Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

How would I do DMLT when I work 8 hrs a day and my commute is about 1 hr each way? Tonight I am trying an experiment. My pre-Ativan sleep dose is 1 mg of Xanax. I used to take 0.5 whenever I got really anxious but to be honest I rarely used it. When I went to 4 mg of Ativan my psychiatrist suggested I use the Xanax 1 mg pre-Ativan dose since he did not want me to go past 4 mg of Ativan. So tonight I am taking only o.5mg Xanax and cutting my Ativan back only 0.001. It would great to get off my Xanax as I taper down my Ativan. Let's see what happens. It's Friday night so I can EXPERIMENT! Powerball.

Wishing you all daily successes, no matter how small, even one moment at a time.

luey, great quote!! victory is won not in miles, but in inches!!

happyrunner, i hope all is going well with your taper!

tech, good to hear you're planning on switching. i'm sure you will find DMLT is much easier and smoother.

powerball, you can mix two batches. is it possible to leave one batch in office's fridge and the other at home?  i don't have experience in multiple benzos, i imaging it's probably better to taper off one completely, before tapering off the other??  you probably want to post this question in withdraw support board.  more people will be able to chime in.

sierra, how are things going with you?

as for me, at two and half weeks things are going really well.  occasionally, i will get some flair ups, but i'm not even sure if it's withdraw related or just daily stress. life has certainly picked pace.  i wish everyone well.  chin up and keep faith!

Today will be my first liquid , I dose three times a day , can I pull all three doses from the same container as long as I shake it up in between each dose . Or do I have to pull out the full days dose in three different containers

Today will be my first liquid , I dose three times a day , can I pull all three doses from the same container as long as I shake it up in between each dose . Or do I have to pull out the full days dose in three different containers

This is great news, Lisa!  :)  Just pull all your doses from the same container.  No need to make more batches than necessary too soon.  Shaking it up is a good idea right before dosing, to ensure uniform distribution.  Additionally, refrigeration and using distilled water will help protect it from microbial contamination, especially if you've made more than a few day's worth. 

Let us know how it goes!

You got this!

xo,

sierra  :smitten:

Well that experiment was a disaster! What made me think I could just cut my 1mg of Xanax in half and that would work! NOT! So I go back to my original plan -start my Xanax taper when I get down to 3.5 Ativan. There. Powerball

Hi Powerball,  Sorry it didn't work to cut your Xanax in half.  You wouldn't have known if you hadn't tried.  As you said, the weekend was a good time to give it a try.

I know what its like to have to keep redesigning a plan.  Please don't get discouraged, keep going back to the drawing board as often as you need to keep your symptoms tolerable.

Hi Tech, I hope your first day switching to Daily Liquid Micro Tapering went well. 

At such a slow rate and long way to go, I can feel trapped by these small but potent little pills.  I have no choice but accept and keep reminding myself I started at 6mg. daily. so I am making progress.  I keep telling myself if I listen to my body and take good care of myself, I can succeed. It takes so much patience. I'm trying to get to 2.75 in the next 10 days., DLMT seems to be helping.

I'm supporting your efforts!!!  Keep on going!  (hold if needed)

Luey

Hi all thanks for the well wishes .

Lucy you are doing great !

Powerball I hope you find a way that works for you .

Sierra and Fisher

Thank you both

Does anyone have experience with the brand name Ativan from Bausch (previously Valeant).

When Mylan was discontinued, my psychiatrist wanted me to take the brand name and writes it as such--very expensive but my insurance covers it.

It's much more friable (get chipped easily and gets powdery when split).

With the last pharmacy vial I was given, a new thing happened where it melts the second I put it in my mouth before I can even get water and it turns into a paste.

I started feeling more withdrawal symptoms than I had been, and I eventually had the worst headache of my life I went to the ER for to have a CT scan, which was normal.

I've been feeling more off in my head. I'm much more tired but also feel too withdrawal to sleep--just a bad brain feeling. Last night I had these brain shocks over and over again every time my brain tried to turn off.

