[so...]

Don't recall reading any problems with Ginseng during tapering. As usual, do a forum search and see if anything pops up!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [so...]

• [Th...]

• [Lo...]

• [Be...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey SW,

How have you been? Did you say that you wanted to take some Ginseng for a cold? I'm not sure about any interactions between the two, but you could always call the pharmacist and asked. I did that one time and asked him about melatonin and klonopin together. Of course, my mom taught me to take a bunch of Vitamin C at the first sign of a cold. It works if you catch it in time. I usually take 4,000-5,000mg in a day if a cold starts to come on. How is your tinitus doing today? Tons of fun with these benzos....

Lori :smitten:

Hi Everyone: Thanks for the responses...

I'm curious about protracted symptoms?...Once I taper off completely do you experience a withdrawal period?

I'm fortunate to have some downtime, but need to know as I may be out of the country afterwards, and don't want to have a meltdown in Athens!

Thanks

SW007

Songwriter: 

As you will hear again and again everybody is different.  I am 8 months off Klono and still have significant wd symptoms.  In the past month they have started to get better.  There are others here with similar stories.  On the other hand some people are in pretty good shape after they taper.  I would advise you to arrange your life to be as easy as possible until you know how your story is going to play out.

ntw

Hi Everyone: Thanks for the responses...

I'm curious about protracted symptoms?...Once I taper off completely do you experience a withdrawal period?

I'm fortunate to have some downtime, but need to know as I may be out of the country afterwards, and don't want to have a meltdown in Athens!

Thanks

SW007

Hey LL; I'm ok, had better days, as I went to a friends place in the city, and they didn't tell me they had a raging cold....Something I didn't want to deal with on top of the taper!!!.....However Life is not perfect by any means, so I'm trying to stay positive, as I have to count my many blessings!

The tinnitius is still there, not bad, but is irritating when I go to bed! What's new right?

I just hope it doesn't get any worse, as I've read some people are struggling with it...I'm hoping that the tinnitus eventually goes away...

I will try accupunture, as Kel seemed to have some results...

Having some afternoon anxiety before my supper dose, but I have moved down to .125 Clono for my morning dose...starting to cross over the ativan to Clono tonight per Colin's recommendation.

I have to live in the moment, and try not to project what negative things may be coming....

I'm wondering  if the duration on Benzo's and other meds  has any co-relation to w/d effects?

I, like you was in tolerence last year...Started in April, was on for 2 months, then went off, and had headaches and insomnia all summer...lovely.

Then was off and on in the fall, not know what was going on with my stomach, and then went into full W/D in Dec. thinking I had the flu....

Hopefully, I will not have too many w/d symptoms post benzo, as I have to go overseas end of May....If I cut every week from now on, I will be through end of April, and have most of May to ride things out....This may not be long enough, or it may....Knowing that any symptoms are benzo related, may make it easier, however I wouldn't be in the safe home environment with family support....what to do?

Anyhow, hanging in there!

Hope you are well!

SW007

Hey ntw: Thanks for your response....basically I've was on and off Ativan last year, and currently tapering off Clono for 10wks, but that's been the extent of my prescription drug useage.....Hopefully I don't have a long post benzo recovery, but like everyone knows, it varies from person to person....Good thing is to know it does get better eventually....This so important to remember when things get rough...

I've been having some anxiety depression during the late afternoon, but it does pass after the supper dose, however, there will come a day when I'll have to ride it out... played the piano and that distracted me, which is good, as it doesn't allow you to focus on negative thoughts...It's good therapy, and may be what I'll need post benzo!

Anyhow, I hope you continue to improve, and have many BIG open Windows!!

SW007

Hi T2: I just posted to Colin a question of dry taper conversion (instead of the milk version) from the Ativan to Clono.

My question is, once I convert  the bedtime dose .5 Ativan to .25 Clono, do you think titration will make a smoother end to my taper?

Also, what's a good jump off dose for the morning dosage? .0625 or lower?

Morning .125 Clono

Supper .1875 next to cut to .125

Ativan/Clono Crossover .5 Ativan converting to .25 Clono. (I'll eventually start cutting this in relation to the other doses)

Thanks

SW007

Hi T2: I just posted to Colin a question of dry taper conversion (instead of the milk version) from the Ativan to Clono.

