Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Thanks for the well wishes, Iamstrong37.  You will get through this!  :thumbsup:

Good work Fisher and Sierra!

I hope you feel better and better each day!!  Please keep us posted if you can, although I can understand you might want to move on with your life.

I do have a question for you Fisher and I will write it in another post below this one. 

Here I want to say congratulations on your successful tapers!!  It gives hope!

Lucy

I appreciate your kind and supportive sentiments, Luey!  And wanted to respond that I look at this as a pay-it-forward responsibility. 

When I came on these boards, I was clueless.  My only advantage is I have a chemistry background.  I knew nothing of benzo pharmacology, tapering, withdrawal syndrome, how to manage sxs, etc...  All that, I learned by using the search function a lot and asking questions, then doing my own research, then asking more questions, using myself as a lab rat, etc... 

My point is, as Fisher has said, we are here for you.  We aren't going anywhere soon and are happy to share whatever learnings we have accumulated during our taper and withdrawal.

I hope that's somewhat reassuring.  We truly want each of you to have the smoothest experience possible in this tricky benzo obstacle course. 

xo,

sierra  :smitten:

luey, at the very beginning i was taking 3x dose a day as instructed by my pdoc. Against my pdoc wish, i began my taper on my own.  however, i had no idea what i was doing in at first.  after removing my two day time dose, i had a lot of problem with day time interdose withdrawals.  the sxs would hit like clock work from 11am to 8pm.  And every time i make any adjustment, i would lose sleep for days.  Thinking back it would probably be easier if i taper off each dose evenly, instead of removing one after another. but i did not want to waste any more time to split my remaining dose back up.  Toward the end it really didn't make much difference anyway, at low dosage with DMLT, my interdoes withdrawals sxs completely went away. 

but your situation is different. you're already at a stable dose regiment. your body is already used to 2x a day.  i would recommend you stay with what is comfortable to you and taper off that.  it will take time to get used to the new split dose, and we certainly don't want to waste any time.

thanks for all your kind wish, my ativan buddies!

me and sierra will definitely be here, both to update our status and to cheer you guys on!

at 2nd day off, so far things are manageable for me. i'm pretty confident that the tools that we acquired during taper will serve all of us well post taper!!

best wishes to all!

Hi all,

I've been taking Ativan for sleep for about a year now without really understanding the dangers of benzos.  I have been very dangerous in using it because I didn't understand the importance of gradually changing doses - I just took it when I needed it to sleep, changing doses depending on how anxious I was, would stop, then eventually rebound.  I was very foolish.  I currently take about 1.25 mg Ativan to sleep.  I have severe anxiety.  Should I split my dose up to maybe 3 doses a day that equal 1.25 mg?  Do I need to switch to Valium and then taper if I only take Ativan for sleep?  Or can I just gradually reduce the amount of Ativan I take for sleep?

Hi Fisher,

How are you doing today?  I hope its a good day for you, Ativan free!!

Thanks for sharing your experience with dosing. 

It turns out in trying to switch my doses around, it felt challenging for a couple of days, but now for the past two days I have felt better.  So I think I will try to stay with the new schedule of three daily doses of .5,.5, .5 and 1.5 (at night).  When I start DLMT again, I'm going to try to reduce all of my doses simultaneously for now.

It seems to be an ever changing process requiring listening to my body, adapting as needed and trying to find a smooth pace that I can stay with hopefully at least for a while.

I am learning to surrender to the reality that it will likely still take me a year or more.  It's kind of hard to accept, but I must accept it.  Its a challenging life lesson.

Thanks again,

Luey

Hi KJT,

I just saw your post and wanted to say hi.  All of your questions are very good questions.  What I have learned on BBs is everyone's journey is so individual.  Yet, there is so much to learn from each other's experiences.

I hope some buddies will reply to you who have a situation similar to yours who can share their experiences .  Maybe reading around on the forum will give you some ideas too. 

I am in the long process of tapering off a much higher amount of Ativan.

I wish you the most ease possible,

I might not have answers but I am here to support you!!