Tonight I took one of the tablets and it didn't melt and I feel "normal" for me again two hours later. The pharmacist told me that 10 of the tablets from my last fill came from one bottle and 80 from another.

I also had a few older tablets from the same manufacturer from before this fill and for my doses earlier tried those instead, but for some reason still felt bad withdrawal feelings.

My script is written such that I can only get the brand name. I can't request a generic.

Honestly not sure if there's a connection between the tablets melting and the symptoms I've had.

I tried searching the forum and didn't see any posts about Valeant / Bausch.

But it seemed like this one from the recent fill that didn't melt changed my brain significantly for the better and reversed the withdrawal feeling I've been having. I had been lying here feeling like I had to sleep but couldn't and just in this daze, and this sort of just brought clarity back. Before that I had been using my older tablets, but I'm not sure why they wouldn't have helped since they also didn't melt.

In general this brand name seems to much more sensitive--all of them in terms of coming with chips on them and being dusty if you try to split them--but this new vial with them melting.

Bausch wants me to return them to the pharmacy, but the pharmacist said it will just be replaced with tablets from one of the two bottles it was already filled with so she didn't see the point.

Does anyone have experience with the brand name Ativan from Bausch (previously Valeant).

When Mylan was discontinued, my psychiatrist wanted me to take the brand name and writes it as such--very expensive but my insurance covers it.

It's much more friable (get chipped easily and gets powdery when split).

With the last pharmacy vial I was given, a new thing happened where it melts the second I put it in my mouth before I can even get water and it turns into a paste.

I started feeling more withdrawal symptoms than I had been, and I eventually had the worst headache of my life I went to the ER for to have a CT scan, which was normal.

I've been feeling more off in my head. I'm much more tired but also feel too withdrawal to sleep--just a bad brain feeling. Last night I had these brain shocks over and over again every time my brain tried to turn off.

Tonight I took one of the tablets and it didn't melt and I feel "normal" for me again two hours later. The pharmacist told me that 10 of the tablets from my last fill came from one bottle and 80 from another.

I also had a few older tablets from the same manufacturer from before this fill and for my doses earlier tried those instead, but for some reason still felt bad withdrawal feelings.

My script is written such that I can only get the brand name. I can't request a generic.

Honestly not sure if there's a connection between the tablets melting and the symptoms I've had.

I tried searching the forum and didn't see any posts about Valeant / Bausch.

But it seemed like this one from the recent fill that didn't melt changed my brain significantly for the better and reversed the withdrawal feeling I've been having. I had been lying here feeling like I had to sleep but couldn't and just in this daze, and this sort of just brought clarity back. Before that I had been using my older tablets, but I'm not sure why they wouldn't have helped since they also didn't melt.

In general this brand name seems to much more sensitive--all of them in terms of coming with chips on them and being dusty if you try to split them--but this new vial with them melting.

Bausch wants me to return them to the pharmacy, but the pharmacist said it will just be replaced with tablets from one of the two bottles it was already filled with so she didn't see the point.

I felt so good after my second of three doses of Ativan for the day after taking the one that didn't melt that I was able to delay my third dose before bed. That one, however, melted. I woke up after only a few hours with a severe headache, pulse in 120s, and feeling what I call a withdrawal feeling in the brain that I don't know how to describe. I even took my first dose of Ativan for the day early, and it also instantly melted and it feels like taking nothing at all. I worry that with most of these pills melting and those ones not working that it's effectively like being in a cold turkey. Again this is with the brand name Valeant / Bausch.

The one that melted last night formed a paste on the roof of my mouth and throat as I swallowed it before I could even get water, and it left a burning/cooling sensation which I've never noticed before.

I know there's something else I'm forgetting. Oh I remembered, took a few minutes.

I read that Ativan loses 75% of potency when exposed to temps 98 F and above:

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/news/4-tips-to-shield-medications-from-summer-sun

"Lorazepam and diazepam decrease in potency by 75% and 25%, respectively, when exposed to temperatures exceeding 98 degrees. "

If these pills are melting the second I put them in my mouth, I wonder if they were exposed to warm temperatures in shipping.

It's very scary and frustrating.

