The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

I think I'm going to resign  to the fact I am perimenopausal AND going through benzo recovery. So some of what I feel is just part of the natural progression of change with a dash of benzo repair thrown in.... ::)

Hi 300,

Don't feel bad about your updose. Sometimes you have to do something to get out of the misery. You did what you thought best.

No need feeling sorry about it! The past is the past. Concentrate on today. Enjoy every second or minute things are a bit brighter!

Now try to hold until you start to feel more stable. It may take a while but it is going to improve!

Best of luck!

Stay strong!

TS

thanks troch -

has anyone updosed and felt worse or at least not better -- I updosed yesterday and I am hoping it just takes a while -- I can't tell if I feel worse or just more depressed that it hasn't worked and scared that I updosed for nothing

thanks

300- it can take a little bit of time for you to feel stable. It usually isn’t instant relief. Give it a week, I’ll bet you feel better.

I have been reading the posts here and feel pretty safe joining in. Just like so many l am experiencing so many of these nightmare symptoms. I have been going slow with my taper from Klonopin. It has been a slow and almost steady drop. From about l to l and a half mg to 0.055.. 3 yrs ago l found Benzo buddies. Reading success stories which have helped me to keep going on. I have shared very little, afraid of everything even posting but this way of tapering is the only way it has worked for me. A couple of times l went fast and it cost me longer then if l stayed with my slow taper. I drop then hold until l stabilize. 2 months ago l did a normal drop 0.056. It has been me just surviving since then. A nightmare. Morning and night. Worse in am. I found this slow group just a couple days ago and what a relief to read everyone’s posts. I felt so over and scared with what to do next with not being able  to move forward, got some good info on possible crossover, but after reading about these long holds l think this is what l will do. If anyone can share or relate  would appreciate your thoughts.

welcome sunny --

I hope the long hold works for you - it looks like it works for many.  I am struggling too -- just had to updose and was very upset about that but praying I can get some relief from that and a long hold. 

what kind of symptoms do you have?  mine are predominately mental -- depression, rumination, intrusive thoughts, major anxiety, isolating

I have been reading the posts here and feel pretty safe joining in. Just like so many l am experiencing so many of these nightmare symptoms. I have been going slow with my taper from Klonopin. It has been a slow and almost steady drop. From about l to l and a half mg to 0.055.. 3 yrs ago l found Benzo buddies. Reading success stories which have helped me to keep going on. I have shared very little, afraid of everything even posting but this way of tapering is the only way it has worked for me. A couple of times l went fast and it cost me longer then if l stayed with my slow taper. I drop then hold until l stabilize. 2 months ago l did a normal drop 0.056. It has been me just surviving since then. A nightmare. Morning and night. Worse in am. I found this slow group just a couple days ago and what a relief to read everyone’s posts. I felt so over and scared with what to do next with not being able  to move forward, got some good info on possible crossover, but after reading about these long holds l think this is what l will do. If anyone can share or relate  would appreciate your thoughts.

What I have observed and experienced myself seems to point to signs that as we cut our bodies at some point hit a wall where they need to adjust to the new low dosage. When you think of it, there is a certain logic to it. People often say how at lower doses they have to go slower or that the cuts are harder with more w/d. Well it's not the lower doses so much as the difference between what you started at and what you are at now. The body is trying to work on less with literally no time to adjust to it.

My own experience with this is that in 2017 I stopped tapering after years of tapering very slowly down from 3.5 mg k. I stopped at .5 mg having hit burnout and considering myself done with all tapering. In the months that followed I noticed some nice improvement. Within probably six months of less I really began to feel much more normal again. I returned to tapering this last year in nov 2020. I have been micro tapering liquid titration, and had zero issues other than some super faint tinnitus a few months back. But now, closing in on a year later and close to having halved my dose, I am noticing more w/d sx. I planned on doing only one round of what I call short term tapering (though to others probably not) of about a year to cut my dose in half. I hadn't been going fast at all. So my hypothesis is that at a certain point our bodies need a time out to acclimate to the new lower dose we are taking. My experience is that the time I took off from the taper helped me a lot. Not that I recommend years off to people, but time outs might be helpful to those doing prolonged tapers or finding themselves struggling a lot at lower doses due to having cut so much of it already. Something to consider anyway.

I did find that this time I was able to taper faster but a few percent a month with no issues and this taper again had been cake up until last month.

