Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Does anyone know why insomnia is such a problem for many if not most of us? I generally sleep for 3 hours and then wake up fully every hour or two until morning. Anyone know what causes this?

Good Morning  Bibsjo, Lisa (Tech) and All,

I know how hard it is to function without a good night's sleep, it's terrible. It's been heartbreaking to watch Lisa suffer so much with insomnia all these months. As I understand it, Ativan and other benzos mimic the calming affect of the neurotransmitter GABA.  GABA apparently calms the central nervous system (CNS) which helps induce sleepiness.  But unfortunately the body can become dependent on Ativan for this calming effect.  If you build a tolerance or dependence and begin tapering, insomnia is one of the common withdrawal symptoms- maybe one of the symptoms Ativan was prescribed for you in the first place. 

Our bodies need to recover from our dependency on Ativan to sleep. I concur with Lisa's experience about slowing down and trying not to worry. Good sleep hygiene and healthy lifestyle practices like moderate exercise, no alcohol or caffeine and limiting stress seem to help too.

I hope that explanation might help a little bit.  I'm not a doctor, it's what I've learned on BBs, research and from my psych doc. Thanks again to everyone for your kind and positive words helping me celebrate the end of my taper.  I'm here on the other side to say you will recover and feel like yourself again. 

Luey :smitten:

Hello,

Does anyone know why insomnia is such a problem for many if not most of us? I generally sleep for 3 hours and then wake up fully every hour or two until morning. Anyone know what causes this?

Thanks!

Bibs jo

My understanding is that it somehow has to do with the buildup of glutamate, which somehow increases during the taper. As we taper, we have less and less benzo to act on the GABA receptors, therefore glutamate somehow takes the place of where the benzo once "lived". Probably didn't get that all correct, but I've heard something like that a couple of times from people who truly understand the process. Things eventually calm down as we get the benzo out of our system, it just that it STINKS while doing it, right??!! Glutamate can really rev us up. Let's get it over with :)

There is a very long explanation in the forum by an early member (a medical professional) about what is happening in our brains.  What it boils down to, as I understand it, is that because the benzos open the doors wide open for our brains to accept GABA, which is an inhibitory (slows everything way down) neurotransmitter (brain chemical), our brains compensate by turning off the normal GABA receptors and turning glutamine (an excitatory neurotransmitter, the opposite of GABA) way up.  So when we are tapering, our brains are trying to rebuild the normal structures for GABA, glutamine, and other neurotransmitters like serotonin and dopamine, and in the meantime our brains are just haywire as they rebuild one area after another.  It makes a lot of sense that our sleep would be completely messed up, and our memories too -- and mine certainly are.  Here's the thread if you want to read the whole thing, which has a lot of valuable information. 

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=232042.0

Haimona

Thank you Tech, Luey, Ultra, Haimona,

I think what I am hearing is that it comes down to the imbalance of the gaba/glutamate, and that as I heal and recover my sleep will get better. I am expecting that I will go through this with each dose reduction (I have one more and then I jump). Also, the more worry, the worse it becomes. Got it.

The doctor that is helping me with my taper is offering me the option of switching completely off lorazepam and onto a low dose of either trileptal or lyrica. He is suggesting this specifically to help me sleep. He said that he did not suggest this earlier because I am very sensitive to so many medications. He is not pushing this option, but wanted to let me know that it is available.

I'm thinking it does not sound like a good idea to switch at .25 mg lorazepam to one of these other medications. Isn't that a cold turkey withdrawal from .25 mg lorazepam? My sleep is pretty awful, but I am thinking this may be a pretty risky switch.

Any thoughts?

Bibs jo

Hello all, just checking in to say that I’ve had a setback. I have been fighting a UTI for the last two weeks. First one in over 10 years...great timing. :( Antibiotic #1 (macrobid) caused nerve issues in my mouth and throat and severe air hunger. I gutted it out for 11 days, and then my UTI symptoms re-emerged. I went in for a culture, and the results should be back in the next day or two. While waiting for those, doc prescribed another antibiotic. Antibiotic #2 (Bactrim) caused similar nerve issues in my mouth and throat on day 1 (yesterday), but the breathing was not affected. On day 2 (today), I was hit with a horrendous wave of neurological symptoms one hour after my first dose of antibiotic. I won’t list them here, but suffice it to say, I cannot finish the 3-day prescription. I am discouraged, frustrated, and sick with benzo wd symptoms after months of mild symptoms in taper.

