“Smile or Die” The Darker Side of Positive Thinking

[mo...]

Trying not to be skeptical, since I know there are very serious implications to very personel perspectives, but I am curious if to be a realist is to be a determinist. I was a philosophy major so I may have a faulty pesrspective on how these terms are being used.

I define being a realist for myself as seeing reality as it is.  For example, have you heard of the story of the emperor with no clothes?  In other words, when it is what it is, it is what it is.

P.S.  Of course, other examples of a realist's *perceptions* of reality are endless.  Just for fun  ;), take also for instance...

rmbjMXh.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Rx...]

• [mo...]

• [Ma...]

• [Bl...]

I define being a realist for myself as seeing reality as it is

Me to, but I am no realist. You see I took the blue pill.

The reality of the horrendous danger of my continued prescriptions was not disclosed to me.  If I'd been informed what was in store for me, the realist I am would never have set foot in my former doctor's office in the first place.

The reality of the horrendous danger of my continued prescriptions was not disclosed to me.  If I'd been informed what was in store for me, the realist I am would never have set foot in my former doctor's office in the first place.

The 'reality' is that they don't do that , so I don't get "the realist" expectation of it

The 'reality' is that they don't do that , so I don't get "the realist" expectation of it

MattNapa, I stand by my unquoted words above here and above.  I've survived the danger and barely at times.  I do not care to debate the reality I've endured.  Look at all the suffering on this forum from those initially prescribed benzodiazepines for an extended time.  You wrote you are not a realist.  I wrote I am.  Have a nice day. 

Point untaken since I have no idea what it was, other than you seem to enjoy applying the the term realist to yourself.

The question of mine that you chose to respond to was explicitly about about how these terms are applied in the context of philosophy. Your reponse had now bearing on the philosophical context. End of story

I define being a realist for myself as seeing reality as it is

Me to, but I am no realist. You see I took the blue pill.

I too see things from the view of what really is there….exists. For instance the sky is blue=that’s reality. At times the sky turns different colors due to dust particles in the atmosphere…our beautiful sunsets are the result=that’s reality.

Paradise, California was a town but no longer is. That is reality. Will it ever be the same town?

Paradise Lost….Paradise Restored….it WILL happen. Only not the way some might think or begin to fathom.

Just as the sky envelops the earth, so too Paradise will someday, in the not too distant future, envelop the entire earth. That’s reality and not the fabrication from a fanciful imagination. Not to say I don’t have an imagination…I do. :)

*An interesting excerpt on our stunning sunsets here on earth.

When there is more dust in the atmosphere, such as from volcanic action, sunsets are even more colorful.

g87 12/8 pp. 16-17 - Awake!—1987

Point untaken since I have no idea what it was, other than you seem to enjoy applying the the term realist to yourself. Have a nice day

RXdamaged said

I do not care to debate the reality I've endured.

Matt replies

I have asked you nothing of the sort

Again, I really hope you are having a nice day, MattNapa.  Take care.

BlueRose said

I too see things from the view of what really is there….exists. For instance the sky is blue=that’s reality. At times the sky turns different colors due to dust particles in the atmosphere…our beautiful sunsets are the result=that’s reality.

Actually you, and all the rest of us, have the experience of what is called seeing a blue sky. It is a mediated experience not an epiphany

BlueRose said

Actually you, and all the rest of us, have the experience of what is called seeing a blue sky. It is a mediated experience not an epiphany

I agree!!!

I doubt any reasonable realist has any issue with positivity in and of itself.  I think for most, including myself, it is about attempts to control others and arguing with reality. 

I doubt any reasonable realist has any issue with positivity in and of itself.  I think for most, including myself, it is about attempts to control others and arguing with reality.

Well said RxDamaged. The reality of things can be too painful to cope with. I understand wanting to erase my benzo history...as an example. It's EXTREMELY painful. But realistically I am having to accept the "new me". Do I like it...NO!

I am working on digging myself out of this negative pit....but, seriously, when I see the level of suffering/damage that these drugs have created....well, what can I say :'( Words can't due this subject (benzo's) justice.

Reading people's experiences definitely is part of the healing process. We are real people here...and we are not going anywhere for a while from all appearances.

BlueRose said

I agree!!!

Matt replies

Good. I am so tired of arguing over a subject that is generally irrelevant and one I probably never should have started. I still think the positivity angle is potentially controversial, but the philiosophical context of  the word realist really has nothing to do with it. This is the kind of problem you get when someone is foolish enough to major in such a bizzare subject

Well said RxDamaged. The reality of things can be too painful to cope with. I understand wanting to erase my benzo history...as an example. It's EXTREMELY painful. But realistically I am having to accept the "new me". Do I like it...NO!

I am working on digging myself out of this negative pit....but, seriously, when I see the level of suffering/damage that these drugs have created....well, what can I say :'( Words can't due this subject (benzo's) justice.

