Important Survey - Please Participate ×

It's me again! Help with Plan - 19 years on X tapering from 5 mgs

[Lo...]

Lori

Really 2.25. Awesome. I’m sure your sleep has suffered. Take hot baths with Epsom salts. Write letters. Find something to do. Sleep comes back. Also we don’t find our old selves after 20 years on this. We find new thankful selves. That are so happy to be free of medication.

I can’t wait for you to experience this. It’s fantastic. I’m so happy being off.

Keep plugging along. You are doing great.

Kristin

Hey Matt how are you?  Almost done huh.

Hi Kristin Thanks for asking I am going pretty slow really I could be trying to go faster but am a little afraid of tinnitus jumping up It is already up a bit and am hoping to keep it from going higher Who knows ifIam right about it or not I hope to cut again this week. Still can't make up my mind on a crossover Kind of waiting to get through at least December without rocking the boat Also have a full time job now plus extra side jobs so I have some money to try some alternative therapy stuff

Very glad you are well

Best to you

Matt

Matt, you're doing GREAT!  Keep going at whatever pace your comfortable with!  It's not about how fast we go, it's about making progress and eventually crossing the finish line! 

I made a cut yesterday to 2.0.  Fingers crossed that this cut is tolerable as I'm coming off of 5 days of feeling REALLY GOOD!  :)  Thanks to Kristin for the motivation to keep going.

Hugs to all! 

Lori

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Lo...]

• [Bn...]

• [Ma...]

• [to...]

Top Posters In This Topic

He Lori

How are you. You are doing fantastic!!!  Rocking the taper. You are so much lower than when you started. I’m so proud of you. If you need to hold it’s the holidays. Thinking of you!

Matt

Go at your own speed. We all know ourselves better than anyone. Looking great though.

Kristin

He Lori

How are you. You are doing fantastic!!!  Rocking the taper. You are so much lower than when you started. I’m so proud of you. If you need to hold it’s the holidays. Thinking of you!

Matt

Go at your own speed. We all know ourselves better than anyone. Looking great though.

Kristin

Thanks, Kristin!

For some reason this cut to 2.0 had really hit me.  Don't get me wrong, it's not unbearable but not pleasant either.  But I do understand what you were talking about many months ago that you actually felt better in some respects the lower you got.  My symptoms now are mostly physical (insomnia, tight muscles, GI issues, etc.) but almost no anxiety or panic at all.  Ironic how the latter two were my EVERYDAY symptoms while on 5-6 mgs.  Proof right there that it was this insidious drug!

I think I'm still going to hold here at 2.0 for another week, and then do much smaller cuts from this point forward. 

So glad to hear that you're doing so well!  I'll be in touch soon!

Many hugs!

Lori

Lori

Really 2.25. Awesome. I’m sure your sleep has suffered. Take hot baths with Epsom salts. Write letters. Find something to do. Sleep comes back. Also we don’t find our old selves after 20 years on this. We find new thankful selves. That are so happy to be free of medication.

I can’t wait for you to experience this. It’s fantastic. I’m so happy being off.

Keep plugging along. You are doing great.

Kristin

Hey Matt how are you?  Almost done huh.

Hi Kristin Thanks for asking I am going pretty slow really I could be trying to go faster but am a little afraid of tinnitus jumping up It is already up a bit and am hoping to keep it from going higher Who knows ifIam right about it or not I hope to cut again this week. Still can't make up my mind on a crossover Kind of waiting to get through at least December without rocking the boat Also have a full time job now plus extra side jobs so I have some money to try some alternative therapy stuff

Very glad you are well

Best to you

Matt

Hi Matt!  Just checking in to see how you're doing.  Hopefully all is moving along and you're feeling well.  I'm still doing the dry cut.  A bit slower than I had hoped but I keep thinking that as long as I'm doing it, it doesn't matter how slow.  I'm finally slightly below 2 mgs.  I haven't been on this low of a dose in over 10 years!!!  WOW!

Symptoms are mostly physical... not pleasant but not unbearable.  Like everyone else, I'm hanging in there.  Hope you are as well.  :)

Lori

Hi Lori So glad you are continuing to make progress and that you seem to have some patience for the process I hope you have had some progress with weight loss. that issue continues to plague me with seemingly just strange periods where i will lose a couple of pounds in just a couple of days while eating relatively normally So at the moment I have still been eating sugary junk as part of my diet.

