What's up with the Remeron craze ?

[...]

Well, let's say that Remeron has gathered something of a fan club on this forum where people who do well on this med don't hide the fact that they are huge fans, and whenever someone starts a thread on insomnia they are the first to chime in and rave about Remeron. Words like "very safe med", "very effective sleep med", "very easy to discontinue", "very few side-effects", "easiest drug to come off of, it's all over the internet" are never far away. Even when speaking from personal experiences, that is practically the same as saying that all odds are with you when you want to try it for insomnia.

To call a drug "safe" goes beyond the individual experience as "safe" is an inherent quality and not something that one group of users will experience and another group won't.

I still don't get why someone would feel 'attacked' by my words, unless they are not happy with my speaking badly of Remeron. I could say the same and see the raving about Remeron as an attack at my person and to all those who got really sick from this med.

But you're right, I need to let this go, so I will.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [...]

• [pr...]

• [Ho...]

• [ja...]

LC,

I'm glad you started this thread.  You reminded me of what I went through on remeron.  I've never gained so much weight so quickly on any drug.  It's good to examine and reexamine any drug we take.

Ibble

There are all kinds of discussions on the forum where members have really strong opinions. Most of these are about taper methods or taper times. Rapid vs slow...etc. I think this forum is a place of strong feelings. We're all sort of struggling our way through this and doing the best we can. When we take a medication that doesn't agree with us, we want to shout it from the roof tops to keep others from making the same 'mistake". I believe this thread is laced with good intentions. I also know that fear of symptoms and disappointment when something doesn't work when you'd hope it would, is a very powerful motivator for these kinds of strong opinions. I don't believe anyone has any malice here. I think the intention here is to help.

Having said that, we don't want to confuse the issue with any sweeping statements about this medication nor should we confuse the issue with opinions unless it is clear that this are indeed opinions and not a statement of fact.

Hope,

There has not been anything supportive about this thread. Its all opinions experiences and arguments. These are the kind of threads I really want to avoid because they come with no support whatsoever. I find this happening in a couple of threads and they end and fade away because nobody gets anything out of them. This is my last comment on this thread. see ya

Hope,

There has not been anything supportive about this thread. Its all opinions experiences and arguments. These are the kind of threads I really want to avoid because they come with no support whatsoever. I find this happening in a couple of threads and they end and fade away because nobody gets anything out of them. This is my last comment on this thread. see ya

This is a forum. The very nature of a forum means there will be posts about opinions, experiences and yes, even arguments. We are all people who are ill. To expect each and every thread to be of a supportive nature and that there will be no debate or arguments, especially when most of our members are ill, isn't realistic.

My suggestion is that you ignore the threads you think are upsetting and read other threads. There are those who might be very interested in this thread. Those are the members who should read it. This is on the Other Medications board. This is a board to discuss other medications. I see that that's what has been done with this thread.

This is a forum. The very nature of a forum means there will be posts about opinions, experiences and yes, even arguments. We are all people who are ill. To expect each and every thread to be of a supportive nature and that there will be no debate or arguments, especially when most of our members are ill, isn't realistic.

My suggestion is that you ignore the threads you think are upsetting and read other threads. There are those who might be very interested in this thread. Those are the members who should read it. This is on the Other Medications board. This is a board to discuss other medications. I see that that's what has been done with this thread.

Good point, Hope.  We can't forget that we are ill.  We won't always be perfectly rational.  There are times I really want to read someone the riot act and then realize I need to cut them some slack - afterall, they may really be struggling and not feeling well at all.  And I'm edgy and not myself either.

I actually have to say to myself, (borrowing and paraphrasing scripture) "Be swift to listen, swift to forgive",  "Giveth slack and slack will be given unto you".  If people are defensive or aggressive they are struggling.  They really wanted this or that drug or treatment to work and may not be able to cope with anything remotely negative about it.  They need it to work.  There's a whole spectrum of neediness and edginess when it comes to benzo recovery.

I'm reminded of all those lifeboat movies where the passengers, crazed with hunger and thirst, start turning on each other.  It's one long argument in a cramped, tiny, boat.  Of course people will be on edge.  That said, the people here are far better behaved and this boat better run, better administrated, than anything in the movies.  (so why did I bring up the lifeboat movies again?)

:) Ibble

Good point, Hope.  We can't forget that we are ill.  We won't always be perfectly rational.  There are times I really want to read someone the riot act and then realize I need to cut them some slack - afterall, they may really be struggling and not feeling well at all.  And I'm edgy and not myself either.

I actually have to say to myself, (borrowing and paraphrasing scripture) "Be swift to listen, swift to forgive",  "Giveth slack and slack will be given unto you".  If people are defensive or aggressive they are struggling.  They really wanted this or that drug or treatment to work and may not be able to cope with anything remotely negative about it.  They need it to work.  There's a whole spectrum of neediness and edginess when it comes to benzo recovery.

I'm reminded of all those lifeboat movies where the passengers, crazed with hunger and thirst, start turning on each other.  It's one long argument in a cramped, tiny, boat.  Of course people will be on edge.  That said, the people here are far better behaved and this boat better run, better administrated, than anything in the movies.  (so why did I bring up the lifeboat movies again?)

:) Ibble

Thank you Vribble.  :laugh:

[96...]

Hope,

define "support"...ya mean what the Drs and Medical Board would say??? :D

yes this forum is really a supportive and loving forum compared to the nastyness out there on the internet. i've never seen anything like it. i hope that it continues to stay this way--i think it will. we are benzo survivors of the worst kind. we've been through a war--no different. but everyone is going through their own personal experience and there is always a tendency to see things differently. that's what spices it up a bit. i for one am glad this thread was started as i really wanted to shout out my experience of the remeron. but thank God there are medications that do work for people and get them through things.

we don't want to be as controlling as Tom Cruise was ~

http://www.inflexwetrust.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/ifwt-tom.jpeg

he's got a good chin ::)

but do you remember how he was with Brooke Shields? well, that's what i thought about during this thread.

but i still understand the both side of it :smitten:

The Remeron molecule is similar to THK (pot) minus the CH3 parts and hydroxide that get you high.

Remeron is a single molecule and its mirror image molecule too.

Think about it -

THE MUNCHIES - DRY MOUTH -  SLEEPY - NON ADDICTIVE - SHORT TERM MEMORY LOSS

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag4/birdman22222/mirtazapine_zps2fb882e6.jpg

Hi Bird, was given it in early withdrawal & was hopeful it would work for sleep but I would just lie there feeling stoned & still felt out of it the next day. Experimented with slithers which helped with the morning after effect but still didn't help sleep so I abandoned it.

None of the antihistamines ever worked for the insomnia either & I don't even have much luck with them to treat allergies so it seems that this class of med doesn't suit me.

On the upside, its likely that you will know if it suits you after only a few doses. The lower doses are more effective for sleep & less likely to bring on all the side fx.

I have had a few doses of prozac & they were mood brightening but just a little too speedy so swapped for St John's wort which has different biochemistry & have been doing well moodwise with that & SAME.