Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

Lynn--I think I asked you this before but how long did it take you before you were stable/functional??

Bertie--wgen did you updose, when did you change to liquid-all before your one month hold?  How long did you feel better?  Just a few days or that whole month?  I had the same experience last year--I had crossed from ativan to klonopin and held for a month and felt "better" before I started, but I was still very much non-functional. I wonder if I had held longer I would have been truly stable. Let's see what others here have to say because I'm at day 35-my longest hold since I started tapering a year ago and I'm better, but that's from going from 40% functioning to 60% to some windows of 80-85% so I'm

Holding longer hoping for more. My brain and body have gone through so much with updoses, crossover, too fast tapering without holds, pushing through horrible symptoms, too much stress so I'm finally relinquishing to the idea of holding longer to see if I will have the success of so many I've found here and one gal I know personally.

Liz,

On the larger cuts last year it took a couple of months.  The ones earlier this year took only one week to 3 wks.  The most recent cut has taken longer.  I think the fast cuts in January and February are catching up with me as I still have some troubling sxs at 5wks.  It's mainly tinnitus, neck muscle tightness and the feeling of being strangled, night (and other) sweats and flushing.  I had dizziness that lasted a couple of weeks - this was something new this cut (the amount and persistence).

I had some major stress, that continues, last week and wd sxs ramped back up.  I see this as a sign to hold a little longer.  I have no choice anyway as I have to travel to FL next weekend to help my mother take care of her husband post-surgery.  I can't risk any major issues until I get back home.

It's annoying that it's been implied that I am finding excuses not to cut - this from a protracted BB member.  What the heck is the hurry?  The comment stated that I will face a long road regardless of how I taper and I'm just prolonging the inevitable.  I'd like proof.  Those who jump w/o much issue are not still here on protracted.  And, I've hardly dilly-dallied this year.  1mg to .3125 in 6wks is not fooling around and having no serious intent to get off.

I'll hold as long as I feel like it and I'll get off when I get off.  It's not appropriate to throw these comments around.  Trying to make me feel bad???  Passive/aggressive "help"?

Liz,

On the larger cuts last year it took a couple of months.  The ones earlier this year took only one week to 3 wks.  The most recent cut has taken longer.  I think the fast cuts in January and February are catching up with me as I still have some troubling sxs at 5wks.  It's mainly tinnitus, neck muscle tightness and the feeling of being strangled, night (and other) sweats and flushing.  I had dizziness that lasted a couple of weeks - this was something new this cut (the amount and persistence).

I had some major stress, that continues, last week and wd sxs ramped back up.  I see this as a sign to hold a little longer.  I have no choice anyway as I have to travel to FL next weekend to help my mother take care of her husband post-surgery.  I can't risk any major issues until I get back home.

It's annoying that it's been implied that I am finding excuses not to cut - this from a protracted BB member.  What the heck is the hurry?  The comment stated that I will face a long road regardless of how I taper and I'm just prolonging the inevitable.  I'd like proof.  Those who jump w/o much issue are not still here on protracted.  And, I've hardly dilly-dallied this year.  1mg to .3125 in 6wks is not fooling around and having no serious intent to get off.

I'll hold as long as I feel like it and I'll get off when I get off.  It's not appropriate to throw these comments around.  Trying to make me feel bad???  Passive/aggressive "help"?

That's too bad that holding is seen as bad by many. I mean someone on the protracted board saying to hurry?  Wonder why they're protracted?  There is overwhelming evidence supporting holds. In fact holds are part of the tapering processs. I guess it's a choice of being non functional or living your life. At just over 2 months holding, I still have up and downs. Yesterday was weird like I was on a boat all day, but today I feel great. It's up and down and an enormous amount of patience is needed, but I can see the payoff already and have resolved to hold for a minimum of 3 months. Holding can actually increase the the speed and success of your taper and recovery. I think people forget about the recovery part in a rush to get off. Don't we all want to come off healed and skip acute withdrawal?  :)

I'm amazed that people here can work and travel. To think that's possible!! 

I was in withdrawal for 3 1/2 years--the worst in the first year, after tapering 4 mg of ativan in 7 months and then ending up with horrid akathisia and reinstated on .5 mg klonopin (started tapering the first week so never got stable) and tapered that over five months.

