My experience on Buspar

[...]

[90...]

Not yet! But I will. I really don't think it had to do with the D* because I learned that the reason you can get D* from Mag is if your cells cannot accept the extra Mag then it gets discarded into your colon, but if you are using the lotion then any extra would be discarded into your urine. But I could see that if you used the combo then the pill one might get discarded faster. Anyway, I will try it again in a few days, I couldn't handle another whole day of D* right now  :laugh:

I'll let you know how it goes!

the pills give me the D, however the magnesium spray on oil

https://au.iherb.com/pr/Life-Flo-Health-Life-Flor-Magnesium-Oil-Spray-Plus-Aloe-Vera-8-fl-oz-237-ml/71954

is great and helps my magnesium level according to blood tests for me.

:smitten:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [...]

• [Ol...]

• [Gr...]

• [Sa...]

Top Posters In This Topic

this has been such an active discussion on Magnesium, I think I will start a new post on it called - "Cast your vote - Withdrawal Symptoms reduced or worse on Magnesium"

:smitten:

Magnesium -

Good topic for new thread Bob.  Magnesium helps me with sxs and I tend to believe my Dr in that my body is depleted of this. 

I am on day 26 of tapering 0.001 mg per day from Klonopin.

Current level of Klonopin is 0.099 mg.

I don't know if it is just too much home and work stress, but lately my anxiety has increased and it killed my sleep last night.

So today I took Buspar again.  Have not touch it for 2 weeks.  I only took 4 mg but within 2 hours, my anxiety was way lower.

I think I will take it for a few more days, only in the mornings, and we will see if my sleep improves and anxiety goes down.

Thank you so much for the play by play! It is really helpful in deciding whether I want to take it or not. Haven't decided yet. Anxiety has been generally pretty low the last few weeks but today it spiked for no reason, no cuts or new supplements or external changes. So weird.

Here is my 3rd experience on Buspar.

I have maintained my 0.001 mg per day taper off of Klonopin for over a month now.

About a week ago, I had terrible increase in work and home stress so my anxiety peaked and I was having withdrawal symptom troubles.

I started Buspar (very little, just 3.75mg in morning) and it did keep the withdrawal symptoms tolerable.

Now that the work/home stress is over, I stopped the Buspar with no significant issues.

I do think it helps me stay on my taper, even when times get hard.

• 2 weeks later...

Bob,

Did you ever start that thread on magnesium?

I will chime in and say magnesium has made a significantly positive impact on my symptoms.  Sleep, nausea especially!

If anyone is having issues with diarrhea you may be taking the wrong kind of magnesium.  There are many different ways to chelate magnesium.  Magnesium oxide, magnesium chloride, magnesium glycinate, magnesium threonate, magnesium malate.  I believe the oxide and chloride varieties are what are used in OTC for constipation like Milk of Magnesia.  Hence, the diarrhea.  Magnesium glycinate is for more general magnesium deficiency and does not cause diarrhea. It is more expensive

than oxide and chloride but it has higher absorption percentage. I use Doctor’s Best High Absorption Magnesium. 

Another magnesium that is newer is magnesium threonate.  I am hesitant to try because it crosses

the blood brain barrier.  I’m just skittish of anything that crosses the BBB these days. But it may be promising.

I stumbled on all of this when I happened to take a calcium with minerals supplement a couple months ago at a time I was only getting about 1hour sleep per night.  All of a sudden I was getting

4 hours per night!  So I started reading up on it.  A friend told me they used to give magnesium to the

horses (very high strung animals). 

Makes me wonder why our docs didn’t give us magnesium instead of benzo for sleep or anxiety...

Instead of benzos!

I am not even close to an expert here.  So please read up and make your own decisions.

I agree, Magnesium Glycinate seems to work best with my body and I noticed a big change when I started taking it. The brand My ND recommended is Pure Encapsulations, and I really like it.

• 1 month later...

HI Bob7 , I'm hoping this thread is still active?

My psychiatrist who I just started seeing suggested I try buspar to help my K taper as I'm having such a hard time with it. I like your approach of intermittent use when needed.  I don;t need another dependency!

