Night Owl - A Safe Place for Insomniacs to Chat The Night Away/Not Feel Lonely

[Bl...]

Miss Aria may be joining us soon..she just Pm me..

I took valerian non alcohol..it seemed to help with cortisol surges..did you take anything ?

Usually 25 mg of hydroxyzine.  I took half tonight and a melatonin.  Obviously didn't do anything. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Bl...]

• [Ac...]

• [Mi...]

• [Sh...]

Hey guys. I’m sorry to hear so many of you are struggling to sleep, tonight.  :'( Wish I could share some of my sleep with you all. I’d gladly take none if it meant helping you guys. Melatonin helped me before my w/d’s but didn’t do anything during them, except to make me even more tired and frustrated that I couldn’t sleep. I wanted to try Unisom, but was scared to. I have always had sleep problems since I was very young.

Thanks!  Yeah, taking something and having it do absolutely nothing other than make you more tired and realize you still can't sleep is really frustrating! 

Before benzos my friends thought I was narcoleptic I could fall asleep so fast and so many places. Basically on command.  I don't know if that's ever coming back. 

Those very kinds words Miss A  :) I too have struggled with sleep since childhood...I'm making a cup of Kava tea now..have not had any in many months..hope it works at least to calm me down...when i was WD i would put on sleep stories to keep me distracted..youtube has one that last 8 hours..the guy has this long drawn out Brit accent..I may drink the tea when it cools down and give it whirl again....

Miss Aria may be joining us soon..she just Pm me..

I took valerian non alcohol..it seemed to help with cortisol surges..did you take anything ?

Usually 25 mg of hydroxyzine.  I took half tonight and a melatonin.  Obviously didn't do anything.

I was prescribed hydroxyzine and it scared me because it seemed to slow my breathing. It triggered a huge panic attack in me, unfortunately. :(

There’s a baking ASMR channel I used to watch, but I’d also just watch anything where the people talking had British accents. Those accents make me feel so relaxed, usually.

God, it's 445 here now and I've been up so long.  Why did I ever complain about sleeping until this time frame. 

I understand about the hydroxyzine.  I did the same thing with propanolol so didn't continue to take that- just once.  I tolerate hydroxyzine pretty well, but usually doesn't work once I've woken up- only to go to sleep

Ok, I have my tea in me and the 8 hour bedtime stories...I'm going to try to sleep...famous last words...I'm glad you both can continue to chat...Man, I know how you feel!! Talk later guys..

Hope you manage to get some sleep, Blue! Accidental, I’m so sorry that you’re still struggling so bad. :( Like I said, I wish I could share my sleep. I’ve actually been struggling a bit tonight. I’m wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that I started drinking caffeine again.

Hope you manage to get some sleep, Blue! Accidental, I’m so sorry that you’re still struggling so bad. :( Like I said, I wish I could share my sleep. I’ve actually been struggling a bit tonight. I’m wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that I started drinking caffeine again.

It did not work  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( I did not sleep at all...first time in many months ZERO sleep...I can feel the cortisol running through my body...pumping my heart...its 430am and the gym opens at 5am....I think I'm going for a run....thank you MissA...

It did not work  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( I did not sleep at all...first time in many months ZERO sleep...I can feel the cortisol running through my body...pumping my heart...its 430am and the gym opens at 5am....I think I'm going for a run....thank you MissA...

2 hours sleep for me. I never got back to sleep either. I'm sorry you were zero.  I'm in bad shape today.

Oh man what a night! I went to the gym and ran 25 mins. I’m now laying in the dark in my room. Someone’s car horn is stuck. It’s still dark outside. Yes I’m not doing well either. God I hate this. I’m so wiped I can’t even cry but that may change soon. I’ve done lots of crying something I rarely did before this mess. Shit…

Night time was always the worst for me. I had such a hard time being alone. My s/o would start getting tired and the more I could tell he was getting tired, the more I started to get anxious because I knew it meant I’d be alone all night long, with no sleep. Staying up alone, worrying that I was going to have a panic attack, was the absolute worst.