I don't know if I'd still be in protracted if I hadn't teinstated in December 2014 when a benzo ignorant doc gave me a stomach med (one dose) that threw me back in acute for four months before I figured out what was happening.

I've been trying to stabilize for a year since crossing from ativan to klonopin and today is the longest I've held at any time in any taper. Trying to be patient with this and hope a long hold will work because it's my last hope. I was only tapering 1% a month October through February so I don't know how to go any slower in a microtaper besides (hopefully) stBilizing and then holding even when I start up again at 1%. Gloom and doom unfortunately win the battle for my mind most days and I think I'll be the only one it doesn't work for. I would love to prove gloom and doom wrong :)

Liza

Liz,

You've been through a heck of a lot in the past and it's only understandable that your brain needs an extended amount of time to get even to a stable, livable place.  Give it that time.  Forget the calendar.  Take the pressure off yourself.  Relax about any further taper until you feel well, as long as it takes!

I have nowhere near your history and the problems your prior tapers and c/o's would cause.  You shouldn't compare my holds with yours.  Apples and oranges!  I had less damage so it's only natural and expected that I would need shorter holds.

I'm amazed that people here can work and travel. To think that's possible!! 

I was in withdrawal for 3 1/2 years--the worst in the first year, after tapering 4 mg of ativan in 7 months and then ending up with horrid akathisia and reinstated on .5 mg klonopin (started tapering the first week so never got stable) and tapered that over five months.

I don't know if I'd still be in protracted if I hadn't teinstated in December 2014 when a benzo ignorant doc gave me a stomach med (one dose) that threw me back in acute for four months before I figured out what was happening.

I've been trying to stabilize for a year since crossing from ativan to klonopin and today is the longest I've held at any time in any taper. Trying to be patient with this and hope a long hold will work because it's my last hope. I was only tapering 1% a month October through February so I don't know how to go any slower in a microtaper besides (hopefully) stBilizing and then holding even when I start up again at 1%. Gloom and doom unfortunately win the battle for my mind most days and I think I'll be the only one it doesn't work for. I would love to prove gloom and doom wrong :)

Liza

The fact that you have windows at 80% is a good indicator your hold will be successful. The Windows will gradually become longer and then turn into days, but don't rush to reduce until your days are consistently good and you can function. It will be a huuuuge mental victory! It's easy to have negative thoughts when in a wave. I'd be lying if I said I don't get them, but after having several good days, I just try to remember the windows and how they are lasting longer. I get windows in the mornings which I didn't believe I would have through the entire taper. Today is starting off really good so I'm hoping on a full day of a window. Focus on the improvements not the hard days. It's a lot easier when in a positive frame of mind. It will keep you from cutting prematurely out of fear. I spend all my Time on the net looking for the benefits of slow tapers and long holds and don't read anything else. It helps keep your focus on what you're doing and verifies what you are doing. Remember, it took me 6 weeks to have one window and it was like heaven. I know you'll get there. -V

Valley I think I need to send you a check!  Your encouragement (and everyone's here) keeps me going. I Talked to the friend yesterday who led me to this thread and couldn't thank her enough. Hope is so important and I had little hope of healing to hold onto in the bad times. I'm a person who relies very deeply in her faith in God and I truly believe there is a reason for everything --I believe I was led here to find a better way and common sense!  You guys are great!  Thank you.

Liza

Valley I think I need to send you a check!  Your encouragement (and everyone's here) keeps me going. I Talked to the friend yesterday who led me to this thread and couldn't thank her enough. Hope is so important and I had little hope of healing to hold onto in the bad times. I'm a person who relies very deeply in her faith in God and I truly believe there is a reason for everything --I believe I was led here to find a better way and common sense!  You guys are great!  Thank you.

