Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Hi friends,

Happy 4th to all of you! It’s so great to see everyone doing well. Tech, my sleep is starting to suffer a bit as well - I still have decent stretches most nights, but it’s becoming broken and weird. I’m also experiencing sporadic air hunger. This is not my favorite healing symptom given the state of our world...specifically, my southern state. Good news is that it corresponds with cuts and comes and goes throughout the day. Definitely withdrawal. Powerball, so pleased to see your update...you’re going to do fantastic. I love that you have a trip planned. I think that helps so much with this process - something to look forward to. Juju, half way!!!! You’re a star, my friend. LD, I was holding my breath hoping for you to stabilize. I’m sorry about the business, but I suspect you’re going to beat benzos and have the best comeback story. I’m glad you’ve found your groove. Luey and others, cheering you all on!

I’m in the home stretch and taking it down to .01 just like powerball did. I’m typing this from a socially distanced chair looking out over the gulf...in a few weeks, I’m swimming up to shore, y’all.

Wellness and windows to everyone,

Beauty

Powerball, I'm a fan of the "luvgov" even though I'm in one of those states where nobody lives;  cases are comparatively low, but they are increasing.  Lots of out-of-state license plates and people packing the campgrounds and trailheads; kind of crazy. A good time to stay home.

Just hit 0.25mg. (down from 6.0mg 18+ months ago).  I'm paragliding off the mountain in slow motion in good conditions and hope to stick the landing!

Good to see everyone settling into a symptom based taper. 

Luey

Good evening to all

I am still rocking along working on getting to .5.  Had a few odd new symptoms pop up but nothing I haven't been able to work through. Mostly just irritating. Weird feeling like I have to constantly clear my throat. You never know what surprise this stuff is going to throw at you. Sleep is still good. I actually got a full 8 last night without the normal 4:45 wake up. I started exercising in the morning including lifting some small weights.  I was able to work in the yard and pull weeds. 

This group is all doing so well.  We are all making amazing progress!  We will all succeed. Just keep coming out here supporting each other and getting the support you need.  I do believe the positive support makes such a difference.  I know it does for me.

Luey - You will be done before we know it.  We will all be celebrating with you! Amazing what you have accomplished .25 from 6mg!!!!!    WOOOHOO!

Beauty- You will be waltzing off soon too! 

ld - I am so glad you are stable.  So good to hear.  You will be off this and onto your new and better life.

Lisa-Sorry to hear about your sleep. I will keep you in my thoughts that peaceful sleep returns.

Want-The windows are wonderful and an amazing motivator. I have no doubt you will make it with your great attitude.

Hello April. I hope you enjoyed your 4th. Hoping you are doing well and symptoms are lessening.

Ginger-What a nice day you were able to enjoy.  Days like that give us a glimpse of what life without Benzos can be.

Hoping all have a calm evening. 

JuJuBi

Gosh, I hope I can get to almost everyone! My Xanax group is kinda sad. They got split up in the site reorg and it has hurt them. Maybe I ought to post there more to see if I can help move it some. The GREAT thing there is I get to use everything I learned here!

ID=I am glad that slowing down is giving you some rest. To get some degree of homeostasis some hold, some updose, some push through. It is just your own body/brain.

JuJu- WE LOVED Curacao three years ago. Luey is paragliding here and I jumped off the highest cliff dive there at 56! We are always on the water on Christmas day somewhere and we had the best Christmas day cruise there...OMG it was so awesome. I still dream about it. Maybe they will open up for you. All the Dutch come there for holiday.

Tech=ever since I have been here you have had sleep issues. You were stronger than me there. I simply could not function. I do that the time you to go sleep is a lot less important than when you rise (at the same time). I am sure you have tried all kinds of sleep hygiene. Sometimes it is just biochemical, I wish I could snap my fingers and wish one full night of sleep for you.

Want: I was listening to one of my spiritual meditations this evening and the #1 message was, celebrate even the tiniest of steps/things. I didn't think the Irish Brother spoke that well, but if that was the #1 message to drive home, I got it.

