[so...]

Thanks Beeper for the prompt insight!....I just got the .25 Clono Tabs today, and they are tiny blue tabs!!!

They had to order them in, and I was hoping  they would be the same size as my .5 tabs, but NOOOO, they made them smaller....I was a bit disappointed as I figured they would easier to cut into quarters and eighths than the .5 tabs....So, I took my pill cutter and cut them into quarters which is .0625...I was able to make clean cuts without them crumbling, so I guess I'll be ok, however I was thinking to myself, talk about splitting hairs ::)

Just read some posts from Peaksandvalleys, and hope they can see the light soon...My heart goes out!!! :thumbsup:

It kind of made me a bit nervous, as my current taper is going  very well, but hope that I'm not in for a nightmare after I've finished with the benzos...Will continue to stay positive and stressfree!!!!

Told my Phamacist to PUT A RED WARNING LABEL on the bottle to not stop Abruptly....Spread the word!!!

Thanks for all the support and stay strong to those who are struggling!!!!

Songwriter007

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [so...]

• [Th...]

• [Lo...]

• [Be...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey songwriter,

I didn't know that klonopin came in the .25mg pills. I have had waffers in the .25mg dosage before (to put under my tongue to dissolve when having a panic attack). Sounds good that you can make clean, .0625mg cuts with the .25mg pills. I did a 4 1/2 month taper off klonopin and got hit pretty hard post benzos. I had spent about a year in tolerance to 2mg before I tapered, so maybe, that has something to do with it?? We are all different and there is no way of knowing how hard or easy we will get hit with withdrawals. The best thing to keep in mind, no matter what, is that what we go thru are signals of our bodies recovering/healing from the effects of the benzos, that "this too shall pass," and that the only way out of it is thru it. People that write post benzo success stories or are updating us on their progress, don't ever say they wish they had never gotten off benzos!! Everyone says how worth it it really is. Just stay positive and don't stop desiring to have a life that is free from benzos and you'll be fine....

Lori :smitten:

HI all: just wondering what people have found is a healthy alternative to insomnia post benzo taper?

I'm sleeping fine now, but want to be prepared down the road.

Had some tinnitus this morning after another cut, but Thankfully it went away...

Good thing is when symptoms crop up, I know they are mostly Benzo related!

Once again the KNOWING is a big part of the recovery!

Thanks

SW

Hey songwriter,

I had a post benzo insomnia wave hit me for a couple of weeks. I didn't take anything for it! But, have read other suggestions, which include: Benadryl (makes me wired), Tylenol PM, SleepyTime/Chamomille Tea, Melatonin (I have tried it, but didn't notice a difference), to start you off. Others may come by with their own suggestions. I did try ear plugs, I use one of those soft, sleep masks that go over your eyes, and I do something that may sound weird, but seems to work for me. When my eyes are shut, I look into the darkness and see little dots/specks. Focus on those and it puts me to sleep; probably gets my mind off thoughts like I can't sleep, which gets me more frustrated. Praying has helped me as well to fall asleep. What works for one, doesn't always work for others, but I think it's great that you are getting prepared!!

Thanks Lori for your response!

What is a reasonable amount to step off of Clonoazapam? ???

You'd think logically that if you have tapered and have less of the drug in your system that it shouldn't take much after you step off?.... 8)

I guess the body has to heal (GABA receptors) after the absence of drug in system...I've read some frightening stories about protracted symptoms going on for months and wonder if this is typical or due to overrapid withdrawal, or combination of other factors such as other meds, or pre-existing conditions...

Any other post stories would help!  I've read the Benzo recovery Board, which gave me lots of positive feedback!

Thanks

SW

Hi Again Lori: I see by your schedule you finished at the start of Dec. at around .125 total...

It's been nearly 2 months, how goes the progress?....How long were you on the Clono?

SW

Hi songwriter,

I have been off Xanax for 6 months and still get some waves although they are nowhere as intense as w/d's.  The first couple of months post-benzos was about the same as withdrawals during tapering.  My taper process was real rough but it has been so worth it.  Just take it a day at a time.  Everyone's experience is so different but I have found that it does take awhile to fully heal.  Please don't let that scare you because every month the symptoms ease.  I also noticed that a cold, flu or other illnesses do rev up symptoms.  Please be aware that fluoroquinolone antibiotics should not be taken during the healing process.  Best wishes.

