Teva Clonazepam Discontinued Group

[Sc...]

I switched over to the new Teva .5  today. I was using Accord.  - my day.  Feel sick and withdrawal symptoms. I did a direct switch. What should I do. Is this normal. Should I go back?  Please help.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [In...]

• [Du...]

• [NJ...]

• [Li...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, Nomorebenzos2.  I am sorry you are feeling sick.  I did a direct switch from brand Klonopin to the “new” Teva 0.5mgs and had no issues.  Other members have done a more gradual switch, also without issues.

How long have you been taking the Accords?  Were you doing ok on them?  If so, why did you switch to Teva? 

If you were doing ok on the Accords and can switch back to them, that’s what I would do.

Another option to consider is to do a more gradual switchover (assuming you have enough Accords to do so).

If neither of the above is an option, then I’d give the Tevas several more days. Switching manufacturers can cause an uptick in anxiety for some individuals.  This, in turn, can exacerbate other issues.  Do you think this might be the case for you? 

It may be that you just need to give your body a little time to adjust.  As far as I know, everyone who has switched to the 0.5mg Tevas has been OK.

I switched because I was having to cut 2mg pills.  The other .5 and 1mg by accord are like sugar pills.  I will take your advice and gradually switch over.  If anybody else has had problems switching to a different generic brand of Klonopin please let me know.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi All, I finally got my 1mg ‘new Tevas’ and have been on them for one week after being on Par ODT. My sleep is decent, but I feel a bit irritable, anxious and groggy/foggy. How long does it take to adjust to these new Tevas? I am so sick and tired of being sick and tired! Thanks to all.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I really need some help with switching to new teva .5 mgs.

I’ve been on old teva but I was taking 1/2 of the 1 mg pill.

I’ve never been on more than .5. Here’s where it gets tricky. I’ve been tapering from the .5 (broken in half of the old teva). I’m down to .053. I started with the weight (of half the pill) of .083.

Now I have to switch to new teva .5 but of course this is confusing because with the scale you don’t know the percentage.

I’m not sure if there’s a way to figure out the percentage?

I’ll be switching to the whole .5 tablet and need to know how much to reduce it by. The 1 mg pill and the .5 are around the same weight but obviously the amount or concentration is different, if that makes sense.

If anyone could help me with this or know where I can find help, I’d so appreciate it! Pharmacist hasn’t been helpful and they’re a compounding place. He doesn’t get the tapering thing.

Hi All,

I really need some help with switching to new teva .5 mgs.

I’ve been on old teva but I was taking 1/2 of the 1 mg pill.

I’ve never been on more than .5. Here’s where it gets tricky. I’ve been tapering from the .5 (broken in half of the old teva). I’m down to .053. I started with the weight (of half the pill) of .083.

Now I have to switch to new teva .5 but of course this is confusing because with the scale you don’t know the percentage.

I’m not sure if there’s a way to figure out the percentage?

I’ll be switching to the whole .5 tablet and need to know how much to reduce it by. The 1 mg pill and the .5 are around the same weight but obviously the amount or concentration is different, if that makes sense.

If anyone could help me with this or know where I can find help, I’d so appreciate it! Pharmacist hasn’t been helpful and they’re a compounding place. He doesn’t get the tapering thing.

If they are approximately the same weight, wouldn't you need to double the weight of the pill you are taking now since it is half the strength?

So like 0.106? The new pill total weight is .176 and a whole of the old pill is .163.

I think you you might be right. This is a better answer than I was coming up with.

Thank you!

Wisdom,

I am switching from brand back to the .5 mg of teva and not experiencing any issues.

How long have you been on the new Teva? Still doing good? Thanks.

I have a fairly large supply of the original Teva .5 mg. When Teva reintroduced the old formula, I had my script changed to it, but was leary and continued taking my old pills. Yesterday, I finally decided to try the new version and was completely psychotic by the end of the day.

Everyone else seems to shift easily, even from other brands. Not sure...Might be a coincidence. About three or four days ago I tried taking activated charcoal for hiatal hernia. Not realizing it could take meds out of your stomach before it gets to your bloodstream, I took both doses at the same time I took the K; so perhaps what happened yesterday was just a delayed reaction, since K does have a 35 hour half life.

Will try again when I stabilize.

Activated charcoal completely threw me into intense withdrawal when I was tapering.  It’s extremely potent and will remove klonopin very quickly.  It’s like a CT.  I’m sure that’s what happened.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I know this is a Teva discontinued group....I just found out the Mylan .5 mg is discontinued....

