Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Open Group  ·  73 members

Music Lovers

SONGS That Make You Wanna BUST A MOVE!

[Yo...]

Here's one of the commercials:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LyRHXbDOj6A

Hope you don't turn up the volume too much with the headphones. Some get tinnitus that way.

I didn't own a TV for my ten years living abroad... Didn't miss it. Was too busy living!

Well, Shook. Very very sad. This song is an absolute masterpiece. Ed is one of the best guitar players in the world. Listed 8th on Rolling Stone "Greatest Guitarists of All Time". Just a few places behind Jimi Hendrix and Keith Richards.

I cannot believe they sold this song to Pepsi for lots of $$$. Which made a parody out of it, BTW. It really hurts. There is nothing ppl wouldn't do for money. And I certainly cannot judge them for having done it. Just wish I understood.

I get the volume on my headphones right. It's about the music, not the noise. Depends on the song and the mood. If you want to get some energy or calm down. Got Bose QuietComfort 35 wireless headphones. You can hear every tone with it. Great stuff.

Yeah, I actually own a large TV set, DVD etc. Kitty disconnected all the cables long ago. I'm just too busy living and got no time for TV. One has got to live in spite of the disease. Less and less time for the net, as well. I use the net chiefly for Audible, Kindle, Adobe LR and Gmail. BB is the only social site to which I post. I hope it does more good than harm.

Still wondering who's gonna replace Fabio...

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." [soren Kierkegaard]

"Do not dwell on the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." [buddha]

width=420 height=89https://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;54;93/st/20160228/e/last+damn+Ambien+pill/dt/6/k/5848/event.png[/img]

Neil Young's song "This Note's For You" made fun of artists "selling out" and either appearing in commercials or selling rights to use their music. But I'll just say it's probably very hard to turn down a huge check because of some artistic principle. I think it was Joan Jett who did it once, and regretted it years later.

No one can replace Fabio...he was fashioned by the gods.

Neil Young's song "This Note's For You" made fun of artists "selling out" and either appearing in commercials or selling rights to use their music. But I'll just say it's probably very hard to turn down a huge check because of some artistic principle. I think it was Joan Jett who did it once, and regretted it years later.

No one can replace Fabio...he was fashioned by the gods.

What a relief... Fabio is staying...

Neil Young is one of my fav musicians. "Rockin' in the Free World" is a masterpiece.

I mean art is a way to earn one's life. It's just a question whom you sell your art too.

Made me think of Bob Dylan. He accepted the Nobel Prize for Literature in 2016. Hahaha, what about the music. So, he accepted $ 905.000 or £ 727.000 from the Academy founded by Alfred Nobel. The latter made his fortune from arms and explosives.

In "Masters of War" Dylan sang about "You that built all the guns / You build the death planes / You that built all the bombs." The song's final verse includes the lines: "And I hope that you die. And your death will come soon." I just think the Swedish Academy didn't know these lyrics 😂

Dylan thought 5 days about accepting the Prize. The money won however.

Anyway, he removed the mention of the Prize from his website and didn't give a speech at the ceremony. Though the US Ambassador to Sweden read his speech. Does it change anything?

And he used his music for 8 commercials, to top it all... I still like his songs a lot. But I don't like greed. One should respect one's art.

Now, let's move to the only person who declined the Nobel Prize in Literature: Jean-Paul Sartre. He is still among the Laureates. Just didn't take the money. He said he always refused official distinctions and did not want to be "institutionalized".

http://www.ina.fr/video/CAF89044437

This is exactly why I hugely prefer philosophers to musicians. Their sense of ethics is much stronger. And they very often live up to their principles.

Oh well, maybe I'm just envious of all the money rock stars make. Like those guys in the song. Here's one great riff, Shook:

Dire Straits "Money for Nothing (1985):

Vid: https://vimeo.com/77804133

Lyrics: https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/direstraits/moneyfornothing.html

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." [soren Kierkegaard]

"Do not dwell on the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." [buddha]

width=420 height=89https://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;54;93/st/20160228/e/last+damn+Ambien+pill/dt/6/k/5848/event.png[/img]

The Nobel Prize committee likes mingling with celebs and adding star power/name recognition as much as any other awards "show". But I can't comment, as I haven't read his masterwork. And who knows, maybe he privately donated the money.... Doubtful, I agree.

I don't hold musicians and rock stars up to very high ethical standards. As for JPS, if he could spend his life philosophizing, he was probably born with a silver spoon, and could afford to be high-minded and refuse the prize. And there was probably some vanity behind the refusal too. Show me a pauper who was offered the prize and refused it, and I'll say "there is a person with integrity of principles... A little stupid, but still admirable".

That Dire Straits song really brings me back. Love the vid with its early computer animation!

