ADRENAL GLANDS AND CORTISOL EFFECTS FROM BENZOS

[he...]

This is an ongoing debate on here...

I have severe AF for many years, and its what brought me to benzos as of my high cortisol and dyfunctional HPA axis because of it. There are a lot of haters on here who claim that it dosent exist, even though they are suffering from it themselves...beggars belief that they believe in western doctors still, yet are in benzo hell.

AF is very real, and also very difficult to reover from if you are in the late Stage 3

So here is a few links, Clark, Amber and I have been fighting the AF corner many times over!

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=79902.msg1050087#msg1050087

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=83332.msg1087745#msg1087745

and a great article by Dr Lam

http://www.drlam.com/articles/adrenal_fatigue.asp

That "Sleep as much as possible" could be the ONLY thing that I noticed can help.  It's crazy that a few times, I layed down for even just an hour and felt much better and more "ready" to do something.  Out of all of the things i've tried, just sleeping or even sleeping again in the morning like I usually have to do are the only things that seem to help a bit. 

• 2 years later...
Agree wholeheartedly about sleep being the greatest healer. I'm 20 mos. off clonazepam after a 9 mo. taper. (Was prescribed this med for 15 yrs.). I'm still not getting more than 2 consecutive hrs of sleep per night. If I get 4 hrs total, I consider it a triumph! Seems like cortisol kicks in at the exact opposite of when it "should" or once did. If I'm lucky, and the planets line up, I may finally doze off in the early a.m. for my most restful sleep. Only then do I feel anywhere near normal and able to face another day. An added boost comes if I can force myself to try to get a catnap late afternoon. If I happen to nod off even for 20 min. I fell very invigorated. You have to take what you can get. I think we have to try to trick those cortisol rushes by de-stressing whenever we can. Slow breathing, peaceful environment and all that. I've taken up home-baking all our bread as therapy--it's very relaxing! I too wonder if this 67 yr ol body/mind will ever return to some semblance of normal, or if I'll end my days unhappily, feeling ill most of the time. I hope all of our stories will one day fuel more research on benzo w/d.

• 8 months later...
I would really recommend Dr. Lam's website and The Clymer Healing Center's website/videos about adrenal fatigue.  I had severe adrenal fatigue before taking benzos but, wonder if the physical and mental stress of benzo withdrawal can mimic or even cause adrenal fatigue in some people.  Adrenal fatigue affects so much more than just the adrenal glands, it is a systemic down regulation of the CNS due to many causes:  stress, illness, etc.
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 7 years later...
[Ao...]

Okay so why tf did they let me stay on or even put me on Benzo's KNOWING I had thyroid disease ?? Now half way through taper I have run into months and months of terrible awful horrible symptoms related to my thyroid. I cannot believe this. :(( its just gets frikken worse. Why tf taper when all sh*t breaks lose ? U think u are sick b4 u taper and then ...oh G*d help us all. These bl**dy Benzo's are disgusting and no Dr should be allowed to prescribe them unless it is for a one off emergency event like a seizure in a hospital setting. 

Thanks for the information, very useful post. I learned a lot of interesting information. The topic was created a year after I started taking benzodiazepines; it’s a pity that I didn’t read it before. Thank you for the useful post and the admin for the forum here has a lot of explanations for me.

[PE...]
On 16/12/2010 at 21:12, [[l...] said:

Thanks for posting....very intersiting..Laura did you have an adrniline tumor

I have it atm. It produces a stress hormone witch makes the heart race, high bp.

• Sad 1