Beauty=My whole adult life my "next big trip" always motivated me. I could handle most anything, knowing I had the piece of JOY just up on the calendar. In my early 20s I put money my savings, used that as collateral and went to the bank and got a vacation loan which I quickly paid off. That's how I built up my credit. I skied all over Utah, Idaho, the Canadian Rockies. No Colorado because we were boycotting it in those days.

Luey: I hear in Canada they are watching for US license plates and asking them to go back home if they do not mask-up/social distance/and practice hand hygiene. We have a flat curve in NYC! Can anyone believe that? But I am a Southerner so if I saw a southern or southwestern license plate in NYC, I might like to do the same thing. Or maybe not. Good night all. Powerball.

Love all the good vibes and good news.

Tech, may I recommend that you consider a CBT-I program if there is one near you? It is cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia. It is 8-10 therapy sessions (so finite) where you learn about all the things you can do to help yourself improve your insomnia. It really changed my life. The number one thing I learned about was sleep consolidation. I was going to bed too early b/c I was so concerned about NOT getting enough sleep. And I was napping b/c I was so tired. Both are NOT recommended.

We are headed to Kiawah, SC. Looking forward to a vacation. The island supposedly has a low population. I'm very excited AND (for now) I'm feeling well enough to enjoy!

I hope you all have a great day!!!

lowdosebenzohelp (which I have definitely found here on this BB thread, thankfully)

Thank you to everyone here for all the kind support .

I will look into the cBT , I do go to bed early because it’s the only 3 full hours I get and I never nap .

I am great full to everyone here . We are lucky to have one and others support .

Powerball I wish I had the way with words that you have . I am happy you have started your new taper wishing you well .

Sending happy thoughts to all .

Lisa

Thank you to everyone here for all the kind support .

I will look into the cBT , I do go to bed early because it’s the only 3 full hours I get and I never nap .

I am great full to everyone here . We are lucky to have one and others support .

Powerball I wish I had the way with words that you have . I am happy you have started your new taper wishing you well .

Sending happy thoughts to all .

Lisa

Tech21,

Sleep is an issue for me as well.  I go to bed at 9 pm every night but take an hour to fall asleep. I always wake up with a pounding heart during the night or early morning hours.  Last night it was 1:15 am.  I eventually fell back to sleep and woke up at 5 am.  I have tried to nap but never can fall asleep.  I would give anything for a good nights sleep once or twice a week.

Maybe I should look into CBT for insomnia myself.  Other than the sleep I'm doing better, the dizziness and other sx seem to be easing off.  I know if I hold long enough sleep, normal sleep, will return but it usually takes months.  It's been 9 weeks since my last cut.

Jujubi,

I also get the annoying throat thing as well as sinus congestion when my sx flair.  And this year for the first time my sx include burning, dry eyes.  Once I'm in a decent window it resolves.  This drug is full of surprises,  always keeping us off balance. 

ldbenzo,  enjoy your trip.  As Powerball says it's nice to have something to look forward to.  I went on an outing with a friend yesterday afternoon to a small mountain town.  It was a beautiful drive.  I'm happy to be getting enough normalcy back to enjoy times like those.  I'm heading for a lake vacation with my kids and grandkids in two weeks so I have that to look forward to.

I'm wishing everyone a good summer with enough windows to have some fun.

As hard as it is we are all moving closer to benzo freedom.  I'm hoping by next July I'll be off and past the worst of acute wd. G

Hi everyone,

After rocking the little cheapy Gemini scale all the way from 1mg to .075mg, I’ve made the switch to water titration. Each of my three doses was down to .003g (the smallest number I could reliably weigh), so I felt like it was time. Today is the first full day, and so far, I don’t feel any different. I’m holding a few days at .075mg, and then I’ll make my way. Thank you, Luey, for posting about liquid...and LD, your positive experience crossing over has been so encouraging to follow.

I told my husband about the trips everyone is talking about. We’ve always been huge travelers, but I’ve had it all on hold to accommodate wd. Y’all have my wheels spinning.

Best to all,

Beauty

Hello all,

Encouraging and great to see everyone doing well!

-beauty-  You are sooo close. Really glad the water titration seems ok. I’m waiting to see the message when you walk out of the water !

