• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Wi...]

• [no...]

• [Tr...]

• [De...]

Top Posters In This Topic

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me...

Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

― Shel Silverstein

(From my little one's bedside book...  :) )

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me...

Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

― Shel Silverstein

(From my little one's bedside book...  :) )

That's beautiful.

Ah, thanks so much, Vali. She repeats it to me on the roughest days....

Wishing you and your daughter a lovely 2020!

I've sent it via whatsapp to my daughter so that she has it on her phone. Thank you Wildflower, I hope you can sleep a bit more and then wake up to a beautiful day with your family 🐢🍀🏞️🌸

I've sent it via whatsapp to my daughter so that she has it on her phone.

THIS makes me smile so broadly! Thank you for letting me know, Vali! May it cheer you both on this year. 🌸

• 2 weeks later...
[08...]

We Are Either For Ourselves, Or Against Ourselves.

by Jennifer Leigh | Jan 20, 2020 | Coping Skills | 0 comments

There have been a few life-changing realizations in my life. One of them—perhaps the most life-changing—was the realization that I was either for myself of against myself. I had the choice to decide how I wanted to respond to my thoughts and feelings. I couldn’t always be in control of what bubbled (or quickly burst) up in my nervous system, but I could pause and make a decision as to how I wanted to respond. That decision would either be for me or against me. Every thought, feeling, and action we have are either for us or against us. That is a vital key to reducing our suffering in benzo withdrawal, and hopefully, shortening our recovery as much as it is possible to do so.

Common thoughts in benzo withdrawal are “I’ll never heal.” “I can’t cope.” “I can’t…(fill in the blank), “No one understands me.” “I am all alone.” “I’ve lost everything.” Those thoughts work against us. They add fuel to the already burning fire of our excitable nervous system. Those thoughts are generated by that very same excited nervous system, and we aren’t in control of the thought’s generation, but once they make themselves known, we can decide how we want to respond to them. This is where we have the chance to be for ourselves, not against ourselves. We can choose to respond to negative thoughts that appear by simply observing them and allowing them to pass through us. We can choose to not believe the negative things they tell us.

When we don’t allow our threat detection circuitry—our limbic system and adrenal glands—to run our lives, we are so much better off. Our threat detection circuitry fires often in benzo withdrawal, however, there is usually no real threat. But our adrenals convince us that we are doomed. Don’t allow your adrenal glands to make you their bitch! Choose to respond to the doom and gloom thoughts with thoughts, feelings, and actions that are for you, not against you. Be as kind, gentle, compassionate, and loving to yourself as you can be. BE FOR YOU!

Today I challenge you to get a piece of paper and a pen. On the upper left-hand side of the paper, write FOR ME. On the upper right-hand side write AGAINST ME. Go through your day paying attention to your thoughts, feelings, and actions. Write them down under the appropriate heading. If you add a thought, feeling, or action to the AGAINST ME side, ask yourself what you can do to change whatever is necessary so that it is for you.

I know we are not ourselves in benzo withdrawal. We are frightened. Overwhelmed. Needy. Despondent. If can feel that life is against us. I assure you, it is not. You are safe. You are healing. You will recover. Help your nervous system settle down by being for yourself, not against yourself.

Focusing on good things help me.  Baby animal pictures, funny shows, soft music, etc.  It doesn't make my symptoms go away, but it doesn't make them worse and helps to soothe my frazzled cns.

Many things can make my symptoms worse.. loud noises, certain foods, drama and escalating emotion.  Again, removing these things don't "heal" me, but it does prevent my symptoms from being worse than they already are.  And I prefer to wait this out as peacefully as possible.

Thanks b!

I agree. We are all different. You will be ok. This too shall pass. Somedays it is minute by minute. All you have to do is hand on and distract as you can.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Sorry for not checking in earlier. I've been feeling crook with extraordinary s/x, but I'm pushing on!

My quote for the day is:

"Don't focus on what's happened in the past. Focus on the here and now, and the future because the future shines bright for you."

Dave.  8)

• 1 month later...

Hello everybody!  Listening to 80s music is what helps me to tolerate wd sxs and to think in other things when negative thoughts invade me. It is difficult to pospone unfinished tasks for me, so when a bad feeling comes, its hard to avoid, because I naturally try to solve it. So I listen to my old favourite songs that I used to listen to when I wasn`t on benzos.

Hello everybody!  Listening to 80s music is what helps me to tolerate wd sxs and to think in other things when negative thoughts invade me. It is difficult to pospone unfinished tasks for me, so when a bad feeling comes, its hard to avoid, because I naturally try to solve it. So I listen to my old favourite songs that I used to listen to when I wasn`t on benzos.

Seinfeld too, right?! :)

I listen to music too. Helps with the overthinking.  I have been trying hard to stop analyzing things. It gets me nowhere. Giving up the control. ❤❤

“All that is gold does not glitter,

Not all those who wander are lost;

The old that is strong does not wither,

Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,

A light from the shadows shall spring;

Renewed be the blade that was broken,

The crownless again shall be king.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

ngcb3

So very love Tolkein... thank you Wild Flower.

And I learned to start talking to myself with love through Balissas "Dearest Friend" blog... miss it so much, but it taught me well and I continue it on my own.  So very important. Thank you Nova.