Hi, New here and wondering about Xanax withdrawal

[Ja...]

Hi All,

I think that I may have experienced xanax withdrawal, but have been told by my doctor that I was not taking it long enough.  I'll start by saying that I was prescribed Xanax .25 about 5 years ago by my regular doctor so that I could take a flight (trying to fly was giving me anxiety).  Anyway, I took it and it did no good for my extreme anxiety, needless to say, I didn't board the plane.  So I had the Xanax with me for a good three years and used it a few times, at the dentist and a couple of times to calm down.  After that, I threw it away with several pills left. 

Last year in early 2007, I was again prescribed Xanax .25 by my Dentist, because I needed two root canals.  I took one of the Xanax before each procedure, also over that year I used some xanax probably another three times to get through some anxious times. 

This year in June, I had to be admitted to the hospital because I felt as if I could not breathe.  I am a smoker and knew that I needed to quit.  Anyway, I was told by the attending doctor in emergency, after chest x-rays were taken, that I had chronic Bronchitis, Asthma and mild emphysema.  Basically I was sent home with a steroid treatment, an inhaler and some Levaquin antibiotics.  So after the shock of the diagnosis, Of course I was anxious, I took a Xanax to calm down and relax. I had to quit caffeine at this time, too, because I was too anxious and I still do not drink coffee of take in any caffeine.

Shortly after I started taking the Xanax, within one-two weeks, I started getting insomnia, severe anxiety, paranoia, bad dreams when I did sleep, etc.  I know that my mental state was already weird because of the diagnosis, but this just felt different.

I continued to take them everyday after for the next five to six weeks.  Some days I would break the pill in half and take one half in the morning and one half at night.  A few times I would skip taking it all together during the day.  In the meantime, my prescription ran out and my regular doctor gave me another with only 20 pills and said that she would not give more, but did not say why. So after those weeks of taking it, I took a few halfs here and there in early August, but then just got off of them completely.  In the month of August, I experienced the worst anxiety, depression, crazy thoughts, paranoia, numbness, leg spasms, insomnia, negative thoughts, feeling wired, worthlessness, seeing things out of the corner of my eye, flashes of light, could not watch television, or listen to the radio.  Could not eat,  I lost 15 pounds from June until August and I was already slightly underweight.  There are other symptoms also, just too many to list.

After looking on several different websites about a month and a half ago, I suspected that I may have had xanax withdrawals, side effects, whatever, but my doctor says that she does not think I was on the drug long enough to get withdrawals.  She wont even consider that It may have been withdrawals, she says my dosage was too small for it to be withdrawals.  I also read that the taking the levaquin antibiotic may have been part of all of this, too.

After two months now of stopping the xanax, I'm still getting the sudden weird anxiety, some sensitivity to light, depression, still have a little insomnia, but mostly just feel like my emotions are somehow stunted. I can't feel joy in anything.  I did quit smoking, too, eleven days ago, but felt this way before then. I actually feel a little better since I quit smoking, but can't even feel happy about that. I'm over thinking everything even small decisions, over analyzing, unsure and apprehensive.  Through all of this, I managed to keep my job, luckily I work from home. Since most of my symptoms seem to be mental, emotional, psychological, my doctor has wanted to put me on paxil but I will not take it.  Just too afraid of more side effects.

I guess my question is, Is this the residual effect of the Xanax withdrawal, or am I just depressed?  I have been slightly depressed before many years ago, was not taking meds, and mostly just slept.  It was nothing like this by any means.

Any insight from you guys would be great

Thanks

Tammy

P.S.  How do you turn off all of those flashing thingies above the area where you post.  Can they be turned off somehow?

Hi Tammy (Jack10),

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!! I am sorry that you're still not feeling your best after using Xanax and Levaquin. I do know that Levaquin is one of the antibiotics not recommended to use while withdrawing from benzos. I have heard of people having reactions from Levaquin so it is difficult to know which one caused your problems to begin with. Also (albuterol) inhalers can cause anxiety. As far as your current anxiety, that could be ongoing withdrawal symptoms from the Xanax but time will help in your healing. Of course quitting smoking could make you anxious and depressed also. Did you use anything to help you with quitting smoking?