Maybe you are experiencing something like this? Where your body is trying to adjust to the new low dose but as you taper it is trying to adjust to a new low dose while also having more cuts made and so it is struggling more than before.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. It makes some sense and it also was encouraging to hear how you came around after giving yourself some time. Also it was good to hear when you started up again how the tapers were easier up until a little while ago. I was very sad when l hit this wall. I thought the k. Would finally be out of my system by this fall and that healing would start to take place. All the symptoms got crazier suddenly,intrusive thoughts, no sleep, tinnitus, agitation etc, extreme so l thought can’t do this. But now after reading time outs like yours and others l can give myself time also for more healing before l taper again. The truth is that a lot of healing has taken place over the time it’s taken to get this far. My digestion and weight for example is good. I had lost 30 lbs not being able to digest food and liquid properly. Now l can eat and my weight is normal again other things are better also. Thanks again Unknown Origin. I wish you a lot of luck. Take care, Sunny

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. It makes some sense and it also was encouraging to hear how you came around after giving yourself some time. Also it was good to hear when you started up again how the tapers were easier up until a little while ago. I was very sad when l hit this wall. I thought the k. Would finally be out of my system by this fall and that healing would start to take place. All the symptoms got crazier suddenly,intrusive thoughts, no sleep, tinnitus, agitation etc, extreme so l thought can’t do this. But now after reading time outs like yours and others l can give myself time also for more healing before l taper again. The truth is that a lot of healing has taken place over the time it’s taken to get this far. My digestion and weight for example is good. I had lost 30 lbs not being able to digest food and liquid properly. Now l can eat and my weight is normal again other things are better also. Thanks again Unknown Origin. I wish you a lot of luck. Take care, Sunny

I think time outs and long holds are good. Mine did me a world of good. This taper has been super easy right up until last month which frankly even that had more to do with them changing my brand of tegretol which does interact with K. Last time I tapered such a change really threw me for a loop in my taper right when I was at a good stabilizing point. But the long hold (which was never even intended as a hold but more of a stop at the point .5 ended up getting me back to normal. I did have the vibrations on and off occasionally over the years but nothing in comparison to what I survived during the taper.

Many years ago in this forum it was hard to find people who were doing long holds and rather slow tapers. The resounding attitude that was prevalent was keep going and get off or you will have a bazillion more problems. That put so much fear in people that I think far too many went faster than the could or should and never too time to let their bodies adjust. This wasn't from the admins or moderators but from a lot of fearful and close minded tapering suffering folks. Led to more than a few IIRC people jumping too soon or doing borderline CTs from higher than recommended doses. I left then and only came back last year to peak in and see how it was here. It's practically dead now here but there seems to be a whole lot more reasonableness and open mindedness about how people need to handle their tapers in ways that work for them rather than a resounding get off as fast and don't dilly dally or you will suffer for it. Again, never from the mods or admins. Always from small pockets of know it alls or fearmongering folks who were well intentioned but didn't really help people who needed to take it slow for whatever reason.

If you feel you need a time out, then you probably know what is best for you. Give your body the rest you think it needs if that's what you feel is right for you. After my experiences with tapering I now plan to just keep coming back and cutting my dose in half. For me, it will take years due to my pace and my unwillingness to lose any quality of life. But I figure I will heal along the way and have a mostly normal life so who cares how long it takes. this round of cutting my dose in half from .5 to .25mg took just under a year. But it was a year where I tapered faster than before and up until a month ago (maybe 7-8 months into my taper) I had literally no suffering during my taper. In fact, I repainted nearly my entire home interior (several rooms), worked part time, and did major yard renovations of ripping out old shrubs and planting new stuff. I could have never done that before.

sunny and unknown,

thank you for writing about this.  I, too, have been very scared --- went from 1.5 of Xanax to .65 in about 11 months and was doing fine - made some major changes to supplements I was on (off all now) and I think they had been masking my withdrawal and hit a major wall.  I ended up having to updose to 1mg (which was disheartening) but praying I can gain some stability by using a long hold.  almost all of my "hitting a wall' symptoms have been mental -- depression, apathy, agitation, intrusive thoughts, etc -- so I am praying that some of those resolve over time.  I felt that going from 1.5 to .65 in a year was a very slow taper but I have had others tell me -- not necessarily at all - and that the cuts as well as the changes in the supplements may have really caught up to me.  I'm trying to be patient.  Unknown, did you also have mental symptoms?  about how long after holding did you begin to see a real shift.  it has been only five days since my updose and hold so I am early on in it. sunny, it looks like you are also struggling with the mental symptoms....

thanks so much

Hi there everyone. I had a question I hope someone can tell me some advice  :'(

I’m on day 29 of my cycle and today I had an incident where my heart rate (normal 70-80 resting) went up to 130-140 then eventually will go to 170 + or so when I get surprised or shocked suddenly or hurt by someone. It will last about 8-20 minutes. I take Himalayan salt and it will calm down but it’s scary.

This is usually around day 15 / 23 or 29 when I have these easily triggered incidences. I’m

Hoping it’s hormonal from benzo withdrawal . I never had this before K at all.

