Anyone come off lamotrigine??

[Al...]

I am 3 days of 25mg of lamotrigine and experiencing a lot of anxiety that I feel in my chest and lots of head pressure. I’m 43 days off my benzo as well. I was put on lamotrigine for anxiety back in may and tapered down off 25mg in about 1.5 months. I don’t know which drug is causing me to feel this way or if this is just me. Anyone have experience with this? I can’t really find any info about this which is no surprise. I just constantly feel an uneasy feeling in my chest that’s almost a crawling out of your skin feeling. I’m hoping it eventually goes away so I can feel calm. Thank you

Not great but managing. My anxiety has spiked a ton the last two days. Hard to tell what is what. I wonder if I should’ve stayed on the lamotrigine longer since I just finished the benzos 40 some days ago. I just want to be off all this crap 😭

Sounds like it would have been better to wait until you'd recovered from the benzo.  When you stopped taking the Lamotrigine were you nervous about it?  The reason I ask is because that fact alone could be why you're feeling like you are, when we're under stress, it makes our symptoms more pronounced. 

Did you taper the Lamotrigine, I'm reading that's advisable.

Yes I was nervous as I’m terrified of meds now because of benzos. I did taper I was told to do it in 2 weeks by my doctor but did it in 6 because I figured I should go slower than what he said. So you’re thinking maybe this is benzo and my anxiety? The doctors said I shouldn’t have any withdrawals from such a small dose which makes me mad. They say that for everything.

I've seen stress play a huge part in increased symptoms so if you did a slow taper then we'll hope this is the cause of your anxiety and head pressure, they sure sound like benzo symptoms to me.  The first thing I ask any member who is going through an unexpected wave is have you had any increased stress lately.  There are so many things that cause us stress, some we're not even aware of so when I ask the question most members have this ah ha moment and realize where the symptoms may have come from.

My suggestion would be to try to stop thinking about the Lamotrigine taper and find a way to calm yourself, do you have tools you use to help with this?

Thank you that’s very sound advice. I’ve had a lot of stress lately and yes I have some good tools to use. Sometimes it just feels like too much to handle. Thank you for the thoughtful responses and trying to help.

Just validating you, it is the medication.  I am currently on Lamictal which I've been on for 6 years at a dose of 250mg/day. Before deciding to come off Xanax , I wanted to taper off Lamictal because I thought (and still think) it flattened my personality, affected my urination flow, crushed my libido, and affected my memory.  When I tried to come off it by 25mg to start, after about two weeks I could not sleep, was severely irritable, beyond depressed and my thoughts were disturbing.  I did however discover that it was the culprit for the screwed up urinary stuff.  Sadly, I could not handle coming off it at that time, so I'm back up on the original dose.  Lamictal is another drug that hits the central nervous system directly. I hope things get better for you. Sending my best and I hope this helped in some abstract way!

Just validating you, it is the medication.  I am currently on Lamictal which I've been on for 6 years at a dose of 250mg/day. Before deciding to come off Xanax , I wanted to taper off Lamictal because I thought (and still think) it flattened my personality, affected my urination flow, crushed my libido, and affected my memory.  When I tried to come off it by 25mg to start, after about two weeks I could not sleep, was severely irritable, beyond depressed and my thoughts were disturbing.  I did however discover that it was the culprit for the screwed up urinary stuff.  Sadly, I could not handle coming off it at that time, so I'm back up on the original dose.  Lamictal is another drug that hits the central nervous system directly. I hope things get better for you. Sending my best and I hope this helped in some abstract way!

Thanks for this information widesky, I'll remember next time a member talks about Lamictal, it seems like we pay a price for just about everything.  :(

I was on many many psych drugs and Lamictal - for me!! - was the absolute worst. So much worse worse than benzos. The wd is beyond horrific. It shocked my whole system. It almost killed me while on it sp I had to quit cold turkey. Fr me, Lamictal is the absolute worst drug ever.

[60...]

Your comment caught my attention.

My son came off of lamictal sept 9. He has been doing a very slow taper for a year. I noticed once he got down to 25mg he started urinating more frequently. And since he’s come completely off he’s still going a lot more than usual. I’ve had him checked for UTI and had his sugar checked and everything was normal. I wondered if it was the lamictal and then I see this! Did you notice going more frequently?

Thank you for your responses. I was told by my doctors that there’s no way I could have withdrawals from lamotrigine because my dose was only 25mg. Only being off benzos for 40 days maybe I jumped too quickly. I had just started it in may. I agree we can’t take anything without paying for it! I wasn’t doing well before I stopped it, but better than how I’m doing now. I HATE meds!!!

neverending79

Do you know how long the withdrawals last from this? I can’t seem to find much info on the timeline. I’ve been off for about 10 days now.

