Sleep or rather lack of it - What to expect - What can you do

[Th...]

Hey Karenpug.

I'm not sure whether you meant to say that you've been off, not on, benzos for 5 weeks but I suspect you meant you've been off that long. If so, pat yourself on the back for making it this long.

Sleep deprivation causes all sorts of temporary changes in the chemistry of the brain and nervous system that make us prone to very negative, depressed, and irritable thinking. The loss of self-esteem seems to be part of this. Your mind may be telling you that you're a failure for not sleeping at this *very early* stage in your recovery but you can remind yourself that this is just your mind trash talking you. It's not a fact. Your mind is going to spill out all sorts of crud that will feel very credible and very intense but that doesn't make any of it accurate.

I found, and still find, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy concepts very useful. Letting go of the struggle with sleep and observing, rather than engaging with thoughts, are two parts of it. Here are some videos on it if you want to learn more:

I periodically rewatch them to get them back in my brain and help me calm down. Give yourself time. Your thinking will straighten out and your sleep will return. I know that probably sounds like a pile of hooey right now. Try to trust those of us who've been through it until you finally can experience it for yourself.

MT

I will take a look at the videos. I am still having the same problem, sleep two hours per night or less.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Th...]

• [Ru...]

• [MT...]

• [ni...]

I have used pure CBD drops for help with sleep.

They are not illegal and can be purchased online or

at Willner Pharmacy in NYC. This was on the advise

of a neuropsychologist as they are using this for opiate withdrawl

I have also done alot of neurofeedback for this withdrawl.

It is expensive but it helps alot.

I can now begin to be less hopeless....

interested to know more about your neurofeedback treatment racslider?  :thumbsup:

I have used pure CBD drops for help with sleep.

They are not illegal and can be purchased online or

at Willner Pharmacy in NYC. This was on the advise

of a neuropsychologist as they are using this for opiate withdrawl

I have also done alot of neurofeedback for this withdrawl.

It is expensive but it helps alot.

I can now begin to be less hopeless....

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

on the Insomnia forum I'm new. Any insomnia is uncomfortable, heavy. Can you please write, do you have such insomnia that you have 2-3 nights without sleep? I go to bed regularly. I can not fall asleep. I'm asleep in the morning. I have a bad sleep for two years - tolerance for Klonopin, Remeron. At this time, I was at least 2-3 o'clock at night. Since leaving Remeron, I have many nights without sleep, just a few nights with a micro-sleep or a couple of nights 5-20 mins of sleep. Also, I can hardly believe that I will ever sleep well again. Insomnia is very exhausting and desperate.

Please write how do you manage nights without sleep or just with a minimum of sleep?

Thank you very much.

Margarita.

SEVEN months out after cold turkey due to severe tolerance withdrawl...

I do not recommend doing as I had to do.

I am a retired competitive athlete, so several docs think this is why I survived.

I work out every day 45-60”. I do yoga 30 “.

I did acupuncture and massage every week.

I do supplements on the advise of two neurologists.

I take cold showers.

I take CBD oil if I wake up ruminating....

I did a very aggressive  regime.

I take no other drugs.

My blood count has improved for 9 months now.

The depression has gone.

The apathy has gone.

The disrealization is 90% gone, some waves id sleep is bad.

Have been able to actually take afternoon naps which cut the late afternoon anxiety.

I stayed focused on work; cleaning, cooking, laundry, creative projects,etc

Constant walking in nature with friends and dogs. Constant contact with compassionate friends.

Lost some friends due to their addiction anxiety; they did not accept the a prescription drug issue is NOT addiction. It was blind unknowing. I have NO desire to evetake any drug again.

This horrific experience was worse than the loss of my husband after years of caregiving.

BUT there is definitely an end to the rollercoaster of waves and windows, be as focused as possible.

Love yourself into well beginning; this is what I learned despite the pain.

Hello Rac,

you have many activities, that's very good. Did you have a sleep problem? I have a big sleep problem. I have 2-4 nights without sleep. After these nights without sleep I have another night with a minimum of sleep - sometimes I have a "sleep" of 5 min - 20 min. This condition lasts for 1.5 months. I have little sleep and therefore I can not do any activities. I'm glad to walk around the house where I live. What am I supposed to do to have better sleep? After reading some posts, I can only wait for my body to heal.

I accept this fate and I will hope that the time will come and I will normally live, normally sleep.

Rac, I wish you beautiful life.

Margarita.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
[39...]
Thank you for posting and bumping this.  I've been struggling with sleep issues and it feels awful.  I really appreciate the insight and will try to remain grateful for the sleep that I am getting. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello ThEwAy2!

Thank you for your great contribution. I've read it over and over again. I took my last tablet of Ambien about four weeks ago. My sleep currently ranges between 4-8 hours. However, it takes me about three hours to fall asleep.

How is your sleep right now? How long does it take you to fall asleep at the moment? Do you wake up often? Thanks! Best wishes

Hey Sabitizer,

I usually fall asleep in about 10-20 minutes, but it's always taken me awhile to fall asleep almost my entire life.

I sleep pretty well and have for about the past 4 years.  I get an occasional one off night every month or two. 

Most nights I wake up 2 or 3 times to use the bathroom and I can still get a night where I wake up way more than I'd like to, but can almost always quickly fall back to sleep

I average about 7 hours each and every night with a few nights per week of 8 or 9 hours and a night or so here and there of 5-6 hours.

Sleeping 4-8 hours at 4 weeks off is literally INCREDIBLE.  Good for you.

It seems like Ambien won't give you the severe insomnia others (myself included) experienced?

Good luck!