-ld- So  glad you are feeling well enough to enjoy a trip! Can’t wait for those days.

-ginger- I wake up with the pounding heart thing also. In the mornings it’s really bad until I get up and moving. That and the stomach flutter which usually indicate I’m going to get antsy soon.

-juju- You are cruising! Thanks for the kind words.

-Luey- I can see your paraglider set up already. 6mg to. 25! Amazing and helps keeps things in perspective for me.

-tech- I’m hoping sleep returns for you. I get sleep but never all night. It’s a tough thing for sure.

-poweball- Thanks for the reminder!

I’m doing ok. Had 3 good window days which was incredible. Going to taper down to .37.5mg tomorrow and see how the journey goes.

Wishing you all continued windows and freedom.

Gingermint ,

It’s awful some nights I can deal with it other nights it really gets to me .  I could never nap threw my entire taper what I would give for a nice comfy nap ... I will keep hoping for one . But I would love a night sleep like before all this , that feeling of just sleep and you wake up in the morning . Not me I am up and down the entire night and never had a sleep problem before this taper .

Wanttheoldmeback

We will keep trying for that night sleep

Nice to hear from everyone .

Lisa

Gingermint ,

It’s awful some nights I can deal with it other nights it really gets to me .  I could never nap threw my entire taper what I would give for a nice comfy nap ... I will keep hoping for one . But I would love a night sleep like before all this , that feeling of just sleep and you wake up in the morning . Not me I am up and down the entire night and never had a sleep problem before this taper .

Wanttheoldmeback

We will keep trying for that night sleep

Nice to hear from everyone .

Lisa

I can totally relate Tech.  Last night I lay awake for over an hour, fell asleep, then woke sometime during the night but eventually fell asleep again.  So that's not a bad night.  I may have gotten six hours.  The thing is, when you've built up several weeks worth of a sleep deficit, it takes more than a night or two of sleep to make much of a difference.

In 2018 I had a rough time, I held for months.  During my 7th month of holding my sleep improved and a month later my heart pounding was gone and I was sleeping and dreaming every night.  It was heaven.  The only thing we can do is hang on and know that it will get better.  G

Hey friends, could use some help here. I switched to liquid 5 days ago and really hit a snag yesterday. I'm feeling very terrible since yesterday afternoon. Intense withdrawal feeling....very high anxiety, internal tremors/shaking, and new to me as of yesterday, tingling/pins and needles feeling in my limbs.

I know of a few of you in this group are on a liquid taper now. Did you go through anything like this? What did you do? If its really bad should I just revert back to pills? I cut straight over from pills to liquid which was probably a stupid thing to do as I should have slowly transitioned over.

I'm doing the .5mg pill + 1ml vodka + 49ml water deal.

The first 3 days were actually really good, then the 4th day came and BANG. I've had a pretty rough 2 1/2 weeks so this is not coming at a welcome time.

Hey friends, could use some help here. I switched to liquid 5 days ago and really hit a snag yesterday. I'm feeling very terrible since yesterday afternoon. Intense withdrawal feeling....very high anxiety, internal tremors/shaking, and new to me as of yesterday, tingling/pins and needles feeling in my limbs.

I know of a few of you in this group are on a liquid taper now. Did you go through anything like this? What did you do? If its really bad should I just revert back to pills? I cut straight over from pills to liquid which was probably a stupid thing to do as I should have slowly transitioned over.

The first 3 days were actually really good, then the 4th day came and BANG. I've had a pretty rough 2 1/2 weeks so this is not coming at a welcome time.

April,

Did you switch to liquid at the same time you made a cut?  It looks like that in your signature.  Pills to liquid was seamless for me, no sx at all but I waited to make my next cut in case I needed an adjustment period for the liquid.  I waited a week or so then cut.

Not saying your sx couldn't be from going to liquid but they sound more like benzo withdrawal to me.  I do .5 pill, 2 ml 80 proof vodka (I was told no less than 80 proof) and 48 ml water.  I measure very carefully and no air bubbles in my syringes.  Even just the mental anxiety of going from pills to liquid can cause sx.  Our brains are very powerful.