I felt sure I’d be walking off this week at .01, but instead I’m holding at .025 and praying things settle down a bit before I make my final reductions. I’m also hopeful that mayyyybe enough of antibiotic #2 got into my body to eliminate this infection. I can’t imagine how I’d do on another med, and of course, the fear of that is consuming.

Thank you all for being a safe place to bring the victories and hardship of taper to. If anyone has a positive experience with anything like this in taper or even some encouragement, I’d love to hear it.

Beauty

Beauty, I’m so sad to hear of this... I completely understand how awful UTIs can be, as I had years of suffering from them. I’ll be praying for relief to come quickly for you. In the meantime, you may want to try Allimax, a very strong antibacterial/antimicrobial/antiviral... it is so powerful, and natural. It was a component in healing my son from SIBO, and has wonderful reviews for its help against bladder/urinary infections.

[nobbc]https://www.amazon.com/Allimax-International-Limited-Vegicaps-Count/dp/B00KS9BV4M/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=allimax&qid=1595487799&sr=8-5[/nobbc]

You are so close... I imagine this is so discouraging. Keep faith... you will get there!  :smitten:

Edit: Deactivated commercial link.

Hi all,

It's been quiet on this thread today! Checking in to see how everyone is doing.  Today was a real struggle for me between the taper and major work stress, but TGI Friday night. 

My anxiety is high today, the cog fog is pretty bad, and I feel jittery.  How's everyone else doing?

Haimona

Hello-

I actually feel like I can jump now but I am riding it out to .01 or .005 just to be safe.  I feel like the real healing will not begin until this awful stuff is out of my system.  What turned out to be a few days taking a prescription of Ativan from my Doctor (with no warning) turned into a 4 month nightmare.  He prescribed to me on a voice mail I left and then 20 mins later got a text from CVS that its ready..  My doctor or pharmacist never spoke to be about taken this.  Had i known the risks I would never have taken it, that's a fact.  I never even heard the word benzodiazepine before April 2020...  I thank God that I quickly found Benzo Buddies relatively early.  It was BB where I quickly learned the truth..  in a matter of a month, I was prescribed 4 different psych meds by my doctor.  Thank God I threw them all out and just reinstated Ativan and now on week 7 of a 8 week taper.. (I hope its not too soon)..  I still feel like the longer I take this stuff the more dependent my body gets, I want off.. I do not except to be 100% for many months or longer..  I am ready for my new Benzo free journey..  we will all heal and God Bless everyone out here and their families..

Thank you marwegs, I’ll absolutely look into it. The culture came back showing strep B...not at all treatable by antibiotic #2. So frustrating to have experienced such an enormous reaction for nothing. I spent yesterday feverish, extremely sick, and praying that antibiotic #3 (amoxicillin) would start working soon. I’m three doses in, and I’m experiencing some neuro side effects to this one as well. The good news is that I don’t have a fever today, so maybe I’m finally moving in the right direction. I do also have new symptoms of withdrawal as well as an uptick in my existing ones, but I hope these will settle as the infection clears and I complete the antibiotic.

We all respond differently to antibiotics - many without any trouble at all - so please don’t anybody be deterred by my experience. If we have bacterial infections that aren’t responding to natural interventions and getting worse, they must be treated.

I am holding my Ativan at .025mg until I feel stronger. Frustrating but necessary.

Wishing all of you continued success in your tapers. 💕

Beauty

Beauty, have a couple more days of antibiotics helped? Hope you’re feeling like healing is happening!

Haimona, I’ve been thinking about you and praying that this anxiety subsides. I had a very anxious morning... my husband helps talk me down and connect to the fact that I am not my anxiety... this drug is simply making me feel fear, dread, worry.... hard to overcome in the moment.

Kry, you’re so close... and wise to keep going a bit longer. I’m excited for my day to come too!