My pharmacist said my current pharmacy bottle was filled from two different manufacturers' bottles, but both with the same lot number. They said they can replace it, but it would be replaced with what they have on hand, which is one of the bottles this was filled with to begin with.

Luey,

No problem. I am ticking away at 0.003 per night without losing sleep. Let's see how long this train drives. Good night all. Powerbll

marcus,

sounds like a bad batch to me. is it possible to go to another pharmacy to get them filled? or as your pdoc for a new script?  never tried the brand name one.  sorry couldn't help you more

marcus,

sounds like a bad batch to me. is it possible to go to another pharmacy to get them filled? or as your pdoc for a new script?  never tried the brand name one.  sorry couldn't help you more

Thank you.

I have been in such horrible fog today. Just total lack of clarity--it's the appearance of being sleepy but it feels like hell. I wish there were a word stronger than fog. It feels like what interdose withdrawal used to feel like but never goes away.

I posted in another thread how my psychiatrist has threatened to terminate me if I don't take a very odd medication that she is a spokesperson for.

I was supposed to take it for two weeks and follow up with her. My GP was against me taking it and told me to delay my appointment with her because she tends to push a thing of the month and sometimes forgets about it, and he thought maybe she would forget about it by the next appointment.

She's a very mean, unhappy person who constantly threatens to terminate. She goes from zero to termination threat all the time.

So I avoid her as much as possible. She actually wrote out a 6 month script for my meds the last time I was there, but it won't be time to fill it until May 26.

I'm pretty sure she would go bezerk and most likely terminate me if I tried asking for another script that could be filled earlier. I'm not even sure if she could do it and how that would work with the state regulations.

Right now the pharmacy I got it from is saying they can take it back but they'll replace it with the same bottle it came from. Which doesn't make sense.

I will call them today.

In such awful fog right now. Need some relief from this.

What generic do you take? I think there are very few available since Mylan was discontinued.

Sierra ,

Not been great , not sure do I hold or go back to pills .

Do I give it a few days ? Nobody seems to be on any more . Hard to talk to anyone .

marcus,

Thank you.

I have been in such horrible fog today. Just total lack of clarity--it's the appearance of being sleepy but it feels like hell. I wish there were a word stronger than fog. It feels like what interdose withdrawal used to feel like but never goes away.

I posted in another thread how my psychiatrist has threatened to terminate me if I don't take a very odd medication that she is a spokesperson for.

I was supposed to take it for two weeks and follow up with her. My GP was against me taking it and told me to delay my appointment with her because she tends to push a thing of the month and sometimes forgets about it, and he thought maybe she would forget about it by the next appointment.

She's a very mean, unhappy person who constantly threatens to terminate. She goes from zero to termination threat all the time.

So I avoid her as much as possible. She actually wrote out a 6 month script for my meds the last time I was there, but it won't be time to fill it until May 26.

I'm pretty sure she would go bezerk and most likely terminate me if I tried asking for another script that could be filled earlier. I'm not even sure if she could do it and how that would work with the state regulations.

Right now the pharmacy I got it from is saying they can take it back but they'll replace it with the same bottle it came from. Which doesn't make sense.

I will call them today.

What generic do you take? I think there are very few available since Mylan was discontinued.

Hi Marcus!

I agree with FisherK, sounds like a bad batch.  And, like you said, it doesn't make sense for your pharmacy to refill from the same bad batch.  Why don't they send it back and restock from a fresh batch?  Could they transfer your current prescription to another pharmacy that has stock from a different batch or a brand you're comfortable with?  Another option would be your GP writing you a new prescription you could get filled at a pharmacy not carrying that batch and/or a different brand.  This all seems reasonable and you wouldn't have to include your pdoc.

Can you find a new pdoc?  Your current one sounds like a nightmare with terrible ethics.  Pushing a drug on you she has financial gains in actually crosses the line of legality, particularly since she's threatening you if you don't comply.  If you're in the US, you could report her to the state medical board. 

Lastly, could you please update your signature so we understand your profile?  Where you're at in your taper from Ativan (lorazepam), etc?

Great to have you here!

Sierra ,

Not been great , not sure do I hold or go back to pills .

