Can benzos cause cancer?

[Be...]

We all try to find reasons for what is happening to us. Everybody has their belief systems and that's how it should be. When it comes to science, however, the only thing that matters is empirical evidence. That means studies with sufficient statistical power done in the right way. Again, about half of us will develop cancer during our lifetimes. This may be happening at the time or after benzo withdrawal. It doesn't mean that cancer is caused by benzos or benzo withdrawal. We simply don't know as there haven't been studies to address this.

Usually, if there are indicators that some agent might cause cancer, somebody will do studies. A good example is smoking, which was suspected to cause cancer before the 1960s and studies were then conducted that proved that smoking does cause cancer.

Bladder cancer is linked to smoking, which I came to realize when the doctor asked me about tobacco. I have never smoked cigarettes in my life!

Over time, chronic inflammation can cause DNA damage and lead to cancer.Apr 29, 2015

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ma...]

• [Da...]

• [Co...]

• [Te...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me also say that in contrast to benzos, alcohol has clearly been linked to cancer. This is for the buddies who consume or have consumed alcohol in large quantities. If anybody wants references, please let me know.

Finally, there is an ever growing link between obesity and cancer.

So if a buddy has cancer, these risk factors are more likely contributors than benzos.

We all try to find reasons for what is happening to us. Everybody has their belief systems and that's how it should be. When it comes to science, however, the only thing that matters is empirical evidence. That means studies with sufficient statistical power done in the right way. Again, about half of us will develop cancer during our lifetimes. This may be happening at the time or after benzo withdrawal. It doesn't mean that cancer is caused by benzos or benzo withdrawal. We simply don't know as there haven't been studies to address this.

Usually, if there are indicators that some agent might cause cancer, somebody will do studies. A good example is smoking, which was suspected to cause cancer before the 1960s and studies were then conducted that proved that smoking does cause cancer.

Bladder cancer is linked to smoking, which I came to realize when the doctor asked me about tobacco. I have never smoked cigarettes in my life!

Over time, chronic inflammation can cause DNA damage and lead to cancer.Apr 29, 2015

But bladder cancer is also linked to other unhealthy life habits. Or it's just pure bad luck.

As I said, I'm almost sure I wouldn't have gotten bladder cancer had I stayed away from benzos. I was a healthy woman until pharma drugs came into my life. What a huge mistake I made!!!

I'm wondering if for long term users a brutal detox or c/t could cause cancer ?...It's like a gun shot to

your System....wouldn't surprise me at all.

I'm wondering if for long term users a brutal detox or c/t could cause cancer ?...It's like a gun shot to

And gun shots cause cancer?

Why take the piss Mr " never had an issue stopping " ?

No piss here. Just a question.

Edit: fixed misplaced reply to quote.

~Colin.

I haven't followed this entire thread, but I'll say this. Cancer is now the leading cause of death of children in the US. It's the second-leading cause of death among adults. A hundred years ago, we didn't see these kinds of stats. Shouldn't we be asking why?

I've read hundreds of cancer case studies, including case medical histories, blood-test results (liver-enzyme tests, kidney-function markers, etc.), tissue-mineral analyses, and more. The common factor seems to be this: hyper-toxicity. Congested liver (elevated enzymes), kidney-stress indicators, often estrogen dominance (men, too), heavy-metal toxicity (various combos - copper, cadmium, mercury, and a few others), mineral depletion....

Now, if you extrapolate from this - then, yes, of course long-term benzo use can contribute to cancer. As can the use of all medical drugs, OTCs, alcohol, hormone-altering substances and steroids, unhealthy diet (processing, pesticides, additives, chemicals), dental amalgams - the list goes on. These factors all impact liver and kidney function, adding to the body's toxic load. The main mechanism - or at least, one of them - seems to be toxicity.

The danger in focusing on individual culprits - such as benzos - is that we miss the bigger picture: we've created a hyper-toxic world in which many of our choices are leading us directly to cancer. Many of these factors can be controlled/changed.  Informed consent - yes. But the only sure way to turn these sad stats is to educate ourselves, take control and change our lifestyle and health-care choices. For our own sake, and that of our children.

My heart goes out to anyone who is braving withdrawal along with other challenges - which includes many of us.

I haven't followed this entire thread, but I'll say this. Cancer is now the leading cause of death of children in the US. It's the second-leading cause of death among adults. A hundred years ago, we didn't see these kinds of stats. Shouldn't we be asking why?

