Important Survey - Please Participate ×

How many people HAVE to work while tapering

[et...]

I am working part time and have been for over 10 years. I do want to continue this as my husband is disabled (but can do the basics for himself), and my extra income comes in handy. And although he has Medicare, my insurance is currently being used as primary for me and him, and Medicare is secondary.

I paid a literal fortune for my education at a private college, have enjoyed my job, and was an advanced math teacher before doing my current work for these 10 years. But my work requires critical thinking skills to a great degree, and good decision making skills also. I do worry that tapering occasionally interferes with this, as I have experienced cog fog from time to time. And I have physical sx also.

We also have many trainings that are required, and some go all day which can be exhausting. I never thought I would feel this way, and maybe I'll change my mind, but I'm just a few years from being able to retire, and right now, I'm going to do that when the time comes.

Intend

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [et...]

• [...]

• [dr...]

• [Sm...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to this thread Intend. Where are you in your taper? Those training days really suck I agree. I get them too and sometimes have to write exams. I suck at tests right now. Usually I get 90's on everything but right now I'm goo goo. Yeah I want to retire too. Sounds like you are closer.

Wow this thread is off and running again....cool!

etown

etown,

It took me six months to cross from Xanax to klonopin. And then I let the X withdrawals which continued, settle down. My brain developed such high affinity for X, that I do not think any benzo would have been any easier.

And I had such incredible medical mismanagement that my previous doctor crossed me from X to K back and forth 4 times in 6 months. So it's been a literal long haul here, and I have become extremely sensitive to small tapering amounts of K. And I am micro tapering it at very small amounts with uncomfortable sx. I am hoping that as receptors up regulate, I will be able to increase my cuts and not have to hold as much.

So I have not moved far off my K dose, but each cut feels like I've dry tapered 1/4 of a 1 mg pill. I have removed my signature as you may notice, as this is perhaps atypical, and I just would like to see more progress here before that ever comes back up. But sufficeth to say, I am a veteran of the benzo "wars."

I am within 3 years of retirement technically. I could do this sooner as I have "the years in" at my agency, but I'd like the full benefit of the regular time if I can hold on. I'm hoping that the micro taper helps that, but K is not a good fit for this brain, so I must be on my game all the time.

Well, that's it. I like the thread, and will continue to post here.

Intend

etown,

Well, it's never been offered by either my previous doctor or my current one. But I do honestly believe that anymore "fooling around" with my brain would be detrimental to me. And I mean that. I credit my increased sensitivity to all that's happened here before as we all know every time we make changes, it alters the receptors in some way.

And before all this, I had been on Xanax and attempted a taper from that on my own, not understanding all the implications of benzos at all. So I've been essentially tapering since the fall of 2009. I do find my tremendous sensitivity surprising, but it's there. And although I know that Valium is weaker in terms of equivalence, I have experienced awful depression on K, so I think that would also be the case with V as it is also known for that.

I suppose essentially I am willing to keep plugging away on K, and just don't want to deal with any more changes as I actually fear for my brain with what has already occurred. And I am dropping the K so progress is happening. I have become a genuine expert at liquid titration and all the aspects of it, and I also see the V folks struggle. I actually don't believe that upregulation happens necessarily on a daily basis as daily tapering might indicate. I think this is all very individual, and that proper titration of K on a micro level can work as long as one realizes that it is generally happening in the thousandths of a milligram ratherbthan in the hundredths like V. So, I'm saying cuts like .001 mgs as opposed to .01 mgs just for example.

Well, you got the long answer here. Sorry about that. I'm known for my wordy posts.

Intend

Hey L Not too bad of a day at all. Work has given me huge flexibility so I am very fortunate The challenge will come in a few weeks when I resume mt taper.

Intend i get you Progress is progress so can't argue that right?

etown

Good to hear E!!! Think positive. Not all cuts are as bad as some. I know the fear tho.......We are all here for ya tho :)

Lisa

Yes,

WWWI has been here working hard since before I was here. I did congratulate her and she will do well as she is a super star in many ways.

Intend

Hi

I have a couple of questions for those working.