Yes, I did go more frequently...but it felt like it was normalizing itself for me from not being able to go fully all at once.  I would pee, then have to go again in like a minute...so going  more steadily was a relief.

Your comment caught my attention.

My son came off of lamictal sept 9. He has been doing a very slow taper for a year. I noticed once he got down to 25mg he started urinating more frequently. And since he’s come completely off he’s still going a lot more than usual. I’ve had him checked for UTI and had his sugar checked and everything was normal. I wondered if it was the lamictal and then I see this! Did you notice going more frequently?

neverending79

Do you know how long the withdrawals last from this? I can’t seem to find much info on the timeline. I’ve been off for about 10 days now.

I will be off 26 months tomorrow and am still in hell. Still got seizures and so many horrific brain symptoms. I can only hope this is not permanent. 10 days unfortunately is nothing. At this point you could still try to reinstate and do a much slower taper to prevent horrible symptpms. I quit cold turkey.

neverending79

Do you think all your symptoms are related to lamotrigine? I was only on 25mg for 4 months and tapered for a month plus.

Al-pal, your anxiety and other distressing s/x might be attributable to coming off your benzo, and not the lamictal. I took lamictal for about 6 months and had to stop when it gave me a rash. My doc tapered me off it rather quickly, but I did not experience any s/x . Just lucky, I guess. This is a list of commonly felt s/x on discontinuation. And as the info explains, they may be felt whether you come off quickly or not:

Clinical trials show that sudden Lamictal discontinuation may increase the frequency of seizures in patients with epilepsy. The patient information that comes with Lamictal doesn't mention any potential withdrawal symptoms beyond seizures. However, Lamictal users report other symptoms, even if they taper off from the drug as opposed to stopping it suddenly. These include:

Moodiness

Hostility

Loss of focus

Lethargy

Headaches

Body tingling and other such sensory effects

Suicidal tendencies

I can't find any info on how long these might last (and you doc sure won't tell you I bet). I didn't find your specific s/x (anxiety, chest and head pressure) in the list either, so they might be benzo-related. In which case they ought to get better the farther out you are from your benzo. At least that's how things went for me.

Just for the record, I hated lamictal. As someone else reported, it flattened my personality.

Anyhow, I hope you get to feeling better.

Best,

Katz

neverending79

Do you think all your symptoms are related to lamotrigine? I was only on 25mg for 4 months and tapered for a month plush.

I was heavily polydrugged and Lamictal was the last drug I came off. I was off benzos and all the other drugs for almost 5 years though when I finally quit the Lamictal. It might have masked some of the other wd symptoms as long as I was still on it but at this point I am quite sure that all the things that are left are from Lamictal. It is the only drug that gives me so much *brain* symptoms. All other drugs including benzos came with mostly psychological and physical symptoms but I feel brain damaged since my ct of L.

How much were you taking? I’m so sorry you’re still suffering. That’s a long time in between meds to be any of the others. When you say brain symptoms, besides seizures what do you mean

?

I was on many many psych drugs and Lamictal - for me!! - was the absolute worst. So much worse worse than benzos. The wd is beyond horrific. It shocked my whole system. It almost killed me while on it sp I had to quit cold turkey. Fr me, Lamictal is the absolute worst drug ever.

Totally! 

I came off Trazodone, Wellbutrin, Lexapro (hell), Adderall, Lamictal, Lamortrigine, Lithium, and then Clonazepam at the very end.

For me, coming off Lamictal and Lamortrigine was no problem, but I was still on Clonazepam when I did it. When I starting coming off Clonazepam a year later, all hell broke loose from which I am still severely damaged. We are all so different. 

I came off Trazodone, Wellbutrin, Lexapro (hell), Adderall, Lamictal, Lamortrigine, Lithium, and then Clonazepam at the very end.

For me, coming off Lamictal and Lamortrigine was no problem, but I was still on Clonazepam when I did it. When I starting coming off Clonazepam a year later, all hell broke loose from which I am still severely damaged. We are all so different.

Yes we are. And I do think when some of us polymedicated, so of those drugs can mask symptoms of the others we are coming off.  I came of geodon and I know it masked how hard the benzos are to taper.  What fun.  :o

Yes we are. And I do think when some of us polymedicated, so of those drugs can mask symptoms of the others we are coming off.  I came of geodon and I know it masked how hard the benzos are to taper.  What fun.  :o

Yes indeed! With poly-drugging it really is hard to pinpoint one drug effects over the others. For me, I think the Clonazepam masked a lot of the withdrawal problems of the other drugs, so when the Clonazepem was finally removed it was like an avalanche of holy hell. Total dementia!

Al-pal, I tried Lamictal and felt almost exactly the same way.  Didn’t have chest tightness but had head pressure and this weird muscular feeling that felt I was sort of crawling out of my skin.  I also tried Trileptal, which is a similar drug, and I felt the same way.