T2 :smitten:

Hi There,

Thanks for responding.  I was using the Levaquin after my diagnosis at the emergency and started the xanax the same night.  That was June 25th. The Levaquin was the smallest dosage at 250 mg and I took it for four days, it was supposed to be 5 days, but my stomach felt bad and I could not continue with it. The Xanax was used until early August, so about 5-6 weeks on Xanax total.  The inhaler I have never used. 

I used the Patch to help when I stopped smoking, and it has been great.  I still really feel like the Xanax is what's causing alot of this, depression, among other things.  Just wanted to get some input from you guys.

Thanks,

Tammy

Hi There,

Thanks for responding.  I was using the Levaquin after my diagnosis at the emergency and started the xanax the same night.  That was June 25th. The Levaquin was the smallest dosage at 250 mg and I took it for four days, it was supposed to be 5 days, but my stomach felt bad and I could not continue with it. The Xanax was used until early August, so about 5-6 weeks on Xanax total.  The inhaler I have never used. 

I used the Patch to help when I stopped smoking, and it has been great.  I still really feel like the Xanax is what's causing alot of this, depression, among other things.  Just wanted to get some input from you guys.

Thanks,

Tammy

Hi Tammy,

If you used the Xanax consistently for 5-6 weeks, you could still be experiencing withdrawal symptoms which will wax and wane.  It will take time to heal but things will get better and better. Others will be by to offer you support and encouragement. Hang in there!!

T2 :smitten:

but my doctor says that she does not think I was on the drug long enough to get withdrawals.  She wont even consider that It may have been withdrawals, she says my dosage was too small for it to be withdrawals.

My dr. gave me the same line and I was on lorazapam for 5 months, but only on an "as needed" basis.  I am tapering right now because I tried to just stop them all together and got very bad withdrawal symptoms.

After two months now of stopping the xanax, I'm still getting the sudden weird anxiety, some sensitivity to light, depression, still have a little insomnia, but mostly just feel like my emotions are somehow stunted. I can't feel joy in anything. 

Sounds like you are improving from when you first went off the Xanax.  So given more time these residual symptoms will improve also. 

Have you read the ashton manual?  There is alot of info there that may be helpful to you.

Here is the link:  www.benzo.org.uk/manual/ 

Hi Cal,

Does your doctor believe you now?  Mine still does not, or she says that she doesn't, but it's interesting that she said that she wouldn't prescribe any more Xanax after the last 20.  I really believe that the Xanax has changed so many things, like the way I think about things, my outlook on life in general.  Most of the time I just feel like crying.  I hope that these feelings pass because I want to enjoy things again.  I can remember how different I felt before the Xanax, I feel like this stuff has ruined my confidence in myself, also.  Does that feeling go away?  I'm always second guessing myself, it seems.

Anyway, I hope you are doing better.  Thanks for responding.

Does your doctor believe you now? 

No, as a matter of fact, he wouldn't even help me with the taper.  I was VERY upset  :tickedoff:  But then within a couple of days I found this site and all the info I needed to taper without him.  Last time I saw him I told him what I was doing and he says, "what are you going to replace it with?"  NOTHING was my response.  I will handle whatever comes my way without the drugs.  But he insisted on giving me a prescription for paxil (an anti-depressant).  He wasted his time writing that out for sure.  I will NOT trade one drug for another.  I am able to function on a day to day basis for the most part.  My biggest problem is insomnia.  I do have a few other withdrawal symptoms, but nothing unbearable :)

Are you on any other meds now?  I truly believe that you will get back to pre-benzo, but it does take time and alot of patience.

You will get through this, alot on this board have.  Go to the thread that talks about success stories.  They are very encouraging.