I've read hundreds of cancer case studies, including case medical histories, blood-test results (liver-enzyme tests, kidney-function markers, etc.), tissue-mineral analyses, and more.... The common factor seems to be this: hyper-toxicity. Congested liver (elevated enzymes), kidney-stress indicators, often estrogen dominance (men, too), heavy-metal toxicity (various combos - copper, cadmium, mercury, and a few others), mineral depletion....

Now, if you extrapolate from this - then, yes, of course long-term benzo use can contribute to cancer. As can the use of all medical drugs, OTCs, alcohol, hormone-altering substances and steroids, unhealthy diet (processing, pesticides, additives, chemicals), dental amalgams - the list goes on. These factors all impact liver and kidney function, adding to the body's toxic load. The main mechanism - or at least, one of them - seems to be toxicity.

The danger in focusing on individual culprits - such as benzos - is that we miss the bigger picture: we've created a hyper-toxic world in which many of our choices are leading us directly to cancer. Many of these factors can be controlled/changed.  Informed consent - yes. But the only sure way to turn these sad stats is to educate ourselves, take control and change our lifestyle and health-care choices. For our own sake, and that of our children.

My heart goes out to anyone who is braving withdrawal along with other challenges - which includes many of us.

Good points, as there are toxic agents that have been definitively shown to cause cancer. However, this is not true for all drugs. In fact some agents, such as aspirin or COX-2 inhibitors decrease colon cancer incidence.

Let me add that the major reason for the increase in cancer incidence in adults is simply the fact that we live longer. You're more prone to developing cancer as your age increases.

Another point is that fortunately childhood cancer is in general much more curable than adult cancer.

The difference between Trump and me is that he is not an immunopharmacologist with an MD and PhD and I am. I really appreciate what others wrote about inflammation, the immune cancer and cancer but again they are laypeople and I'm an expert.

Oh, please, Maugham.  This whole appeal to authority ::) ... anyone can be anything they want to be on the internet, doesn't necessarily make it so.  Has Colin verified your credentials, anyway?

No. And I have no intention of doing so.

We have rules against members attempting to diagnose other members, and the rule applies to medical practitioners too.

Rules & Guidelines for the BenzoBuddies Community (Additional Advice & Guidelines):

Please adopt a non-prescriptive writing style. Relating your experiences, stating options, or posting suggestions of what other members might do are all welcome. However, advising members of what they should or must do is against the ethos of the BenzoBuddies Community. Nor should you attempt to 'diagnose' medical problems or suggest medical treatments to other members. This policy also applies to members with medical qualifications. A more detailed explanation of this policy can be found in our Guidelines Regarding the Giving of Medical Advice document.

And:

Guidelines Regarding the Giving of Medical Advice

The rules do not disallow members (including doctors, nurses, etc.) from bringing their expertise to the discussion. Indeed, we should welcome it.

'Appeal to authority' does not apply here. Such appeals are usually utilsed in argument by referencing a third party authority to bolster a position without detailing the actual evidence apparently in support of the argument. On the contrary, what we have here is an unequal discussion between expert and lay person (I'm a lay person too). Really, we should welcome input from people properly trained or educated in the sciences, even (or especially) when what they have to tell us might contradict our gut and relatively uneducated ponderings.

Very good points. Let me add that another major reason for the increase in cancer incidence in adults is simply the fact that we live longer. You're more prone to developing cancer as your age increases.

Maugham, I enjoy many of your arguments. My take on it would be that the toxic load increases with age - and that we're conditioned to believe that it's inevitable. I disagree with that premise. There are studies that bear me out - the Hunza people commonly reached the age of 120, and cancer was unknown among them.

The difference between Trump and me is that he is not an immunopharmacologist with an MD and PhD and I am. I really appreciate what others wrote about inflammation, the immune cancer and cancer but again they are laypeople and I'm an expert.

Oh, please, Maugham.  This whole appeal to authority ::) ... anyone can be anything they want to be on the internet, doesn't necessarily make it so.  Has Colin verified your credentials, anyway?

No. And I have no intention of doing so.

We have rules against members attempting to diagnose other members, and the rule applies to medical practitioners too.

Rules & Guidelines for the BenzoBuddies Community (Additional Advice & Guidelines):

Please adopt a non-prescriptive writing style. Relating your experiences, stating options, or posting suggestions of what other members might do are all welcome. However, advising members of what they should or must do is against the ethos of the BenzoBuddies Community. Nor should you attempt to 'diagnose' medical problems or suggest medical treatments to other members. This policy also applies to members with medical qualifications. A more detailed explanation of this policy can be found in our Guidelines Regarding the Giving of Medical Advice document.