Do your employers know you are reducing tranquillisers? How about colleagues- are they aware or wary because of this?

I am partly self employed and that for that part my current mental and physicals upheavals matter less (I can still function okay in company etc).

However  to return to my teaching post I have to go get the ok from my GP and then through a full occupational health assessment first. This is because I had a major CNS reaction from an antibiotic, which was then complicated by being treated with benzos. I also have to travel a long distance to my teaching location, which is going to be an added stress.

I am not sure how suspicious the OH people will be of me returning while still tapering from valium. I'm cutting .25mg every 2 weeks  and now at 1.75mg.

Any comments or sharing of experiences of work returns would be really great!

Love to you all

magga xx

Hi Magga!

Sorry you are having to taper these stupid drugs but we all know how you feel. I don't think they would be suspicious at all. I think it shows you don't want to be on it. If the doctor states why you were given it Im sure they wont think twice. I think you need to figure out if its too much stress to go back with the drive and all while tapering. I don't know if its a necessity or not. I think work is a double edged sword. I am actually grateful to work cuz it makes me get out and gets my mind off of things. I need it or Im afraid I would be in a corner crying.......

Ok....like I said....I don't take valium ( I am a xanax user) but that seems to be quite a high rate of tapering. .25mg might be ok on the higher doses but I thiink you will have to make that much smaller the lower you go. Someone else taking valium will be better able to tell you about that. I know with the xanax I cut some big chunks in the beginning but soon realized I had to go much smaller as I got lower.

Good luck. Glad you are here

Lisa

I did a rapid taper while being off work and then went back to work 4-5 days after taking my last dose. This was a baaad  idea since I got hit with the worst insomnia, and irritability just as I got back to work. The first two weeks of work were unbearable as I was sleeping about an hour a night on average and could barely function.

Thanks

Yes I may have to slow the taper down soon if I want to get back to work. I only took the drug 4 months before I began to taper, and have been reducing since early Feb. Part of me feels it has been going on too long already, the other says there is nothing to be gained by impatience at this stage. Roast3d, did you manage to carry on with work?

magga x

Yes, I work a desk job and I kept on working the whole time. It was rough but I pushed through it. This week that just passed was the first time I took some vacation days and it wasn't symptom related, i just had vacation days to use.

I actually work in a mental health facility, and am a licensed mental health professional. It's well known that I've had a severe throat condition necessitating the removal of 2 inches of my throat.

So, it seems that my vocal impairment and the use of benzos and being in mental health where benzos are prescribed to clients hasn't so far made a big splash. However, I certainly don't run around advertising this usage. And I do have a doctor involved in the Rx, and who is supportive of my taper. She also comments to me that throat spasms may necessitate the continued use of benzos at a lowered dose.

But so far I don't have any throat spasms, and I'm just setting realistic goals of dropping my dose and taking this one day at a time. And there are close co-workers who do know that I am tapering. The agency is big, and I don't think I'm the topic of conversation there, at least not now, and I demonstrate competence at my job. So I guess I don't really know who knows what here or if it's anyone's business as I am tapering and have the support of a doctor for the drug and the taper.

Any plenty of people in mental health professions have mental health issues (depression, anxiety), as the job itself is stressful. I guess I answered the question.

Intend

Magga......You can prolly get away with some bigger cuts if valium is like xanax until you hit the 1mg. Have you been having many withdrawal effects yet? I had a ton of impatience with this taper too. I learned the hard way to slow down. It only take a bad cut to figure it out. I have to work and still take care of my kids house dog....husband.....so I can't be completely down and out with the taper so I chose to go it slowly. If you were only on it for 4mths and this is your first time tapering off you might have it easy. I hope you do!

Roast......insomnia is my worste problem with this taper. The other stuff was bad but that has made it horrid on some cuts. Its miserable. How are you feeling now? How long off?