Luey

Hi all,

I've been taking Ativan for sleep for about a year now without really understanding the dangers of benzos.  I have been very dangerous in using it because I didn't understand the importance of gradually changing doses - I just took it when I needed it to sleep, changing doses depending on how anxious I was, would stop, then eventually rebound.  I was very foolish.  I currently take about 1.25 mg Ativan to sleep.  I have severe anxiety.  Should I split my dose up to maybe 3 doses a day that equal 1.25 mg?  Do I need to switch to Valium and then taper if I only take Ativan for sleep?  Or can I just gradually reduce the amount of Ativan I take for sleep?

Hi kjt,

Welcome!  :)  I also initially took Ativan for sleep.  And, like you, I was never warned about the danger or that I may experience withdrawal.  So, please don't feel as if you were foolish.  It was your doctor's responsibility to forewarn you and s/he is in the wrong and should feel foolish, not you.

We can help give you suggestions as to how to taper directly off Ativan.  Crossing over to valium is not necessary.

When I started tapering, I spread that single bedtime dose into 4.  I kept the one at bedtime larger than the other 3 and dosed about every 6 hours.  Ativan's duration of action - the time your body feels its effects - is about 6-8 hours, depending on metabolism.  This strategy helped reduce interdose withdrawals which can increase anxiety and other symptoms.  It made for a much smoother taper for me.  You may want to try this and give it a week or so for your body to acclimate to the change.

Another suggestion is to use liquid Ativan, as its much easier to measure for consistent dosing as you taper.  You can either get your doctor to prescribe this for you or go to the titration board and get instructions from builder on how to make your own.  He's also kind enough to work with you on developing an initial taper plan.

I hope this helps get you started.  Ask lots of questions, research both on and off this forum, try different methods until you find one you're comfortable with, and ask more questions.  :) 

You are not alone here.  We know how scary this is, but we'll all help you get through it.  I just completed my taper and feel pretty good overall.  We're here to support you!

xo,

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd pop in here and say hello, since I am tapering off Ativan.  I have been in acute withdrawal since December of 18 when I had destabilized my nervous system with a lot of random dosing.  I have been stabilizing at a constant dose since end of January and am finally starting to feel much better, although I've still getting waves and windows even this last week.  ANyway I've been hanging out in the Long Hold Support Group, since I have been holding awhile.  I'm planning to continue holding for at least a month, probably two or even more depending on how I'm feeling.

Congratulations to Fisher and Sierra for jumping.  How great that must be!  I wish you good luck.  I know we all will be there someday sooner than we may think.

Bill

Hi AZBill!

It's great to have you here with all the Ativan buds!  :)  Glad you're getting more stable and feeling better after holding for awhile.  That can really help set you up for a much smoother taper.

Thanks for the well wishes!  Fisher and I were at about the same dose and were tapering at the same rate, so we decided to jump together on the same day - a buddy jump!  :laugh:  It actually made it less scary.  The good news is we're feeling pretty ok right now.  We still have sxs, but nothing unmanageable.  It does feel liberating being benzo free finally.

I think it's important to always listen to your body, accept there are going to be sxs, and just take one day at a time.  All of you will get there soon enough, each at your own pace. 

xo,

Wow Sierra, that is impressive. I am doing the ultra slow approach since my Ativan was purely for sleep. The good news is that I can now taper .001 every day without any sleep disruption. I still need my caffeine boost around noon. But I still have the benzo "feel." I want it to go away. Once I get down to 3.0 mg (from 4.0), I will begin a slow taper on my 1.0 mg of Xanax which I take before my Ativan for sleep. 8th day on my new job. I love it. And my slow tapering has made me 99% functional. I  leave off that 1% because benzo free, I am sure I could do even more. Best wishes to all tapering off Ativan. I think it is trickier when we are taking it for sleep and have to deal with the short half life. Good evening. Powerball

Sierra (or anyone who can help),

How do I get assistance in developing my own taper plan?  Who should I contact and how?

