Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Klonopin Taper Suggestion (Stuck at .50 MG)

[kl...]

2 hours ago, [[F...] said:

Hi, @[kl...],

I have no doubt you are struggling and am sorry we have to go through this; however, based on our last discussion (attached thread), I believe we determined you were “stable” and “functioning”.  Not to minimize your suffering, but being able to work 40 hours per week actually would be considered to be “high functioning” around here.  

I believe you have been holding for 3 months now, so I personally would not recommend updosing as you would have to come back down and no guarantee it would help you.  Although suffering, I would consider you to be “functional”.

I would recommend following @[je...] and @[he...]’s “next step” discussion on attached thread.  Reading around here in a panic doesn’t help (I know from experience).  This is not an easy process, however, if you establish a slow and steady taper plan from here, I doubt you experience anything worse than you already have (possibly improve), will be able to remain “functional”, and succeed in your quest to discontinue your benzodiazepine! 

@[Fa...] Thank you so much for pointing to this thread. We are doing so many things behind the scenes related to the upgrade, I have difficulty keeping track of all the different threads. @[kl...] I have merged your two threads so we have everything in one place. It's so much easier to keep track of your history and prior discussions when there's only thread.

2 hours ago, [[k...] said:

@[je...]I updated that section so it should be readable. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

@[kl...] What has changed symptom wise from our last discussion we had around the weekend to now?

@[je...]the pain my pain has almost became unbearable. My cold went away but my pain is really bad in my back, chest and neck. I’ve had some pain throughout this but not to this level. I don’t know if it was from the virus itself or the cold medicine I used. Just not sure. I wonder if anybody ever uses pain meds to help get through withdrawal. I wouldn’t want to start another dependence but want to figure out how to keep it bearable. 

I also am just having extreme fatigue especially in the mornings. I can’t get up and get going. 

@klgates-I am sorry to hear about your pain and fatigue. I am also at 0.5 of klonopin and have that severe morning fatigue in which it seems impossible to get out of bed. I also just don't feel good in general.

I hope that your pain lets up soon and we can both get started again.

1 hour ago, [[k...] said:

I don’t know if it was from the virus itself or the cold medicine I used. Just not sure. I wonder if anybody ever uses pain meds to help get through withdrawal. I wouldn’t want to start another dependence but want to figure out how to keep it bearable.

What cold medicine did you use?

I have used ibuprofen and acetaminophen with no problems. They have been lifesavers, although the ibuprofen is sometimes not enough to stop the headaches. They often just stop when they please. Such is benzo injury...

Just note, the Benzodiazepine Information Coalition (BIC) says this about guaifenesin:

Guaifenesin/Mucinex
Guaifenesin is a centrally acting skeletal muscle relaxant and produces effects similar to the benzodiazepines by binding to specific inhibitory neurotransmitter receptor sites in the brain and spinal cord that are activated by GABA.

I'd use caution with it. And obviously watch out for anything with pseudoephedrine.

@[he...]oh great so that could explain the intense pain I’m experiencing in my back and spine. What do people do to get through these medication setbacks?

Does taking something like a mucinex mess up healing? I guess I need to figure out what to take if I get a sinus infection again in the future.

@[kl...] No, I would not worry about Mucinex messing up your healing.  However, I'm sure having a cold/sinus infection, in addition to taking Mucinex, certainly hasn't helped you feel any better as of recent.  Let's not worry about the next sinus infection/cold for now, as you may not get one and it will not help you calm your nervous system worrying about what to take next time.  Cross that bridge when/if you get there.

I would recommend trying your best to keep pushing yourself to continue to work as you and @[Ko...]outlined.  I would also recommend you try your best to do whatever you can to relax and take care of yourself (ie. meditate, eat well, exercise as you are able).  

Lastly, I would recommend you not search around on this website for a bit to help calm your system down.  I feel you holding for a bit longer and getting yourself in the right mindset to continue your taper is your next step.  Then as @[je...] and @[he...] outlined earlier in the thread, you can figure out what the next step in your taper looks like.  You got this!

Thank you @[Fa...]unfortunately I am locked into this site. It’s almost become an addiction or problem solving machine for me. How do you monitor your time on here? Did you have to battle with not getting on so much? It’s the only place I feel understood right now. I am strongly considering doing some NAD+ infusions to see if they help me stabilize. I have read lots of success on here about the infusions. Have you talked with anyone who has had them? I was thinking of trying the equalizer.

Here is a link about them:

https://kenstarrmd.com/nad-for-benzodiazepine-withdrawal/

It's very possible your cold plus anxiety has caused an uptick in symptoms. I think at this stage you can rule out your big cuts after three months. Your body has had time to stabilize and it sounds like it did just that. Any increase in symptoms now is highly unlikely attributed to your cuts three months ago. And please don't underestimate the impact anxiety and stress can have on your symptoms. 

Since you're recovering from a cold I agree with @[Fa...] to hold for now. I know when we're struggling we want to do something about it and it feels wrong not to do anything to alleviate the pain. But in withdrawal we often just have to wait it out.

@[kl...] I still get on more than I need to, however, I am now not looking for something else to change/add to make me feel better.  I have come to grips and am accepting that time and God are the only healers.  

