Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Seritonin Sydrome

[ap...]

Im not sure if anyone posted this but its a scary reality that needs to talked about more.

last year I was taking two Benadryl capsules; 50mg total to help me sleep a little.

I woke up hourly and took two more and did this over night for about 10 capsules total.

I woke up and my pupils were as big as my eyes and i was confused and very agitated.

I was recovering from a surgery and thought something went wrong.

Because of how I felt I took a couple of Klonopin pills- I read up on the comp and should have went ER.

But it said the solution is giving benzos to counteract it so I took some cautiously and eventually it went away.

When they give us SSRIs to help wean off Benzos sometimes it is the worst thing possible and hard to know what is doing what.

Seritonin is in Benedryl and all kinds of supplements and food etc..

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/serotonin-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20354758

Thanks for highlighting the dangers of so called benign over the counter medications.  I read recently a 14 year old boy died from doing one of those ridiculous challenges, he took 12-14 tablets in an effort to induce hallucinations.

Thanks for highlighting the dangers of so called benign over the counter medications.  I read recently a 14 year old boy died from doing one of those ridiculous challenges, he took 12-14 tablets in an effort to induce hallucinations.

I saw that- It was a Tik Tok challenge or something.

WHat is so needed is for major warnings on these"benign" looking  OTC drugs- Benadryl and the active ingredient have tons of copycats now- The bottles are 6-7 dollars for 100-200, When I read about that teen death I expected to read that he took a whole bottle. But it was 0nly 14. It I met with a new psychiatrist yesterday...She actually set my appointment up for her last one of the day and spent almost 3 hours with me.

I had studied mental patient rights deeply before as I wasn't sure what to expect.

Ill try to keep this short for now as with so many others we have years of experiences with Benzodiazepines' some horrific.

I basically have been on Klonopin 1mg TiD Since 1989 and the 2 years before was prescribed 20 mg Restoril in morning and noon and 15 Xanax Tid as it help with agitation.

Not to scare anyone but, before we got on to the Klonopin she said that 3decades at this amount is the most and longest she knows about from any of her patients. She was/is knowledgeable and also accepted my input as we the patients or victims know what the reality feels like going through withdrawal.

I innocently accepted the prescriptions and I dont blame most of the Doctors i've had as she even put the blame on themselves. Many good Doctors truly dont know the realities of what they prescribe.

Im 60 and she is 35-40 and has a whole refreshing outlook at societies' med issues and the problems they caused.

Since I had underlying problems beforehand some concussions big time and EBV and Lyme disease all untreated she said my brain cannot handle not having in my system- I totally agree and cam to that conclusion years ago but now I finally have a Doctor who really is in the right field and she said she promised she will never even think of making changes- Even if I decided to water titrate a little she said only if we discuss it deeply and she sees me constantly as that is the only way to understand what is really going on is by what we say. Even if I wanted to go down 1mg she said that could take up to 5 years. I agreed.

Also- I have signs of Pre-dementia and changing the dose would be more miserable but if in the future I have certain symptoms we might try something different- She promised to keep me on brand name as long as its possible. She was horrified at a few stories but willing to take it in and she is very  proactive.

A recent Doctor took away the Klonopin because I had a very extensive third Cervical rebuild and there are pain meds involved. I told them before hand about the surgery and because I still have good movement they didn't believe me. The Neurosurgeon had no issues with needed pain meds and after three nights I came home and the Doctor only gave me three days worth instead of a week and this Doctor knows that can kill us- that led to me getting this new doctor. Mental rights say its actually a "crime" to with hod meds that kill or harm a patient- I decided to let it go because this transition' She said if a person needs Pin meds they need it- She is will if that ever comes up to work with me surgeon etc, with meds to just make sure to much is not being.

administered.

Im not going into much more right now as we all know whatever- its a crazy Journey.

I want to give advice how i could and hopeful advocate for others one day.

She said this is the only class of drug basically with no guidelines to truly withdrawal. I think that will change sometime soon!!

Ive been on everything it seems mixed in or whatever at some time or another.

Sleeping or the inability to sleep in the #1 thing that drivers me crazy and my brain lost that part of the brain it seems-

There is a common issue i see with a lot of people struggles on her and Id like to address that when i find a spot.

Its something i saw in a 1987 Drug reference book as a warning and now its playing itself out- The warning was not about the Benzos but the SSRI's Prozac being the main one at that time.

May you all succeed!! My is only my path and dont get the negative from it. Im alive and thats huge!! messed his organs up.

The warning is in small print

I was visiting a broth in Australia 2 years ago or so - I live up in the states. He had a bad ear ache and we went to the Chemist

(pharmarmy) A type of Nurse was there and asked about what he's looking for- She asked about the symptoms and advised it best to go doctor first

(its free with their care) Doctor took a look and mentioned an OTC product- We went back and she went over ALL the side effects and how to use etc..

We are SO SO behind here in the states