Do I give it a few days ? Nobody seems to be on any more . Hard to talk to anyone .

Hi Lisa,

Sorry you're not feeling well. 

It might be a good idea if you gave it a few days to a week.  Are you continuing to taper or holding for a while? 

Are sxs increased compared to dry cutting?  If so, it could be for a few reasons: 

1) increased anxiety over switching methods which would increase sxs until you get comfortable

2) given that weighing at these tiny doses is inaccurate, crossing to liquid may not have been exactly the same dose, so it

may take time to get more stable. 

3) expectations that sxs disappear with liquid, which is not the case - all liquid does is allow more accurate dosing, so you're

tapering at a more consistent rate than dry cutting. 

Only you can decide if you want to stay with liquid or revert to dry cutting.  None of us can make that decision for you.  However, I'd encourage you to give the liquid a few more days.  As I recall, you were having a bad time dry cutting and that's why you've been working with me, wavesontheshore, builder and possibly other buddies to transition to DLMT. 

Tapering was never without sxs for me, even with liquid.  However, because measuring liquid is more accurate than weighing at the very low end of a jeweler's scale, that's the most compelling reason for it.  But, if you find dry cutting more preferable, that may be right for you.

Hope these questions and explanations help you think it through.

Thank you . You have answered all my questions . Nothing is worst just still there . Sleep is difficult and racing thoughts only when I try to sleep . I know I have made myself a nervous wreck about this , I will have to calm down . And yes I am holding for a week .

Thank you

marcus, that's a horrible pdoc!!  can you ask your general to refer you to another?  if not, i dont think you even need one.  i was dropped by my pdoc, because i insisted on tapering, against her wish.  i assume you're here because you want to taper your ativan.  your general can prescribe all the med you need, if he is supportive!  after they discontinued the watson brand, i was switched to the generic from major pharmaceutical.  i had a week of terrible sxs after the switch, but it eventually stabilized for me.  oh, one thing you can really help us helping you is to update your signature.

tech, if the sxs gets worse after the switch, i would first check if the solution is mixed correctly, or the conversion is done accurately.  it should be the same concentration as what you were taking in solid.  i advice go over all calculation again, and give it a chance to stabilize. it provides a more accurate dosage, but it's no magic bullet. what really helped me was the daily taper aspect, and the liquid method makes daily taper possible at low dosage.

best wishes to all!

marcus,

Thank you.

I will call them today.

Hi Marcus!

I agree with FisherK, sounds like a bad batch.  And, like you said, it doesn't make sense for your pharmacy to refill from the same bad batch.  Why don't they send it back and restock from a fresh batch?  Could they transfer your current prescription to another pharmacy that has stock from a different batch or a brand you're comfortable with?  Another option would be your GP writing you a new prescription you could get filled at a pharmacy not carrying that batch and/or a different brand.  This all seems reasonable and you wouldn't have to include your pdoc.

Can you find a new pdoc?  Your current one sounds like a nightmare with terrible ethics.  Pushing a drug on you she has financial gains in actually crosses the line of legality, particularly since she's threatening you if you don't comply.  If you're in the US, you could report her to the state medical board. 

Lastly, could you please update your signature so we understand your profile?  Where you're at in your taper from Ativan (lorazepam), etc?

Great to have you here!

Thank you for the welcome.

I agree it doesnt make sense what the pharmacy is doing. What they told me today (which makes no sense) is that if this batch is bad that they're replacing it with, I have to file another complaint, and they'll do another replacement.

The reason they say that is that the replacement from the manufacturer will not come until the end of the week and the company wants the meds back now (and is actually upset they don't already have it).

I asked about them getting stock from another store. First they said they couldn't because it's a controlled substance. Then they looked into and saw that there is no other CVS in the area with the name brand in stock.

The name brand is *extremely* expensive.

I think my insurance pays over $3,000 for a 90 day supply. You can check on GoodRx and I think that's what the prices there show too.

So my pharmacy will not order any unless they know someone can pay for it, in this case my insurance which won't let me do a new fill until the end of the month.

