Weight Gain or Weight Loss During Withdrawal Support Group

[ve...]

Quick update.  It's October 29th and I'm down to 181.  It's been a few days now. Hoping to get down into the 170ies next week, if Halloween doesn't mess with the program :laugh:.  It's been 10 weeks of low carb dieting and I've lost 20 pounds.  I'd like to take another 10 pounds off but I have a feeling with the holidays coming up, it'll be a little slower.  I'd be happy if I can take 5 pounds off by January 1st.

Happy Halloween everybody  :crazy:>:D8):)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ve...]

• [Da...]

• [Su...]

• [pa...]

Top Posters In This Topic

No need to rush it, and definitely enjoy Halloween and the holidays.  They only come around once a year and the diet will be there waiting for you come Jan. 1st. ;)

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m575/maxmoo/Funny%20Pics/Smileys/hallcandysmile3.gif

Hey Verti,

I lost a total of 20 pounds post-taper.  My appetite was very poor but I made sure that I did protein shakes or organic fruit/veggie juice to keep my blood sugar level stable.  Once the fatigue lifted and my appetite improved, I added 10 pounds back on, and that's when I bumped up my fitness game.  I've lost the 10 that I regained and am deliberately losing more for better health and fitness.  It is easier to focus on weight loss now since the fatigue is gone and I am sleeping worlds better.

I hear you Retire.  I also lost about 10 pounds during my taper, then gained about 15 from January of this year to end July. Now down 20lbs since mid August.  I guess I could change my name to yo yo :D:laugh:.  Glad to hear you are sleeping well again :thumbsup:.

Vertigo (no more)

I just found this thread. (again) I gained 30 pounds this year.    I am post benzo, so I dont understand why would I gain so much AFTER taper???   I got off on Oct 31 2009, and in January, 2010, this massive weight gain began.  Ideas anyone?  My diet, admittedly is terrible, but its no different than its ever been, except I cut out all the coffee I used to drink in a day.   Six to eight cups.   Dont like this big feeling.  

• 1 month later...

Hi Star. Sorry I've not visited this thread in a while.  To answer the question about gaining weight after taper-

During taper, the anxiety and other agitation of withdrawal can cause weight loss.  It happened to me and others.  I lost about 10lbs in 2009.  After my taper ended in November 09, I may have lost some more weight in the initial months off but I started to gain weight by Spring 2010 and by August, had gone up 15lbs.  I started the diet and exercise program mid August of this year and have lost 27lbs to date (over four months).  I'm currently 174, 4 lbs to go :thumbsup:.  Since I'm going to get back to lifting weights now that I'm done travelling for a while, I expect to gain some lbs as muscle builds up.  Yet I think I'll be able to lose four more lbs off my gut while building muscle in other areas as well as doing sit ups and biking to strengthen abs.  I'm feeling better than before benzos with one remaining symptom, afternoon fatigue.  Since losing the weight, I no longer wake up in a fog and so tired that I need coffee to wake me up.  I was up this morning at 5:00AM and on my exercise bike by 6:00AM.  I also enjoy outdoor biking when weather permits.  I've been experimenting with some green super food products to help with the afternoon fatigue.  I've posted on my other threads about fatigue here in this section of forum.  Main thing is that if I could lose the weight and get healthier, many of you can too.

Best wishes,

Vertigo

• 2 weeks later...

Down to 172.  2 more pounds to 170.  I think I might be able to make 165 (my High School) weight if I just increase the exercise a bit and go easy with the holiday treats and skip the wine.  Not sure yet if that makes sense, plus I'd have to buy all new pants again :tickedoff:.

Happy Holidays,

V

• 3 weeks later...

I am 3 months and 10 days off benzos.  I can not lose weight no matter what I do.  If I low carb it and exercise like a crazy person, I gain lose 2-3 lbs. Or I can do nothing and weigh the same.