What is the "new" Teva named.... when I called local pharmacies to see if they had a mylan supply, I didn't even hear about Teva, it was mostly Accord, and I hear accord is a sugar pill

If anyone knows any excess supply of mylan (at a walmart pharmacy for example), let me know.  I'm weaning down and would rather not switch. 

• 1 month later...

My first cross from brand to Teva awhile back ended up failing.  My sleep disappeared, agitation and muscle problems, benzo belly...  ugh.  Anyway, Im trying again, and the same things are popping back up.  Im going to try to stick with it and hope I improve over the next weeks.

HOw are you guys doing on this now?  Did most of you settle down ok and back to regular function?  This thread was pretty much put to rest it looks like, no replies in awhile.  I'm sorry to ask this, I know it sounds weak and desperate.  Any encouragement you can offer I will love you forever right now, I am just really struggling and not sure I am doing the right thing...

If I could just sleep, I can deal with the rest.  I got 2 hrs of fuzzy consciousness sleep last night, thats it.  I find myself rocking back and forth in bed almost nonstop, its like my body wants to keep moving.  It's so hard to relax and stop moving long enough to fall asleep.

Jordan,

Sorry you are not sleeping, as that makes everything worse.

I think the forum in general is quiet and anyone who was going to cross has already done so as the Teva's have been back a while.

I am on the .5 mg and switching from brand (which I went to when the .5 mg Tevas were unavailable) was no issue for me. I still use the brand sometimes as .25 mg of my dose simply because I have a lot left, and no problem when I do that vs. all teva for the dose.

Unfortunately, everyone is different. I am also not tapering right now. Feel better soon.

Thank you so much for your reply NJStrength.  Im so glad youre doing ok with this, its a relief to hear!  I am so emotional from this mess I am sitting here crying right now reading your post.  You have no idea how much it means to me that you replied.  I am pretty isolated and dealing with this myself these days. 

JordanLives:  Can you tell us the month and year when you made your first attempt to cross from brand Klonopin to Teva generic clonazepam?  What I’m trying to get at is whether or not your attempt was before or after Teva started manufacturing its original formulation again.

PS fwiw, I had the same experience as NJStrength. I had no problems switching from brand to the 0.5mg Teva generic tablets.

JordanLives:  Can you tell us the month and year when you made your first attempt to cross from brand Klonopin to Teva generic clonazepam?  What I’m trying to get at is whether or not your attempt was before or after Teva started manufacturing its original formulation again.

PS fwiw, I had the same experience as NJStrength. I had no problems switching from brand to the 0.5mg Teva generic tablets.

Jordan, also are you using 1 mg pills or .5 mg. I don't know if there might be a difference. Based on your signature, if you are using 1 mg maybe you should try two .5s per each dose, or vice versa.

Thank you Libertas for your reply.  My first attempt from brand to teva was back in january of this year.  It was with the new pills that they put back out last year.  For the first week I was somewhat ok, then I got worse as I changed doses 2 and 3.  I take it 4 times per day.  I never changed dose 4, i had to turn back.  For whatever reason the teva is not working the same in my body as the brand does.  Maybe because of my high dose.  Im just so tired.  fwiw this time i have fully crossed over within a few days.  I wanted to make sure what i was feeling was the teva.

I;m really glad to hear you are doing ok as well.  Love you for posting.

NJStrength Im using the 1mg pills.  I saw some suggestion that the 0.5's might work better.  I actually mentioned it to my pdoc but he wouldnt prescrive it to me as 0.5mg 8x/day.  I think he said insurance doesn't allow it or something.

thanks again for your replies NJ and Libertas.  I'm going to lay in bed for awhile.  I know im in a tough spot, and just appreciate your replies so much.  :smitten:

You are welcome, JordanLives.  Thank you for sharing more info with us.  My recollection is that we have one member who had issues with the “new” 1mg Teva tablets but she gutted it out and they resolved. 

You are not alone in having a pdoc who is uncomfortable with prescribing a higher number of tablets at a lower dose even though the total equivalent dose is the same.  My guess (and it’s just a guess) is that higher pill counts trigger flags in monitoring systems for controlled drug prescriptions.

Libertas I agree with your idea that it triggers flags, thats the impression I gt from my pdoc but I got that impression,

Thanks again you two.  I'll stop by tomorrow or next to let you know how Im doing.  I pray I sleep tonight.