Lisa

I have the support of my supervisor and manager. I have 2 fellow workers that know and support me daily. I would do as Lisa says. Take a good account of your symptoms as you cut now then imagine what your regular job would be like with these symptoms. You were not on the drugs for long, however, you should still be cautious as these drugs can wack you real hard as I know all too well. ou sound like you are looking forward to getting back to your regular job. If you think you can cope and only you know go for it. My job has been a lifesaver in many ways.

etown

Roast......insomnia is my worste problem with this taper. The other stuff was bad but that has made it horrid on some cuts. Its miserable. How are you feeling now? How long off?

Lisa

Thanks for your concern. I'm a bit over four months off now. I can sleep 6-7 hours most nights now but I still have early morning wake ups and once it's light outside I can't fall asleep even if it's a Sunday and 5 am. This week I took myself off tazodone so I've had a few completely sleepless nights but I'm hoping things return to baseline soon.

Thanks for all your advice.

My situation is a little tricky because I was signed off for a mental health breakdown

What actually happened was that I became severely ill  in October 2012 due to  an antibiotic reaction.

Symptoms included extreme anxiety, nightmares, insomnia,  CNS breakdown.  I was so desperate that I took benzos, even though as a health practitioner I knew they were addictive. In three months I was being labelled as suffering from anxiety and severe depression...

Imagine my joy when I  looked on the internet and realised that coming off the drugs could also produce all the above symptoms and sometimes worse! However I felt so ill on the valium that when I started to taper some of my symptoms reduced, in particular I can now think, read and remember what people have just said! I still have alot of anxiety, but its mostly due to what has happened to me, and worries about my work.

I also get agitated, tired and have difficulty sleeping, but so far can function on a daily basis and even enjoy things some of the time! Well as you say i have to know my limits but uts good to konw that folks do work thruogh this, its possible if not easy..

Magga xx

PS Can anyone tell me how to use smilies? xx

Magga - click on the smiley thing you want to insert. You were misdiagnosed! Can that be reversed. Also, you should start researching natural products for anxiety for AFTER your taper. 5htp, L-theanine etc. I wouldn't use during your taper as they affect Gaba. Some people do but I believe that it is not a good plan generally. I think you are going to be ok. Make a plan for now.....back to work...post taper etc.

etown

Magga....sorry you have been through all of that. Nice to know some of the symptoms have lessened tho as you come down. There might be some rocky periods but you will always adjust. Key is to not go too fast and give your body time to heal and get use to the new level.

I know a lot of people use the magnesium for anxiety and vit c before bed for morning anxiety. I am getting ready to try the C myself. I am not sure how well the magnesium works so maybe you can ask around about that. Hang in there!

Roast..........well 6-7 hours is great! Is that all at once or broken? Broken sleep is better then no sleep but it still stinks :-[ Good for you getting off the trazadone too. That never worked for me. Made me feel wonky as anything but wouldn't make me sleep. Crazy!

E...hows it going??

:Lisa

Lisa doing good but know that august 1st is coming then at it again. I think my sig will blow everyone away...so close but yet so far! I am taking 50mg of Tarazodone for sleep and other than a dry mouth big time and a few short wake ups it is working fine. We'll see when I get down low on Valium. Work is busy and I know that at this time of year I would rather be off. I do a lot of walking after work with my wife and we both really enjoy that. It keeps me healthy and we talk about stuff.

Thanks to all who take the time to contribute to this thread. I believe it really helps the workers, wanna be workers etc. It is a different animal trying to work through this taper. I will continue to get used to this latest crossover hiccup and get down to some serious though slow tapering. Ernie....stay away from fast tapers

etown

Try not to stress over the taper restarting. If you are feeling ready it will be ok. Remember....not all cuts are horrid....THANK GOD!

Trazadone didn't help me sleep one tiny bit lol It made me feel all high and weird but I couldn't sleep. Imagine that! I have actually gotten ok sleep the last 3 nights. I guess my body is adjusting. I need to jump but I tell ya....Im scared. I know Im on a sliver of a dose but it still scared me that I wont be able to fall asleep. Stupid drugs. I had insomnia before all this so I guess I can't expect it to be fixed once Im off......sigh......................

Glad you are feeling better. Keep it positive! You will do this!

Lisa