Patty  xo

Hey SW,

Yes, I am 7 weeks benzo free. Yesterday, was my first whole day of a window. Felt good from the time I woke up till when I went to bed!! I am thankful for that. I was on klonopin for about 7 years and spent the last year in tolerance to it. Compared to tolerance, my taper was very tolerable. It took me 4 1/2 months to taper down from the 2mg. I did jump off from .125mg, but wish that I would have cut that dose in half and taken the .0625mg in the pm for 2 weeks, then jumped off. Just would have given my body more time to adjust. Would it have really made all that much of a difference? Only God knows for sure! I would think that .0625mg would be a reasonable amount of clonazepam to step off of. Of course, titrating would probably be the best way to go, hindsite!! I got hit big on day 5 post benzos. But, reinstating was just not an option for me; I didn't want to go thru this again, even for 1 day! Now, when the waves hit, they are no where as intense as in the beginning month. Unfortunately, we don't know who will get hit bad with withdrawals and who won't. Just take what comes at you and ride it out, knowing that this too shall pass!!

Hi Lori and Stoney: I need to modify my profile, as I'm still tapering...I had been taking Ativan fairly frequently for about 6 months, went through mini withdrawals not knowing it,  but went into withdrawal after I stopped on Dec. 12th for about 11 days, which was no picnic! Hence all my preparation for stepping off in a month or so!

So I'm tapering at the 10% wkly rate after my Doc put me on Clono, thinking I had Anxiety Disorder, little did we know I was withdrawing from the Ativan thinking I had a wicked flu....but didn't have a fever and was waking up every 2 hours with high anxiety, so didn't know WHAT was going on...this just added to the anxiety, and like I mentioned before it's the NOT KNOWING that is terrifying!

I think from what I've read that titration is a smooth way to go, as you get down to such a miniscule amount.

I'm considering going to titration after I cross over totally my nighttime dose of Ativan to Clono.

Anyhow, other stories are welcome!

Songwriter007

Just wondering if Clarithromycin (antibiotic) is one that should not be combined with Benzos?

I was having stomach cramps back in October and was away from home, and the Doc put me on this and Flagal, thinking I had H-pylori ( bacteria associated for causing ulcers) and took a WICKED reaction!

Had to go right off it, so was curious if anyone else knew of the drug interaction.

SW

Hey Lori: Congrats on the the full 1 day window!...I'm sure you felt GREAT having an entire DAY Vacation from Symptoms!...Gives us all encouragement to keep up the good work, Well Done, you should be PROUD!

My tapering is going well, however I'm tapering at around .0625 per week...seems to be working, but may try a little more, just to see.

SW

Hey SW,

Here is the list of the antibiotics to stay away from:

The following is a list of quinolone antibiotics. The generic name is first, followed by brand names and possibly notes.

Ciprofloxacin: Ciproxin, Cipro, Baycip, Centraxal, Ciflox, Ciplox, Ciprolet, Cyprobay, Quintor, Ciloxan (eye drops)

Enoxacin: Pentrex (removed from the market by the manufacturer)

Gatifloxacin: Tequin, Gaity

Gemifloxacin: (USFDA refused approval of this drug in 2001)

Grepafloxacin: Raxar (removed from the market in 1999 due to serious cardiac events “where a casual relationship with Rexar could not be excluded)

Levofloxacin: Levaquin, Tavanic (is on the UK Medicines Control Agency’s ‘Black Triangle List’, which means it is under intensive surveillance)

Lomefloxacin: Lomaday, Maxaquin

Mosifloxacin: Avelox

Norfloxacin: Noroxin, Amicrobin, Anquin, Baccidal, Barazan, Biofloxin, Floxenor, Fulgram, Janacin, Lexinor, Norilet, Norofin, Norxacin, Orixacin, Oroflox, Urinox, Zoroxin

Ofloxacin: Floxin, Ocuflox Ophthalmic (eye drops)

Perfloxacin: Perti (removed from the market due to toxicity problems)

Sparfloxacin: Sparflo, Zagam (removed from the market due to severe toxicity problems)

Temafloxacin: Omniflox (removed from the market due to severe liver and renal damage)

Trovafloxacin: Trovan (removed from the market due to toxicity problems)

Tapering at .0625mg per week sounds like a great idea! I wish that I would have titrated or atleast made the .0625mg cuts. Don't rush it. You will get to benzo freedom, but after that you want a tolerable recovery period. So, keep going like you are!! I ended up having 2 window days in a row! It was wonderful. The day after wasn't so well, but I have a ton of hope! Take care....

Hi LoriLee: WOW, what a list!...This is important, as many people may not be aware of the drug interaction, and it's important that your GP knows which antibiotic will interact with Benzos.