The Nobel Prize committee likes mingling with celebs and adding star power/name recognition as much as any other awards "show". But I can't comment, as I haven't read his masterwork. But who knows, maybe he privately donated the money.... Doubtful, I agree.

I don't hold musicians and rock stars up to very high ethical standards. As for JPS, if he could spend his life philosophizing, he was probably born with a silver spoon, and could afford to be high-minded and refuse the prize. And there was probably some vanity behind the refusal too. Show me a pauper who was offered the prize and refused it, and I'll say "there is a person with integrity of principles... A little stupid, but still admirable".

That Dire Straits song really brings me back. Love the vid with its early computer animation!

You are right about musicians. Showbiz industry corrupts ppl. At least Jimi Hendrix will never disappoint me. Cause he's dead.

Yeah, JPS had enough money to survive. I don't think he cared much about money. Neither was he vain. A very private person. He was really cool.

Here are some of his quotes which can prove it. At least to me. Sorry to stray from the subject.

"L'homme n'est rien d'autre que ce qu'il se fait."

"Pas besoin de gril : l'enfer, c'est les Autres."

"Chaque homme doit inventer son chemin."

"Si l'on se bat, on peut etre battu."

"Le faire est le revelateur de l'etre."

"La seule chose qui permet a l'homme de vivre, c'est l'acte."

This is for Shook.

Hangnail

Nickelback

Who told you I was Canadian!  :laugh:

Fabio did. :laugh: Actually I would like to butt into this discussion by remembering what I thought to be the first popular song that the singer sold out to. I recall it was Anticipation by Carly Simon for that Heinz ketchup ad. That really burned my butt and I was very angry. She has a 2nd home in CT (she was born and raised in Stamford) and many years later I saw her window shopping and told he I did not appreciate her being a sell out.

So Fabio told you I was Canadian, and told Estee I was French-Canadian, so could read Sartre in his own language...  :laugh:

Don't stop there... So what did Carly say??

So Fabio told you I was Canadian, and told Estee I was French-Canadian, so could read Sartre in his own language...  :laugh:

Don't stop there... So what did Carly say??

I actually saw you were living in Montreal in "Where is everyone from?". Have a good memory. Despite benzos. Too tired to look up these quotes in EN. I bet you understand French, Shook...

;D I'm sorry. But the colors match so well. You've got a magnifying glass? If I make the font bigger, it will be too visible. Sometimes we have to look closely to see sth important. Anyway, what do you suggest? I mean as a format. Cause I'm gonna leave these inspirational quotes for some time. Until I'm less depressed and find sth new.

Oh my, I was trying so hard to make it look "just right". A typical OCD case.

Estee,

In reply to what you said over on abcd's thread...

The orange is an improvement on the pink!

I'll upload a picture of Minya sometime!

I still miss Michael Hutchence dearly! One of the most charismatic frontmen!

I can read French and Pink.  ;D

Benzogirl,

You should've asked her who inspired the song "You're So Vain". I think it's Warren Beatty.

Yes it was Warren. See many people think it was about Mick Jagger, but it wasn't. I mean why would a singer sing a song about himself? What happened was that Carly was in the recording studio. Mick happened to pass by, asked if he could join her and she said yes. It's all her her auto called Boys in the Trees. Very interesting read, though now I hate James Taylor. I deleted all of his songs from my iPhone.

Well, that was the first time I ever watched The Simpson's. I guess this was early on because JT has much less hair now! Nearly bald. heh heh. And for a long while I thought his song, Sweet Baby James, was about him. :laugh:

Estee,

In reply to what you said over on abcd's thread...

The orange is an improvement on the pink!

I'll upload a picture of Minya sometime!

I still miss Michael Hutchence dearly! One of the most charismatic frontmen!

Great song, Shook. INXS was really a great band. Thanx for the advice. I don't like things being too ornamental. Rather simple. Waiting for Minya's picture. Have you posted this song, BTW? It's for my Kitty. On this rainy Monday night, just after midnight. Often thought of her in hospital, where she couldn't sleep with me. How is she without me. Another sleepless night. At least with my Kitty.

http://s1268.photobucket.com/component/Download-File?file=%2Falbums%2Fjj561%2FTooManyWastedDays%2FIMG_0830_zpsjsvlqvld.jpg

For my Kitty

INXS "By My Side" (1990):

Vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dIcGVdvItQ

Lyrics:

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/inxs/bymyside.html

I'm so glad to hear she's by your side again.  :)  What's her name?

I hadn't posted that song before, so thanks! It's one of the standout tracks from the "X" album.

Here's another called The Stairs. I love the way it builds up.

I'm so glad to hear she's by your side again.  :)  What's her name?

