[so...]

Hey SW,

Yes, I took over a week off just to "regroup" so to speak. I am over 3 months benzo free and feeling pretty good. Have had a nice window that I hope will never shut!! You said you were on 1mg of klono at the beginning of January; what size cuts have you been making? I can't believe the dose you are already down to!! You are on the home-stretch!! Head pressure and derealization.....had both of those!! I still get the derealization and it's not that pleasant. Usually goes hand in hand with depression for me. Right now, the mental stuff is far outweighing the physical. I have to really stay on top of my thoughts, or I can spiral pretty fast. I'm not sure if this is how it's going to always be or if I am still recovering. I hope the correct answer is still recovering. Benzo withdrawals are not for the faint at heart, that is for sure.

I know it gets hard to decide whether or not to titrate the final amount. Hind site, I wish that I would have titrated. I really think it would be the best way to end a taper. .25mg is not a miniscule amount in my opinion. I can't stand when people say that. When I was down to that amount, a chiropractor said it's so small she might as well just stop taking it. Well, I jumped off from .125mg and thought I got hit with a mack truck five days later! Benzos are very powerful; don't let their size fool 'ya!! I just want you to know that you are doing soooo great.

Lori :smitten:

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [so...]

• [Th...]

• [Lo...]

• [Be...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd second that about the taper, from what little I know so far, anyway.  I dropped from 1.04 to 1.0mg and had to hold for 10 days!  You wouldn't think - I mean. .04!  Back to titrating at .01 last couple days and hope it works.  It's dreary looking at how many months it's going to take, but I don't care - if I don't have to feel sick all the time, it's worth it.

Snow

Hi LoriLee: Glad to hear you are having a WINDOW it's about time!!!! I checked my notes and I've had this derealization just over a week, and it's a pain, however I read it's the minds way of dealing with anxiety, so I guess I'd rather have that then anxiety, which I've had....my concentration is off, and I find it hard to put the right words together too, which is really frustrating...

I made a large cut Jan.1st from .50 at the start down to .25 which was too much, but didn't know any better....since then I either cut .125 then .0625 cuts...

So, now down to 2X .125 of Clono during the day, then cutting the Ativan down from .5 down to around .40 or less...I'm guesstimating as I shave a bit off each night before bed...

I'm just not sure whether to switch over to Clono at night....Colin suggested a way to switch over splitting the doses but I kind of backed out after a week, as my sleep was going south....

I Know my sleep will suffer eventually, but I've been prolonging cutting that nighttime ativan...

However, at least I haven't been updosing....What I'm thinking might be happening is that I may be getting tolerance withdrawal, or maybe just reved up symptoms getting towards the lower daytime dose...

This is all so daunting as my Doc, as good a guy as he is just says keep on doing what you are doing...

I look at my history with benzos, and I realize that I started on Ativan last April 08 for 2 months, then went off over the summer, then started back up through the fall, and went off again in December....I truly had no idea what was happening, and I don't want to go through this hell ride again...

You mentioned titrating might be the route to go for the last stretch.....I know some have dry cut till the end, but this seems like a way to smooth out the end so to speak....weird thing now is that when I take my supper dose, I get a headache about a half hour afterwards, where it used to give me relief...

Anyhow, any more insight would be great!

Take Care,

SW007

Hey SW,

I read the same thing about derealization. I get depressed at the same time I get the drealization, so I don't know if it's much better than the anxiety. Usually one leaves, and the other pops up. Still hating the benzos as you can tell! ;) When I first started my taper, my pdoc told me to do a .5mg cut (from 2mg total). I did it, not knowing any better and it was a nightmare. The next cut I did was .25mg and it was almost just as bad. So, I can relate to your .25mg cut. The .125mg and the .0625mg are so much more tolerable, that is for sure!! Being wise in all this is better than just rushing it to be done!

Have you thought about just keeping on cutting your clono and saning the evening ativan for last. That way, your sleep might not be too affected and you would only have one benzo left to have to taper off of? Just a thought, but if not, you could do Colin's switch over idea. Titration is still a good option, in my opinion. Yes, I am very proud of you for not updosing in all of this. It can be tempting at times, but does no good in the long run! The thought that does keep me pushing thru the withdrawals is the fact that I don't want to go thru this ride again as well!! I don't think I could do this twice. Knowing what to expect, I think, would make it even worse! Let us know what you decide to do as far as your taper. You have lots of choices and I know it's hard to decide what to do at times. Take care.....

Lori :smitten:

Hi Lori:Thanks for your imput....I'm curious about your experiences as they seem to mirror some of mine...

You mentioned that you've been having some good windows, which is great,  Are those days of no symptoms.....mentioned the derealization and depression/anxiety, I'm sorry you are still having those symptoms....did you have anxiety and depression prior to your benzo useage?

I have this tinnitus which is annoying in one ear, and I'm hoping it fades as I get off the benzos....Ashton says it usually does, however I'm getting some hearing loss...

Oh, well.

Keep me posted

SW007

Hi T2: I am down to .25 split 2 times a day of my Clono....I'm considering titrating this last phase.

How long do you think it would take me to titrate this? If you could pass it by Colin, that would be great. I'm not sure how to start a thread on the titration board.

