Anyone take an antibiotic for SIBO?

[se...]

Lori,

If the doctor tells me I have nothing wrong, I might lose it.  I am also having spasms everywhere off and on, especially my neck and shoulder area.  I have hoarseness off and on like crazy. Over the past few weeks I feel congestion in my chest and my oxygen level has dropped to 96.  No fever, not Covid (took several tests). 

My body seems to be struggling through something.  I sat in the sun for an hour today and broke out in a horrible rash on my face.  Not only am I intolerant to foods, meds but also the sun.

Lori, how are you doing with the antibiotic, do you think it is helping?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [se...]

• [Lo...]

• [op...]

• [Ho...]

Lori,

If the doctor tells me I have nothing wrong, I might lose it.  I am also having spasms everywhere off and on, especially my neck and shoulder area.  I have hoarseness off and on like crazy. Over the past few weeks I feel congestion in my chest and my oxygen level has dropped to 96.  No fever, not Covid (took several tests). 

My body seems to be struggling through something.  I sat in the sun for an hour today and broke out in a horrible rash on my face.  Not only am I intolerant to foods, meds but also the sun.

I would be willing to bet you have Histamine Intolerance like I do. Check into it. You can start by taking an antihistamine everyday. There are specialty doctors for this. Holler if you have questions.

Lori,

Seasalt,

Just an FYI about oxygen sats.  When you get really anxious, your sats will drop. This used to happen to me and I didn't know so I would get concerned.  Mine would easily go down to 96.  When we're anxious, we go into the fight or flight mode and blood gets pulled down to our legs in preparation for flight.  Hence, you're not going to get as much blood and oxygen to the fingers, head, etc.  This is what can also cause the familiar dizziness when we're anxious. 

If you wait until you're laying down and calm, it often goes back up to your normal baseline. 

I tried the muscle relaxer.  It didn't do a single thing - zero relief in my muscles or anywhere - and didn't even make me tired. It was like taking a placebo.  So that's one medication that I won't bother taking again.  I tried two doses (first one was a 1/2 dose second was a full dose) and had zero relief at all.  At the very least I thought it would knock me out since I'm so sensitive to medications.  Nope! 

I'll be thinking of your tomorrow!  What time is your appointment?

Also, I read several article that claim that SIBO can actually cause histamine issues.  What doesn't it affect? 

Hang in there! 

Fondly,

Lori

Lori, just took the miralax about an hour ago.  My face is completely flushed (it looks like a bad sunburn).

I hope all this is from the SIBO and resolves after the antibiotic.  How are you feeling?  Did you complete it???

My appointment is at 7:45, I take the capsule, the hook me up to a recording device and send me home.  I return at 4:00 and they download the pictures.  The doctor will review of the next few days and then call me with results.

Thinking of you Seasalt!  I hope the procedure is going well!  Please keep us posted.  I still have 5 days left on the antibiotic.  So far not much of a change but last night I had a lot of discomfort.  I hope it's die off. 

Again, thinking of you and praying that you get answers by next week! 

L

Lori,

So sorry to hear you are having die off discomfort.  I have heard it is awful! 

Had the capsule today, much larger than it appears on line but I got it down.  On Monday they will review to make sure the capsule made it to the large intestines, if not I will need an X-ray.

Took all the prep and never had one bowel movement.  Doctor said it was ok to proceed and that they were just concerned about moving food out of the small intestines.  I hope they get results.  I now have anxiety about this camera in my gut, I hope it passes this weekend so I can rest.

Thanks everyone for your support.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone..passed the capsule the day after.  It’s been a little over a week and no results yet.  Doctor has to view 5000 pictures.

Lori, did you finish the antibiotic?  Are you feeling like it worked?  I still have the prescription, I have been so nervous to start it.

Met with a Hematologist, having CT scan on Wednesday for my necking swelling and rescan of a lung nodule found two years ago.  My health anxiety is through the roof..

I believe all these symptoms are withdrawal. Im having exactly the same, had scans, blood teasts etc, normal. Ive had IBS for years and withdrawing has probably accenuated that, but the pain and other symptoms are defo withdrawal

I hope you are right and the scans show nothing.  At least I can put my health anxiety back in the “box” for now.

Can I just say how much this sucks!

[33...]

Hey Seasalt:

I’ve been experiencing lots of stomach problems since late last year.