If it were me I would just keep holding and let your CNS settle down.  That's what works for me. G

Hi April, 

So sorry to hear you're having a rough time. I have heard a small minority of people having a hard time switching to liquid. It makes sense to transition to liquid gradually but I don't know how you would do it at such low doses.  I was at a high dose when I switched so combined tablets with liquid initially but didn't have a problem.  I did hold to make sure I was stable before tapering.

Sierra, who was here to pass the torch when I joined the group, said Ativan has a three to four day feedback loop which fits the amount of time in which you experienced an uptick of symptoms.  In the early part of my taper I think I simply went too fast; the cumulative effect of my cuts caught up with me.  After the withdrawal symptoms hit, it took quite a few weeks before I stabilized. I really had to slow down.

I do think when you're feeling poorly it's best to hold until you have more good days than bad.

You certainly could try going back to dry tablets while holding and see if it helps. I know how hard it can be to make these decisions, do your best to listen to your body.

*A little taper tip of you decide to stay with liquid I learned from Builder.  Draw out your full dose for the day 16.5ml (.165mg) into a glass measuring cup. Top the cup off with water.  Then drink your doses according to how you divide your doses.  Example: 1/3 cup x3 daily. 

Take your time my friend.  If there's one thing I really had to learn and surrender to it was to slow down and do a symptom based taper.  It's better to feel good and take longer than go fast and throw you cns off. 

Keep us posted,  Best wishes,

Luey

Hi April,

I switched from low dose tablet to liquid in June.

Your measurements sound perfect, as long as your vodka is at least 80 proof.

In your signature, it does look like you decreased the dose when you started the liquid taper. Consider going back to the last dose of tablet but in liquid form and stabilize there for as long as it takes.

Feel free to ask me any questions. I'm no expert, and everything I learned, I learned from these folks.

low dose

April,

I find it interesting that I had issues at around the same dose. See my signature below. Maybe it is a tough spot or maybe it is the transition... Hang in there, it got better for me.

low dose

Hi April, 

So sorry to hear you're having a rough time. I have heard a small minority of people having a hard time switching to liquid. It makes sense to transition to liquid gradually but I don't know how you would do it at such low doses.  I was at a high dose when I switched so combined tablets with liquid initially but didn't have a problem.  I did hold to make sure I was stable before tapering.

Sierra, who was here to pass the torch when I joined the group, said Ativan has a three to four day feedback loop which fits the amount of time in which you experienced an uptick of symptoms.  In the early part of my taper I think I simply went too fast; the cumulative effect of my cuts caught up with me.  After the withdrawal symptoms hit, it took quite a few weeks before I stabilized. I really had to slow down.

I do think when you're feeling poorly it's best to hold until you have more good days than bad.

You certainly could try going back to dry tablets while holding and see if it helps. I know how hard it can be to make these decisions, do your best to listen to your body.

*A little taper tip of you decide to stay with liquid I learned from Builder.  Draw out your full dose for the day 16.5ml (.165mg) into a glass measuring cup. Top the cup off with water.  Then drink your doses according to how you divide your doses.  Example: 1/3 cup x3 daily. 

Take your time my friend.  If there's one thing I really had to learn and surrender to it was to slow down and do a symptom based taper.  It's better to feel good and take longer than go fast and throw you cns off. 

Luey

Thank you for the insight Luey. That 3-4 day feedback loop makes perfect sense and it lines up exactly with the transition to water. I've been really trying to surrender, so difficult when our body's reaction is to FIGHT. Appreciate the tip! Right now I'm just shooting the 10ml syringe right into my mouth. Do you think it would be better to do as you describe about putting it in a larger glass?

April,

Did you switch to liquid at the same time you made a cut?  It looks like that in your signature.  Pills to liquid was seamless for me, no sx at all but I waited to make my next cut in case I needed an adjustment period for the liquid.  I waited a week or so then cut.

Not saying your sx couldn't be from going to liquid but they sound more like benzo withdrawal to me.  I do .5 pill, 2 ml 80 proof vodka (I was told no less than 80 proof) and 48 ml water.  I measure very carefully and no air bubbles in my syringes.  Even just the mental anxiety of going from pills to liquid can cause sx.  Our brains are very powerful.