Liza

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Liz,

That's too bad that holding is seen as bad by many. I mean someone on the protracted board saying to hurry?  Wonder why they're protracted?  There is overwhelming evidence supporting holds. In fact holds are part of the tapering processs. I guess it's a choice of being non functional or living your life. At just over 2 months holding, I still have up and downs. Yesterday was weird like I was on a boat all day, but today I feel great. It's up and down and an enormous amount of patience is needed, but I can see the payoff already and have resolved to hold for a minimum of 3 months. Holding can actually increase the the speed and success of your taper and recovery. I think people forget about the recovery part in a rush to get off. Don't we all want to come off healed and skip acute withdrawal?  :)

The other day I was on that same boat, but that is the way it is, but honestly nothing like my other failed tapers, this is just blips and go

away, and I will gladly take this over the other. :thumbsup:

Liz,

The other day I was on that same boat, but that is the way it is, but honestly nothing like my other failed tapers, this is just blips and go

away, and I will gladly take this over the other. :thumbsup:

:)

Question:

Did anyone suffer from a long hold?  Please be honest and post if you have.

Only from not holding long enough.  :)

This just struck me:  Ashton developed her cut and hold protocol in answer to cold turkeying. She also listed the 100 or so withdrawal symptoms someone may experience. She also talked about protracted withdrawal. I understand gets was the first sane method, but now microtapering and longer holds are proving healthier for people. I spoke with Baylissa Johns of "Benzo Wise" fame (she was a CT) in November and she said that now Ashton is advocating for slower but is concerned about people taking 5-6 years to taper. I asked what that was based on and she had no idea

Lynn--I've talked to people who have said "holds don't help me" but I have no idea how long they've held. The only one I know of was holding for a month on her benzo while tapering two other psychotropics so to say that the hold failed is wrong IMHO

Lynn I've also wondered if people found it hard tapering after a long hold, because I've held for a few days and then moved forward and still crashed. Now I'm assuming I didn't hold long enough. I've not seen anyone in this and Nova's thread that has said such a thing

I held for 8 months last year and felt great.  I had no issues when I resumed taper.

I think your thoughts on Ashton are brilliant!  She didn't consider smaller cuts and longer holds or MT.  She didn't test it.

So why are so many pushing Ashton as the gold standard?  They aren't as smart as you are! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This just struck me:  Ashton developed her cut and hold protocol in answer to cold turkeying. She also listed the 100 or so withdrawal symptoms someone may experience. She also talked about protracted withdrawal. I understand gets was the first sane method, but now microtapering and longer holds are proving healthier for people. I spoke with Baylissa Johns of "Benzo Wise" fame (she was a CT) in November and she said that now Ashton is advocating for slower but is concerned about people taking 5-6 years to taper. I asked what that was based on and she had no idea

Lynn--I've talked to people who have said "holds don't help me" but I have no idea how long they've held. The only one I know of was holding for a month on her benzo while tapering two other psychotropics so to say that the hold failed is wrong IMHO

lizagal, that's a very interesting comment you received from Baylissa John`s about Ashton now changing Her tune on the way and speed of tapering ! If you look on this board you constantly see 5-10 % cutting as the Gospel. IMHO it is way to fast for so many, maybe Ashton`s new thinking is due to long term follow ups ? I personally think that some believe that holds do not work because they are getting way ahead of the healing that the down regulated Gaba needs to recover. Very interesting topic I so wish more would do research on this ! ~CD

Maybe one of the brave souls here should start a thread on protracted asking if anyone suffered from a long hold.

Any volunteers????

Not me Lynn. The protracted people, of which I was one--many are suffering from CTs and too fast tapers so I've found those folks aren't too terribly excited to hear about people who figured out how to remain functional during their taper and that there may have been a better option for them.

Maybe one of the brave souls here should start a thread on protracted asking if anyone suffered from a long hold.

Any volunteers????

LOL. Not going there.  :)

Any volunteers????

LOL. Not going there.  :)

Not me, just reading my name Be good is a major turn off, but I know someone brave and strong, with the letter "L" who probably would do well

and I guess it is how it is approached, but honestly I post to threads, and no more posts, that is why I am the Delete Queen of BB. :2funny:

Completely unrelated question--how do you change your settings so that the most recent post in a thread shows up first, not the original one?

Completely unrelated question--how do you change your settings so that the most recent post in a thread shows up first, not the original one?

I can't find anything in the help files that gives any guidance on this.

I suppose I could do it.  I feel pretty invincible today! :D

Would it be useful to us?  I think so.  Can't hurt to hear their experience...but don't want to upset anyone! :-\

[b0...]