How can i successfully get off klonopin

[Et...]

Hi Everyone,

I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks. I currently take lexepro in addition to 2MG of Klonopin daily and have been doing so for the past 7 or 8 months. I'm anxious about lowering my dosage and felt anxiety when I cut the dosage by a quarter tablet. I did that for two days and had an anxiety attack yesterday(not full blown, but pretty bad where I had to take an emergency Xanax). Is this just me, or part of reducing the dosage? Should I wait until I find another med that can help more than Lexepro before tapering off the klonopin? Anyone in a similar boat as me?

I'm very serious about you doing the research. If you are too bad at finding the forum on here then can you do a you tube search for benzo withdrawal? Or search for Dr. Heather Ashton?

Hi Ethansmom,

The taper section has a lot of good information and I found it very helpful during my taper off Clonazepam.  Cutting your dose can definitely cause anxiety and cutting by a quarter of a tablet can be too high of a cut for many.  There is also a thread called the klonopin klub 2 that may be able to help you, too.  Some people weigh out their cuts on a scale and others use a liquid taper method.  Some times you have to try to see what works best for you.  I was dry cutting my pills but, was switched to a liquid Clonazepam from a compounding pharmacy.  It was easier for me to measure and control the liquid than cutting the pills.  It basically turned into a sort of micro-taper down to the last drop.  Still had symptoms tapering and after jumping off but, I believe cutting or reducing by very small doses helped my body tolerate the whole process better.  Hope this is helpful for you.

• 1 month later...
Slow taper is best, especially if you don't feel comfortable.  Cut no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days, and hold if you have to.  Wishing you well.

I will be going to doctor who prescribed the benzo tomorrow.  I guess I will request low dose and try to wean slow.  I will try to 10 percent.  I was forced into rapid taper by another doc.  I was on 4 mg of Klonopin.  I was on benzos for about 9 years.  I have been off about 3 weeks and I'm having a very difficult time sleeping.  I'm extremely anxious and recently developed a stutter due to tremor of the jaw.  My job helped me with depression.  I can't stay at home any longer.  This is not how I imagined my life.  I need to start driving again and be able to support self.  I am happy that this guy was paying my major bills, but I want to pay my own bills.  Also, I feel like I don't want a boyfriend during this time.  If I'm going to be a beach because I'm feeling yucky then I would ruin any relationship.  KLONOPIN SUCKS!!!!  I want to educate people about never touching this evil med.