I'm reluctant to add another med , but honestly my taper has been such a nightmare and I'm getting nowhere, I'm thinking of giving it a try ,

How come it affected your sleep ? YOu didn;t find it sedating then obviously. Does it have antidepressant effects also do you think?

I have a lot of burning pain and I'm hoping maybe the Buspar could help with that , also the stress intolerance.

My taper has been stuck for too long and I need to try and figure out something that might at least allow me a slow taper .

I will check out your mag thread too as I have started taking 200 mgs mag malate , I feel the calming effect of it quite a bit .

SOme people say yo uhave to taper off mag because it affects gaba receptors..... but hey , I'd rather take mag for teh rest of my life, at least it's doing my body some good .

Hope you see tis message , or I'll try and track you down somewhere else in the forum  :)

MiYu

My psychiatrist who I just started seeing suggested I try buspar to help my K taper as I'm having such a hard time with it. I like your approach of intermittent use when needed.  I don;t need another dependency!

I'm reluctant to add another med , but honestly my taper has been such a nightmare and I'm getting nowhere, I'm thinking of giving it a try ,

How come it affected your sleep ? YOu didn;t find it sedating then obviously. Does it have antidepressant effects also do you think?

I have a lot of burning pain and I'm hoping maybe the Buspar could help with that , also the stress intolerance.

My taper has been stuck for too long and I need to try and figure out something that might at least allow me a slow taper .

I will check out your mag thread too as I have started taking 200 mgs mag malate , I feel the calming effect of it quite a bit .

SOme people say yo uhave to taper off mag because it affects gaba receptors..... but hey , I'd rather take mag for teh rest of my life, at least it's doing my body some good .

Hope you see tis message , or I'll try and track you down somewhere else in the forum  :)

MiYu

Hi MiYu,

I am not sure if it affected my sleep or if I was just having Klonopin Withdrawal insomnia. 

All I know is I tried it once at bedtime and my sleep was very poor so from then on, I just took in the mornings.  It seems like it should help with sleep but I didn't want to test it again.

I do believe it reduced my anxiety which then let my chest muscles have a break which then cured my chest pains.  I also think other anxiety issues were reduced.

While it took a few days for the anxiety reduction benefits to kick in, I did notice right away (within 2 hours of taking it), a little light headed, kind of peaceful feeling.

I used it 3 times during my taper to "take the edge off".  I only used it for a week or two each time.

I hope it gives you some relief.  I used it to "stay on my taper".  Without it, I would have probably updosed or held much, much longer.

MiYu

Hi MiYu,

I am not sure if it affected my sleep or if I was just having Klonopin Withdrawal insomnia. 

All I know is I tried it once at bedtime and my sleep was very poor so from then on, I just took in the mornings.  It seems like it should help with sleep but I didn't want to test it again.

I do believe it reduced my anxiety which then let my chest muscles have a break which then cured my chest pains.  I also think other anxiety issues were reduced.

While it took a few days for the anxiety reduction benefits to kick in, I did notice right away (within 2 hours of taking it), a little light headed, kind of peaceful feeling.

I used it 3 times during my taper to "take the edge off".  I only used it for a week or two each time.

I hope it gives you some relief.  I used it to "stay on my taper".  Without it, I would have probably updosed or held much, much longer.

thanks Bob , I do hope it can help me in some way as I am pretty stuck in my taper . Too many nervous system symptoms foe me , not so much anxiety , mine are nearly all physical.

Good luck , you are almost there!

MiYu

Day 8 on Buspar 10 mg.  First few days, it made me extremely sleepy but did help the anxiety.

I have found if I take it with food, the negative effect is not so bad.  Pharmacist said approx 3 weeks

to get full potential.  It is supposed to be non-addictive and doesn't interfere with the Valium I am

taking.  Anxiety is definitely better with it.  It allows me to go longer between the Valium dose.  :/

HERE ARE SOME REAL RESULTS OF MY BUSPAR STUDY:

So this is my second day back on Buspar (just 3.75mg in morning) and I do think it is doing something significant for me.  It is not a cure for symptoms but it reduces the symptoms enough so I can continue my taper.  Here is why I say this.

