What Not to Say to Someone Depressed

[Rx...]

My endocrinologist told me I would look good enough and should stop complaining about not feeling good.

:tickedoff:

The only good thing about them is, if people like them get into a depression (and everyone in life will have such episodes) they have a much bigger problem than we have. Not able to feel /be empathic/ reflect means to be harsh on themselves.

And I wish I had a bucket full of popcorn and a sofa to watch them then. 8)

I know some people who show no empathy who do not appear harsh on themselves whatsoever.  Harsh on everyone but themselves.  I think fate often has a way of dealing with such types all on its own.

I know a major jerk who tauntingly brags to others that he has never suffered from depression in his entire life.  He certainly does have a knack for causing others to suffer from depression, however.  Is that the key to avoiding it?  I seriously wonder sometimes.  Oh well, I'm not perfect, but I'm still grateful I have a conscience.  Not everyone appears to have one after all.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Rx...]

• [Ma...]

• [az...]

• [Jo...]

Top Posters In This Topic

He certainly does have a knack for causing others to suffer from depression, however.  Is that the key to avoiding it?  I seriously wonder sometimes.  Oh well, I'm not perfect, but I'm still grateful I have a conscience.  Not everyone appears to have one after all.

I'm not perfect either RxDamaged but I agree it's important we respect/guard our consciences. Some might disagree and say there is no such thing as a conscience. What escapes them is the fact that one's conscience can be deliberately silenced, if the individual chooses.

Self-determination then can freely run amuck and eventual painful consequences are a certainty. Each person's freedom is relative to the freedom enjoyed by others. Absolute freedom is absolute selfishness.

A powerful quality that can prevent the urge to silence a good, working conscience is principled love….this love includes love of oneself and of neighbor. It requires a great deal of effort/work to be neighborly to all….and, of course, to love oneself (not the same as narcissism).

I would imagine if love was practiced more readily by the masses, then many therapists would be out of a job. :)

My endocrinologist told me I would look good enough and should stop complaining about not feeling good.

:tickedoff:

The only good thing about them is, if people like them get into a depression (and everyone in life will have such episodes) they have a much bigger problem than we have. Not able to feel /be empathic/ reflect means to be harsh on themselves.

And I wish I had a bucket full of popcorn and a sofa to watch them then. 8)

I know some people who show no empathy who do not appear harsh on themselves whatsoever.  Harsh on everyone but themselves.  I think fate often has a way of dealing with such types all on its own.

I know a major jerk who tauntingly brags to others that he has never suffered from depression in his entire life.  He certainly does have a knack for causing others to suffer from depression, however.  Is that the key to avoiding it?  I seriously wonder sometimes.  Oh well, I'm not perfect, but I'm still grateful I have a conscience.  Not everyone appears to have one after all.

The last years I learned that these personalities are not happy either. Once I thought they are getting through life without problems but they are not able to enjoy the little things and feel real love - so they end up grumpy. Its okey for me >:D

My face twitches when someone says this.

:idiot:

Understandable. I can tell you if someone told me that not only my face would do so.

"You need to help yourself"

"You just need to exercise"

"I've never heard of meds doing anyone like this"

"When those things get out of your system, you'll be fine"

"Think positive"

"Just stop thinking about it."

My favorite is that stupid "if life gives you lemons..." shit. I use to tell them to go to hell and take their lemons with them.

no lemons. no. thanks.

:D

My favorite is that stupid "if life gives you lemons..." shit. I use to tell them to go to hell and take their lemons with them.

no lemons. no. thanks.

I'm visualizing someone with a big ol' fake smile running a lemonade stand in Hell.  Don't mind me, but for whatever reason that is making me bust out laughing.  :laugh:  Thank you.  Hope you don't mind. 

no lemons. no. thanks.

I'm visualizing someone with a big ol' fake smile running a lemonade stand in Hell.  Don't mind me, but for whatever reason that is making me bust out laughing.  :laugh:  Thank you.  Hope you don't mind.

:laugh: I can imagine!

I am sure I will not enter heaven, I am just not made for that. But I wonder if hell would take me, either. Most likely I have to build up my own thing after my death. This would be typical.. I will inform you, if you are interested, when my after-life-world has been finished.  :thumbsup:

no lemons. no. thanks.

I am sure I will not enter heaven, I am just not made for that. But I wonder if hell would take me, either. Most likely I have to build up my own thing after my death. This would be typical.. I will inform you, if you are interested, when my after-life-world has been finished.  :thumbsup:

Oh, I betcha you won't have to worry about that.  Heaven awaits you when your time comes.  :angel: 

no lemons. no. thanks.

Oh, I betcha you won't have to worry about that.  Heaven awaits you when your time comes.  :angel:

Since I have watched "Lucifer" I am fine with hell, too. :socool:

• 2 weeks later...

You're doing great! 

Dismissive or outright mockery?  And yes, after being informed of just how bad it really is.

You look good enough - you don't need to get your old weight back

My endocrinologist. My overweight is water in edema.

• 2 weeks later...

You need to help yourself. No one else can do it for you.

Or...

Everybody gets depressed. Stop thinking about it and go do something to take your mind off it.

You need to help yourself. No one else can do it for you.

Or...

Everybody gets depressed. Stop thinking about it and go do something to take your mind off it.

I've been told both of those today lol

Constant nagging and guilt trips (subtle or direct) of any sorts regarding "positivity", to be positive, think positive when one's brain literally cannot because of physiological Rx brain damage and one has lost all hope or one is in excruciating physical pain beyond what many could ever fathom.  No show of understanding, empathy, or compassion, just constant nagging regarding "positivity".  The Smile or Else! crowd.  Not everything in life is *positive* after all.  It's also a method of stifling and control and conveniently washing one's hands of having to show any caring to another human being in great pain.  It's easier to snap, "Think Positive!" than to actually take some time to care.  I notice such sorts are not so *positive* regarding addressing anyone they consider *negative*.  They can be pretty nasty.  Isn't it *negative* to be nasty after all?

And lest we forget the Toughen up or else! crowd.  Those who would most likely fall on their first step in some's shoes, yet live to beat on their own chest expressing their tougher than thou status ad nauseum to those *perceived* weaker than thou.

• 1 month later...

Constant nagging and guilt trips (subtle or direct) of any sorts regarding "positivity", to be positive, think positive when one's brain literally cannot because of physiological Rx brain damage and one has lost all hope or one is in excruciating physical pain beyond what many could ever fathom.  No show of understanding, empathy, or compassion, just constant nagging regarding "positivity".  The Smile or Else! crowd.  Not everything in life is *positive* after all.  It's also a method of stifling and control and conveniently washing one's hands of having to show any caring to another human being in great pain.  It's easier to snap, "Think Positive!" than to actually take some time to care.  I notice such sorts are not so *positive* regarding addressing anyone they consider *negative*.  They can be pretty nasty.  Isn't it *negative* to be nasty after all?

And lest we forget the Toughen up or else! crowd.  Those who would most likely fall on their first step in some's shoes, yet live to beat on their own chest expressing their tougher than thou status ad nauseum to those *perceived* weaker than thou.

Yes.

• 1 month later...
Tough love comments to crack the whip at a depressed person.  A huge majority of depressed people are hard enough on themselves without having a self-appointed whip cracker at their back.