And:

Guidelines Regarding the Giving of Medical Advice

The rules do not disallow members (including doctors, nurses, etc.) from bringing their expertise to the discussion. Indeed, we should welcome it.

'Appeal to authority' does not apply here. Such appeals are usually utilsed in argument by referencing a third party authority to bolster a position without detailing the actual evidence apparently in support of the argument. On the contrary, what we have here is an unequal discussion between expert and lay person (I'm a lay person too). Really, we should welcome input from people properly trained or educated in the sciences, even (or especially) when what they have to tell us might contradict our gut and relatively uneducated ponderings.

Thank you for pointing out these rules. Nevertheless, I removed the post in question because the criticism that anybody can say anything and claim they are experts is true. Since I'm unwilling to support my claim that I'm an expert by the only way I can, that is by revealing my identity, I will not say I'm an expert. I shouldn't have said that. I should have only referred to third party evidence and I will try to do that in the future.

~Colin.

Look, why can't you get it into your skull that benzos CAUSE INFLAMMATION. It's as simple as that. The system is in high alert. THAT CAN CAUSE CANCER IF IT'S CHRONIC.

~Colin.

Look, why can't you get it into your skull that benzos CAUSE INFLAMMATION. It's as simple as that. The system is in high alert. THAT CAUSES INFLAMMATION IF IT'S CHRONIC.

It's not what I can or can't get into my skull. It's what is supported by empirical/scientific evidence. No amount of capital letter is going to change that.

Inflammation is defined by 5 cardinal signs that appear together. Redness, increased heat, swelling, pain and loss of function. It can be both acute and chronic.

Anyway, here is an article:

Reduction of inflammation in rats by diazepam: tolerance development.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12639701

Thank you for pointing out these rules. Nevertheless, I removed the post in question because the criticism that anybody can say anything and claim they are experts is true. Since I'm unwilling to support my claim that I'm an expert by the only way I can, that is by revealing my identity, I will not say I'm an expert. I shouldn't have said that. I should have only referred to third party evidence and I will try to do that in the future.

I understand your rationale. But all members bring their own particular skills, experience or expertise to discussions on these boards: we do not ask any of them to prove their claims. There have been occasional abuses of such trust (as with just about every discussion board on the Net). The problem here is that making use of your expertise here can make it difficult to have a productive discussion unless your interlocutors take certain things on trust. You will come to the topic from a position (of knowledge) where much is a given. It would not be sensible for you to explain and cite everything - this is not a lecture hall after all.

Again, you do not need to prove your credentials. And certainly not since no one here doubts them. For this reason (and the other reasons I mention above), I think the criticism was unfair.

In this thread a large number of studies were cited to support that benzos cause cancer. None of those showed that benzos cause cancer in animals let alone humans.

One study is a genotoxicity study in bacteria, which doesn't mean much. The concentrations of benzos used in that study may have nothing to do with the concentrations of benzos used in humans. If you give high enough concentrations of any drug in these assays you will show toxic effects.

The other 20-30 concern the effect of benzos on the immune system, stress, kidney,etc. They are not about cancer. In addition, most of those studies were done on animals with benzo doses that are not relevant for humans.

I feel very deeply for people who were diagnosed with cancer during the benzo ordeal that we are all going through. Unfortunately, cancer will develop in about half of the population at some time during their lifetime. But this has not been shown to be caused by benzos. I agree that there are no studies showing that benzos do not cause cancer. But that doesn't mean they do.

Maugham, are the following links helpful in determining/substantiating that cancer has been found to occur in rats when given Zolpidem? I remember reading this study in the insert that came with every bottle from the VA beginning some time back in the mid 1990's. I was concerned and did plan to get off of Ambien, but inter dose w/d drove me in another direction speedily.

https://www.rxlist.com/ambien-cr-drug.htm#warnings

Nonclinical Toxicology

Carcinogenesis, Mutagenesis, Impairment Of Fertility

Carcinogenesis

Zolpidem was administered to mice and rats for 2 years at oral doses of 4, 18, and 80 mg base/kg. In mice, these doses are approximately 2, 9, and 40 times the maximum recommended human dose (MRHD) of 12.5 mg/day (10 mg zolpidem base) on mg/m² basis. In rats, these doses are approximately 4, 18, and 80 times the MRHD on a mg/m² basis. No evidence of carcinogenic potential was observed in mice. In rats, renal tumors (lipoma, liposarcoma) were seen at the mid-and high doses.