Hi,

I'm not taking anything else.  My one experience with drugs was the Xanax.  I have never taken anything other than antibiotics in the past.  I rarely drink, I haven't had a drink since this whole thing started with the Xanax.  My only vice was smoking and I've stopped that, too. 

My doctor keeps saying that I'm having these feelings because I'm depressed, but I tell her, I did not feel this way before the Xanax. My doc prescribed paxil for me, too, but I refused it also.  I don't want more trouble, you know.

Thanks for responding.

Hey Tammy and welcome  :)

I tapered directly off Xanax as well and it can be a bumpy ride.  Hard to comment if you symptoms are related to depression, however they sound consistent with benzo withdrawal.  Many docs don't realize how much havoc these drugs can wreak with our central nervous systems (CNS).  We are all different and body chemistry is a delicate balance, so it is well within the realm of possibility that what you are feeling is related to the xanax.

Add in the fact that you have recently quit smoking, and your system may be dealing with nicotine withdrawal as well.  Combine the two and that could be why you are feeling poorly. 

Give it some time and hopefully your system will gradually reset. 

Please let us know if you have any questions and keep us updated on your progress.  BTW- congrats on quitting smoking  :thumbsup:

Keith

Hi, Tammy,

I am another member who came off xanax by dry-cutting.  I also started taking Xanax because I had a horrific reaction to Levaquin.  The Levaquin caused CNS (central nevous system) toxicity.  I didn't sleep one wink for 7 nights and caved in to taking the Xanax knowing that it could become addictive in a very short time.  I am also surprised the doc prescribed Levaquin and a steroid together because that is a lethal combination.  They have black boxed Levaquin because it is now a known fact that it causes peripheral neuropathy and torn ligaments.  The drug company is not outwardly admitting the CNS toxicity issue at this point.  Levaquin (or the fluoroquinolones/quinolones) and benzodiazepines affect the GABA receptors and cause the exact same reactions (1 to 2% of the people taking fluroquinones will get this type of reaction).  Taking benzos and fluoroquinolones together would be asking for disaster as far as I am concerned. 

No matter what caused your symptoms it is important to come off the Xanax at a sensible rate.  I was only on Xanax for 4 months at a low dose and had at least 50 w/d symptoms.  It is hard but doable.  As you already know the members on this forum are very supportive and we are all here for you.  It is nice to meet you.

Patty  xo

Hi Patty,

I did not know a thing about any of these things until After I got off of the Xanax.  I just knew that, even in the midst of the craziness, that the Xanax was a large part of what was causing the problem.

About the Levaquin. I haven't heard much about that, but now feel compelled to look up everything that I can on this drug, too.  After what you said about not being able to sleep with the Levaquin, I wonder if that Levaquin was initially what caused my insomnia, although, my insomnia didn't seem to start until after about a week after I finished taking the Levaquin.  Also about the steroid prescribed with the Levaquin, how is it lethal?  I really need to know all of this stuff, so that I can put my mind at ease.  That's probably why I was so mixed up after taking those things. Maybe it was a combination of all of that stuff.

About a week into the insomnia, I had what felt like waking dreams. Like colors were super bright,  and everything was so vivid.  But it was not pleasant by any means.

Since I was only on the xanax about six weeks total, and at no more than .25 per day, should I have still tapered down first before stopping? 

Thanks

Tammy

Hi Tammy,

Since benzos are only supposed two be taken for a week or two, it is recommended that you taper. Alot of doctors don't tell you this. All your syptoms will fade with time. I hope it is not to bad for you. After 4 yrs, mine said I could just stop. I hope you feel well soon :thumbsup: Kel

Hey Tammy-

You could have tapered some from .25mg.  We are all different so your question is hard to answer.  A short taper may have been easier for you, but in relative terms your dose was small and your time on xanax was fairly brief.  Both play in your favor.  After 2 years at 1mg,  I jumped of at .125 mg and did quite well.  Not sure if that helps? 