It can't be filled with anything but brand name because it says brand medically necessary on the script. The pharmacist said they would need a new script from the psychiatrist to get a generic instead, and that would be like poking a bear.

One day when I get a new psychiatrist, I am going to write a book on this one. Until then I feel like I have to be careful not saying too much about her.

I did ask my GP what to do.

He has kind of a low-staff office so he lets me text with him. I wrote him out a very long saga and he just wrote back (paraphrasing), "Why not stop the lorazepam and see if it really is doing nothing?"

I must have at some point said it feels like it's doing nothing and he sort of capitalized on that. I couldn't quite tell if he doesn't understand benzos much or if he was making a remark that he thought I was being silly. I wrote back with more questions, but it's kind of his style to write one thing and leave it at that. Better than you get with most doctors to get any response.

But it obviously could be subpotent without having no potency at all as he was suggesting.

As far as a pdoc, yes I have one scheduled--a new one. I'm a little wary based on the reviews, plus he's 70 so if he's good he won't be practicing too much longer. I've tried other ones and when they see I am on two benzos they say it's not a good fit. I'm scared and have no idea what to expect. I feel like you're putting your life in someone's hands when you see a new psychiatrist.

In another thread I described how my psychologist told me that I have put up with what he called "psychiatric abuse" because I have been so afraid of making changes with the benzos—essentially putting up with a somewhat corrupt psychiatrist because I knew if I saw a new psychiatrist they will make rapid changes to the benzos, let alone see me at all.

I'm also still getting very bad headaches every time I lie down. I get them right at the base of my head. It's been worrying me a lot. The emergency room said to follow up with a neurologist if headaches continued so I will call today. But I have been sleeping (the little I've been sleeping) in the daytime and awake overnight. Very hard for me to stay on a normal schedule. I need to advance it forward or backward, but it never sticks once I get it normal. It keeps slipping forward until I go all the way around the clock again.

I will update my signature.

marcus, that's a horrible pdoc!!  can you ask your general to refer you to another?  if not, i dont think you even need one.  i was dropped by my pdoc, because i insisted on tapering, against her wish.  i assume you're here because you want to taper your ativan.  your general can prescribe all the med you need, if he is supportive!  after they discontinued the watson brand, i was switched to the generic from major pharmaceutical.  i had a week of terrible sxs after the switch, but it eventually stabilized for me.  oh, one thing you can really help us helping you is to update your signature.

tech, if the sxs gets worse after the switch, i would first check if the solution is mixed correctly, or the conversion is done accurately.  it should be the same concentration as what you were taking in solid.  i advice go over all calculation again, and give it a chance to stabilize. it provides a more accurate dosage, but it's no magic bullet. what really helped me was the daily taper aspect, and the liquid method makes daily taper possible at low dosage.

best wishes to all!

Thanks. Good to know Major works.

My GP is very kind and supportive but says he wants another "set of eyes" on me, meaning a psychiatrist. He has set me up with one. Earliest was June 18. So a ways off. Very slim pickings where I live.

I wanted to include more in my profile but it didn't fit. Here's what I was trying to post with more complete explanation of why I'm on what I'm on:

Born 1982

-Put on Ativan 2 mg daily at age 14

-At college had Klonopin added on (don't remember how much)

-At some point after college medical leave in early 2000s, doctor streamlined me on all Ativan at 4 mg per day

-In 2014, pdoc changed me from 4 mg Ativan to 3.5 mg Ativan and 5 mg Valium

-Dropped Valium dose until pdoc let me cut Ativan again to 3 mg Ativan and 6 mg Valium, which is current dose (2019)

Psychiatrist for last several years has switched focus from benzos to being anti-SSRI and pushing many very expensive pharmaceuticals and medications and has not wanted to change benzos

I have become resistant to trying new expensive pharmaceuticals and am waiting for new psychiatrist

Meds:

-3 mg Ativan

-6 mg Valium

-Paxil 20 mg daily (was reduce by psychiatrist from 30 mg—and it was helping my OCD more then; now my OCD is out of control—everyone but my psychiatrist agrees my OCD is so bad need a higher SSRI dose; but my psychiatrist has said I must go off Paxil and take $1,000/month drug to heal Paxil brain damage or will terminate me which is why I’m seeking new doctor)

-Seroquel 37.5 mg (was first prescribed for my Tourette’s tics but made me fall asleep so started taking it at night and now rely on it for falling asleep)

As an update, I live with my parents and was e-mailing them about these symptoms.