I now have the dreaded benzo belly, which hit out of nowhere???

Before you take the antibiotics, make sure you actually get the test for SIBO.

There is also one for H Pylori too.

Maybe you’ve done all this, I didn’t have the time to read the thread. But I’d be interested in seeing how you make out etc.

I too have only a few foods that I can eat. So annoying, and makes the constipation that I have so worse!!

Take care

Winnie

sorry i haven't been on..  last week I sliced 4 of my fingers on a mandolin!  Ugh!  all bandaged up and tough to type.  another week or two of recovery.

Don't feel like the antibiotic did a ton for sibo but I do feel a little better but i'm also starting to think that it's a combiation of things.  most of which are taper related.  Need more movement/exercise... probably more water.  Taking a heavy duty probiotic now and trying to overall be healthier.  will keep you posted and will tpe more when it no longer looks like a 6 year old is trying to type ,  lol!

Lori

I am so sorry Lori!!!  I think you are probably struggling as you get to these low doses.  Try to rest as much as you can and eat well.  I am still exercise intolerant.  I did just a few light exercises and the next day I thought I would die!  I have come down with a cold/flu and I feel absolutely miserable.

Had the scan of my neck and chest today, I will have results Monday.  Don’t see the Gastroenterologist until April 13th, so I don’t have the results of the endoscopy.  Praying it is all withdrawal…

I hope you fingers heal soon… ouch!!!

FWIW,

I do have a lot of bacterial overgrowth going on (confirmed by a GI Mapping poop test) and at this point I am choosing to not treat any of it beyond natural means. Supposedly all this gut stuff can explain depression and such but I personally think it is all Benzo WD. I am on to garlic and oil of oregano next...... When I recover from strep throat.

I figure when and if I am totally healed I can do another poop test and then go for the big guns (antibiotics) if I feel it is warranted. Too chicken right now.

Be careful with oregano oil, you may have an adverse reaction based on what I have read.  I completely understand wanting to only use natural means to heal, I feel the same.

Y'all -

HoldingOn - I agree that it is ALL withdrawal. I think what happens to some of us is that our gut just freezes up in withdrawal, and slows down our digestion such that the undigested food just sits in the small intestine, and bam: you got SIBO and all kinds of bacterial overgrowth.

That's def what happened to me. Waiting to treat it till you're more recovered is probably smart but it would also depend on how bad your sxs are ... the trouble is when it is preventing you from eating and creating weight loss. Oregano bothers some and not others in w/d ... if you're going to use it, def start out small. ADP Oregano is supposed to be the easiest one to tolerate. Garlic is contraindicated for SIBO (but you may not have SIBO - I'd just be careful with garlic because it can really irritate the gut).

Seasalt - I hope you are getting some relief, or at least some answers. Thinking of you all and our tummy woes!

Openroad

Update everyone...

Had the capsule endoscopy: doctor emailed me today and said there is no inflammation or sign of disease in the small intestine.

Neck CT and Chest CT (neck swelling-no enlarged lymph nodes on the scan)  Small nodule in my lung has not changed in the last 24 months..

Blood work all normal...

I am at a loss.  I have had on going gastric issues, welling around my neck, blood spots appearing on my arms every six weeks.  I just cant believe this is all withdrawal.  I just don't know where to go from here...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Seasalt, Lori, and Openroad.

This must be the benzo-SIBO club. Lol. I was dx’d a year ago with SIBO (breath test).  The Rifaximin was amazing!  My insurance co-pay would have been $550 so my GI Dr gave me a script to order from a Canadian pharmacy.  They sent me 100 pills for $180 so I took a second round a month later. Rifaximin isn’t systemic which is why there’s rarely sx. It just stays in the intestines.

My GI had me download Monash University’s FODMAP app and I discovered alcohol sugars (sorbitol, xylitol, etc)  were a huge problem causing gut fermentation.  I had been a chronic Trident gum chewer and drank  sorbitol sweetened vitamin water everyday.  Plus I ate a lot of Trader Joe’s mints. Eliminating all that plus the rifaximin made a huge difference.  Oh, and  I also quit eating Greek yogurt because of the sorbitol and also because of the probiotics.  I know it seems counter to natural remedies , but probiotics can actually cause more problems with SIBO. 

For about a month I felt better than I had in years energy wise. I have had ME/CFS for 35 years - predating Xanax.