Glad to hear you had 2 clear days!....I've been doing very well, so will maintain the .0625 rate of reduction.

I'm more concerned about having a smooth taper, as I've been through too much with my unintentional

cession of Ativan back in Dec... Like I said before I had only been on 1mg of Ativan, but it was for a period of more than 4 months, so I guess I had enough in my system to warrant withdrawal symptoms...

My Doctor put me on 2X .5 doses of Clonoazapam plus .5 mg of Ativan at bed to sleep. However I had some Really bad reactions such as waking up every 2 hours with the back of my head tremoring, as well as high dysphoria, anxiety, depersonalization, memory  and concentration problems, not to mention constant headaches....So perhaps I had some toxicity going on... I looked back on my dosing journal and things started to improve around 3 wks ago, so I'm glad to be stablized, and perhaps I'm responding positively to decreasing amounts of Benzo in my system....I'm sleeping really now ( last night was a solid 7 hours!!!) , which is a GODSEND, as we all know when Insomnia rears it's ugly head...Some may think my concerns are overkill, however I'm a firm believer in being prepared for the worst, which has always worked for me!

Seems that there are no absolutes when it comes to post benzo w/ds,  however,  I'm sure there are some who after slow tapering, have had a reasonable post benzo recovery...I remember reading that slow and steady wins the race, so I'm sticking to this motto! Besides it doesn't matter if it takes 3 months or 6 months, as long as you are moving forward, and are comfortable along the way!

All the best!

SW

Hi LoriLee: WOW, what a list!...This is important, as many people may not be aware of the drug interaction, and it's important that your GP knows which antibiotic will interact with Benzos.

Glad to hear you had 2 clear days!....I've been doing very well, so will maintain the .0625 rate of reduction.

I'm more concerned about having a smooth taper, as I've been through too much with my unintentional

cession of Ativan back in Dec... Like I said before I had only been on 1mg of Ativan, but it was for a period of more than 4 months, so I guess I had enough in my system to warrant withdrawal symptoms...

My Doctor put me on 2X .5 doses of Clonoazapam plus .5 mg of Ativan at bed to sleep. However I had some Really bad reactions such as waking up every 2 hours with the back of my head tremoring, as well as high dysphoria, anxiety, depersonalization, memory  and concentration problems, not to mention constant headaches....So perhaps I had some toxicity going on... I looked back on my dosing journal and things started to improve around 3 wks ago, so I'm glad to be stablized, and perhaps I'm responding positively to decreasing amounts of Benzo in my system....I'm sleeping really now ( last night was a solid 7 hours!!!) , which is a GODSEND, as we all know when Insomnia rears it's ugly head...Some may think my concerns are overkill, however I'm a firm believer in being prepared for the worst, which has always worked for me!Seems that there are no absolutes when it comes to post benzo w/ds,  however,  I'm sure there are some who after slow tapering, have had a reasonable post benzo recovery...I remember reading that slow and steady wins the race, so I'm sticking to this motto! Besides it doesn't matter if it takes 3 months or 6 months, as long as you are moving forward, and are comfortable along the way!

All the best!

SW

Hey SW,

What a great, positive, and inspirational post!! You've got this benzo stuff figured out (IMO)!! The sentence above that I highlighted is wisdom when it comes to withdrawals. I wish that I would have thought a little bit more this way and then I might not have felt so blindsighted by post benzo withdrawals. I know we shouldn't think negatively, but to be realistic, that things could get rough, instead of underestimating things. I would rather plan for the worst, then if it is real tolerable....wonderful!! I hope you have a smooth taper and that recovery is speedy for you!!!!

Hi Again: I had a question for T2...How was your taper and post withdrawal experience? Did you have a lot of withdrawal symptoms after your last benzo, and how long did it last?

LoriLee; since you mentioned that you were in Tolerance for a year at 2mg how was your taper?

Did things get better as you cut to  a lower dose? I wish you more days of Clear Windows :thumbsup:

I'm so grateful for this forum and that I've stablized, having miminal symptoms (actually I feel almost back to my old self) however, I've been reading some other posts of others who are struggling, and my heart really does go out to them... :sick:

Has anyone seen any stories that have dealt with this in print or other forms of Media? Major Newspapers, TV, Radio? Seems the Ashton Manual is the only Major resource for this.

I get really angry  :tickedoff: when I think how Benzos have damaged so many lives ....It was so demoralizing to be running to the ER 4 times in 10 days and having the medical staff look at me as if I was nuts....And even worse was the fact that I didn't know what was going on myself!!