Things could be worse, but it is just frustrating to be unable to  eat healthy foods which should be something under my control I did get a quality coconut oil which I had problems with earlier but I think it was a cheap, perhaps expired oil. Butter does not seem to agree with me.

I am doing some neurofeedback which think is helping Also it is good to be getting near the solstice and heading towards longer days. I have been waiting to get to January to consider my switch over to Valium It is almost a little sad since this thread has always kind of for the straight Xanax taperer's but I hope to still post here since this thread has had a life of its own for awhile. Certainly I am attached to you and your story

Hoping the holidays go well for you

Matt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Lori So glad you are continuing to make progress and that you seem to have some patience for the process I hope you have had some progress with weight loss. that issue continues to plague me with seemingly just strange periods where i will lose a couple of pounds in just a couple of days while eating relatively normally So at the moment I have still been eating sugary junk as part of my diet.

Things could be worse, but it is just frustrating to be unable to  eat healthy foods which should be something under my control I did get a quality coconut oil which I had problems with earlier but I think it was a cheap, perhaps expired oil. Butter does not seem to agree with me.

I am doing some neurofeedback which think is helping Also it is good to be getting near the solstice and heading towards longer days. I have been waiting to get to January to consider my switch over to Valium It is almost a little sad since this thread has always kind of for the straight Xanax taperer's but I hope to still post here since this thread has had a life of its own for awhile. Certainly I am attached to you and your story

Hoping the holidays go well for you

Matt

Hi Matt!  Sorry I haven't checked in lately.  I've been battling a nasty cold for almost two weeks now that has really but a hold on my taper!  So frustrating.  Glad that you're hanging in there.  For me, Valium was not an option.  I tried it a few years ago when I was all set and ready to take on the taper following the Ashton method because quite frankly, it's the only way I knew how to taper and my doctor didn't have a clue!  Well... I took one 5mg table of Valium without even reducing my Xanax dose.  I was so afraid of drugs at that point, after so much research and just finding out how badly Xanax had affected my body over two decades.  After that ONE dose of Valium, I did not sleep for 4 days straight!  I went into a depression like I've never experienced.  Keep in mind that throughout this whole ordeal I've never suffered from depression.  Anxiety? Yes!  Anger at the doctors who prescribed this poison to me?  Yes!  But never depression or suicidal ideation.  It was horrible.  By the end of the 4th day, it lifted completely.  I looked back over those four days in state of shock!  To make a long story short, I waited two weeks thinking (even hoping) that it was all in my head.  That somehow I had done that to myself.  I needed to believe that because at the time, without Ashton, what other option did I have?  I had never heard of dry cutting or that it was even possible.  So, two weeks later I took 2.5 mgs of Valium and the same exact thing happened.  This time for two days!  I guess it made sense... 1/2 the dose, have the time for the symptoms to go away. 

I was so discouraged.  I literally cried out of panic and hopelessness for two weeks.  Apparently I had a paradoxical reaction to Valium.  At that point I was devastated!  My doctor wanted me to regroup, take some time to calm down and figure out a different path.  He even gave me scripts for Klonopin and Mitz.  I never took either of them.  They're still in a drawer in my room.  Hence, my taper has taken this long.  I gradually cut out 2 mgs on my own over the course of a year or so until I finally got serious and found some people on here who had done a direct taper. 

Please know that the subset of us who have this reaction to Valium is VERY SMALL which is why Ashton remains on the of the best methods.  I don't want to plant my experience in your head that it will be yours if you choose to go that route.  If it makes your taper a bit easier than I'm all for it.  Whatever works!  :)

On that note, Please keep in touch!  Don't think for a minute that we don't care or don't want to know how you're doing regardless of the method you choose.  The most important thing is that we all get off this drug.  It's not a matter of how, it's that we do.  Additionally, you've been a great source of support for so many.  I'd hate to lose contact with you. 

Take care and keep us updated!  Wishing you the absolute best!

Fondly,

Lori

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Making a small cut today.  5%.  Hoping to move along now at a steady pace!  Sick with a cold and then sinus infection for over a month really railroaded my taper!  Time to pick myself, brush off, and resume! 

How is everyone doing?

Lori

Lori

Good luck with that cold. I had it too. It does get better. This is your year!!!!

Kristin

Thanks, Kristin!  My year certainly didn't start off well but I'm back in the saddle again!  Talk to you soon!  Miss you!

• 3 weeks later...

This poor thread that was once my lifeline.  :-\

Oh well, I'll keep it going by writing to myself.  Hopefully some of my former buddies will chime in. 