Keith

Hi Keith,

Nice to meet you and thanks for responding.  I feel like I've been duped or something, by all of these doctors.  The last couple of weeks on Xanax I was breaking the .25 in half and sometimes taking it, and missed taking it a couple of days. And the last few days,  I was just taking a half at night.  I finally got frustrated and just quit completely.  I got some valerian root tea, chamomile, etc. and tried that most nights for the insomnia.  It did not help much at first, but now I can say it really helps.  Also, warm milk, works great for me.

It sounds like you are feeling pretty healthy and that's great. It must feel especially good to have gone through such and ordeal as withdrawal and be able to feel better.

I wish my head wasn't so cloudy most of the time, I've been shutting out my family quite a bit, but they think it's because I quit smoking.  I just don't feel like complaining all of the time to them, and I don't feel that they would understand anyway.  I'm so glad that I found you guys and this website.  So much many things make sense now.

Tammy

Complain to us all you want- that's why we are here  :laugh:  My guess is that you will continue to feel better.  I quit smoking Jan 1, 2008 and have not looked back.  It was a piece of cake compared to the xanax!  I give you a ton of credit- xanax and smoking at the same time.- wow!  :thumbsup: 

Just hang in there, you are doing awesome- it will get better!  Thanks for checking in and feel free to vent any time..

Keith

Hey Tammy,

When I first did a cold turkey off of Xanax and went into severe withdrawal, my doctor (now FORMER cdoctor) told me I could not possibly be having withdrawal after being on only .5 mg per day for 6 months.  I told him that I didn't want to take the Xanax anymore, and he said I could "just quit".  I did and wound up in ER.

Some doctors are pretty arrogant and ignorant when it comes to benzos.

Good job on quitting smoking! :thumbsup:  I am slowly cutting back the amount I smoke because I want to be an ex-smoker as well.  I can't go cold turkey, though - been there, done that, not a pretty picture. ;D

Vent as much as you want!  We are all one big family and we are here to support and encourage you!

Missy :smitten:

HI Missy

Nice to meet you. Some of these doctors just don't get it.  My doctor seems to sort of be on the same page with me most of the time. She's stopped pushing the paxil, so that's a good thing.  And she actually suggested the Valerian Root to me.  But not believing me about the Xanax, made me really upset.

About quitting smoking, you can always try the patch for a few hours, just to see how you do on it, when you are ready to give quitting a try.  That's when you are ready.  Cold Turkey can be great for some, and not for others.  I quit cold turkey about 17 years ago, and stayed smoke free for almost 2 1/2 years.  But one day, I thought I'd try that ONE cigarette and that started the whole ball rolling again. You know what I mean.  We can never have just one.  There is no such thing for an addict.

Quitting smoking has been the highlight of my year.  I just wish that I could feel good about that or anything right now.  Or have a good thought even.  My mind seems to wander to the most negative things lately.  It's so strange because I used to be a positive person and excited about things, life, people, etc.  Now it feels like the opposite sometimes.  When I'm not feeling numb, I'm feeling super negative about almost everything.  This really sucks. Mornings are the worst, for me. Then I tend to feel better around late afternoon and into the night.  Some days I'm anxious, jumpy and other days, I feel depressed, sad and feel like crying. Most days though, I cannot watch tv, go to the movies or listen to the radio, just too overstimulating. 

Tammy

I experienced some of the same things.  I use to say all the negatives in my life peaked when I was using the benzos.  I have been off almost 12 weeks and I can say that it gets so much better.  The positives do come back Really!!  I could not even think about the future at one point!  Now I find myself looking forward to new things and planning again.

I too could not watch tv or listen to the radio.  I thought that was just me.  For along time I just wouldn't watch!  Again that has improved!! I look forward to my favorite shows again!!

As far as crying I had a point in my taper that I would just cry and be so teary eyed!  I use to try to figure why and I really could not come up with a reason for it.  All has gotten so much better.  Please hang tough and you will see in time that you will heal.  You are not alone and I too have felt so much that you have but can hoestly say that I am so much better now.