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2016/021774s018lbl.pdf

13 NONCLINICAL TOXICOLOGY

13.1 Carcinogenesis, Mutagenesis, Impairment of Fertility

Carcinogenesis: Zolpidem was administered to mice and rats for 2 years at oral doses of 4, 18, and 80 mg base/kg. In mice, these doses are approximately 2, 9, and 40 times the maximum recommended human dose (MRHD) of 12.5 mg/day (10 mg zolpidem base) on mg/m2 basis. In rats, these doses are approximately 4, 18, and 80 times the MRHD on a mg/m2 basis. No evidence of carcinogenic potential was observed in mice. In rats, renal tumors (lipoma, liposarcoma) were seen at the mid- and high doses.

In this thread a large number of studies were cited to support that benzos cause cancer. None of those showed that benzos cause cancer in animals let alone humans.

One study is a genotoxicity study in bacteria, which doesn't mean much. The concentrations of benzos used in that study may have nothing to do with the concentrations of benzos used in humans. If you give high enough concentrations of any drug in these assays you will show toxic effects.

The other 20-30 concern the effect of benzos on the immune system, stress, kidney,etc. They are not about cancer. In addition, most of those studies were done on animals with benzo doses that are not relevant for humans.

I feel very deeply for people who were diagnosed with cancer during the benzo ordeal that we are all going through. Unfortunately, cancer will develop in about half of the population at some time during their lifetime. But this has not been shown to be caused by benzos. I agree that there are no studies showing that benzos do not cause cancer. But that doesn't mean they do.

Maugham, are the following links helpful in determining/substantiating that cancer has been found to occur in rats when given Zolpidem? I remember reading this study in the insert that came with every bottle from the VA beginning some time back in the mid 1990's. I was concerned and did plan to get off of Ambien, but inter dose w/d drove me in another direction speedily.

Nonclinical Toxicology

Carcinogenesis

Zolpidem was administered to mice and rats for 2 years at oral doses of 4, 18, and 80 mg base/kg. In mice, these doses are approximately 2, 9, and 40 times the maximum recommended human dose (MRHD) of 12.5 mg/day (10 mg zolpidem base) on mg/m² basis. In rats, these doses are approximately 4, 18, and 80 times the MRHD on a mg/m² basis. No evidence of carcinogenic potential was observed in mice. In rats, renal tumors (lipoma, liposarcoma) were seen at the mid-and high doses.

Carcinogenesis: Zolpidem was administered to mice and rats for 2 years at oral doses of 4, 18, and 80 mg base/kg. In mice, these doses are approximately 2, 9, and 40 times the maximum recommended human dose (MRHD) of 12.5 mg/day (10 mg zolpidem base) on mg/m2 basis. In rats, these doses are approximately 4, 18, and 80 times the MRHD on a mg/m2 basis. No evidence of carcinogenic potential was observed in mice. In rats, renal tumors (lipoma, liposarcoma) were seen at the mid- and high doses.

OK, they found lipoma (which is not cancer but a benign tumor) and liposarcoma (which is cancer) in rats (but not mice) that received 9-40 times the recommended dose of Zolpidem for 2 years. However, that doesn't really mean much. The reason is that rats live for about 2 years and in most cases they die of some kind of cancer even in the absence of any drugs.

Nonclinical Toxicology

Carcinogenesis

OK, they found lipoma (which is not cancer but a benign tumor) and liposarcoma (which is cancer) in rats (but not mice) that received 9-40 times the recommended dose of Zolpidem for 2 years. However, that doesn't really mean much. The reason is that rats live for about 2 years and in most cases they die of some kind of cancer even in the absence of any drugs.

It is important that we are careful on how we word things when it comes to the subject of cancer. The majority of us on here are not experts...thus it is very easy to listen more closely to those who are experts on any given subject being discussed.

Thank you for your response and contribution to this critical subject. :) It needs to be discussed right up until we find the answer....if it's out there. :-\

Thank you you guys, you all mean a lot to me. Thanks for the support and kind words and who you are as individuals.

BlueRose, you have been so lovely with me. I’m so sorry that you and Terry also have felt so many of the same feelings and have had to have the additional pain and complexity of a cancer dx. Do you still have cancer, BlueRose? I hope it would be alright to try PMing again.

I didn’t and don’t have the perfect words for now to each of you to sufficiently express how much your replies mean to me. You’re all my heroes for various and sundry other reasons.

Not that this is all about me. I’m sorry to hear that I’m not the only one who feels the dx and my ingestion of this drug are likely related. I do believe it relevant and feel the topic brings up a variety of thoughts to consider for doctors (one can hope,) those considering taking a benzo and/or using it recreationally, and those of us tapering.