Has anyone tried magnesium? I heard that it can help with the w/d symptoms, as well as to aid in sleep. I don’t know how true that is, so don’t quote me on it! Here’s some things that helped me in the past. Maybe not during w/d’s because I was always anxious, but just some stuff that has worked when I’ve struggled to sleep in the past.

1. Sleepytime Tea!

2. ASMR of just about any kind, though the sound of water was always the most soothing to me.

3. Stories on YouTube.

4. Lavender scented oils.

5. Scalp massages (there’s even massagers for this so you can do it yourself :P)

6. A warm bath/shower and clothes fresh out of the dryer.

Just some suggestions, of course. I know they might not help anyone. I know how tough the insomnia is. It’s truly one of the worst things about w/d. At least it was for me.

Thanks for the list. I’ve tried those and when I’m in my anxiety insomnia, cortisol rush none of it worked. Magnesium I tried months ago and nothing.

You described exactly the emotions of going through a night alone. I was doing fine up until recently. Last night was the worse night in months!! I’m a mess today  :'( :'( :'(

Oh man what a night! I went to the gym and ran 25 mins. I’m now laying in the dark in my room. Someone’s car horn is stuck. It’s still dark outside. Yes I’m not doing well either. God I hate this. I’m so wiped I can’t even cry but that may change soon. I’ve done lots of crying something I rarely did before this mess. Shit…

I've done lots of crying lately, including this morning. I'm a mess as well.  Maybe us preparing for a bad night made us have a bad night?!  Maybe our subconsciouses are really sensitive to the suggestion. 

I think tonight we are going to have much better nights and won't need this thread! 

Aria, yes great description of the "spouse effect" on night time anxiety. 

Magnesium didn't do anything for me.  It increases symptoms for some.

I've done lots of crying lately, including this morning. I'm a mess as well.  Maybe us preparing for a bad night made us have a bad night?!  Maybe our subconsciouses are really sensitive to the suggestion. 

I think tonight we are going to have much better nights and won't need this thread!

You are right on both fronts...we probably got so anxious about sleeping it happened...and yes, hoping tonight no need for this thread!!!

There doesn't seem to be much interest in...you can always PM me...

I think I need to cry now  :'( :'( :'( This sucks!

Unfortunately, nothing short of another Rx drug is going to touch Benzo-induced insomnia.  It can't because the Benzo-induced insomnia isn't being caused by a room that is too warm or cold, or too light or being too anxious, or not going to bed or getting out of bed at the same time, or getting up and doing something non-stimulating when you can't sleep, or sleep restriction, or CBT-i etc., etc., etc. The list could go on and on.

Throw sleep hygiene out the door when it comes to Benzo-induced insomnia!  If ceasing Benzos is the cause of your insomnia, you'll have to tough it out or take another non-Benzo Rx drug or maybe, but I doubt it, something herbal or OTC might work for a few nights?

Good  luck! 

Unfortunately, nothing short of another Rx drug is going to touch Benzo-induced insomnia.  It can't because the Benzo-induced insomnia isn't being caused by a room that too warm, or too light or being too anxious, or not going to bed or getting out of bed at the same time, or getting up and doing something non-stimulating when you can't sleep, or sleep restriction, or CBT-i etc., etc., etc. The list could go on and on.

Throw sleep hygiene out the door when it comes to Benzo-induced insomnia!  If ceasing Benzos is the cause of your insomnia, you'll have to tough it out or take another non-Benzo Rx drug or maybe, but I doubt it, something herbal or OTC might work for a few nights?

Good  luck!

Yeah, definitely agree with this. There was nothing that was going to even touch my insomnia while I was at my worst. I’m not sure if the Prozac has been helping me sleep, or not. I was worried it would have the opposite effect though, since Prozac is supposed to have a more “energizing” effect than other SSRI’s. When I was a teenager, I took Celexa and that made me sleep like 18 hours a day. I didn’t do hardly anything with my life, other than sleep. Gained a lot of weight, slept and ate, forgot that other people existed. Being on Prozac is definitely better than that, so far.

I think ur fixation is a bad idea personally. U need to let go of control. U can’t control this. I think if u guys are getting 6 hrs most nights ur problem is anxiety. I’m not saying this to upset u, I’m trying to help. I actually think establishing a set routine will help you. Why don’t u try sleep restriction for a week? What have u got to lose? Better than not doing anything at all.