Reading people's experiences definitely is part of the healing process. We are real people here...and we are not going anywhere for a while from all appearances.

Thank you for the compliment, BlueRose

I view worry and suffering shared on a support forum much differently than "negative".  I hope you can see a light at the end of the tunnel from your digging sooner rather than later. 

BlueRose said

I agree!!!

Matt replies

Good. I am so tired of arguing over a subject that is generally irrelevant and one I probably never should have started. I still think the positivity angle is potentially controversial, but the philosophical context of  the word realist really has nothing to do with it. This is the kind of problem you get when someone is foolish enough to major in such a bizzare subject

When in Junior College in the 1970's I took a Philosophy course and can still see the instructor in my mind's eye to this day. He tried to levitate the class but I just couldn't seem to go along with the program. :) I did try. But the terminology/concepts were beyond me.

He definitely had a "glow" about him. ;D I probably managed to get a C grade. I passed for the sake of survival. School was my job at the time. Either I went and passed or I didn't get to eat my plate of beans. Better than not eating, of course. :P

Thank you for the compliment, BlueRose

I view worry and suffering shared on a support forum much differently than "negative".  I hope you can see a light at the end of the tunnel from your digging sooner rather than later.

Thank you Rx. Yes, I am seeing light at the end of the tunnel. I have been seeing some light ever since I began the rocky process of getting off of these drugs. That is definitely positive...seeing the light and getting off of these drugs!!!!

I think there is more light getting off of them than staying on them.........I realize that is another whole controversial subject. And who knows, if I was unable to taper off of them due to adverse symptoms, I might have remained on them. Frightening thought...but that is reality.

And it is a positive thing when one realized they are not alone in this very misunderstood mess the we have landed in. Who would have thought?? Not me! I never envisioned being in this setting....not in a trillion/trillion years. ;D But, yet, here we are. How strange is that?

Thank you Rx. Yes, I am seeing light at the end of the tunnel. I have been seeing some light ever since I began the rocky process of getting off of these drugs. That is definitely positive...seeing the light and getting off of these drugs!!!!

Yay for the light!  :clap:  Yay for freedom!  May the light keep shining through for you.

Yay for the light!  :clap:  Yay for freedom!  May the light keep shining through for you.

I'm always thinking about the "light"...I'm so tethered to this benzo process.

Who I am today, as based on this unique experience, has been a real education for me. And I have, and still am, learning things that I would never have learned/experienced if not for this wild and crazy journey.

When I need an attitude adjustment(that's often :-[), I think about how something so painful like benzo w/d can make for a better person.

Empathy definitely gets a work-out. This horrific process has a good side effect of encouraging fellow feeling. Not to say any of this is easy...benzo w/d. :P

I appreciate everyone on benzo buddies. I might not agree with certain things I read...but such disagreements can be quickly squelched if I/we remember what brought us here in the first place.

I'm always thinking about the "light"...I'm so tethered to this benzo process.

Who I am today, as based on this unique experience, has been a real education for me. And I have, and still am, learning things that I would never have learned/experienced if not for this wild and crazy journey.

When I need an attitude adjustment(that's often :-[), I think about how something so painful like benzo w/d can make for a better person.

Empathy definitely gets a work-out. This horrific process has a good side effect of encouraging fellow feeling. Not to say any of this is easy...benzo w/d. :P

I appreciate everyone on benzo buddies. I might not agree with certain things I read...but such disagreements can be quickly squelched if I/we remember what brought us here in the first place.

I view benzodiazepine related suffering as needless suffering.  If this ordeal is a wake up call for anyone in regards to the need for empathy and caring in this world, what a shame one would have to learn this way.  It is not only about the personal suffering, but the additional needless burden put on anyone who truly helps and cares for us while we are too sick to care for ourselves. 

Re disagreements, I don't think disagreements are as much of an issue as disrespect is.  I can respect differing opinions and civil debates.  I cannot appreciate disrespect and shows of unprovoked hostility. 

I view benzodiazepine related suffering as needless suffering.  If this ordeal is a wake up call for anyone in regards to the need for empathy and caring in this world, what a shame one would have to learn this way.  It is not only about the personal suffering, but the additional needless burden put on anyone who truly helps and cares for us while we are too sick to care for ourselves. 

Re disagreements, I don't think disagreements are as much of an issue as disrespect is.  I can respect differing opinions and civil debates.  I cannot appreciate disrespect and shows of unprovoked hostility.

That's right, RxD.  A lot more people need to learn to disagree without being disagreeable.  Just because somebody has a differing opinion doesn't mean they're your enemy and you must engage in battle.  You're definitely a civil debater, RxD.

I would hope those who have judgements of others would actually direct such criticsms to their target and not couch them all gift wraped in the meanderings to others.