Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

PSSD Reversal. Post SSRI Sexual Dysfunction RECOVERY complete.

[Ma...]

Hello Friends,

I have joined benzobuddies recently. My symptom is complete loss of libido due to short term use of benzodiazepines. I am suffering since eleven months and there is no progress.

Anyway, while I was searching for people with the symptoms like me, I came across with the posts of PSSD - post SSRI sexual dysfunction. I have had this before. And I was completely recovered from this in past.

I was on 'Sertraline' (SSRI) back then. I used it for 2 years on and off, but I was using it for at least 6 months continuously, just before quitting. I noticed severe (about 80 to 90%) libido loss suddenly. It all happened within a week. I stopped SSRI immediately and searched internet. And I realized what was going on. My doctor had never warned me about this side effect. When I told my doctor, he was in denial. He did not recognized my problem. I was suffering for three months. I searched a lot on internet and came across two medicines.

BUSPIRONE and PRAMIPEXOLE

I convinced my doctor to prescribe them. I used them for 15 to 30 days as far as I remember. . And it was reversed. Believe me. Completely reversed. Everything became normal after that.

I decided never to use SSRI again. In fact that was the sole reason I asked my doctor to prescribe anything but SSRI. And he prescribed benzodiazepines. and I was in the same rabbit hole again. I am suffering a lot and I can understand the pain of people losing their libido. That is why I am writing this post.

For PSSD I had used BUSPIRONE (15 MG DAILY) divided in three doses.

and PRAMIPEXOLE (i dont remember the exact dose, but i guess it was 0.250 mg)

For 15 to 30 days. I guess one should not continue them after recovery.

Buspirone is 5ht1a partial agonist and Pramipexole is dopamine agonist. Both work to balance the serotonin-dopamine proportion, and shift the balance towards dopamine. Which is needed, as SSRI has tilted it towards serotonin. Serotonin is inhibitory and dopamine is  excitatory factor in sexual function.

(this is what I have learnt from my research.)

Remember.

1. This is not a medical advice. I am just sharing my experience. Please do your research first and consult your doctor.

2. My current symptoms are caused by benzodiazepines and not SSRI, though the symptoms are exactly the same.

3. I was using only SSRI at that time and not benzodiazepines.

• 4 weeks later...