First experiment.  I was very sick with symptoms even after about 7 weeks of holding.  I started Buspar and within a week, I was ready to begin tapering again.  It wasn't a clear fix.  I still am not sure if it was the Buspar so just holding another week.

Second experiment.  I starting tapering again (after the 8 week hold just described) but I had stopped the Buspar.  The taper was only 0.001 mg per day Klonopin.  By the 7th day, my lower back was killing me, my chest was acting funny (not pain yet but funny), my burping was crazy, and my anxiety was up.  The symptoms were getting so bad I was considering stopping my taper and holding.

But first, I tried the Buspar again.  These last 2 days on Buspar have made things tolerable - good enough to continue my taper of Klonopin.

So, to everyone, Buspar is not a complete fix of my symptoms.  However, it does reduce the symptoms to a tolerable level so I can continue my taper.  I think that is very important so I can continue my progress of getting off the Klonopin.

I plan to continue this study.  Stopping and Starting Buspar such that I can continue my taper with tolerable symptoms.

Bob, my worst sxs is terrible back and neck pain trying to slowly dlmt valium.  I do pt, walk , get acupressure, massage....and very little help.  I read in your post your back pain was coming back and it helped you.  Do you think I should look 👀 into it?  Of course I will research first.  Just tired of being in pain :(

HERE ARE SOME REAL RESULTS OF MY BUSPAR STUDY:

So this is my second day back on Buspar (just 3.75mg in morning) and I do think it is doing something significant for me.  It is not a cure for symptoms but it reduces the symptoms enough so I can continue my taper.  Here is why I say this.

First experiment.  I was very sick with symptoms even after about 7 weeks of holding.  I started Buspar and within a week, I was ready to begin tapering again.  It wasn't a clear fix.  I still am not sure if it was the Buspar so just holding another week.

Second experiment.  I starting tapering again (after the 8 week hold just described) but I had stopped the Buspar.  The taper was only 0.001 mg per day Klonopin.  By the 7th day, my lower back was killing me, my chest was acting funny (not pain yet but funny), my burping was crazy, and my anxiety was up.  The symptoms were getting so bad I was considering stopping my taper and holding.

But first, I tried the Buspar again.  These last 2 days on Buspar have made things tolerable - good enough to continue my taper of Klonopin.

So, to everyone, Buspar is not a complete fix of my symptoms.  However, it does reduce the symptoms to a tolerable level so I can continue my taper.  I think that is very important so I can continue my progress of getting off the Klonopin.

I plan to continue this study.  Stopping and Starting Buspar such that I can continue my taper with tolerable symptoms.

Bob, my worst sxs is terrible back and neck pain trying to slowly dlmt valium.  I do pt, walk , get acupressure, massage....and very little help.  I read in your post your back pain was coming back and it helped you.  Do you think I should look 👀 into it?  Of course I will research first.  Just tired of being in pain :(

I think it’s worth looking into-I do not think it’s addictive at all so what’s the harm in trying it.  I think it helped my pain go away faster .

[af...]

I started  Clonazepan 1 mg and Buspar 5 mg after two really bad previous months  :'(. Buspar gives me dizziness after half hour, mainly in the morning. I learn that you have to take it twice a day at the same time and in the same way (with food or without). Sometimes I notice it makes me feel more anxious. I've been tapering the clonazepan since April and taking the buspar at the same time. It's known too that if you took benzos for a long time Buspar is not going to do anything for you.

I'm stuck with it now because im tapering the Clonazepan and don't want to quit both drugs at the same time. I wouldn't know what medicine with cause what  symptoms. My advice is that the lesser you take the better. Use some other coping alternatives instead of a new drug. Good Luck!  :thumbsup:

Thank you.  L'Theanine has helped me ... but I've on here that it's not a good idea ??

I’ve never tried it-what does it help? I’m curious if it helps anxiety.

Yes .. it helps the anxiety.  I take 100 mg.  It comes in larger dose but the 100 mgs works for me.  If i get jiggy before time for the valium ..the L'Theanine chills me out.  L'Theanine is made from tea.