Long term steroid use and benzos

[Bu...]

[Bu...]

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here was ever prescribed oral steroids for an extended period of time while also on benzos?  Or do you know of any information anywhere on the subject?  I tried searching the forum, but didn't find anything relevant.  (Maybe I didn't phrase it right?)

I am just trying to sort out my medically complicated past.  Thanks!

[ns...]

Hi BurnTheShips, hey I wasnt on any oral steroids but have had steroid shots in the past. A few months back er referred me to get shots for my back and it was a terrible experience.

I've never had a reaction like that to injections and had to conclude that it was due to brnzos and withdrawal. 

I guess this is off topic but thought it might be if some relevance.

Hope your doing well and getting some rest. 

Bless ya

Ns

• Like 1

[Co...]

I had the opposite, I had already severe symptoms from steroids and that is how I ended up on the benzo. Either way, they do not seem to mix that well. Did you try searching cortisone, prednisone, etc.? I think there are some experiences here. If I remember correctly, I once read that @[pi...] was totally fine with steroids?

• Like 1

[Bu...]

Thanks, @[Co...],

I didn't try searching all of those yet; I'll give them a try.

@[ns...],

Sleep is still being elusive and finicky, maybe has something to do with the steroid use.  

• Like 1

[ns...]
8 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

Thanks, @[Co...],

I didn't try searching all of those yet; I'll give them a try.

@[ns...],

Sleep is still being elusive and finicky, maybe has something to do with the steroid use.  

Oh maybe. I didn't know you were still on them. Or did I miss understand. If u are taking them, yes, they can cause uneasiness. I know the injections did me but helped with my pain in my  shoulder blade but I had trouble sleeping, felt uneasy. But I have heard that oral steroids can also cause this. 

I'm 😞 sorry.youre still not sleeping well.

I've actually Bern getting at least a few hrs, thats an improvement but it's always broken sleep but I'll take it.

My back and shoulder pain doesn't help, like pressure points in my hip and lower backibe gained 5lbs, amazing right, but now my lower back hurts.

Can't be perfect I guess.

Praying you get some much needed sleep tonight 😴!

Ns

[Co...]

Yes, I took oral prednisone and prednisolone for 3 weeks and I had a one week taper and I had inner tension, uneasiness, tinnitus, hyperacusis, sleep issues, emotional dysregulation, impulsivity, suggestibility, vomiting, I had to pee non stop, I had sugar cravings, I was yelling constantly things like "I cannot sleep" "I cannot live like this", I had no control over my body or behaviour, ocd, anxiety, all those things. All from prednisone. I mean I am insanely sensitive so not to scare you, just it CAN HAPPEN. 

Edited by [Co...]

[Bu...]

@[ns...], No, I've been off.  Actually, for years. it's just that when I was taking them, it was also when I did a very fast taper of clonezepam the first time.  Then followed to instances of kindling.  All of this happened in a roughly 18 month period.  The onset of my insomnia was right before I started tapering the steroids.  My doctor was unclear if the steroids were playing a role (I doubt she knew) but it was ridiculous that I was still on them anyway.  

Sorry, I imagine this sounds very confusing.  It confuses me too.

[Bu...]

@[Co...],

That is awful!  I am so sorry.

I took a low dose for 3 years total.  Yep, you read that right, 3 years.  18 months on at the prescribed dose and then 18 months of tapering.  Sigh.  What a mess.

[ns...]
2 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

@[ns...], No, I've been off.  Actually, for years. it's just that when I was taking them, it was also when I did a very fast taper of clonezepam the first time.  Then followed to instances of kindling.  All of this happened in a roughly 18 month period.  The onset of my insomnia was right before I started tapering the steroids.  My doctor was unclear if the steroids were playing a role (I doubt she knew) but it was ridiculous that I was still on them anyway.  

Sorry, I imagine this sounds very confusing.  It confuses me too.

No

its not Confusing, I get it. You've off benzos and steroids for a while now.

Hard to imagine the steroids would cause insomnia after so long ago. Benzos though, I would imagine they are probably the cause.

There must be something that can help you get your sleep pattern back. I'm sure you've asked a doctor but what about PT, so your so tired you don't have a choice? But I'm sure you've tried everything by now. I know dark chocolate makes me so tired, it's the opposite I guess but maybe a sweet treat might help, just a little square before bedtime uh?

[Co...]

Pfoe, I hate meds. The only thing I ever took was paracetamol. And now a cascade of meds over nothing lol. Should have never left an ENTs office for clogged ears with cortisone and antihistamines. Did not make any sense. Should have listened to my body and never taken a benzo for no reason. Ach.

• Like 1

[ns...]
1 minute ago, [[n...] said:

No

its not Confusing, I get it. You've off benzos and steroids for a while now.

Hard to imagine the steroids would cause insomnia after so long ago. Benzos though, I would imagine they are probably the cause.

There must be something that can help you get your sleep pattern back. I'm sure you've asked a doctor but what about PT, so your so tired you don't have a choice? But I'm sure you've tried everything by now. I know dark chocolate makes me so tired, it's the opposite I guess but maybe a sweet treat might help, just a little square before bedtime uh?

Hubby and I have a regular bedtime every night now and I think finally it's working. Takes me awhile to get to sleep but I eventually get there now. Asking God to.help me fall asleep, I start yawning and eventually I'm out. The dark chocolate isn't complicating my withdrawal I don't think anyway,  but i think it's definitely helping with my mood and sleep. 

We shall see 👀 

• Like 1

[Pa...]

@[Bu...]Steroids hit GABA. There was a post on February 29 called “Cortisone shot” that I replied to and I’m copying my reply here:

Cortisone modulates GABA A receptors, reducing availability of GABA.  I wouldn’t risk it. 

Here is article re prednisone/gaba interaction:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12171578/

I think it’s possible that steroids caused me significant problems post withdrawal from Ambien. Which, then caused me to end up on Klonopin. You can look at my profile to see my history. Between 2012 and 2013 I was off and on low-dose steroids for auto immune issues. 

I I am still tapering so I’m in a different situation than you. It looks like you’re having difficulty sleeping. I’m so sorry to hear that. It’s tough to not sleep. I’ve been doing earthing (feet in the grass for 20 to 30 minutes a day) and it helps. There’s some good science behind it and it doesn’t involve any drugs. Wishing you better nights of sleep ahead.

p

Edited by [Pa...]
  • Like 1

[em...]

Both oral steroids and benzodiazepines can have significant effects on the body, and their prolonged use may lead to various health considerations and potential interactions. Long-term use of oral steroids, for example, can have systemic effects on multiple organ systems, and abrupt discontinuation without proper medical supervision can result in withdrawal symptoms or other complications