My question is, once I convert  the bedtime dose .5 Ativan to .25 Clono, do you think titration will make a smoother end to my taper?

Also, what's a good jump off dose for the morning dosage? .0625 or lower?

Morning .125 Clono

Supper .1875 next to cut to .125

Ativan/Clono Crossover .5 Ativan converting to .25 Clono. (I'll eventually start cutting this in relation to the other doses)

Thanks

SW007

Hi SW,

Colin may not get back to you until this weekend. I looked at your post to him and I think that what you suggested should be okay.

Titration will always make a smoother end, just for the fact that you can get down to such minute amounts.

A few here have jumped off at .125mg and done okay, some have had problems. So, if you can get down to .0625 or .03125, that would always be smoother. I titrated off .25mg over-excessively slow.

T2 :smitten:

Hi Again T2: Thanks for your patience!...I'm a little off today, as I have a cold, made a cut and am attempting the conversion (as of last night)..I had a surge of anxiety most of the day and I took my supper dose, and 3 hours later my pulse was up to almost 100 bpm,  (it's down around 90 now) and I've had some old familiar stomach pains (either from the milk, which I eliminated 3 wks ago from my diet or the vitamin C which  I took in large doses) I've heard that a cold or flu can rev up the symptoms as well, so who knows...

Anyhow, I'll need to restablize, as I've thrown a few new things into the mix

I looked at your titration schedule, and it looks like the titration gave you a smooth ending, and you are fine now, so this seems to indicate a good way to go...

So, when I am down to a total Clono dose of .5 maybe that would be a good place to start the titration.

This is my interpretation of how I would do it:

I have a 100ml cylinder, so I would crush the .5 tablet ( or 2 .25 tabs) and mix them well (per Youtube video)

and fill the cylinder up to say 100ml and remove 1ml per day for a 100 day taper...60 ml for a 60 day taper?

I have to fly to Europe end of May for a month, so am unsure how fast or slow I should attempt this next stage...since I've read that a lot of people have post  w/d symptoms, do you think a month would allow me enough time to stablize before travelling? I talked to my therapist and she said it may be wise to stretch things  out over my time in Europe before jumping off just in case things get rough...

I really appreciate all your input!

Thanks

SW007

I have a 100ml cylinder, so I would crush the .5 tablet ( or 2 .25 tabs) and mix them well (per Youtube video)

and fill the cylinder up to say 100ml and remove 1ml per day for a 100 day taper...60 ml for a 60 day taper?

Hi SW,

It is somewhat like you said. Based on the percentage you chose for your schedule, there would be some days that you would stay at the same amount for a day. Most do well with 10% every 10 days.  :thumbsup:

Hi Everyone; hope you are all healing well! For Four days I have the makings of a cold, which I didn't need on top of my taper, but such is life!..My taper is kind of like the stockmarket....UP and Down!!!

Looking for suggestions of what I should take for my cold, is Benadryl ok?

My family seems to think I should just stick to the natural  things...lemon/honey....gargle with salt water...tylonol

I've been taking 2000mg of Vitamin C, and wondering if that revs up withdrawal symptoms.

Still have tinnitus in one ear only?....and it seems to be sore around the ear area and left temple?

I'm wondering if this could be an ear infection?....

Also getting  wave of depression/anxiety after around 2-6pm which started around a week ago.....Today I started my morning dose an hour later to perhaps ride me through the afternoon till my supper dose...

My main fear is that this tinnitus will either get worst or continue indefinately?....

The Ashton manual says it ususally dissapates over time, so I'm crossing my fingers, as this is one of my main concerns....its it typical to have tinnitus DURING taper?

Thanks

SW

Hey SW,

I have taken up to 6,000mg of Vitamin C while tapering and post benzos. It doesn't seem to rev up my symptoms. If you feel a cold coming on, you might be able to nip it with the Vitamin C. My mom swears on that and it's worked for me as well.  :thumbsup:

Yes, tinnitus is a complaint of many during their taper.  Some have tried acupuncture with success. 