I've done A LOT of research on this topic and found some web site about benzo withdrawal that says until the brain is fully healed, it can be impossible "for SOME" to lose weight, which often takes up to a full year.

So, I'm thinking that I should stop fretting about this 24/7 and wait maybe another 3 months and try again then.  My goal is to NOT gain any weight, but losing weight doesn't seem to be an option for me at the moment.

Would any of you agree?  Those who have posted that they are finally losing weight, what month off benzos did you notice that you could actually lose weight?

Hi Sunny71.  A lot of factors other than benzos can impact ability or ease to lose weight including hormones, menopause, adrenal fatigue and others.  I lost weight during my taper, seems like the anxiety and limited sleep kept my metabolism on high speed. After the taper, I was very exhausted and started gaining weight in the first six months off.  I suppose it's an individual thing, partly your genes and your habits, metabolism, level of exercise and some of the things I originally mentioned and maybe some other factors as well.

Vertigo

Hi Sunny71.  A lot of factors other than benzos can impact ability or ease to lose weight including hormones, menopause, adrenal fatigue and others.   I lost weight during my taper, seems like the anxiety and limited sleep kept my metabolism on high speed. After the taper, I was very exhausted and started gaining weight in the first six months off.  I suppose it's an individual thing, partly your genes and your habits, metabolism, level of exercise and some of the things I originally mentioned and maybe some other factors as well.

Vertigo

Thanks vertigo.  I do think my horomones are involved and I am being tested in a few weeks for adrenal fatigue/cortisol levels.  I hope that it will have some answers.

I have never had a weight problem at all, and technically would only be considered 8 lbs over weight according to the BMI scale, but I'm 15 lbs heavier than I'm comfortable at.  I like to be more in the center of the BMI scale, in other words, I should weight any where from 120-146, So I always weighed 135, now I am 154 and don't like it at all.  I am being realistic and would like to get to 140, but am finding it BEYOND difficult!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sunny.  Sorry for the delay in responding.   I wonder how the tests went for adrenal functioning?  Makes sense to try and be more balanced with the BMI scale.

Quick update on my situation.  I've lost 31 lbs in the last five months.  The last two months have seen an increase in anxiety (almost like during taper).  Part of it is getting a new puppy a couple weeks ago :idiot:.  I think I've overdone the low carbs and need to turn this boat around a bit.  I've gone from a waist 38 to a 32 since August and while my cholesterol and blood work is "great", I don't feel good.  So it's time to put back some complex carbs into my nutritional plan.  I'll start by adding back brown rice, quinoa, maybe oatmeal and perhaps some baked potato (with skin) as the author of Potatos, Not Prozac (Katheleen DesMaisons) suggests.  Will also continue to eat lots of salads and veggies.  I've had way too much anxiety and some blues (could be seasonal) but this "diet" is officially over.  I've also recently stopped taking prilosec (see my thread in "other prescribed medications").

Best,

Vertigo (and dieting no more ;))

I don't see the "hormone" doctor to get tested until Feb. 14th.  I'll let you know what I find out.

Yesterday I found out I have a large growth on my thryoid. I am having a needle biopsy done in a few weeks. Perhaps this is messing w/ my thryoid?  And that is making it hard to lose weight? They won't know until I get further tests done. 

Thanks for the post Sunny. Sorry to read of your thyroid growth but I guess it's good to catch it in time to do something about it in terms of treatment!  Also, keep us posted on how your cortisol/adrenal numbers turn out in a couple weeks. I have a physical scheduled in about five weeks myself, so I'll report back here in early March on that.  It will be near my 16th month off benzos and hoping to have further healing towards my goals by then and wishing you the same.

Best,

Vertigo (no more)

• 1 month later...

I've started adding more complex carbs and officially ended the low carb diet.  Hopefully it'll help lessen the anxity a bit to increase calories and carbs again.  Blood test tomorrow.  We'll see how things pan out.

Vertigo

Vertigo....Do you still feel like your anxiety is as bad as it was during your taper?