Lori suggested tapering off my clono during the day, and then working on the nightime Ativan I know you talked about keeping a steady amount in the bloodstream during the day........still haven't crossed over the nightime Ativan to Clono, but may reattempt...

I'm working the Ativan down....I crush the .5 split it into 4 lines, then discard one and take the rest...

Perhaps there is a simple titration technique I could use to be more accurate?

Thoughts?

Thanks

SW007

Hi Songwriter -

Quickie response before Theresa's expert answer - but YES you can titrate more accurately by crushing the tabs and mixing with liquid.  You can get VERY exact.  There is info about the varous methods - direct taper, substituion , and titration on this site.  I am titrating Ativan this way, and Colin can run you a schedule on his data base that gives you the exact amount to drink - you don't even need to do any math. 

I haven't been doing the titration a long time - had to get my dose adjusted into two x day first.  You'll need a cylinder marked in mls - 1 ml increments is best.  You can find them online.  I also use a syringe to measure my different doses, though there are other ways.  Feed stores are the best places to find syringes.

Best, best wishes to you in this, and I'll meet you at the end of the tunnel! :)

Snow

HI All; has anyone heard of any adverse reaction between Ginko Biloba....spelled right this time...as opposed to the shout....I slipped when I typed it!....I've read it can help with tinnitus?

Thoughts?

SW007

Hey LL: how are things going for you?.....I've put in a request for titration with Colin, and if you check the taper board you can read his suggestions....I'm going to start tonight...He mentioned as everyone has, to taper the Ativan first...HOWEVER that's the one I take before bed...so I am going to start to taper both the Clono and Ativan at the same time...I think you came up with another idea a while back, but if you have any thoughts I'd be once again interested to hear them...I hope your depression and anxiety are lessening...

I'm dealing with this tinnitus/ear pain/ hearing loss in one of my ears....it's not overwhelming but distracting as I am a musicican, and Ashton mentions that hearing loss comes out in tapering..I'm also really hyper sensitive to anything loud or bright. Fun eh?

Other than that, I'm pretty stable....still sleeping fairly well....

Been practicing strict sleep hygiene....dark, no TV, cool, and lights out. If I wake up, I get right out of bed...don't even wait 5 minutes...go to the kitchen, make some Chamomile tea, eat some walnuts (tryptophan) and read or just journal a bit...then go back to bed, and this seems to work....I don't stress over not sleeping...I just say " I woke up, and now I'm going back to sleep"

It will be another story when I get really low, but strangely enough I seem to be getting better at times when I cut...like my body is now REJECTING the Drug?

Anyhow, hope things are well for you....when you feel like it give us an update!

All the best

SW007

Hi Songwriter -

It sounds like you're doing really well so far, and that is so good to hear (see?  read?)  I agree with you about the sleep thing - best thing I ever did was decide "well, it really doesn't matter much."  I find I get by on a lot less sleep that I thought I could, and I pace myself during the day.

I've not read any other posts that mention tapering two drugs at once.  I take ambien as well as the lorazepam, and will be interested to see how this works as I'd like to get rid of both of them.

Take care -

Snow

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone: just curious is anyone experienced sound sensitity ( Hyperacusis) during or after their taper....

I'm still tapering, and just average sounds are very loud!...Not to mention the ringing at night!

Just hoping that this lessens after my taper....Any experiences would be appreciated!

Kindly

Songwriter007

Hi Everyone: just curious is anyone experienced sound sensitity ( Hyperacusis) during or after their taper....

I'm still tapering, and just average sounds are very loud!...Not to mention the ringing at night!

Just hoping that this lessens after my taper....Any experiences would be appreciated!

Kindly

Songwriter007

Hi 007,

I have read about many here having super hearing during their tapers along with tinnitus. Here is what Dr. Ashton has to say about it.....

Sensory hypersensitivity. A characteristic feature of benzodiazepine withdrawal is a heightened sensitivity to all sensations - hearing, sight, touch, taste and smell. When extreme, these sensations can be disturbing. One lady had to stop all the clocks in the house because their ticking sounded unbearably loud; many have had to don dark glasses because ordinary light seemed dazzlingly bright. Some find that the skin and scalp becomes so sensitive that it feels as if insects are crawling over them. Heartbeats become audible and there may be a hissing or ringing sound in the ears (tinnitus - see below). Many people complain of a metallic taste in the mouth and several notice strange, unpleasant, smells which seem to emanate from the body. These sensations, including an unpleasant smell (which usually no-one else can detect) have been described in anxiety states in the absence of benzodiazepines. Like insomnia and panics, they are probably reflections of heightened activity in the central nervous system. Such hypervigilance is part of the normal fear and flight response which is damped down by benzodiazepines but undergoes a rebound during withdrawal.

These sensations return towards normal as withdrawal progresses, and some people are pleased with the new, seemingly extraordinary, clarity of their perceptions. Only in withdrawal do they realise how much their senses have been obscured by benzodiazepines. One lady described how thrilled she was when she could suddenly see individual blades of grass in her newly bright green lawn; it was like the lifting of a veil. Thus, these sensations need not give rise to fear; they can be viewed as signs of recovery.

• 2 months later...

Hi Songwriter007,

Just stopping by to wish you a....

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr185/theresa1958_bucket/happy-3.gif

Let us know how you are doing!!

T2 :smitten: