Hi, New here and wondering about Xanax withdrawal

[Ja...]

Hi Patty,

I'm feeling a little better today.  Still having some bad dreams and anxiety, but now I just turn over and try to get back to sleep. How are you today?

Tammy

Hi, Tammy,

Today is a bit better, thank goodness.  The last week and a half was a good whack.  Those dreams didn't last too long for me.  Maybe a couple of weeks.  At least you can get back to sleep.  That didn't happen to me until I was almost finished with my taper.  You will be OK, Tammy.  I promise.  We just have to keep plugging away even though every day seems like an eternity.  Just think how much we will appreciate our life once it is back on track.  Take care.

Patty  xo

Hi Patty,

I'm feeling a bit better today, but really just very spacy and trying not to think so much.

After reading up on the levaquin, some sources say that you can actually have a relapse just by eating certain foods like chicken, turkey, dairy, because of the antibiotics that it may contain.  This is worrisome. I eat so many of those things on a daily basis.  Just wondering if they are hindering my progress. I wonder if they are affecting me at all, or if it's the Xanax withdrawals, I'm so confused.  How can I tell?  As a nurse, what do you think?  I wonder if the amount I took if just too small.  (250 mg levaquin, once per day, for four days.) This particular website also said to avoid caffeine, grapefruit juice, soy products, certain vitamin supplements and other things. That really doesn't leave much except fruits and veggies to eat!  LOL  I really want a cup of coffee with milk since I haven't had one in almost four months.

Anyway,  I saw a pulmonologist yesterday about the diagnosis that I received in the ER back in June (emphysema, chronic bronchitis and asthma).  After taking all of the tests, the technician told me that if I did have emphysema, it was the mildest case that he's ever seen. He said that I scored way to high on the lung function tests.  After analyzing the tests, the doctor said that "everything looks good" and to see him again in six weeks for a followup.  I guess that's good news. 

Glad to see that you are having a good day today.

Talk to you soon,

Tammy

Hi, Tammy,

I haven't a clue as to how to tell what med did what because they both have the same symptoms.  People have had a toxic reaction with just 1 Levaquin pill.  I only took 2 pills.  Whichever one it is that caused your symptoms doesn't really matter IMO.  We just have to deal with it, I guess.  I avoided all those products you mentioned.  I became obsessed what was put in my body.  I ate organic foods only from April to Sept.  I gradually introduced normal foods to my diet after that and I am sure that wasn't the smartest thing to do either.  I basically survived on organic cottage cheese and meats, cheerios and organic milk, organic hot dogs and breads that contained no soy or lechitin.  I had no appetite so it really didn't make much difference to me then.  I still don't use supplements.....too afraid.  I do have popping of the knees and some muscle pain but that could come from either med, too.  Do you like caffeine-free coffee?  You can drink the organic milk or half and half.

I am so glad your lung function tests came out fine.  Goes to show you that you really have to be careful of what you put in your body and to explore diagnoses and yes, that is REAL good news.  Thinking of you often.

Patty  xo

Hi, Tammy,

If it makes you feel any better, I am going through a pretty rough patch, too.  We both got off Xanax about the same time.  It is scary.  Did some crying today, too.  I think  because I had some great windows I thought I was about healed, but to my surprise, the benzos popped up again just to remind me that they haven't finished with me.  All we can do, Tammy, is just ride it out.  We have no other options.  Don't try to fight it because it will make the symptoms worse.  It really will.  Right now I am finding it difficult to get out and do something worthwhile but that is OK because I will stay home and baby myself.

Happy birthday.  Next year will be a much better one.

Patty  xo

Hi Patty,

I'm sorry that you are having a rough patch, too.  I feel so out of sorts, but a bit better than earlier.  I keep wondering if I'm eating wrong or something, I must be.  I get all of these mental/emotional symptoms, then physical symptoms seem to follow that, like numbness and tingling, etc.

Can you tell me again, where are the foods to avoid section?

Thanks

Tammy

Hi, Tammy,

I am not aware of any place on this site about foods to avoid.  You can do a research under fluoroquinolone support groups.  I avoided soy, lechitin, grapefruits, and any products that contained fluoroquinolones (meat and dairy products, unless they were organic).  I have also heard that peanut butter had some side effects.  I did not have any problems eating rye bread althought I introduced that in Aug.  I am glad you are having a window.  They are great.

Patty  xo

Hi Tammy!!

Great to meet you!  I don't get on here as much as I'd like but it's a great testament to the fact that you will get back to normal life after the benzo hell is over.  I'm busier than ever these days...and I would have never thought it possible a few years ago!

Love,

Jen

Hi, Tammy,

Just checking in on you to see how your tapering is going?  Today has been a pretty good day for me.  Hope the window stays open for awhile.

Patty  xo

Hi Patty,

I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling better today.  I've had a pretty lazy day today, myself. But still some racing thoughts. 

Although, I'm not tapering.  I finished the Xanax back in mid August and have not taken another one since.  I never really tapered and didn't even know what that was until just very recently.  I took them daily for about six weeks from the end of June until the beginning of August, at .25 per day. Sometimes skipping days.  The last few pills I took were 1/2 of the .25mg just to see if they would help,  and that was for a few days in mid August. 

Since i didn't think they were "working", I just stopped taking them. I didn't realize that I had started building up a tolerance for them, I just thought they were not helping my anxiety.    I didn't find out much about the withdrawals and all until very recently, after I had been through alot of it.  My doctor just told me I was really depressed and wanted me to take the Paxil, which I never did.

Since I did not really taper, I wonder if that's why I'm still having symptoms. 

Tammy

Sorry, Tammy.  I meant to say withdrawals.  You and I both stopped taking Xanax in Aug.  I think you would have had w/d symptoms anyway.  The benzos take hold real fast.  Oh, I get so irritated because docs don't have a clue to the effects of these meds.  I think you will be fine in a very short while.  Boy, will you have a story to tell once you are healed, ha?  Thinking of you all the time.

Patty  xo