I have been exercising every single day for at least an hour. I walk 3 miles in 45 min. do 20 min pilates, and a free weight upper body work out. I have gained 1.6 pounds!  I am eating around 1400 calories per day.

I am so frustrated!  It's not that I've GAINED weight during withdrawal, it's that I can't LOSE weight during withdrawal. I gained my weight while taking benzos and various A/D's.

I googled "can't lose weight in benzo withdrawal" and found this site where a pharamicst says that our brains are so confused and misfiring that it doesn't recognize or do what it should do when we limit calories and exercise while we are in benzo withdrawal. It is the only thing I've read that says that.

I know of someone else who said she could not lose weight untl she was off benzos 8 months off and then it just started working. Anyone else have this experience?

Hi Sunny. It just worked out that I started to exercise regularly and diet at 9 months out.  Have you ever tried the kavli thin crisp crackers?  you can order them on Amazon, might have em at Whole foods.  I replaced bread with them and have lost a ton of weight.  I pretty much eliminated bread, pasta and cereal, although I did eat some Smart Bran with Psyllium cereal occasionally.  It's not hard if you're willing ot limit the carbs.  On the other hand, maybe there is something to what you say about early benzo withdrawal and weight loss?   I did gain some weight those first few months myself.  Don't try to go too fast.  Just stick with a program and I think you'll start to take some lbs off if you eliminate the bread.  I still have anxiety, maybe 20% higher than pre benzos but 40% less than during taper :thumbsup:.

Best,

V

How long have you been off benzos Vertigo? It looks like from your signature that it's been more than a year and you still have that much anxiety?  Is anxiety the reason you took the benzos in the first place?

I tried a no to low carb diet before and didn't lose a pound, but I will consider trying it again and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestions and I let you know how it goes.

Hi Sunny71,  Yes, I took valium for insomnia and to "take the edge off" anxiety during a difficult time in 2008 when my father had cancer and before a trip overseas with him and some extended family who I don't get along with well.  I fully was prepared for anxiety to return to at least the same levels as before taking the benzo.  Yes, I am a little disappointed to have about 20% more anxiety at 16 months off (this Friday!).  Yet I am encouraged by the notion that 6-18 months (maybe even up to 24 months according to some books on benzo healing) is possible.  So I hope the healing in the next 8-10 weeks will continue.  

Also,  I believe the Shingles virus that I got six weeks after taper set me back (that was 1 year ago when I was finally over Shingles).  I had another setback in January, 2 months ago, after getting a young puppy from a shelter who was not housebroken and was quite ill. It added a lot of temporary stress for several weeks in addition to tapering off prilosec at the start of the year. Its all on my blog (under 4mg and chipping away"). Also a summary of my benzo/anxiety journey on p. 156 of my blog.  I do believe each setback or challenge that I endure, makes me a little more resilient.  Also, I believe all the weight I lost from August may have revved me up a bit, losing 30 lbs, might not have been consuming enough calories.  I started eating more as of about 3 weeks ago.  So, I am hopeful that things can continue to heal as I tweak lifestyle.  Also, I meditate more and try to be mindful of stress management thru breathing.

Last thing.  Ive been challenging myself more to get out these last few months with my son to crowded sporting events.  This also spikes anxiety but I do it anyway.  For example, took my son to 3 NBA games in the last 3 months and got him that puppy (trying to make up for some of my absence during taper and when I had to be out of town for weeks and months when my father has been ill the last few years).  It all helps me to get back to "normal" but challenges my nervous system when looking at the combined picture.  My 88 year old father still has cancer and will need another chemotherapy this Spring.  I will fly to the W. Coast next month and we have plans to be there in the summer as well.  I don't like flying but do that too about 3-4 times a year.  Healing is a gradual process.  Many s/x were eliminated in the last year, just a couple kinks to still work out, all in good time :thumbsup:.  By the way, at 6 months off, I was about 80% so its just a few stubborn issues that are lingering, some of which I had to some degree before I ever took that first valium.  While I'm not quite ready to declare victory, some areas are better than before benzos, such as being in better physical shape and weight (over 2 1/2 years later), eating healthier and have added several coping strategies which I did not have back in 2008. Im also sleeping better. In the last 2 years, my father was hospitalized 3 times, almost died, and I had to overhaul his cluttered messy house so caregivers could live with him full time, all while dealing with a very angry and difficult sibling.  It's been a kind of perfect stress storm that led to Shingles last year after a 10 month slow taper off valium.  Life and stress keep comin at us whether on or off a benzo.  All we can do is the best we can.