Happy Healing to All! :thumbsup:

SW

Hi Again: I had a question for T2...How was your taper and post withdrawal experience? Did you have a lot of withdrawal symptoms after your last benzo, and how long did it last?

Hi SW,

My titration taper was extremely slow and drawn out because of thyroid problems. You can look at my schedule "Tapering Log" in my signature line. I had minimal w/d symptoms during the slow taper and post benzo free. Mostly tired, depressed off and on, lack of motivation during the last of my  taper. During my thyroid problem while tapering, I had anxiety, starving but couldn't eat, insomnia, agoraphobia, tired, depressed and lack of motivation. Those symptoms improved when thyroid stabilized. Not sure that is all of it, don't remember all of them right now. Hope this helps?? :D

T2 :smitten:

Thanks for the response T2!...It's weird how different w/d symptoms appear out of nowhere. ???

I do relate to the lack of Motivation, which seems to like to visit...However, I try to do at least 3 things a day, and not overexert myself doing them, which seems to work....Getting out of bed in the morning takes a bit of work, however, once I get moving, I'm ok....When the sun comes  out, I'm ready to go! :)

Anyhow, just gathering info for my post Benzo recovery!

Cheers!

SW

LoriLee; since you mentioned that you were in Tolerance for a year at 2mg how was your taper?

Did things get better as you cut to  a lower dose? I wish you more days of Clear Windows :thumbsup:

Hey SW,

I did a 4 1/2 month taper from the 2mg of klonopin. By my third cut, I was cutting by .125mg (and a couple of .0625mg cuts) and things were pretty tolerable. I would have my harder days, but the windows always came. Yes, my tapering was much better than my year of tolerance, that is for sure. Some of it was just knowing what was causing all my symptoms and not having to rush to the ER or my primary dr. because I was freaking out over what might be wrong with me. I ended my taper by jumping off from .125mg and 5 days later, got hit with some major withdrawals. I was also taking a muscle relaxer at night during my taper, so by stopping this as well, it might have added to my symptoms??? The first 3 weeks were basically miserable. I have never had that kind of uncomfortableness before in my life. I remember when I got my first few hours of relief; I was so grateful!! Now I am 7 weeks benzo free and things are getting a whole lot better. Yesterday, I got hit with a wave, but it only last hours instead of days. I do struggle with depression, OCD thoughts, and tons of emotions right now, but I do think this is all part of the healing process. Today, the sun is shining and I am meeting with my best friend to study and maybe go for a walk. I have to believe it when others say that we will be 100% again one day and that all of this was worth it!! :thumbsup:

Sounds like things are coming together ;)..Glad to hear your taper was better than Tolerance...

..I made a cut around 4 days ago, and woke up last night for the first time in weeks, however, talked to some friends of mine, and they didn't sleep well either!...Maybe something in the atmosphere or moon cycles!  Have to accept that even people who are Not on Benzos don't sleep well every night!... Especially theses days!!!  Sometimes I revert back to my 'Perfectionism All or nothing Mentality' that everything needs to  be 100%....It's hardly a perfect world, and I try to count my blessings rather than concentrating on what I Don't have...I've heard that writing a grateful journal can actually enhance your mood, so I give that a go, excercise, and try not to obsess about all of this!...When that doesn't work, I dive into a piece of cake and frozen yogurt!  :laugh: Everything in moderation, including moderation!

When things are not going well, I look back  at the progress that I've made, such as cutting my dosage in half in 8 wks, cancelled nueroligist and doctor's appointments, not been to the ER, and travelling out of town for a short get away weekend at the end of the month... The great thing is that everything I've read from those who have quit says that it gets progressively better with time... THIS gives me strength during the bumps in the road!

Hope springs eternal!

Take Care All.

SW

When things are not going well, I look back  at the progress that I've made, such as cutting my dosage in half in 8 wks, cancelled nueroligist and doctor's appointments, not been to the ER, and travelling out of town for a short get away weekend at the end of the month... The great thing is that everything I've read from those who have quit says that it gets progressively better with time... THIS gives me strength during the bumps in the road!

Hey SW,

Looking back to see how far you have come is a great thing to do! I canceled a GI and a Urology appointment and said that they were no longer needed! And not running to the ER or wanting to all the time is another great improvement for me as well!! Today, after walking/jogging 3 miles at the gym, I looked back to a year ago when I could barely make it up and down the stairs!! Things do improve with time, no matter how hard it gets, just remember that!!!!

