Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Hi Jenn,

You could cut a 0.5 tablet into 4 pieces. ( quarters.) Each quarter (1/4) is .125 mgs

You could start dosing with that .. ( Remember to hold a week or longer after each cut) If this proves to be a large cut for you as it did me, you could cut the 1/4 tablets in half, and you will have .0625 mgs. You can dose that.

You would need a drugstore pill cutter, and eventually a gram scale to weigh the pieces for accuracy. I purchased mine at Amazon ..Gemini -20 High precision ( weighs up to 20 g in 0.001g (1 mg)  increments.

I hope this helps ..

Love, Amu

Ok so due to todays major fail with cutting .5 I am now at three doses of .5 for today. One at 8am one at 2pm and due for one at 8pm. What now? I usually take 1mg in the am and .5 in the pm. Any advice? Should I keep it spread out or try .75 in the morning?  I am lost! I tries .5 this morning and by noon I was a mess! Crying.  My poor husband!

Hi Jenn,

Did you make a cut this morning as your doctor suggested?

What amount did you cut?

I have learned that spreading the doses is a good thing. But I am confused, that if you started out taking 1.5 mgs a day, and you made a cut, why are you at 1.5 mgs?

Hang in there .. :smitten:

Anu

Today was my first attempt. And it was to large of a cut so I rebounded to the other half. I cut .5 this morning. Bad idea. That's what the doctor suggested. I bought a pill splitter today. Now I am unsure  of how to proceed. 

Ok so due to todays major fail with cutting .5 I am now at three doses of .5 for today. One at 8am one at 2pm and due for one at 8pm. What now? I usually take 1mg in the am and .5 in the pm. Any advice? Should I keep it spread out or try .75 in the morning?  I am lost! I tries .5 this morning and by noon I was a mess! Crying.  My poor husband!

Hi,

Three doses a day is likely not enough - try 5 or even 6...dose every 4 or 5 hours.  This may help you.

Also, I'm confused - did you cut from 2 to 1.5mg?

Oh yeah! I had to. I bought a pill splitter today. How should I proceed? Should I start over? Maybe take normal doses tomorrow or try a smaller cut? 

If it were me I wouldn't cut right away.  I'd hold at 1.5 and spread my dose through the day as evenly as possible.

What pill size do you have?

I was taking 1mg in the morning. Then .5 in the evening.  I had 1mg tablets. Then the dr. Gave me .5 tablets when we discussed tapering. I felt good before the cut other than the fear of tapering. Today after the cut my arms hurt and I had a horrible headache and just cried and cried. I felt dizzy also.

I was taking 1mg in the morning. Then .5 in the evening.  I had 1mg tablets. Then the dr. Gave me .5 tablets when we discussed tapering. I felt good before the cut other than the fear of tapering. Today after the cut my arms hurt and I had a horrible headache and just cried and cried. I felt dizzy also.

I have the same thing! My arms are so weak and I am so emotional. Racing thoughts, fears of dying.

I haven't even really tapered much yet. I am taking .125 mg twice a day. Started today. Yesterday took .25 mg once and then was advised to spread it out. Maybe three times a day?  How long do I go on like this until I lower it again? Any advise?

Thanks very much for any help!!

Emily

Well after my fail today, they ended up spread out. I guess I will reinstate tomorrow morning and try again. Wondering when I should try again? This is hard!

Hi akka,

If you are having trouble getting to the next dose then that can be corrected by spreading it through the day.  With ativan that usually means at least 4 doses a day...every 6 hours.  If more is needed then just add them.

Well after my fail today, they ended up spread out. I guess I will reinstate tomorrow morning and try again. Wondering when I should try again? This is hard!

I'm confused again.  I thought you already reinstated to 1.5mg.

I'd give it a few days on the spread doses.

I think spreading them out can only help, but if you feel good you feel good.

Ativan is short acting so most people need at least 4 doses a day (of even sizes as possible).