My standard amount of sleep per week is 16-19 hrs. So sorry but 6 hours most nights sounds like heaven

That it possible.  Last night while I was laying awake my heart rate was 90.  I took a propanolol and it brought it down to 55.  I still didn't go to sleep.  So either my sleep switch was totally broken last night or I had some wicked anxiety.  Probably a little of both.  During my awake time I was really good at accepting it- I laid quietly and still doing breathing exercises, listening to music, doing yoga nidra, getting up and stretching, eating an apple, etc. Only when I got up did I start losing it and turning into a hopeless mess.

But positivity is the word of the day!

Yeah I don’t get up. I’ve clocked enough hours sitting in the dark in my house and that sh!t will drive anyone nuts. Just maybe go to bed at 10 and get up at 4, every day for a week. Just try it x

I had a sleep routine that I followed religiously. Into bed by 10, out of bed by 7. I allowed myself plenty of time, relaxation, and everything else to fall asleep, but in the worst of my windows/waves, none of that was going to matter. Then I would pass out for an hour or two during the day, sometimes in 20-30 minute intervals only because the exhaustion outweighed the anxiety. Several days at a time I would go without any sleep at all, and I cried many times because all I wanted in the world was to fall asleep. Not saying a sleep routine wouldn’t help, but telling someone with anxiety or mental health issues to not fixate on a problem is a lot easier said than done, sometimes.

I understand. But also emersing urself in it doesn’t help either. Then ur whole world is misery. I have bad weeks sure, was very bad while I had covid but most days I dont have any anxiety anymore. Im just like,here we go again and I get on with it.

I’m not saying it’s definitely going to help. But it’s better than freaking out about it isn’t it?

The alternative is continuing the way you are. Up to u but I think just giving it a go wouldn’t hurt.

I understand. But also emersing urself in it doesn’t help either. Then ur whole world is misery. I have bad weeks sure, was very bad while I had covid but most days I dont have any anxiety anymore. Im just like,here we go again and I get on with it.

I’m not saying it’s definitely going to help. But it’s better than freaking out about it isn’t it?

The alternative is continuing the way you are. Up to u but I think just giving it a go wouldn’t hurt.

To be fair, I’m mostly here to support the others who are going through this, because I’ve been in their shoes. I’ve had insomnia my whole life, but it was definitely worse during w/d’s than I’ve ever experienced in my life. Even so, like I said, I followed a schedule and it just didn’t work for me. I tried not to think about it or fixate on it, but when you’re bed bound, alone, and scared, there’s not much else to focus on.

It wasn’t directed at you. It’s just a suggestion for anyone here. It didn’t work for me either but that doesn’t mean it won’t work for others so I’m not going to talk anyone out of trying based on my experience. I did it for over a year. So I didn’t just give up after a few weeks. Even tho it didn’t work at least I wasn’t obsessing on what I should do tonight to get to sleep, bath, no tv, melatonin, sleep stories ra ra ra.

Anyway not trying to upset anyone. Just saying if u haven’t tried it, give it a go. If u don’t want to… keep scrolling

It wasn’t directed at you. It’s just a suggestion for anyone here. It didn’t work for me either but that doesn’t mean it won’t work for others so I’m not going to talk anyone out of trying based on my experience. I did it for over a year. So I didn’t just give up after a few weeks. Even tho it didn’t work at least I wasn’t obsessing on what I should do tonight to get to sleep, bath, no tv, melatonin, sleep stories ra ra ra.

Anyway not trying to upset anyone. Just saying if u haven’t tried it, give it a go. If u don’t want to… keep scrolling

I understand, you were just giving a helpful suggestion! It’s the whole, “just don’t think about it or fixate on it”, which as someone with depression and anxiety, is something I’ve heard a hundred times in my life from people who thought they know how to fix me. I’ve spent many hours trying to distract and forget, but sometimes you just can’t. I definitely agree with you that TRYING not to think about it or focus on it is definitely better than investing all your time into trying to figure out how to fix it. You’ll either sleep, or you won’t. Your body will force you to sleep eventually, enough for you to at least survive.