I agree with Lori about the Vit C.  I've taken it before/during and after tapering and didn't notice a rev up of symptoms.  Around here we have a "remedy".  When you feel a cold coming on take 1000 mg of vit c complex , this is with the bioflavanoids, every 1/2 hour until you get loose stools.  Then decrease your amount by 2000 mg a day.

For instance, if day 1 you take 15000 mg and get loose stools, then day 2 you would take 13000 mg throughout the day, if you get loose stools on day 2 at 10000mg then day 3 take 8000 mg throughout the day.  Continue until cold is totally gone.

Am I making sense here?  There is no fear of toxicity because vit c is water soluble.  Your body will only use what it needs and dispense the rest, thus the loose stool.  You know your body has reached what it can use.

WE've done this for years now and it works every time :)

Hi Cal: Thanks for your cold cure~...I'll give it a shot next time, as I am into day 5 now of it, however, it's not as severe...I've been taking 2000mg Vitamin C daily, and that seems to be helping, as well as a lot of rest, light exercise, lemon and honey/chicken soup/garlic etc...I'm curious how you are doing Post Benzo...I've see by your signature that you titrated your last bit...Seems that those who do have a pretty good Post Benzo experience....could you talk about your titration and what if any symtoms you are having now....

Thanks

SW007

Hi T2 and others: I seem to have hit a wall, and for the past few days have become depressed during the day...I have been reducing for the past month around .0625 every 7-10 days....Could I be reducing too fast....

I'm a bit concerned, as I hope this doesn't get worse...

I'm currently splitting my daily dose....

.1525 morn/supper/ .25Clono/ or .5 Ativan...still converting

I'm wondering if I should stay at my current level for a while, and will this help alliviate the depression?

I've been fine up till now....Does this ususally lift after you finish with the benzos?

Thanks

SW007

Hi Lori Lee: just posted to T2 and others....just hit a wall of depression during the day?

Was going along well, then BOOM.. I have been fighting a cold, so this may be part of it?

Funny as I've had almost every other symtom but this...went for a LONG walk, drank lots of water, and eating right...now have calmed down a bit, but it was strong?

Any ideas about what I may be doing wrong?

Any suggestions about coping with the depression?

Thanks

SW007

Hey SW,

Depression is on the list of withdrawals from benzos. I had a bad week of it, and now it just comes in waves for me. I didn't have any depression while I was tapering, mine came after I was benzo free. Just goes to show you that there is no set formula when it comes to benzos. I don't think it is because you are cutting by too much or too fast. I think it is probably a wave and it will pass for you. Having a cold can throw your body off as well, so that might be a contributing factor. If you haven't been sleeping as well because of your cold, that could also be a factor. Don't feel as if you are doing anything wrong. Hopefully, an hour from now, or tomorrow morning you will wake up and feel better. As far as coping with depression, try to go for a walk outside, watch a funny movie, do an activity that distracts you, etc. Keep us posted....

Hi LL: well feeling better now....it was a wave, but not fun....lasted about 4 hours, and after my LONG walk...nearly 2 hours I started to come around...I couldn't imagine living like that all the time...Gee, I feel bad that you are having symptoms post taper... I was chatting with someone today in the chat room and they are doing well, after finishing Feb 1st....just a bit of insomnia (only I wish) and they are taking Benadryl...

I looked up at the sky and said " I guess this is your plan for me right now"...

Like I mentioned before, I have to go overseas after my taper,  and I hope I don't have to go through this over there....It wasn't like I had to go to the ER, I just felt so empty and didn't care about anything. I imagine that this is the body's reaction to the lack of the drug or healing readjustment...I guess some people go on A/D if they can't bear the depression, however, I JUST DON'T want to add any more chemistry to my life...I truly comprehend the pain that others have gone through....In the chat room we were saying that I'd take the physical symptoms any day over the emotional ones!! When I got home, I went online to find other coping techniques....Magnesium  seems to show promise as well....Is this Natural Calm?

I bought some Magnesium Oxide, but think they suggest  Magnesium taurate/glycinate instead....didn't see it in the Pharmacy today...

Anyhow, hope your windows open and you can fly away from Benzoville.

Take Care,

SW007

Hey SW,

Glad that you got some relief from your wave! Today has been a good day physically for me. But, the depression seems to be worse when the anxiety is less!! >:( Wondering if my being on the klonopin for 7 years has anything to do with still having withdrawals 9 weeks out?? I know the Ashton Manual doesn't guarantee that the longer you are on benzos, the worse withdrawals will be, but....