I had been on PPI’s for 15 years and was concerned they had caused the SIBO due to diminished stomach acids.  So I switched to Iberogast for GERD.  My GERD is caused by a hiatal  hernia.  The Iberogast was great but after a few months caused severe heart palpitations and was raising my blood pressure.  I ended up at the cardiologists doing a halter monitor and echo.  Turned out, as soon as I quit the Iberogast the extreme palps stopped.  It’s got licorice in it which is known for causing that.

Oh well… I’m back on Nexium.  But my guts are doing so much now, except for C.  No more nausea and  I rarely have pain, bloating or churning.

Have you all been helped by the rifaximin?  I hope you’re all feeling better. Seasalt, I just noticed your last post. I’m sorry they can’t figure it out. Thank heavens nothing dreadful showed up. I just finished a battery of tests too including a chest scan also. I’ve got lung nodules too - thankfully  benign. 

I don’t believe withdrawal can be blamed for my issues. But I do know that health anxiety is a real thing that can exacerbate  symptoms.  Whenever I get a good report my symptoms seem to ease up. 

• 6 months later...

Update:

Finally took the antibiotic (8 mos Later), I am on day three and improvement on bloating.  I read an article that said SIBO has a direct impact on blood pressure, it can make it high or low.  Basically the bad bacteria feeds of food you consume and let off gasses that impact your blood pressure.  I guess it is really important to get SIBO under control.  Lori, this could explain your sudden high blood pressure!

Let me know if it has resolved since taking the antibiotic.

• 3 months later...

Seasalt & OpenRoad

How are you both

I’ve had terrible gut issues since I finished the Ativan (still have Valium to go)

It does seem like SIBO. Happened right after that taper ended.

I know it’s the gut motility as I have many meals in before I see any movement.

Also since my booster vax it shut down my gut etc.

I can’t do herbal stuff due to histamine issues and the fact it drops my BP etc.

I’m in so much pain, and seriously only have a few foods to eat.

How is everyone now!

I mean, even oatmeal gives me a hard time. Ugh

Just need off this last bit, but really struggling.

Did florastar help??

Looking for anything really!

Thanks

Winnie

Hi Everyone -

Been wondering how you're doing, Lori and Sea Salt. I'm sorry to hear you are struggling, Winnie.

I don't think any of us really have SIBO - or, rather, that the so-called "SIBO," which is nearly impossible to test for, is caused by altered gut motility, which is caused by benzo w/d.

I think we need to address the motility and the w/d. Not the SIBO. That's just my opinion after dealing with this for the last 18 months.

I do think benzo belly this resolves for most folks once they are off the benzo and healing. I have also had some luck recently with a supplement called bovine colostrum, which has really helped with bloating and distended abdomen.

PS - Perhaps we should turn this thread into a Benzo Belly Support Group? I think it might be helpful for folks.

Oh, I’d love that!

This is SIBO for me for sure, just have to get tested.

Not sure I should because I don’t know if I would take the antibiotics, I can’t do herbal, as I’m allergic to most plants.

Lots of gurgling, churning, burping, bloating, constipation, undigested food.

yes lots have these symptoms too, so hard to know.

I have POTS, MCAS issues and gastroparesis (undiagnosed but suspected by dr), so yes SIBO is most likely.

Yes, the key is motility! The dr said that the booster affected my vagus nerve that’s why my digestion has been shut down.

It’s been awful, and I just want off this drug.

I think a support group for this would help me very much.

Thanks

Winnie

Hi, Winne

My name is sherry, I am new to BB. I live in GTA too. I am sorry to hear your suffering, hope you feel better soon.  I have taken Ativan 0.25- 0.75mg per day for 3 months. Now I have physical dependence on this terrible drug. Currently I am preparing typing.  I saw your post from last year about making liquid Ativan from compounding company, I just want to know if you were taking oral tablets or sublingual? since I am taking sublingual ativan, it's so tiny to dry cut. I don't know if the compounding company can make it to liquid? Did you feel any different of the effective of both forms ? I really appreciate any advice and experience! I sorry for my English writing. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello open road,

I am doing well, was treated for SIBO but I think you are correct it is more of a motility issue.  Still having digestive issue but am now trying purified bile salts.  My gut took a major hit through this process.

Hope you are all well!

Seasalt52

• 2 weeks later...