Thanks!

kjt

welcome to the board everyone!  for awhile it was just me and sierra here. happy that this board can reach out  and help more people going through ativan taper!

i think having a positive attitude and don't dwell on the negatives are essential in this taper process.  it's half of the battle!  especially for those who just started the fight, i suggest to avoid boards with horrid stories the best you can. no one is the same as you.  please do not identify yourself with their suffering. Find a few positive boards and stick to them!

kjt, i think tapering from ativan is very doable. there is really no need to switch to valium. in fact you will lose weeks trying to switch to new drug and some never adjust well.  tapering via ativan has it's advantages.  ativan is shorter acting drugs and you can get a feedback right away. it's easier to identify problem and make appropriate adjustments. my understanding is valum is more depressive and people suffer more mentally.  in order for us to help,  it would help us understand your background more if you can go into the details in your signature under profile.

azbill, i want to share my experience with you, but pls take it for what it's worth. i'm sure you're pulled in many ways by all the different theories and suggestions.  i had a tough time in the beginning my taper. all day suffering with little windows.  i did a month long hold at one point and sxs did not get any better. i was never stable.  to my surprise things actually improved when i continued on. when i got to low dosage, it was mostly smooth and my mind is clear. youre such a short term user.  maybe consider shorten the hold a bit and don't let ativan get a tighter grip? but you know your body the best. do what you feel it's right!

luey, it's awesome that you're able to stabilize at the new dose regiment.  i admire your great attitude toward your taper. i'm confident you will do well!

powerball, i'm happy that you're job turns out great! 99% functional is amazing. there is nothing wrong with ultra slow approach. you work at the pace that's comfortable to you!

today is the third day of ativan free.  So far things are going ok on the ativan front. will keep you guys posted.

best wishes to all!!

Thanks Fisher for your thoughts about continuing my taper, I do appreciate any input.  Early on I thought the same as you, that I’m short term and I should just continue down.  It didn’t work, I was suffering a lot on tiny cuts.  I determined my CNS was just too sensitized, and after some reading, a long hold seemed like the best bet for folks like me.  There are many stories on here of unstable people who got a lot better with a long hold of several months and then walked off the med after a smooth taper.  That’s my plan!  I’m now starting to feel pretty good, much improved so the hold seems to be working, we will see

It looks like you were able to taper off pretty quickly with no holding so that is real good, congrats

Thanks again!

Bill

Sierra, how is your sleep being benzo free? Today was yuck. It wasn't that I had more sxs, I just felt drugged a little bit and look forward to getting off these two benzos and maybe some of my bipolar drugs - if that is really the true diagnosis. I will say one thing and this is pre-benzo - my drugs did make me calmer and was able to get a big job when before I think I was a tad manic even if others did not see it. But I felt it. My psychiatrist is very laissez-fair about these benzos and while I have not been on them that long I am already dependent. I decided to double my cut tonight to 0.002 and see how that works. Best to all of you working on your own individual/unique path to mental health. Powerball

Hi all just wondering , I still have good two week intervals . Then sleeping suffers again and I get anxious . Still cutting slowly but wish sleep would return

Best to all

Sierra, how is your sleep being benzo free? Today was yuck. It wasn't that I had more sxs, I just felt drugged a little bit and look forward to getting off these two benzos and maybe some of my bipolar drugs - if that is really the true diagnosis. I will say one thing and this is pre-benzo - my drugs did make me calmer and was able to get a big job when before I think I was a tad manic even if others did not see it. But I felt it. My psychiatrist is very laissez-fair about these benzos and while I have not been on them that long I am already dependent. I decided to double my cut tonight to 0.002 and see how that works. Best to all of you working on your own individual/unique path to mental health. Powerball

Hi Powerball,

Now that I'm on day 5 of benzo freedom (and so is FisherK!), sleep was a solid 6 quality hours last night and I'm feeling pretty rested.  Ironically, while I began taking benzos to help me sleep, soon after I think they actually messed up the quality of my sleep, even though I was getting a full 8 hours. 

What's helped me as I taper is daily practice of the coping skills I've learned through CBT.  Exercise and socializing have also been important factors for me.  Starting out slowly, from wherever you're at, and taking baby steps forward is key as is consistency.

Having a job you love is fantastic!  You get to interact professionally, exercise your brain and have a sense of purpose.  This will serve you well as you taper down and remove benzos from your system. 