Just dropping by to say hullo ... been reading back thru and notice that anxiety is rearing it’s ugly head so often ... this is one sx that I found never went away for me ... it’s a lot better and I can go days without any issues but it’s there , always lurking  in the background ..

just keep going one step at a time you amazing warriors ... it does get better ❤️ BB

Just dropping by to say hullo ... been reading back thru and notice that anxiety is rearing it’s ugly head so often ... this is one sx that I found never went away for me ... it’s a lot better and I can go days without any issues but it’s there , always lurking  in the background ..

just keep going one step at a time you amazing warriors ... it does get better ❤️ BB

Ugh! I'm not thrilled to hear this news. I was hoping very much that getting off A would improve that symptom. Glad to hear that it does get better. Thanks for checking in on us!

LD

Hi to all just checking in . I know most of my long time buddies are now mostly celebrating their success  and don’t post often but I still have a small way to go . I hope everyone is doing the best they can

10.9 ml today

Best tech

Good evening all! I heard about Luey and I was thrilled. We were a few of the high dosers here. Luey at 6mg and me at 4mg. Came in together. And Tech came later.  I see so many small doses! I am proud of you all and for everyone else, there should  come your day too with tenacity and in my book, faith in yourself. Kry you are at the same dose when I 'swam up and walked onto the beach.' It wasn't a jump at all. I never liked that term. Jump? And maybe fall? I could not measure the crumbs at .005 mg so it was over. It was simply over. No celebration. I just acknowledged the journey. Tech and Beauty you are so close. C-L-O-S-E! Beauty I am sorry about this setback. But it should pass, don't you think? I can pray for you. 

Crew, I am over at the Xanax group now. I know my psych was very reluctant, but I failed every drug for sleep and so I traded it off for the 2 benzos. I regret it now, but it is what life brought me. I do not blame my psych.

There are new people here and so I will say again and again and again, this BB group and the support here saved my life.  Over and over and over. None of my doctors could help me, and I have a slew - and I am fortunate to live in NYC with the best medical care in the world, which I am really ashamed to say with so many people being Screwed out of HC in the richest country in the world. That is another story. But who ever had a psych who has tapered off the many drugs they have subscribed? I am going to hang around here still, but not as often, because my tiny Xanax group some new posters. I am cheering for you all. Powerball.

I just love signing on and seeing a post from you, Powerball! You, Luey, and Tech are legend around here. So, yes, this will pass. I’m getting my tail kicked by antibiotics and infection (so, so tired), but I’m hopeful that this one will get the job done...and life can move on. No news on my taper for now. I’m holding until I’m finished the antibiotics and settled down a bit. The revving is REAL.

Marwegs, thank you for checking in. This antibiotic seems to be working nicely, so I’ll finish the course and pray like bloody hell this is it for me and infections. It’s been very hard the last few days since the big reaction.

All others, keep on keeping on. You’ve got this.

Beauty

Good Morning,

I hope you all had many moments of ease this weekend. 

BozoBertie, Sorry to hear about your ongoing anxiety post-taper.  Anxiety is such a terrible symptom.  I feel fortunate to no longer be experiencing it.  LD, I wouldn't worry or assume you will continue to experience anxiety.  BB, I hope it will subside for you too.

Tech, 0.11mg is right there with my last dose of 0.1mg.  Let us know when you walk off.  As Ashton mentions, I think there is a psychological component at the end even though the low dose isn't really doing anything any more.  For the first few days it can feel a bit strange to no longer do the daily dosing ritual. 

Beauty so sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well and then problems with antibiotics.  Maybe you'll need a little time to recover even when you officially decide to go to Zero but I feel certain you will feel better soon once you recover from your setback with illness and anti-biotics.

Wishing you all a tranquil week.  Take good care everyone,

Luey

Good morning all,

In my mind this morning, I am thinking "windows and waves, windows and waves."

It is so great to hear from the folks who have come before us. I appreciate it so very much!!! And if the newbies feel like I do, it gives us hope and a sense of security to turn to those with more experience.

Today's question... A few have walked off at the dosages where some of us are currently. However, many of us started at significantly lower dosages. I'd love everyone's opinion on this: do you think the starting dosage impacts the "walk off" dosage?

LD

Happy Monday

Just stopping in to see how everyone is. It's been a while.  I have been off all week from work and taken some time for me and to enjoy life. Something I have not really done since all this started. This week I spent time with my grandson, husband and really, just did life in a good way.  I worked out, lifted weights, swam, gardened, cleaned, shopped, cooked and organized. Not all in the same day to be cautious to not over stress. 

