiety due to some stressors this past week and i went for a 3-day hold in my daily V taper and i took 3.75mg of mirt again july28 after more than a month of not taking any.

my question is, can PRN usage like this at this low dose turn on me in the future? everytime i stopped taking i did not have much difficulty. i am just worried about some posts i read that mirtazapine will turn against you at some point.

any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

thanks all buddies,

SF

Hiyas. No it hit right away thus time. The w/ ds are indescribable. You think you will not survive the day they rack the body so bad plus all the rest, panic fear etc. these are heavy duty withdrawals and totally erratic even at 6 months off.  They seem never - ending. No comparison to Mirt.  Thanks for the support

Thought I'd check in to say hello, Angel958.  Last time I was on forum, you were off the remeron and were going to go off Effexor.  How are you doing this summer?  Well, my father finally passed a couple months ago. How is your mother doing? I first took valium to try to cope with his cancer when he first started getting treatment around 2008.  I feel like I have a mild case of PTSD from the last year, chemotherapies, radiation, hospice... eventually he couldn't walk and I had to switch to male caregivers who could lift him and move him.  But he did die at home and remarkably, peacefully.  Had quite a bit of insomnia and wondered whether to try remeron or something to deal with the sleep issues and loss, but the most I did was have a couple glasses of wine a few times a week.  Even threw out two bottles of his Ativan (actually I took to the pharmacy for proper disposal).  Always wondered whether I would make it through this rough period without trying an a/d.  I've read too many stories here about how difficult it can be to taper off like many of you are bravely doing with remeron now.  It's been the roughest stress period since I first came to forum five years ago and dealt with tapering off.  Now I'm doing my best to not get hooked on anything new, as I process through the loss of my father and deal with the stress it has caused this past year.  Months and months of decline, multiple flights back and forth... that took its toll on me and my family, lost income, just took much longer than I thought it would, but he had a very strong life force and love of life.  Well, I hope you are doing well, Angel.  I tried to PM you but it was blocked.  Maybe you don't receive PMs anymore.  Hope everyone else is doing well with the tapers here.

take care,

Vertigo

Hi Vertigo

I do pop in here from time to time. No I do t get pm's any more but perhaps you have an old message from me with my email address. 

I am so very sorry to hear about your dad. It was inevitable I suppose and I hope he passed peacefully.  Mum is the same.  She is in a new but better Home now and doing well even though she is deteriorating

Please please try to avoid any other psych med. I think you are as sensitive as me and believe me you don't want to go through the  I've been and am still going through

I don't feel like going into detail bit am 6 months off Effexor and still struggling badly. It is crippling

You take care and stay strong

Hugs

Angel xx

Had some 'better' days. Lots of symptoms but minor ones. Today I had bad depersonalisation, anxiety and lots of other symptoms. I am really afraid to get very depressed and I wont get out of it without medication. I know I need to push through but it is very hard.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I just read through your posts and was so let down by the difficulty everyone's having with their Remeron tapers!  I just had my first prescription for it filled today after a horrible time at .19 mg Klonopin...been tapering from .75 for a couple of years.  I read rave reviews of Remeron in other posts on BB and thought this might be the way to complete my Klonopin taper in the next few months.  Or I could switch to Valium.  I've heard that's easier to reduce than the Klon.  If you were in my shoes, what might you choose to do???  BTW, my symptoms are insomnia (duh) - 2 hours last night, some anxiety, shakiness, weakness, cog fog, and fatigue.  Sometimes I feel like I'm on the edge of losing control...yikes!  Gettin' scary!

Thanks ahead for your replies.

Ms Jolly,

I dont think I can advise you on this. You should hear from people who used remeron as a substitute and how they did coming off. I personally think it will mask your symptoms and they'll come back with remeron taper. When one thing helps tapering the other it probably takes over the effects of the first one. If you try, take the lowest dose.

Good luck!