Vertigo

Vertigo, do you think the shingles came on from benzo withdrawal? My husband got a terrible case of shingles when he was 29 after a terribly stressful event. It as so awful and painful for him.

Unless some major healing starts I do not think I will be 80% better at the 6 month mark. I feel more at 60%.

Very sorry about your dad, that's tough! I hope everything goes good with him.

Hi Sunny. Sorry bout your hubby's shingles. The shingles for me was a combo of being tired and stressed out from the taper plus a very stressful situation at the same time with my father being in hospital nearly dying at the same time and multiple arguments and conflicts in the weeks off valium re my fathers health care decisions.  it was a perfect storm.

What happened with your thyroid and adrenal tests last month?

Vertigo

Hi Sunny. Sorry bout your hubby's shingles. The shingles for me was a combo of being tired and stressed out from the taper plus a very stressful situation at the same time with my father being in hospital nearly dying at the same time and multiple arguments and conflicts in the weeks off valium re my fathers health care decisions.  it was a perfect storm.

What happened with your thyroid and adrenal tests last month?

Vertigo

I had to cancel the appt. as I had another health scare come up, a lump on my thyroid. I had a needle biopsy done last week and found out yesterday it was benign!!!  I plan to reschedule the other tests.

I see.  How are you feeling in general Sunny71?  

Are you sleeping well?  

Do you have much anxiety or blues or both?

What kinds of foods are you eating these days?

You said you're about 60%.  What is left in the 40% that you hope to achieve in coming months?

Anything fun this weekend going on?

Best,

Verti

I just PM'd you, I have the flu something fierce right now.

Before I got sick I was just nuts with the nervousness and sleep problems.

I take trazodone and a tiny bit of seroquel to sleep and I was tapering off of the seroquel (6.25 mgs) and I went too fast and triggered major insomnia again. Now I'm sick and not sleeping too.

The last 40% is this inner nervousness that I feel 24/7...When it is gone I think I will feel healed. It's awful, I feel swallowed up by it.

Because of the flu I am not having any fun this weekend. I had fun plans, but am too sick to do any of it.  :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sunny.  Hope you're over your flu.  I enjoyed reading your six month update.  Sounds like your window is still wide open and your anxiety is "under control".   Maybe the flu bug killed your anxiety :pokey::laugh:.  I am going to try and get back to regular and more intense cardiac work outs.  I've put on a few pounds this month, had Chinese food over the weekend too :idiot:.  Walking the dog has not been enough to get my endorphins up either.  I find that I need a good sweat to get out the toxins.  I think I'll get on the exercise bike and give it a go today.

Best,

Vertigo

I am over my flu, just some residual stuffiness in my sinuses.

I slept a full 8 hours last night and feel a bit better this morning.

I have not been able to exercise since I got the flu. It went straight to my lungs, so if I even came close to being breathless it was trigger a coughing jag that made me feel like a lung was coming up. I am starting back with me 3 mile walk in 45 min. today. That is if it doesn't rain. If i does then I too will be on my exercise bike.

I am still not having any success losing weight, but I am trying to be patient. I do know that although I am doing much better with my anxiety and withdrawal, my cortisol levels are still messed up and my sleep issues are awful right now.

So I just keep trudging along and hope that soon I will start seeing pounds dropping off. A girl can dream right?  ;D