I have slowed down my taper. Good decision for me. My symptoms have decreased, mornings are even more normal now. I still have that pesky throat clearing, wheezing and air hunger but not every day. When It does happen this is the only time I seem to get anxiety. This could be attributed to my allergies and occasional asthma.  I may try taking Claritin to see if it helps. I am thankful for this reprieve and do not regret my decision to slow way down.

Bozobertie-I hope your anxiety begins to fade. One of the hardest through this process. I am so thankful mine seems recede as I go lower and have slowed down. It rears it’s head with symptom kick up but I seem to be able to quelch it.

Tech-good work! So close. You have been through so much for so long, It’s good to see your progress towards being off the benzos. I believe You will heal and seep will return.

Powerball-so glad you still stop buy. It gives us all hope to see you as a reminder of your good taper and slide off.

Beauty- Keeping you in my prayers.  This will pass and all be behind you before you know it. Take care of you.

Ld-Agree with Luey. Don’t assume you will have lingering anxiety. The what if’s were my worst enemy. And on the jumping question again the wisdom of Luey is above. Part psychological but also listening to your body. I am not as low as you are even near planning my end date.  But it seems “walking” off , as Powerball puts it ( don’t much like the term jump either), is a very personal thing. Luey walked feeling the drug was not doing much of anything and was pretty symptom free. Powerball took it down as low as he could go. Kry slowed it down and planning to be off in the very near future.  I think we all have to both physically and psychologically prepare when it gets close. You will know when it is time. Trust in yourself.

Bobjo- I am sorry to hear about the sleep issue. Tech has suffered this throughout her taper and it is heartbreaking. You are wise to questions this. I would consider that CT off the benzo. In the end you have to make that decision with your doctor.

I'm thinking it does not sound like a good idea to switch at .25 mg lorazepam to one of these other medications. Isn't that a cold turkey withdrawal from .25 mg lorazepam? My sleep is pretty awful, but I am thinking this may be a pretty risky switch.

Any thoughts?

Bibs jo

I posted this on my introduction page but thought id post it here too:

I have 6 more days on my taper and considering where I have been I feel pretty good with the worst issue being the tinnitus and ear pressure which seems to have my hearing off balance..  I have had blurry vision but that is much better and still seem a bit off balance..  I know this effects your CNS and I hope & pray this all clears up once I heal.  Right up until the beginning of April (right before I made the mistake of taking this pill) I would spring out of bed at 6am and run 2.5 miles..  Now I struggle in the morning but does seem to be a bit better.. I cannot wait until I can spring out bed and run again..  There is alot of symptoms I see out here that I never had and consider myself fortunate.  When this is all said and done it will be a total of 4 months on this (14 days on, ct for 3 or 4 weeks,  reinstate end of May then a 2 month taper)  I hope this still is considered short term use..

One question I have.. I am 54 and had my first beer at age 14 (40 years ago)..  I have never been a everyday drinker but only a social beer drinker..  Concerts, baseball games, happy hours, weddings, parties etc..  I'm just wondering that at my age and my history with alcohol is the reason why I had such a bad reaction..  also my doctor right off the bat prescribed me 1 mg 2-times a day

I'm not going to lie..  I hope to someday get back to be able to drink socially but fear I may never be able to do that again..

My doctors destroyed me and all you wonderful people out here gave me direction and the correct information about this awful drug..  if I listened to my doctor id be in a much worse place today..  all you wonderful people out here saved me..  THANK YOU.. but I am far from this nightmare being over..  Aug 1st is the finish line for Ativan and Aug 2nd is my new starting line..  bring it on

LD and Others,

This may seem obvious and a repeat of the same thing over and over, but the end is so individual whether you're tapering from a high dose or a low dose.  I do believe it also depends on what dose your body developed tolerance, when you started having withdrawal symptoms and the severity of withdrawal symptoms.

I think the main guideline is still "listen to your own body."  Ashton said the recommended Ativan stopping dose is .05mg.  You, Beauty and Tech are all nearing at or below my stopping dose of 0.1mg.  I knew it was time because I had gone so long symptom free. Powerball had also gone for a long time symptom-free but he conservatively took it down to .02mg. just to be sure.  I doubt if that amount actually does anything but I can imagine that your body and cns are still recovering, thus the windows and waves.