Take Care

mal

Hi, Tammy,

Taking a steroid and a fluoroquinolone (Cipro, Levaquin, etc.) increases the risk of ruptured ligaments (sorry, I shouldn't have said lethal).  I only took 2 500mg tabs and it really did a job on me.  I ended up in the emergency room a week later and all lab tests came back normal.  I thought maybe my thyroid was out of whack and it wasn't.  I literally thought I was going out of my mind, therefore, the Xanax.  I would definately not take another fluoroquinolone again.  A second reaction could be alot worse.  Google 'fluoroquinolone toxicity'.  You will get alot of info.  All the symptoms you are experiencing would either be from the levaquin and/or the xanax.   It doesn't take long for xanax to get a hold of you.  I know it is hard, but you just have to hold on tight and ride these horrible symptoms out.  Make sure you read the Ashton Manual because it explains alot of the symptoms.  Once I learned what symptoms I may encounter I did not freak out when they occurred.  You will soon get your old self back.  Promise.  Just dig down deep and keep thinking positive.  Just remember that they are only symptoms.  Tell your family what you are going through and that you will be back to the real you soon.  You need the support.  Congrats on not smoking.  I will be doing that in the very near future.

Patty  xo

HI Patty,

I've just read some of the Levaquin side effects and wow, there are a bunch. And you're right, some of my symptoms cross over between the Xanax and the Levaquin.  Maybe that's why my left knee sometimes just goes out randomly.  And it just started this year. I get these weird spasm like pains in it and it just goes out.  Very painful, but does not last more than a few minutes. I will tell the doctors that I am allergic to levaquin and others in that family of drugs from now on.  They are just not worth the risk.

I really do need to be more positive, Thanks for all of the info and your support. 

Tammy

Hi Tammy,

Do you have the secret to quitting smoking? Believe me I have quit many things in my life. Smoking is definetly one of the hardest. I'm trying but, when the stress hits ,I grab for a smoke. :( I hope you sx let up soon. :) Kel

Hi Kel,

There a couple of things that I know for sure about stopping smoking. First you have to have the desire to stop. Second, you have to remember that smoking absolutely does not enhance any situation, it only makes problems.  When not smoking we're in constant withdrawals, that's why it seems like we enjoy a cigarette after a long time of not having one, we're just feeding the withdrawal. 

But the main thing for me in stopping was, I just began to see how much, even after being diagnosed with an illness, it was running my life.  I really started hating smoking, to be honest, I hadn't "enjoyed" smoking in many years.  I set a quit date, bought the patches and quit on my quit date.  It's not easy, but it is doable. If I can do this, anyone can.  But you have to "let it go", it does not help anything.  There is not one good point to smoking.  Think about it, does it ever really help your stress?  It never did help mine.  The same problems are still there regardless of whether you take that puff or not. 

Just remember once you let go of them, there's no such thing as just one.  Also, it's "one day at a time".

Good luck with quitting, when you do decide.  I'll be cheering you on. Just remember you can do it.

Tammy

Hi Keith,

I just read through the posts and wanted to say "Congrats" on Quitting smoking, nine months is a long time, and you are right about Xanax being harder, it really is.

Tammy

Hey Patty,

i just came back from a party for a friends little boy.  I've known my friend since we were freshman in high school. (about 28 years ago).  Anyway, When I first met her, in the girls bathroom at school, she was smoking a cigarette, and I went in and lit one up.  I thought about that today at the party, she's still smoking and could not wait to go outside and have one.  I also thought about how long I've worked and prayed to not smoke, but I could have easily have had one tonight.  But I did not, thank god.  The first time I was really tempted, too.  I think seeing my old friend and all. 

By the way, the kid's party was at a place here in Los Angeles called the "Putting Edge", an inside little mini golf course for kids.  Everything is psychadelic and glows.  It was like pure Xanax withdrawals, LOL.  I knew you guys here would get it.

Patty when you are ready you will quit, just don't wait too long.

Tammy