How to ACTUALLY dissolve klonopin in alcohol?

[Re...]

A couple of questions:

(1) You write in your recipe:  "... the 30% ethanol content of the aforementioned recipe is a requirement of clonazepam's solubility in ethanol and water..." Where does it say that in the paper?  According to the study you cite, a 30% ABV mix would have a solubility of just 0.2 mg/ml.  Why take any chances?  Why not just use 180 proof alcohol instead of water to accomplish the dilution?

(2) Where did you get the rule of thumb of 2.5 ml of 180 proof alcohol per 1mg K?  This seems too conservative according to the above data that report K solubility in 180 proof alcohol as ~ 6 mg/ml.

(3) I've ordered 1L of Everclear 190 proof.  How much water do I need to add to it to bring it down to 180 proof? Is it as simple as adding (.95/.90 - 1) * 1000 ml of water?

I'm really excited that you understand my notes and want to consider something similar for your own taper. You've passed the mol/L to mg/ml test; that sets you above most of us for math and chem wizardry!

I'll try to answer your questions in order. FYI nothing in my liquid clonazepam formulating notes is meant to be directly instructive; it's just what I do and I appreciate that you're picking it apart for yourself to find what makes sense to you.

1) The research paper says NOTHING about dissolving tablets, and from my understanding the paper was testing to find maximum saturation rates using these specific % ethanol to water solutions right from the get-go, then giving them 48 hours to soak, filtering what pure clonazepam wasn't dissolved, and measuring how much ended up in solution. Very ideal conditions, very precise equipment, and chromatography or whatever they used to assay their results. Thus this is useful information, but not directly instructive, so I didn't mean to suggest that the paper was saying 30% ethanol is required for my purposes; I'm only determining that % from a variety of sources and personal experience.

The reason I do not use 90% ethanol alone to make my solution is because I don't need to. I'll explain more below, but the more personal answer is that I don't want to consume very much alcohol, especially on a regular basis. It's a poison. I want the minimum amount of alcohol to dissolve the clonazepam I need, and I want this liquid to constitute the minimum amount of my daily dose(s). As a result, I never consume more than 0.3ml of ethanol in a day, and usually it's less.

2) Ultra2007 taught me the rule of thumb mentioned above. He did a daily liquid discard taper, coming down from 6mg/day of clonazepam to zero over many years (he just finished the other month  :thumbsup:). When I first formulated my alcohol and water liquid clonazepam I was using this rule of thumb; it was literally the only concrete K dissolution information I could glean after weeks of asking around the forum.

I wanted a solution with 0.125mg/ml (1/4 of my 0.5mg tablets), and I determined that using Ultra2007's information, this would require 0.3125ml of 180 proof per ml of solution. I wanted 30ml of solution, so I multiplied 0.3125 by 30 and got 9.375ml of 180 proof to use Ultra2007's ratio.

This formulating was happening in the evening, after a second DMT attempt with an oil-based pharmacy compounded suspension and the liquid was a dud; even though it was only maybe 8% of my total dose, it wasn't doing anything for me and I was on day 10 and suffering. I'd actually never heard of anyone on the forum using oil-suspended clonazepam, so I was starting to realize that I had been missing the "wisdom of the crowd". Hence the alcohol experiment...

I rounded up from my earlier number to get 10ml of 180 proof and I let the tablets soak in this for about an hour. Soaking in a very strong alcohol for a while before diluting seems to accelerate the dissolution; I can't remember who told me this, it probably was Badsocref. I think he called it wetting.

To answer your concern about the rule of thumb, according to the research paper: 2.5ml of 180 proof (90% ethanol) has a maximum saturation level of 15.45mg of clonazepam. That's a lot of clonazepam in just 2.5ml. Ultra2007 was saying to use this amount of ethanol to dissolve 1mg of clonazepam; this gives a VERY wide margin of error, and why not? We're dabbling in the invisible arts here, and by doing a liquid/tablet hybrid my daily ethanol consumption amounts were still going to be very low.

After an hour of dissolution time and stirring, I added water until the 10ml of 180 proof plus tablets was a total volume of 30ml. I began using this solution the next day instead of my oil-based compounding and the results were impressive. It finally worked, and I was able to recover from most of my WD symptoms within the day and DMT the rest of the way off my current 1/4 tablet reduction.

After Libertas gifted me the research paper, I decided to look at my recipe a little more critically. Specifically I wanted to compare the maximum saturation results to those of my finished dilution, which was only 30% ethanol. At 30% ethanol, each 1ml was shown to hold a maximum of 0.2mg/ml, roughly double the 0.125mg/ml I wanted to stay in solution. This wiggle room is the "requirement" I want to meet when making a home made liquid clonazepam. Because of this requirement of mine, I use 30% ethanol to dissolve solutions at or below 0.125mg/ml clonazepam.

3) Personally, I wouldn't dilute 190 proof; I'd use it as it. It's only a 5% increase in ethanol content, so in my recipe I consider 180 and 190 proofs as the same thing.

Thanks so much for your feedback and interest in my taper approach! I hope this helps! Please feel free to ask other questions, here or on your own titration board thread if you'd like to focus on a recipe you plan to use personally.  8)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [sl...]

• [Re...]

• [Li...]

• [Ro...]

Top Posters In This Topic