You all will get there at your own pace. 

Wishing you ease always,

Luey

Jujubi

You go as slow as your body tells you .

Thanks for thinking of me

Wishing you peace with your family

Tech

LD and Others,

This may seem obvious and a repeat of the same thing over and over, but the end is so individual whether you're tapering from a high dose or a low dose.  I do believe it also depends on what dose your body developed tolerance, when you started having withdrawal symptoms and the severity of withdrawal symptoms.

I think the main guideline is still "listen to your own body."  Ashton said the recommended Ativan stopping dose is .05mg.  You, Beauty and Tech are all nearing at or below my stopping dose of 0.1mg.  I knew it was time because I had gone so long symptom free. Powerball had also gone for a long time symptom-free but he conservatively took it down to .02mg. just to be sure.  I doubt if that amount actually does anything but I can imagine that your body and cns are still recovering, thus the windows and waves.

You all will get there at your own pace. 

Wishing you ease always,

Luey

Luey,

That helps so much. I forgot that Ashton said 0.05 is the end dose she recommends. And I haven't heard that being symptom-free is a good indicator that one has "made it."

I appreciate the info.

I wish everyone a cool evening. It's 97 here today. Way too hot!

LD

Hello all... thinking and praying for you all...

Wanted to share that I’ve noticed a significant difference in the reduction of my general symptoms since beginning a daily dose of high quality Omega-3 fish oil (I use Barleans), and 1000 mg of Vitamin C. I was scared to add them, as I read so much about how supplements can rev up symptoms... but my anxiety has drastically improved, air hunger has almost disappeared, and headaches/sinus pressure is gone.

This could be due to the fact that my dose is now much lower, or that I’ve stabilized, or am on a very compliant timeline of taking my doses.... but as I journal, is seems to have gotten much better since adding these two things. I am certainly not symptom free, but I am starting to see the light...

Wanted to share... thinking about you all...

Kry, you are almost there!

Haimona, how’s the anxiety?

Beauty? Feeling better?

JuJuBi... how are you holding up?

Much love...

I wish I could tell you that I’m out of the woods, marwegs, but that Bactrim really put the hurt on me. I don’t think I’ll know the full extent of it until I’m off of the amoxicillin this Friday, as I’m having side effects from that as well. I am struggling to remain positive and optimistic today. I’ve been stable and just about symptom free in taper for two months - the timing of this setback feels so cruel. I fully intended to throw my scale into the ocean this week and walk softly away. Instead, I’m back home earlier than planned, holding my dose, and begging my body to be done with the infection by Friday so I don’t have to play with another antibiotic.

Better days ahead, I hope.

Beauty

Marwegs.. good to know about the fish oil and Vit C..  I was a big supplement guy before all of this and had such a bad reaction with them when I ct back in April..  im kinda scared to take anything right now..  Im trying to get everything through whole foods and green smoothies..  My last dose is this Saturday and I hope after many months to come of healing that I will be able to take supplements again and start back body building.. my issues now are Tinnitus, ear pressure, no appetite (however when I eat I can eat a lot) but still cannot gain weight.. lost 20lbs and a ton on muscle.. and my balance seems off.. i used to have blurred vision but that's seems to be a lot better.. I never had any GI issues or many of the other symptoms I read out here...  my emotions and passion are gone but a tiny bit better..  I wanna laugh again..  I am hoping over the coming months that these things slowly return..  I'm prepared for the long haul of full recovery... but the uncertainly that 100% recovery will happen is my biggest concern..  we have all been in hell and when we get out of this we will all be better people..  A national campaign needs to happen about the dangers of Benzos.. BB is great and saved my life but people only come to BB when they are in crisis.. People need to understand all this before they take their first pill..  Benzos really should be reserved for life & death and extreme situations..  I could have easily gotten through the stress i was going though in much better ways without drugs..  im 54 and never had anxiety or depression..  I had some stress related to COVID and work

beauty..  Im so sorry for your setback, you were almost there..  I too want to throw my scale into the ocean and never see anything that reminds me of this ever again..  stay strong and we are all praying for you