I’m 5 months off was thinking this would go away..I always feel worse during pms. Slowly gotten better and I notice after the events of the racing I burp a lot?? And sometimes. I feel like I have trapped gas during if I can burp it will usually calm down then too its so strange  :'(

300 days, thanks for the welcome. I also felt really discouraged when l recently hit a wall and couldn’t seem to come down a hair without terrible symptoms. Yes the mental ones you mentioned,intrusive thoughts, agoraphobia,so scared an insecure, dizzy, insomnia,derealization etc, etc. now l have some peace with holding. First  l don’t have much choice because of severity of sx.also it seems like the more gentle thing to do for my brain. Take care 300 days,hope to hear from you again.

Unknown Origin, that is amazing that your taper seemed so much easier and that you were able to get so much done. Almost every time l have dropped the smallest amount all the symptoms get loud again then it takes some days before it stabilizes. Then would cut again so it was a suprise to come to this halt. I am going to let my mind and body catch up so thanks for the inspiration.

Gstc: Any chemical changes (hormones...) challenge our nervous system in benzo recovery. For some they feel back in acute for awhile, for others it jacks up other symptoms - sounds like yours is your heart rate, and GI symptoms. Sorry girl.

I'v read a lot on here and also from my experience, the body will find balance again. My cycles have gotten waaaaay better ( used to feel acute and psychotic with my cycle...). Now I just have heavy bleeding and fatigue. Even the mind blowing cramps have dialed way down.  Sadly I think the heavy bleeding is here to stay, but it only lasts 3 days (I'm 45 so...hello perimenopause???).

I hope age is on your side lol.

In short, it gets better. Time...it takes time. :smitten:

Gstc: Any chemical changes (hormones...) challenge our nervous system in benzo recovery. For some they feel back in acute for awhile, for others it jacks up other symptoms - sounds like yours is your heart rate, and GI symptoms. Sorry girl.

I'v bread a lot on here and also from my experience, the body will find balance again. My cycles have gotten waaaaay better ( used to feel acute and psychotic with my cycle...). Now I just have heavy bleeding and fatigue. Even the mind blowing cramps have dialed way down.  Sadly I think the heavy bleeding is here to stay, but it only lasts 3 days (I'm 45 so...hello perimenopause???).

I hope age is on your side lol.

In short, it gets better. Time...it takes time. :smitten:

Thank you for responding Trina. It’s really something I wish would get better soon. It definitely seems gi related but also confusing I just got stressed and it tried to act up again. Immediately got some sea salt and went back down.. I wish my period would start just got loads of painful cramps now.

I’m 31 now and hope to get better soon so I can have kids at some point  :-\

My last pms was all impending doom episodes and boatinese /derealization now it’s I’m not sure what to call this honestly  :idiot:

Have you seen anyone say their heart rate raises suddenly like that? I feel like a broken record sorry

Hello Long Holders

Just thought I would pop on and let you know my experiences. I’ve been reading a few of the posts and totally agree with Unknownorigin.

I too have been on benzo buddies for a long time I think since 2013 and also experienced the race to get off these medications. I also take massive breaks from here as I don’t want to get into the fear or negative stuff that can sometimes show up. I only come back to read and on occasion reply if I feel and I can help.

I am currently on 2.5mg v which I have been holding at since early 2020, letting my body and brain acclimate has made a huge difference to my wellness. I am currently titrating the 2.5mg in 150ml water ( I’m being lazy with math now) and my plan is to drink this suspension for at least 2 months giving brain/body time to get used to the change from pill to liquid.

Then I will slowly decrease 1ml every 3 days, as I said I’m in no hurry, stopping if need be according to symptoms that I may experience.

Just know that it can be done, but always do it your way, you know what works for you and Never feel guilty or beat yourself up for having to updose (we’ve all had to do that or rescue dose).

Cheers

Gypsygal  :smitten:

Hello Long Holders

Just thought I would pop on and let you know my experiences. I’ve been reading a few of the posts and totally agree with Unknownorigin.

I too have been on benzo buddies for a long time I think since 2013 and also experienced the race to get off these medications. I also take massive breaks from here as I don’t want to get into the fear or negative stuff that can sometimes show up. I only come back to read and on occasion reply if I feel and I can help.

I am currently on 2.5mg v which I have been holding at since early 2020, letting my body and brain acclimate has made a huge difference to my wellness. I am currently titrating the 2.5mg in 150ml water ( I’m being lazy with math now) and my plan is to drink this suspension for at least 2 months giving brain/body time to get used to the change from pill to liquid.

Then I will slowly decrease 1ml every 3 days, as I said I’m in no hurry, stopping if need be according to symptoms that I may experience.

Just know that it can be done, but always do it your way, you know what works for you and Never feel guilty or beat yourself up for having to updose (we’ve all had to do that or rescue dose).

Cheers

Thank you so much for your post in is encouraging. May I ask how long you were tapering before the hold and what symptoms have improved with the hold?