My dad keeps track of all my pill bottles because I have OCD about being around chemicals.

Anyhow, he woke up after reading my e-mail and found two bottles of Mylan Ativan with about 15 tablets and more in the other--he didn't know how many. Not sure why didn't use that up--probably because I was afraid of the switch when it was discontinued and wanted to save some.

He came up and gave me 1 to take instead of the name brand that seems to be a bad batch.

That was around 145 AM. I forgot I had even taken it, and then around 315 AM, I noticed my headache was gone. I noticed I was sleepy but could actually lean into the sleepiness rather than the exhausting tired but can't let go feeling where I'm fussing and agitating. I feel like I could have taken 1/4 of that same 1 mg tablet and it would have done far more than this batch of name brand has been doing, if it's been doing anything at all.

I just feel 100% different.

And I was clear enough to realize something. The pharmacist said that my last Ativan was filled from two different manufacturer's bottles—one open 100 count bottle that had 80 tablets left in it, and from another 100 count bottle that was full and that she took another 10 out of to make a 30 day supply (90 tablets). Both bottles have the same lot number. My replacement is coming from the second bottle that she took 10 tablets from.

She has also told me I'm the only person in the pharmacy who uses name brand Ativan.

That means that I must have previously taken 20 tablets from the one that had the 80 left in it, but had never before from the one that now has 90 left in it, which is what they're going to replace my medicine with.

I had symptoms a while back after an antibiotic, but that went away. I've never felt anything like this. I think I've got mostly (80 out of the 90--mixed together so now way to know) tablets from a bottle I've been on before, and yet have never felt anything like this. And then maybe it was the new vial that had the 10 mixed in that I've taken. Perhaps those are the ones melting and not working. Because not all of them have melted. But overall I haven't felt better except for one time taking a dose on this recent batch.

In general the name brand seemed less well made than Mylan in that it chipped in the bottle and wouldn't split without crumbling, but never felt it not working like this.

Still extremely confused at why they insist on replacing with same bottle. Now that I may have enough Mylan until the replacement bottle comes, I wonder if they'll let me replace with that instead.

The pharmacist seems very intent on replacing with what they already have, but that may have been in part because the company wanted it back so fast and it meant I would need to take whatever the pharmacist had rather than wait for a replacement to arrive (I reported it last Wednesday and she said not arriving until the end of this week).

I feel like I'm not fighting to think, which is what I had been having to do.

If only Mylan still made Ativan. This is not a long-term solution but does confirm to me that the name-brand has been a bad batch.

Sierra

I had an ok day . Anxiety and just don’t feel myself . But doable

Night time is the worst slept for a bit but when I wake at 2 am I feel very uncomfortable physically I feel like shakes inside unable to get comfortable can’t fall back to sleep . Muscle tightness.

Any ideas ? I will give it more time . I am not reducing just staying at 28.6 ml divided into 3 doses .

Thank you

Lisa

To all: If all goes well next week I will have gone from 4mg of Ativan to 3.5 successfully. I know it has been slow, but I have been 100% effective at work. I think I may have said here once that my psychiatrist just bumped me down from 4 to 3.5 once and I could not take it. I could not sleep. So my slow taper is working. He said do not touch my 1 mg of Xanax for now. he said it is much harder to taper that off. Good evening to all. Powerball. Looks like from the posts above FisherK and Sierra are needed back.

Powerball, good work with your slow taper and awesome you are sleeping and fully functioning at work.

Tech, I hope you stabilize with your new DLMT so you feel better and can continue.  You are so close.

Sierra and Fisher,  How are you doing?  Come back, we need you.  (I can also see why you are moving on with your lives).

It seems we are all making progress here.

Take good care of yourselves everyone and keep the faith.

Luey