I think I would have to agree about the emotional being worse than the physical. I am having some bloodwork done on stress hormones, thyroid, and some other things. Wondering if something else is going on besides just withdrawals. Also, need to get my food sensitivities checked again. So, it may not all be benzo related and I think it is wise to get things checked out sometimes; that's what health insurance is for anyways!! ;)

I've seen it posted about magnesium maybe helping. I take 2 calcium/magnesium/Vitamin D every day, but maybe it's not the best kind of magnesium?? I have also tried a prescription antihistimine and a beta blocker, but got side effects from both of them. TIME is the best thing, and I must need to learn a ton about patience! Fly away from Benzoville.....that sounds wonderful. It's one place I never want to visit again!!!!! Take care....

Hi...Well, I think I am mistakening anxiety for depression?....I am feeling edgy during the day, and long walking is the only thing that seems to be relieving it?...Almost over the cold, so that is good only lasted 6 days, so the vitamin thing worked well.

My main concern is curbing this anxiety during the day...it usually leaves after 6pm, so that's a relief, otherwise, I'm really antsy all day, like I need to be doing something that I'm not...Just did my income tax, so that's a relief!

The tinnitus is in my left ear, but not severe, and hope it doesn't go there, and dissapears after withdrawal...

I also hope that the depression doesn't set in post benzo...

What a wish list, but it's good to dream!

Anyhow, any suggestions are welcome

Thanks

SW

Hi Song,

withdrawls can set in at both current benzo stages and post. The post will be much milder and your recovery is for sure setting in, just think about your current stage and the rest shall take care of itself.

Thanks for the encouragement Recover!.....I'm finding that excercise is helping the anxiety and depression....after the treadmill I feel better which is probably from the endorphins, so that is good...Main thing is this bit of hearing loss in my left ear in the upper frequencies...seems that when I am near any electrical such as the computer, TV or radio, it gets more intense?...Must be the oversensitivity to sound from the CNS.

If anyone has any stories of their tinnitus improving over time I'd like to hear from them...also any treatments or coping techniques....I did one session of accupunture, but should try it again to be fair..If this is just a w/s  then I can cope with it much better.

I read an excerpt out of the Ashton Manual, that says that tinnitus ususally deappears after 4-6 wks, so that was encouraging... My total dose is around .5 Clono at the time being, so I AM moving down from 1.25 originally back on Dec. 23rd/08....

I've been cutting at .0625 every wk, so I think this has been a reasonable taper...

Please jump in everyone!

Thanks

SW007

Hi song, nice to chat with you today. Yes, I had tinnitus.  It was not too distracting or annoying, but it was there esp. at night.  And yes, it has lessened to almost nothing in the past month.  I had three months (from 10/08- 01/09) where I felt miserable but could see myself trending upward in the right direction.  And then for reasons I dont understand, I had a month (02/09- 03/09) of an overall resurgence of symptoms.  It was discouraging and led me to doubt the whole process.  And then at the beginning of March, I began to feel a little better overall.  But then I developed this involuntary tongue movement symptom which I attribute to taking Seroquel.  So about a week ago, I started a slow slow taper of the Seroquel and I have felt even better, but still have the tongue thing.  But yes, I think the symptoms can wax and wane unpredictably.  Which reminds me of the Zen concept of impermanence.  We hate that good things go, but that means bad things will go, too.  So stay with it!

Hi Chase: great to chat with you as well....Glad to hear your tinnitus has diminished....This gives me some hope which is the great motivator....Just having a wave of depression, and discussed it today with my Doc...I told him I wanted to find Natural ways of coping with this while tapering and post, and he suggested light therapy, as I am up north and we have a lack of it in the winter... I guess for others in sunny climes, slather on the SPF and get some sun!....Going for another marathon walk to get the blood going and endorphins up....

Also supplementing with vitamin D, fish oil, Yoga, accupuncture and Keeping busy!!!

If anyone has tryed light therapy, please add your experiences! I'm using everything in my power to beat this Benzo Beast!!!

Forging on and BEING the warrior!!!

Songwriter007