TMJ/TMD

[Co...]

Does anyone else feel their jaw in constantly tight even when relaxing it.

It is related to tight misaligned neck as well and I think it is what makes me constantly salivate and my whole face feel under pressure.

Does anyone else feel their jaw in constantly tight even when relaxing it.

It is related to tight misaligned neck as well and I think it is what makes me constantly salivate and my whole face feel under pressure.

Ajusta, I bought some thin mouth guards, just use on top or bottom teeth.  They are thin so your mouth is just open enough to relax jaw muscles.  Pluckers Grind No More or clinch your jaw.  They helped me a lot.  Inexpensive, u might give a try :)

But my mouth is open. It feels like it’s clenching even when my teeth are not touching at all.

I have a guard to wear at night made by my dentist.

Ajusta- I used to have this too.  My dentist referred me to a special dentist who specialized in TMJ and she prescribed me Flexeril, a muscle relaxer.  Flexeril has helped me a lot during benzo withdrawal.  I didn't even realize how tight my jaw muscles were until I tried Flexeril. 

Flexeril doesn’t seem to be available in the uk.

I have methocarbamol but that doesn’t help.

When I had to go to A&E for dystopia they gave me a shot of procyclodine which is like flexeril and I don’t recall that helping with the jaw stuff but I understand you have to take it over some time.

It is probably not a bad idea for me to see my dentist and see what he says and if I can be referred.

Thing is I think my TMD comes from neck problems. I have disc herniations and bone spurs in neck - the whole thing is a mess but not in a way that surgery is currently an option.

My head doesn’t sit right on top of my neck - it is pulled back. I have lost the normal curve in my neck. This seems to put my lower jaw out.

As far as I can work out there seems little I can do about it other than keep trying to strengthen and release neck and upper back and shoulders..

It's generic is called cyclobenzaprine, if that helps.  I honestly was surprised that it helped so much.  I feel like a muscle relaxer commercial.  LOL. 

Well I have been taking Flexeril for like the last 4 out of 7 days, and I think I've hit my limit for now.  I felt very very dizzy this morning.  UGH. This happened to me once before while taking it for a week long period.  I don't see my dentist until May 10th, I hate this.  I know I will clench and grind and make my shoulders, neck, jaws, and teeth hurt.  :'(

It's not like going to the dentist any earlier will change things either. 

Ajusta- I used to have this too.  My dentist referred me to a special dentist who specialized in TMJ and she prescribed me Flexeril, a muscle relaxer.  Flexeril has helped me a lot during benzo withdrawal.  I didn't even realize how tight my jaw muscles were until I tried Flexeril.

I had again vertigo and my left trapezius muscle hard as a rock, after a week of muscoril (that's how it's called in my country I guess it's the same as flexeril) I got 40% better...better than nothing.

My dentist says I'm missing 4 millimeters of expansion of the upper arch to feel better, I hope he is right...in 1 month and a half I will let you guys know  :P

Ps: i had to stop the muscoril because of diharrea  :laugh: just my luck :D

Well okay, I had my dentist appointment last week, and wow.  I had cracked this tooth, in my sleep, by clenching and grinding, over the summer.  I first went in to the dentist about this in September and it was very painful and sensitive.  He proceeded to put two different temporary fillings in, and then finally a crown.  The first one he put in had some natural oil in it to help with tooth pain and sensitivity and it did help a lot.

Last week, while the dentist was cleaning out my tooth, preparing for the crown, I had so much pain.  Just amazing amounts of pain.  He went to spray some air on it, and damn.  It was like no other pain I have ever felt.  I actually almost pushed him away.  I did say something with my mouth open to the extent of, "YOU HAVE TO STOP, NOW!!!".  And I think the dental assistant scolded me for moving but I wasn't paying any attention to her.  The pain was unbearable.

At this point, looking back, as it was last week, I think what has happened is that I am just more sensitive to pain right now.  This happened after THREE SHOTS of novacaine, or whatever they use now.  I am kind of embarrassed about how much noise and fuss I made at the dentists office. 

Now, that tooth has much less pain.  It is still sensitive but healing and getting better each day.  The dentist was saying if I still have pain that I should get a root canal, but I think this pain is exaggerated because of withdrawal.  I'm going to try to keep this tooth a bit longer and hope it gets better. 

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody think the Starecta jaw splinting technique is anything other than nonsense?

I have terrible jaw problems and neck is jammed up under skull and degeneration in neck, fused vertebrae at top of thoracic and degeneration all the way down but if I could just get my jaw’top of neck thing to release it would make such a difference so wondering if Starecta if worth a go?

• 3 weeks later...

Following.

Also have tmj, full feeling left ear, dizziness, and palpitations.

I feel your pain.....and frustration. I recently got a night guard.

Very awkward indeed ahah. My TMJ was actually what started my Xanax use :(

You can see it here: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=197475.0

I had to give up on muscle relaxants because of acid reflux...they were making my cardias weak (or it was spasming from benzo withdrawal I will never know). I try to cope with magnesium...of course it's not as strong but I really can't take anything.

Have u tried a night guard?

Very awkward indeed ahah. My TMJ was actually what started my Xanax use :(

You can see it here: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=197475.0

I had to give up on muscle relaxants because of acid reflux...they were making my cardias weak (or it was spasming from benzo withdrawal I will never know). I try to cope with magnesium...of course it's not as strong but I really can't take anything.

Have u tried a night guard?

Yes but it did very little because my problem is my misaligned bite so i have to fix it with braces and then maybe (just got this news) have surgery because I have a longer condyle so the pain comes from this :/

• 10 months later...

I have finally ordered the adjustable sprinting device from Starecta to see if that will help with jaw and neck issues so will let you know.

Jaw so tight now it is making all facial muscles tight.