Hi Fellow BB's: I've heard Magnesium is good for join pains?...And Benadryl for insomnia?

Anyhow, things are going well :thumbsup:

Once again, I've been cutting every 7-10 days at .0624...ready for my next cut of .0625

Currently at: morning .1875 Clono

Supper  .25  Clono

Bed      .5  Ativan*

*Still haven't crossed over  Ativan to Clono, as things are going well..

I've read it's best to eventually move your dosages towards bedtime...

But I have  have some choices so would appreciate some input:

1) Could cut the next morning dose down to .125

2) Could cut the supper dose next down to .1875

I've heard it's good to keep the doses equally distributed  during the day for blood levels, so cutting morning then supper and back and forth till the 2 doses are eliminated equally,

Or cutting the morning dose down and working towards, just one daytime dose?

This may be splitting hairs, however I say split away!

Thanks

SW007

Hey SW,

How are you? I read your post and I would recommend cutting your supper dose next to .1875mg. This way, you are balancing out the morning and supper doses. Are you planning on alternating back and forth between the morning and supper doses till you are done, and then focusing on tapering the .5mg of ativan at bedtime? Or are you crossing over to clono for your bedtime dose??

I heard or read that Magnesium is good for muscles.

Hi Lori: Thanks for the response...

I was thinking that keeping the 2 doses balanced would be the best way to go to keep the overall daily dosage even  in the bloodstream throughout the day...

If I crossed over from the Ativan to Clono, I could eventually titrate the entire dosage into 3 equal amounts which makes sense... Since Ativan is released quicker in the bloodstream perhaps that's why I've been sleeping well with it at night....I'm hoping if I switch to Clono it will have the same sedative affect, as it also has a longer half life...

In hind sight, If I would have known NOT to go off the Ativan back in Dec.  I could have titratated the .5 over a month or so and been done with it all, however I'm now taking the Long and Winding Road from Benzoland...

Certainly could teach a class on what I've learned about Benzos at this point!!! Considering approaching the press on the Dangers of Benzos, as I know a number of people who are going through rough times, and I've found out they all are taking Benzos and are most likely in tolerance...so I've suggested the slow taper per Ashton Manual.

Unfortunately my stomach/overactive CNS started acting up last night!....Didn't sleep too well, and I'm getting a lot of muscle stiffness and cramping, I had a coffee at dinner last night, which I haven't had in months, however at this point it's likely benzo related, so I don't obsess about it...Might just be AGE! Lovely.

Anyhow, I'm doing a lot of stretching, walking and treadmill...Staying postive, as I know there will be other bumps in the road, however, my goal is a BENZO FREE Life, so I continue with my reductions!!!

SW007

Hi LoriLee: looked at your taper schedule, and it looks like you cut quite a bit at the start...Was that rough for you?...What are your thoughts about gradually switching my nightime doseage to Clono, from Ativan?

Like I mentioned in my earlier post, it would streamline things for titration, as I could divide my dosage into 3 equal amounts....

Were you apprehensive to jump off?

How is it going for you today< re; symptoms?

SW007

Hey SW,

Yes, my first too cuts were wayyyy too big! It was per my pdoc and I had not found BenzoBuddies, yet. During my second cut, I found this forum and from then on, I cut .125mg and a couple of .0625mg. Those two cuts were very difficult and I knew I wouldn't make .25mg or .5 cuts again!! I had back muscle spasms so bad, that my regular dr. put me on muscle relaxers.

I think it's up to you if you want to gradually switch your nightime dosage from ativan to clono. It would make sense to go completely over to the clono (and a longer half life than the ativan), but it would need to be gradual and then you would need to stabilize on the clono for a week or two.

I thought I was ready to jump off at .125mg. I thought about cutting it in half, but didn't want to go thru 2 weeks of withdrawals at .0625mg, so just jumped off. Hindsight....I wish I would have gone down to the .0625mg for 2 weeks. Don't know if it would have changed anything post benzos or not. Even more hindsight.....I wish I would have titrated from atleast the last .5mg!!

I got hit with a wave of symptoms today. Mostly anxiety, panic, short of breath, crying, stomach upset....tons of fun. When the mental/emotion symptoms set in, I forget it is part of withdrawals and think that this is who I am now that I am off benzos. Took me half the day before I could tell myself that these are still withdrawal symptoms. Hopefully, it won't be as bad tomorrow, but with withdrawals, one never knows!! Thanks for asking....