Thank you for asking mon pilot. :) I have not been aggressively seeking answers regarding if I still have cancer or not. My body just would not be able to handle having to go through further treatments if needed. I am way too sick still…and ironically I consider myself one of the more fortunate ones on this website when I compare my activity level to quite a few on BB.

But there is NO way I could endure going through chemo again. I’m grateful for having lived up until now and to all those in the medical community who were involved in my treatment plan…so much has happened in the world that I would not have wanted to miss being an "eye witness" to….and there is so much more yet to be an eye witness to. Who would want to miss it? NOT me.

I have to say, I do love life and I do consider it a gift. I'm open to PMs anytime. The earth icon you sent awhile back is appropriate to mention right now, given the subject that's under discussion in this thread. The earth is in such a mess...it's any wonder any of us function at all. :'(

A hundred years ago, we didn't see these kinds of stats. Shouldn't we be asking why?

The danger in focusing on individual culprits - such as benzos - is that we miss the bigger picture: we've created a hyper-toxic world in which many of our choices are leading us directly to cancer.

And in spite of all this toxicity, we have doubled our life expectancy  over the last century  Seems like a pretty good trade-off to me! ::)

https://ourworldindata.org/life-expectancy

A hundred years ago, we didn't see these kinds of stats. Shouldn't we be asking why?

The danger in focusing on individual culprits - such as benzos - is that we miss the bigger picture: we've created a hyper-toxic world in which many of our choices are leading us directly to cancer.

And in spite of all this toxicity, we have doubled our life expectancy  over the last century  Seems like a pretty good trade-off to me! ::)

https://ourworldindata.org/life-expectancy

I like it too.

Let me also say that in contrast to benzos, alcohol has clearly been linked to cancer. This is for the buddies who consume or have consumed alcohol in large quantities. If anybody wants references, please let me know.

So if a buddy has cancer, these risk factors are more likely contributors than benzos.

Long term benzo use and withdrawal from them can cause HPA axis dysregulaltion as well as weakening of muscless/muscle loss (a well documented symptom). Benzodiazepines are also vestibular suppressants and can cause ongoing issues with dizziness, loss of balance, falls, etc.

Withdrawal can also cause or worsen agoraphobia in many people who have been on benzos long term. All these issues can lead to inactivity, which can lead to obesity and so on. I have personally communicated with quite a few people on these boards who were athletes or were heavily involved in various sports and outdoor activities before a harsh withdrawal hit them hard and they became housebound and bed-bound for very long stretches of time, and they didn't report much in terms of improvements until they were close to being off these drugs or being off of them completely.

When you see a significant minority of people reporting similar troubling problems when discontinuing the same class of drugs, it is not so far-fetched to conclude that such class of drugs has been a significant contributor to what ails them.  Sure, there are many factors, but a person doesn't just go from being active and full of energy and very involved in life to being housebound, bed-bound and unwell. There are many people out there in this world that are obese and have a ton of health problems, yet they don't end up nearly as badly disabled as many of the people I'd met on these boards. If benzos and especially withdrawal from them are capable of doing that to people, it's not so far-fetched that they can cause all sorts of other problems that can directly or indirectly lead to horrible diseases such as cancer.

Long term benzo use and withdrawal from them can cause HPA axis dysregulaltion as well as weakening of muscless/muscle loss (a well documented symptom). Benzodiazepines are also vestibular suppressants and can cause ongoing issues with dizziness, loss of balance, falls, etc.

Withdrawal can also cause or worsen agoraphobia in many people who have been on benzos long term. All these issues can lead to inactivity, which can lead to obesity and so on. I have personally communicated with quite a few people on these boards who were athletes or were heavily involved in various sports and outdoor activities before a harsh withdrawal hit them hard and they became housebound and bed-bound for very long stretches of time, and they didn't report much in terms of improvements until they were close to being off these drugs or being off of them completely.

When you see a significant minority of people reporting similar troubling problems when discontinuing the same class of drugs, it is not so far-fetched to conclude that such class of drugs has been a significant contributor to what ails them.  Sure, there are many factors, but a person doesn't just go from being active and full of energy and very involved in life to being housebound, bed-bound and unwell. There are many people out there in this world that are obese and have a ton of health problems, yet they don't end up nearly as badly disabled as many of the people I'd met on these boards. If benzos and especially withdrawal from them are capable of doing that to people, it's not so far-fetched that they can cause all sorts of other problems that can directly or indirectly lead to horrible diseases such as cancer.

It's not about what is far-fetched or not. It's about whether it's supported by scientific evidence or not. The benzo-cancer connection is not.