Taking care of one’s self via stress reduction, meditation, good diet, hydration and exercise are the only things that seem to be of help to me.  Every supplement and adjunct I’ve tried/added have neither helped, nor hurt me.  I hope the riskiest of which (mirtazapine) I am able to taper uneventfully.  Acceptance of my situation and fear are my daily obstacles that I have to surrender.  I thank God for what sleep I get in the morning.

I’ve only personally spoken to @hearsaybenz via PM who crash landed using NAD+.  It did not work for him, and I do not plan to use it.  If you do try it, I wish you the best, and please let us know how it goes.  It is helpful for members to see others experiences, both good and bad.

@[kl...] It looks like we've both had a sinus infection.  Sorry!  I feel your pain.  I've been taking a some Mucinex.  I had never taken andrographis before this, but it helps with sinus infection and upper respiratory issues.  I'm feeling much better today.  Gosh, I hope you get feeling better soon.

It's good to know what medications, herbs, supplements, etc. have an effect on GABA(a) receptors, but just because they have some kind of effect, doesn't mean you have to avoid them completely. It's likely the guaifenesin did nothing, but is good to use caution with anything like that.

21 hours ago, [[F...] said:

Lastly, I would recommend you not search around on this website for a bit to help calm your system down.

Totally agree with this. The best way to get worked up and rev your symptoms is to spend time on Benzo Buddies scaring yourself. It's a wonderful site for support and information, but do not sit here for hours.

Just wanted to ask again because you mentioned somewhere earlier, when did you switch from Accord to Teva. Did symptom increase begin around that time? The reason I mention it is don't discount the importance of a generic switch in possible worsening of symptoms. It doesn't do it to everyone, but it did to me and in a horrific way. I switched in June and have gotten infinitely worse, and just now was able to find some Accord to switch back to to try to stabilize. Hoping more is manufactured in the near future as it's on backorder. Just a thought to consider.

11 hours ago, [[m...] said:

Just wanted to ask again because you mentioned somewhere earlier, when did you switch from Accord to Teva. Did symptom increase begin around that time? The reason I mention it is don't discount the importance of a generic switch in possible worsening of symptoms. It doesn't do it to everyone, but it did to me and in a horrific way. I switched in June and have gotten infinitely worse, and just now was able to find some Accord to switch back to to try to stabilize. Hoping more is manufactured in the near future as it's on backorder. Just a thought to consider.

@[mi...]its been at least three months on Teva and think that is when my symptoms increased quite a bit. It’s wild to think different manufacturers can have such an effect. I have always had Accord as my preferred and always thought that was in my head that others didn’t work the same. Good to know others had the same experience.

@[kl...] I had changed absolutely nothing except my generic two months ago and i went from totally fine and happy to complete spiral and increase of every symptom plus a ton of new ones. Severe gut pain, SI, paranoia, aka, depression, panic, anxiety, you name it i have it. I've coached, was working at a school, fun dad driving my kids to everything, even while I tapered. Don't get me wrong it wasn't perfect but I was 80% and I was fine with that and loved my life. Then a week after Teva it all disappeared. I finally sourced some Accord that will last me until next June through a local pharmacy, and I've been back on it for 4 days. I still feel like crap a lot, but ive been told by my wife and lots who know me that i already seem way different in a good way. I'm assuming it will slowly turn around over the coming weeks and my wife said not to expect too much too soon so I don't get disappointed. If your body doesn't agree with your generic, then it doesn't matter what else you do. I tried waiting for 2 months for it to stabilize but it got worse. Might want to consider finding a local pharmacy who can order another brand or generic for you. Accord is at least 4-5 months from coming back to the market if not more based on a phone call I had with an Accord rep this morning. There's brand name K, Solco, and Advagen that I know if that are available for now. Just a thought for you to consider.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am needing some advice. I have suffered from going too fast before. I went from 2 MG of Klonopin down to .50 MG with .25 and .50 MG cuts and holds. The last cut being from 1 MG down to .50 MG. That was back in April and let’s just say it hurt quite a bit leaving me stuck at .50 MG. I’ve wondered if I should updose as I was stable all the way down until I made what now I’ve learned was a 10 MG of Valium equivalent cut.

Has anyone held at a lower dose and stabilized to begin their taper again? I feel like I’m sitting here stagnant and actually am getting worse the longer I hold at this dose. I’m working the curable app for my pain and unfortunately had to add Trazadone for sleep after my last big cut. 

I just feel so confused because I’m not stabilizing here and wonder if continuing to the finish line very slow is the better way to go or going up and trying to stabilize and doing a proper taper? Thank you anyone for your feedback. I know I had some replies a while back but really could use some more advice. My psychiatrist is willing to do whatever as she doesn’t want to see me suffer but I just don’t know if that is at all possible and am open to any suggestions.

You've been holding for several months now after the last big cut and I don't think the symptoms are related to the reduction anymore. I think you can start cutting again. If you're not feeling an improvement in symptoms while holding, I think trying to make a small reduction would be the best way to proceed. 

Thanks @[je...]so just confirming my symptoms you don’t believe are related to my cut although they have hung around since I cut? At what point do I call what I essentially did a mini cold Turkey not realizing the clonazepan potency? I think that big of a cut just hurt a little to much. So just confirming this may not be benzo related at all? Insomnia, pain, and extreme fatigue? I am confused when you say it’s not taper related. I never experienced this for the 18 years I was on the clonazepan and it all hit when I went from 1 Mg to .50 Mg.