If it were me I would just keep holding and let your CNS settle down.  That's what works for me. G

Yeah, technically I made the cut one day prior to switching to liquid. I made the dry cut to .165 when I still wasn't feeling so great but I was really getting down on myself for not making any progress the prior two weeks. One of those "if I'm going to be miserable, might as well make progress while doing it" cuts. Yes I really need my CNS to mellow out. I've found that the CNS is a mometum machine...either gaining momentum to negative or gaining momentum to the positive. I think thats why I did see well for 5-6 weeks straight, positive mind set and feeling good just kept building on itself. Unfortunately that same thing happened to me with the other side of that the last 2 1/2 weeks.

The transition to water the day after the dry cut was a desperation play. I was so sick of the 2 week wave and was also so sick of not having confidence anymore at this low level in the scales that I just made the snap judgement to switch. I had been thinking about it for weeks so I had all of the stuff I needed to do it.

Hi April,

In your signature, it does look like you decreased the dose when you started the liquid taper. Consider going back to the last dose of tablet but in liquid form and stabilize there for as long as it takes.

Feel free to ask me any questions. I'm no expert, and everything I learned, I learned from these folks.

low dose

Excellent, thank you for verifying. I'm using 40% alcohol which is 80 proof I believe. Yeah, decreased the dose the day before I switched....a big no no and total rookie mistake. But my mind was just going crazy during that time.

Thank everyone for the quick responses. I'm so completely indebted to this forum for life.

Hi April, 

Luey

Thank you for the insight Luey. That 3-4 day feedback loop makes perfect sense and it lines up exactly with the transition to water. I've been really trying to surrender, so difficult when our body's reaction is to FIGHT. Appreciate the tip! Right now I'm just shooting the 10ml syringe right into my mouth. Do you think it would be better to do as you describe about putting it in a larger glass?

April,

Yeah, technically I made the cut one day prior to switching to liquid. I made the dry cut to .165 when I still wasn't feeling so great but I was really getting down on myself for not making any progress the prior two weeks. One of those "if I'm going to be miserable, might as well make progress while doing it" cuts. Yes I really need my CNS to mellow out. I've found that the CNS is a mometum machine...either gaining momentum to negative or gaining momentum to the positive. I think thats why I did see well for 5-6 weeks straight, positive mind set and feeling good just kept building on itself. Unfortunately that same thing happened to me with the other side of that the last 2 1/2 weeks.

The transition to water the day after the dry cut was a desperation play. I was so sick of the 2 week wave and was also so sick of not having confidence anymore at this low level in the scales that I just made the snap judgement to switch. I had been thinking about it for weeks so I had all of the stuff I needed to do it.

Hi April,

low dose

Excellent, thank you for verifying. I'm using 40% alcohol which is 80 proof I believe. Yeah, decreased the dose the day before I switched....a big no no and total rookie mistake. But my mind was just going crazy during that time.

Thank everyone for the quick responses. I'm so completely indebted to this forum for life.

April,

I totally get your line of thinking.  So many times I've gotten myself into a bad wave the same way.  That you had a good spell for 5 weeks proves that that feeling is in you and will happen again if you let your CNS calm down.  This is a rough road with lots of twists and turns.  For myself, after a long bad spell I figure I deserve a rest from wd, feeling good and normal sleep.  That's why I do the long holds.  It may take us longer to cross the finish line but we'll still cross it. G

Truth Gingermint!

Does anyone know if it matters if I take the liquid dose with food? I know that not much gets absorbed in the stomach as far as nutrients but I'm guessing the more food that is in your stomach the longer it takes for the dose to get into your small intestine and absorbed? Being that we have to be pretty close on timing each day I'm curious about this.

Truth Gingermint!

Does anyone know if it matters if I take the liquid dose with food? I know that not much gets absorbed in the stomach as far as nutrients but I'm guessing the more food that is in your stomach the longer it takes for the dose to get into your small intestine and absorbed? Being that we have to be pretty close on timing each day I'm curious about this.