Hello Long Holders

Cheers

Thank you so much for your post in is encouraging. May I ask how long you were tapering before the hold and what symptoms have improved with the hold?

Hi Jlavogt

Omg I have done so many tapers over the year my last one I tapered off 1mg of v so from 3.5mg to 2.5mg did that back in December of 2019 and I did that over 50 days.

It took quite a long time to feel the effects of the cut probably about 12 weeks I had anxiety, aches, pains and breathing issues but eventually they subsided and I’ve been holding ever since.

All effects have gradually subsided.

Cheers

Hello Long Holders

Cheers

Hi Jlavogt

Omg I have done so many tapers over the year my last one I tapered off 1mg of v so from 3.5mg to 2.5mg did that back in December of 2019 and I did that over 50 days.

It took quite a long time to feel the effects of the cut probably about 12 weeks I had anxiety, aches, pains and breathing issues but eventually they subsided and I’ve been holding ever since.

Cheers

Oh ok so you do cut and hold and have been holding a long time since your last cut. I wonder how this would work for someone who has been daily micro tapering for years. I hat hit a wall at 2mg. It got rough at 3mg and I probably had no business moving past there.

I am a huge advocate for holding!!  I am in my last week of taper from .50 mg Xanax.  It has taken 26 months.  I have healed as I got lower and lower! 

Hang in there long haulers, healing is happening for each of you!!  It’s a long road, today you are one day closer to freedom!

Congrats Sea Salt- May I ask at what point during your taper did you hold and for how long? Happy to hear things are better for you. Are you still experiencing everything that is at the bottom of your signature?

Can anyone come up with a reason why you start to feel worse when holding? I get this horrible toxic poisoned feeling when I hold for more than a week but I am finding I am becoming much worse as I go down and fear what will happen if I continue like this.

Hello Long Holders

Cheers

Hi Jlavogt

Cheers

Oh ok so you do cut and hold and have been holding a long time since your last cut. I wonder how this would work for someone who has been daily micro tapering for years. I hat hit a wall at 2mg. It got rough at 3mg and I probably had no business moving past there.

Jlavogt

Yes I do cut and hold however when I cut I actually do daily micro tapering for all my cuts I titrate my pill in liquid then take out 1ml per day for however many days that I am doing., my last I did 1mg over a 50 day period, then I have a long hold so my brain and body can catch up.

I like doing it this way as it is much gentler on the whole system more like going down a ramp than bumping down the stairs a lot smoother.

Gypsy

Hello Long Holders

Cheers

Hi Jlavogt

Cheers

Jlavogt

Yes I do cut and hold however when I cut I actually do daily micro tapering for all my cuts I titrate my pill in liquid then take out 1ml per day for however many days that I am doing., my last I did 1mg over a 50 day period, then I have a long hold so my brain and body can catch up.

I like doing it this way as it is much gentler on the whole system more like going down a ramp than bumping down the stairs a lot smoother.

Gypsy

Makes sense… sounds like a really great plan. What I wouldn’t give to have done something like that from the beginning. I was already so si k when I started my taper and thought Injust need to get this meds out of me but there was definite periods around 6mg and 3 mg that my body needed a break and I pushed through. Now at 2mg I have so many of the worst symptoms coming back and holding gives me this toxic sick feeling so I just feel stuck.

Hello Long Holders

Cheers

Hi Jlavogt

Cheers

Jlavogt

Gypsy

Makes sense… sounds like a really great plan. What I wouldn’t give to have done something like that from the beginning. I was already so si k when I started my taper and thought Injust need to get this meds out of me but there was definite periods around 6mg and 3 mg that my body needed a break and I pushed through. Now at 2mg I have so many of the worst symptoms coming back and holding gives me this toxic sick feeling so I just feel stuck.

Jlavogt

Don’t be too hard on yourself, when I first sought out a new dr we didn’t know what we were doing, I crossed from 3 mg of Ativan a day to diazepam 5 mg. We didn’t understand at that stage the equivalencies so I had knocked out about 25 mg in one hit which caused me to have multiple cold turkeys every day for nearly 4 years it was a nightmare. I wish I had of done some more research.

I would be dry retching all day, I was so agoraphobic I didn’t go anywhere just to get in a car was an absolute horror show for me I dreaded it so bad my nervous system was like a train wreck.

As time went on things slowly, very slowly started to get better I then found this forum and a group that was very helpful and supportive that was back in 2013, their knowledge of how the brain heals and how to taper was an absolute godsend.

So I totally understand what you are going through. When I used to do a dry cut it would take 23 weeks before I felt the effects of that cut, that is why I now do the daily liquid micro taper,  it with lomg long holds in between. The most I will do is 1 mg then take a break so my body and brain can catch up.

Hope this helps

Gypsy

[ec...]