Cutting to 1.5 today.  Fingers crossed! :thumbsup:

Hope all are doing well!

Fondly,

Lori

Hi Lori,

My name is Julia, I am here!  It would be nice to have someone to talk to.  I have been tapering since Jan 11, 2019. I started at 3.5 mg Xanax.  It caused me so many medical problems.  The usual headaches, blurred vision, memory loss, stomach discomfort etc.  The 1st month I cut .25 mg Xanax, second month another .25 mg and starting yesterday, starting the third month, another .25mg so I am down to 2.75mg.  I have to say I am not feeling that great today but I did a lot physically yesterday and the day before so that could be why I am not feeling so great.  I am going to see how I do today and tomorrow to determine if it is the taper or too much physical activity.

I wanted to know if I am reading what you have written correctly, are you tapering .25 mg every 2 weeks?  I want to go a little faster than I am but was not sure if it would mess me up.  I have been told on here that I am going too fast as it is but I have no clue what I should be doing.  My psychiatrist said go down by .50 mg the first month and then go down another the second month etc. but I felt that was too much for me.

I hope you are doing good.  I would really appreciate some advice and encouragement.

Julia

I started a new thread since this one is quite lengthy and quiet a few who were on here over the past year or so have completed their taper. 

Here is the name of the new thread under "General Taper Plans"

LT High dose Xanax direct taper 1/2 way there!

I hope we can all continue on that thread as it's only one page long. But I'd love to keep this alive for reference on taper plans and the successes that many have had!  Kristen, SeakingPeace, etc.  :)  However, since many of us still have a ways to go, starting a new thread might be beneficial to us all.

Wishing us all the very best!

Lori

Hi Lori,

I found the new thread and it looks like it was a great idea to start a new one!

Thank you!!!!

Hope you feel better soon!!!

:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lori,

I totally understand and hope we all feel better soon!!!!  This sucks.  You are right - this will pass.  If you are like me- patience is not a virtue I have with all this.  I just want to be better and live a normal life again. 

L.

Julia

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Lori,

yes, it is quiet here these days.  I hope you are doing better.  Did you start your liquid taper?  If so I hope it is going good for you.  Let me know as I may have to do that eventually.

Any advice?  I am starting to feel better from the crap I have been going through, I want to taper again today by .25 mg which will take me to 2.25 mg.  I am afraid because I have been through alot in the last few weeks and do not want to start feeling like crap again.  But - I want to keep going and and get off this Xanax. 

Anyone who has advice, please post.

Thanks and I hope all have a good day!

Any help would be appreciated.  I am not going to start today but want to start tomorrow as I have already taken my 4:30 pm dose for the day.

I hope everyone is having a better day!!!

Hello all,

Doing a cut today to 2.25 mg Xanax.  I hope I do ok.  Trying to be positive.  It has been a month since my last cut.  I hope doing .25 mg cuts is not too much.  I started this in January and was at 3.5 mg when I started.  Have been doing ok for the most part but had some issues related to health and my husband's health so have not gone as fast as I wanted to on this taper journey.

If anyone has any advice or thinks I am going to fast or making to large of cuts, please share with me.  I am not good at figuring out the percentages.  I have no idea if this is a 10% cut or more.

Thanks for any help with this.

Julia

Modify message

Hi All,

Doing ok with this cut. have had a couple headaches and not feeling that great every so often, other than that so far so good!

Hope all are doing ok.

Julia

Hi All,

Doing ok with this cut. have had a couple headaches and not feeling that great every so often, other than that so far so good!

Hope all are doing ok.

Julia

Hi Julia- your last cut was 11%.

Here’s the formula in steps:

1 - (New dose/Old dose) * 100

1 - (2/2.25) * 100

1 - (0.889) * 100

0.111 * 100

11%

Stick with it!  The recommended reduction is 10% every two weeks and you’re right around that number. As you get lower in your dose you might need to reduce less of the medication to keep your percentage around 10%. I did it much faster but I’ve been on the med since October last of last year so I’m likely an outlier on these boards.

Thanks Jim,

I am sorry but I do not understand your formula.  If I am doing .25 mg cuts every 20 - 30 days, is that ok or not?  I am not good at math.  Used to be - used to be a payroll accountant - not since Xanax. 

Also - is the 10% cut from the dose I am on now or from where I started - 3.5 mg a day?  I have been so confused on all this. 

thanks for your help. 

How are you doing?