I take mine in two daily doses, 7 am and 7 pm.  I have taken it with food and without.  No difference for me.  I just squirt the syringe into my mouth and expect most if not all is absorbed before it even reaches my stomach. G

Hello Fine Tapering People,

I thought I'd just pop in and give a good report to the only people who would understand why it's a good report.  ;D

Like most people here, I've had many symptoms persist throughout my taper, with nonexistent, broken or nightmarish sleep being at the top. Today I felt a normal wave of sleepiness wash over me-- like when I was a kid-- and I napped for three solid hours. I woke up gradually, too, like a Saturday morning lazy feeling, rather than that drugged startled wakeup involving a benzo. I dreamt, but it wasn't a nightmare this time.

None of my symptoms woke me up or came roaring back as consciousness was rising. I simply heard a little neighbor girl playing outside and her voice carried for a while and became gradually clearer. I remembered my lovely dream for a little bit as I got up to get some water. I actually felt refreshed. Doesn't this sound like a scene from a Disney movie? Like it's just a far-off fairy tale that isn't real or possible?  :angel:

I'm almost completely done with the taper and I just wanted to relay the idea that things don't have to get progressively harder as the dose gets smaller. I thought it would be months and months from the last dose before I ever had a sleep like that. I was trying to come to terms with the idea that I may never have one again. I have no idea when I will have another, but the fact that it happened at all suggests that the fritzed up circuitry is repairing.

I feel like we are all citizens of the Take Nothing for Granted Nation. It's wonderful to have a place and a group to celebrate something this tiny and normal. I didn't want to keep it to myself in case someone needed to hear something encouraging.

-- Liz

Liz,

Best post I have seen in a while, maybe because I can relate with the sleep.

I can only wish and I was almost able to feel the feeling you described in your nap.

How I long for that to happen for me........ I will keep up the faith that it will return again

in time.

Happy for your time of peace

Lisa

lisa

Liz,

That's wonderful!!  Normal sleep! If it happened once it means your brain can do it again.  All those benzo damaged circuits are healing. Two years ago after a 7 month hold my sleep returned like that.  I enjoyed it for a month then started tapering again. G

Hi Again April,

Was today any better?  I hope you have some good moments soon.

Builder, a knowledgeable BB who helped many of us with DLMT, said if you take your benzo dose with food it will decrease the amount your body absorbs.  He recommended to take a dose at least an hour before eating or two hours afterwards.

Since I've been feeling better it doesn't seem to matter.  But in your case when you're trying to ease symptoms, it certainly seems worth trying to take it without food

Good Night All,

Luey

Hello Ativan Tapering buddies! I’m new to the site and was referred to this sub group link for help. Hopefully, I’m in the right place as I’ve posted in the general community which may not be the right spot to get The Ativan “expertise”.

Hi Buddies

I’ve been on Ativan 23 yrs! I’m currently on Ativan 3.75mg taken Only at bedtime. I just started to read & want to plan out a slow, steady Ativan taper. Start with dry cuts then eventually when amounts get really low, possibly a water/liquid taper (I’ve only heard about this recently).

Has anyone been on a high dose of Ativan for so long & been able to taper? Can anyone share their experiences & offer advice?

What about managing withdrawal symptoms (can they even be manageable with a slow, slow taper?) while trying to be Full time working mom & raise a family?

I have only ever taken Ativan at night for sleep, never during the day. Tbh I don’t know if I have inter dose withdrawal Sx (maybe I do & don’t even realize?) bc this bedtime dosing schedule is what I’ve been doing for soooo many years and the way I feel during the  day (yes, there’s always that underlying anxiety, occasional panic attack, muscle weakness, balance issues, sensitivity to light/sound) is all I’ve ever known as my “baseline” normal. During my waking hours, no matter how I feel I pretty much muscle through the day (work wise (fairly stressful professional demanding job), kids, home responsibilities etc. For me, bedtime & not being able to sleep without Ativan is what scares me to death!

Does anyone have experience tapering from high dose Ativan, long time use AND someone who only took at night?

Feeling really (I mean REALLY) scared & alone 🥺

Thank you and nice to meet you all 🙏 Onchao