Hope everyone is doing great!  Healing is happening as you taper down!

xo,

ativan taper is such a cyclical thing.  So difficult to predict.  keep a good sleep hygiene, i'm sure sleep will return for you soon.  i find melatone helps in that department. maybe you can give that a try.

so far the things have been tolerable after benzo jump.  don't read too much into the scary stories.  the severe withdrawals sxs is rare and likely not be what you will experience! maintain a positive attitude, keep working your taper, one day at a time. you will be there in no time!

AZ Bill, I also had to slow down considerably and hold in the last two months to stabilize. It helped quite a bit.  I'm glad that is working for you too.  I'm planning to start tapering again on Sunday.  Wish me luck!

Powerball, I have had to accept that mental health issues will likely be a challenge for me for the rest of my life.  I might need to stay on medication for major depression, but hopefully NOT benzos!  I am determined to get off the Ativan even though it could take me quite a while.  I am also wishing you ease and peace (of mind) on your journey.

Tech21, Not sleeping makes the day after so much more difficult.  In the past two weeks I have moved .25 of my nighttime dose to my three day time doses.  For the first time I have had a few nights where it was difficult to go to sleep.  On those nights I have used a low dose 0.9mg of dual release melatonin called "Sleep Answer."  Also if it has been six hours since my last dose and I'm not sleeping I take one of my other three 0.5 doses.  With both of those I have gone to sleep and slept for between 5-7 hours.  I hope your sleep improves!

Thanks Sierra and FisherK for your encouragement, positive updates and staying around for those of us still on the way down!  That's so cool that you had the same jump date and are doing well so far!

I would like to have a Buddie like the two of you had each other moving along at a similar rate.  Maybe someone with a similar situation to mine will post something here. It seems I am going to be here for a while.

Blessings to all of you!

Luey

Sierra, my God you were on 1 mg?! I started tapering on 4 and Luey on 6mg! and I'm dying to get to 3.5.  I think you are right about socializing and exercising. Today my 9 hr day - I could have easily taken the last hr and gone home (10 hrs). But I really wanted to attend my Self Realization Center Good Friday services, but boy did my body not want to go. But it was absolutely refreshing and I got lots of energy during and after. I kind of said to myself "You are NOT going to let this shove me into a cave!" So I am going to build on what I did this evening. I am dry cutting 0.002 daily now (instead of 0.001) and my sleep is 100%. If I am ok after 7 days I am going to go to 0.003. But I still have that Benzo fog that I want to rid myself of. That's why I am here. Now that you are off, I do hope you stay around some and encourage the rest of us tugging away....Thanks  Powerball

Luey, I began on 4mg and I am going to be here awhile. I am cutting ultra slowly. I have been obsessed with getting 9 hours of sleep my whole life and believe me, I feel a big difference between 8 and 9. 8.5 works sometimes. That's why I was so devastated when one does of that Wellbutrin ended the efficacy of my Ambien I took for 7 1/2 years. But I wanted to get off that too since It made travel difficult, I had to calculate if I was going to run out or something and had to schedule vacations around refill time. It was a pain in the as...It is just hard think that It may have took a Benzo side trip to get off the Ambien. I am not at THAT level of acceptance yet. I am also on that 1 mg of Xanax which I am going to begin cutting when I get down to 3.5 of Ativan. Let's keep on posting our journeys. I am here most every night. Powerball

so sorry to hear that tech!  i rmb sxs struck me the hardest btw 0.5 to 0.25mg as well.  after 0.25mg, i switched to DMLT, and things improved drastically for me. be positive and have faith, things will get better!

powerball and luey,  i know the journey might feel long from where you're at, but pls take one day at a time, as slow as you need. you all will get there! me and sierra were never at that high of dosage, but we are happy to provide suggestions and support whenever you guys and girls need!

sierra, thanks for being there for me!  wish all of you can find that special buddies!

i'm entering week 2 post jump, and i'm continue healing every day! everyone pls be strong. healing does happen!

FisherK. I have dropped 8% of 4 mg in 15 days. Sounds slow. Today was my first night dropping 0.003. So far my sleep has been 100% and for the last two days I have not needed my afternoon caffeine boost when the half life of Ativan disappears. I wonder if I am going too slow but I will go down 0.001 every 5 days if I remain w/o sxs. I have been very productive at work and that is critical for me.  Thanks to you and Sierra. Luey how is your sleep? Powerball