I hadn't posted that song before, so thanks! It's one of the standout tracks from the "X" album.

Thank you, Shook. She's by my side all the time. She's quite easy to be googled. Cannot give her real name here. It's very difficult to pronounce anyway. In my native tongue. She had several thousand fans. But we ran away from that site. Too much pressure. It was madness.

"Live hidden" - as Epicurus said. The best recipe for happiness. Had to delete the account. Couldn't take it anymore. Came here, but that professional site was my passion. I just hated all the rat race that was going on there. Without money. It was so absurd. Will never go back to that site.

width=420 height=89https://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;54;93/st/20160228/e/last+Ambien+pill/dt/6/k/5760/event.png[/img]

Didn't know this song. Beautiful lyrics. About loneliness in a big city. Michael had a unique voice.

I somehow cannot believe he's gone. It reminded me of this U2 song. I think they blocked all their YouTube vids. Oh my, I'm so tired.

http://s1268.photobucket.com/component/Download-File?file=%2Falbums%2Fjj561%2FTooManyWastedDays%2FIMG_0840_zpskchn8cd9.jpg

U2 "Where the Streets Have No Name" (1987):

https://itunes.apple.com/pl/album/where-the-streets-have-no-name/id267903065?i=267903078

What color is Minya's coat? How old is she? Mixed breed? Purebred? Won't google her. See, I'm crazy 'bout cats.

width=420 height=89https://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;54;93/st/20160228/e/last+Ambien+pill/dt/6/k/5760/event.png[/img]

Estee,

I hope you were able to rest well.

Yes, the songs share similarities. I also love U2. Michael and Bono were friends and collaborated on the song "Slide Away" on his posthumously-released solo album. Bono often paid tribute to him in concerts and media appearances.

Slide Away

Estee,

I hope you were able to rest well.

Yes, the songs share similarities. I also love U2. Michael and Bono were friends and collaborated on the song "Slide Away" on his posthumously-released solo album. Bono often paid tribute to him in concerts and media appearances.

Slide Away

Yeah, we slept well. Got into panic mode until I saw that vid. Beautiful and very sad, symbolic song. Made me cry.

According to u2wanderer.org: 'When Michael passed away in 1997 [at the age of 37], he left a partially completed album of solo work. One song "Slide Away" was left incomplete vocally, and Bono was approached to complete the lyrics and sing on the track. Bono had long been a friend of Hutchence. Although not credited on the album with co-writing, it was widely reported that he had in fact written additional lyrics to finish the track [...]"

"I just want to slide away and come alive again

"I will see that love again and find a life again"

This refrain was certainly written by Michael. Oh my, it's symbolic and there is so much despair in these words...

I think Bono's lyrics may be these: "I'd catch you if I heard your call / But you tore a whole in space like a dark star falls from grace / You burn across the sky and I'd find you wings to fly / And I would catch you / And I would catch your fall [...]"

http://s1268.photobucket.com/component/Download-File?file=%2Falbums%2Fjj561%2FTooManyWastedDays%2FIMG_0843_zpswpypn0jn.jpg

Michael's beloved daughter - Tiger Lily Hutchence as a kid (born 1996)

Who knows how it really was between Michael and Paula Yates. They are both gone so long ago. Must have been happy for a while. Paula outlived Michael by only 3 yrs, and died on 17 Sept. 2000 at the age of 41.

Let's hope their daughter, Tiger Lily Hutchence, who turned 21 in July this year, has a happier and longer life than her parents. Michael's little baby, whom he wanted to see so much before he died. On the night of 21 Nov. 1997. In Sydney's hotel room.

It's not entirely clear what happened that night. Desperate calls concerning his daughter between him and Bob Geldof. How strange it must've been for her to be raised by Geldof. Then she lost her half-sister, Peaches to a heroin overdose like their mother... So much loss.

Slide Away became a minor hit as I recall, helped by Bono's involvement. Michael of course was deeply sensitive, and the waning popularity of the band affected him. He was very much hurt I think by the classless Gallagher brother who called him a "has been" on stage when he presented an award to Oasis. I think his last or second last show was here in Montreal before flying back to Sydney. I'll always regret not going. I did see the band in New York with the new singer. It was a great show.

I guess this thread should be getting back to busting a move!

I share the sentiment on Gallagher brothers. They were so off-putting to me back in the 90's, that I never really got into listening to Oasis, all that much. Was kind of personally disappointed when Andy Bell from Ride went to play for Oasis, as I always thought Ride were a much more innovative band, but I do understand. The guy had bills to pay and all. Glad to see the Ride reunion happen after all these years, and kind of sad I'm just not well enough to go see them.

But yes, during the Oasis reign, I was always much more of a Blur fan. I think they just spoke to me more. So back to the songs: