• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ve...]

• [Da...]

• [Su...]

• [pa...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry about the ongoing flu and trouble with weight loss Sunny. Hey Stardust, always good to see you.  Well, I'm over this sinus thing, finished the antibiotics today.  I'm gonna ease back to more exercise this month and in April. I've kind of let the weights go since end of last year.  I think its time to get back to basics in terms of sit ups, push ups and some light muscle toning weights.  Also hope to get back to more regular cardio work outs at least three times a week.  Walking the dog is exercise but it's not going enough, me thinks :). I've stopped the heavy dieting but still watching what I eat and limiting the carbs as well.

Best,

Vertigo

• 2 weeks later...

yehaa !! i gained a few pounds

I've been force feeding and buying new pants to cope with a max loss of about 18lb on 178.

noticed it being ok lately and got on old scale and saw now up 4lb going oops better stop non-stop eating little meals.

got new accurate scale- wife will not be happy -old one was 5 lb low... :o which i suspected.

I've lost 7 lbs in the last two months. May not seem like a lot, but on someone who was already on the thin side its very noticable. People are starting to make comments about my weight and how none of my clothes fit. Despite eating 3 regular meals and 2-3 snacks a day...I've definitely changed my eating habits and am eating less sugar and white flour and more fruit and proteins instead of a lot of carbs. I'm sure the fact that I can't sit still is contributing to it as well as the yoga and walking that I've taken up to rid myself of the anxiety...

I am just sick of people saying "you look too thin. You ARE eating right? You have to eat." :tickedoff:

I have lost 6 lbs. I would like to lose 5 more, but they are being more stubborn. I still have some exercise intolerance so I can't overdo the exercise or it revs me up. Little by little making progress! 5 lbs to go!

I have lost 6 lbs. I would like to lose 5 more, but they are being more stubborn. I still have some exercise intolerance so I can't overdo the exercise or it revs me up. Little by little making progress! 5 lbs to go!

Was it hard for you to lose weight while in benzo withdrawal?

I have not been able to lose weight despite heroic efforts!  I am 6 1/2 months off and am just curious if you just finally were able to lose weight. I noticed in your signature you are a couple of months ahead of me in being off benzos.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi buddies. Just bumping this up for another buddie of mine to find this thread easily.  I will post something about my recent weight changes shortly,

Best,

Vertigo

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I need to gain weight and I can't. I'm 5'6 and 105 lbs (I was about 115 before my taper) and I literally ate like a pig from mid-June-present (I forced myself to) and MAYBE gained 1-2 lbs. Now I'm trying really really hard but I have no appetite. Gaining weight should really be more fun lol  :-\

• 5 weeks later...
I have lost 100 lbs since being on the librium, i can eat big macs, pizza, healthy food it doesnt matter.  What I do know is ive lost 100 lbs in 7 months! When tappering its even worse soc did ct scan to check for chrons have done blood tests with no parasites.  Cannot figure out why my body has lost so much weight I eat 3 meals a day plus snacks and it doesnt make a difference. So I feel stuck and scared its not like Ive gone on a diet or even exercised at all, shouldnt someobe who is predominately couch bound eating whatever gain weight??!! Im scared if I start tapering again that I will die from the weight loss and loss of muscle alone.  Any thoughts?

Hello,

Have you struggled with nausea and difficulty eating food (maybe some loss of weight) during this process? If so, what have you used or done to combat it?

Hi Vertigo,

Have you struggled with nausea and difficulty eating food (maybe some loss of weight) during this process? If so, what have you used or done to combat it? I have titrated down significantly from Temazapam 30 mg over a year ago, to appx 3.5 mg now...crossing to 2 mg V tonight.  I was diagnosed with "post infectious IBS" 6 1/2 years ago, and started the benzo 4 /12 years ago.  However, my symptoms are worse now, and I am having the darndest time gaining weight.  I run a gym, am the head trainer - but have little energy - with headaches, sweats, anxiety and nausea.  I have been gluten, dairy, soy, nut, allergen free for years.  When I am going through it I lose 5-10 pounds and it takes a while to gain it back.  Has anyone else suffered with this and if so, how have you worked through it?  Also, has anyone seen a reduction in gastro symtoms when the benzo's are reduced or on the other side of w/d?

• 1 month later...

Mommy of two, i would get a check up if i were you.  Losing weight while eating the food you desribed is unusual.  I have a couple of friends who kept losing weight despite eating normal or more than normal, and they both found out they were sick after getting a check up. 

Do it just in case, better safe than sorry

Hi.  I've read on a few threads that many buddies are being impacted by weight gain or weight loss during withdrawal and could use some support whether still withdrawing from a taper or post benzo taper.

I've had this problem in the last year myself.  During taper, I lost weight just from a revved up system. At the end of my taper and post taper, I gained weight and a few months later was surprised to see that my blood pressure was the highest it ever was and I had a minor panic incident with palpitations.  My doctor advised a beta blocker but I elected to exercise and eat healthier.  I was able thus far to reduce the blood pressure after a couple weeks of watching my lifestyle but I still have some further work to do with my health.  It seems that many folks may be suffering a variety of side effects that they may attribute to benzo withdrawal but may also be related to the weight they have rapidly lost or gained.  For example, excess insulin can cause heart problems, hypoglycemia, over active adrenal glands and anxiety, chronic fatigue, depression, inflammation and increase in blood pressure as mentioned above to name just some factors.  Also, one can have more anxiety from eating too many sugary foods or consuming too much caffeine or chocolate that has caffeine in it.  Do any of you out there experience these symptoms?

After reading more on the subject of adrenal burnout in some nutrition and diet books, I came across a chapter about insulin resistance and pre diabetes, supposedly millions of people have insulin resistance and don't even know it, despite maybe having a normal fasting glucose test at the annual check up at the doctor.  I now suspect that the anxiety I had before benzos and now after benzos may be related to this insulin problem I've struggled with most of my life.  Sugar and caffeine really rev my system up.  I've been trying to reduce sugar and refined white flour from my diet the last three weeks and find myself feeling better at times but also depressed.  Yet the anxiety seems to be less than it was on most days, but sometimes it has returned on busy mornings.  I'm wondering if anyone has experienced more anxiety or blues either during withdrawal or post benzo relating to weight gain or loss?    In other words, has anyone gained weight or lost weight during tapering or after the taper and how has it impacted you?  Any advice? 

Thanks,

Vertigo (and sugary treats no more :laugh:)

I gained 20 lbs and can't get rid of it no matter how less I eat or how much more exercise I do. Not even an ounce.

I gained 20 lbs and can't get rid of it no matter how less I eat or how much more exercise I do. Not even an ounce.

Same here Benzogirl, except I've gained over 60 lbs. (I'm not competing with you or anything  :heybabe:)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
I think this definitely deserves a bump.  I managed to lose 40 pounds after coming off of Depakote and eating healthy for the majority of the withdrawal period.  I am still on Klonopin which is probably responsible for my inability to lose the remaining 10 - 20 pounds.  I went from a size 38 - 40 waist to a size 34 - 36 waist.  I still have belly fat though which makes me wonder where the heck all of the weight was that I lost.  How has everyone else been doing with their weight loss goals?

Mommy of 2, same thing happened to me and now it's just the opposite.  No matter what I eat, I'm carrying around extra fat in my midsection and hips.  Lost muscle, too.  Go to the doctor to rule out something else, but I think it's the benzo.  Horrible drug.

Same here Benzogirl, except I've gained over 60 lbs. (I'm not competing with you or anything  :heybabe:)

Ugh. I just feel like a pig. And what did I have for dinner tonight? Chocolate chip pancakes. :crazy:

I gained a total of 20 pounds after I quit xanax 6 months ago. I managed to lose 15 pounds...but I run 7-9 miles 5 days a week. The other two days are spent lifting weights.  I eat a good amount of food...but the healthy stuff. I truly feel that I should be skinnier than I am right now.  It's definitely the benzos. The last 5 pounds won't budge.  I'll just have to cut back on my calories. 

Hang in there everyone....we will lose the weight as soon as we are past this  ;)

I gained a total of 20 pounds after I quit xanax 6 months ago. I managed to lose 15 pounds...but I run 7-9 miles 5 days a week. The other two days are spent lifting weights.  I eat a good amount of food...but the healthy stuff. I truly feel that I should be skinnier than I am right now.  It's definitely the benzos. The last 5 pounds won't budge.  I'll just have to cut back on my calories. 

Hang in there everyone....we will lose the weight as soon as we are past this  ;)

It's no surprise you were able to lose 15 pounds because that's an impressive amount of exercise.  That level of commitment to exercise is something I am being told I need to reach before I begin tapering my final medication which is 3 mg of Klonopin.  Did you see any improvements with your insomnia when you managed to run 7 to 9 miles 5 days per week and lift weights the other two days consistently?

Lifeinchaos,

Absolutely...I'm sleeping much better.  I consistently get 5 hours straight everynight.  I sleep another 2 hours of broken sleep.  Don't get me wrong, I have the random REM rebound nights where I'm up, on and off all night long. All part of the process I guess. 

The exercise has transformed me body physcially and mentally.  I can feel it pulling me out of this mental withdrawal.  Sometimes if I'm having a high symptom day, I'll exercise a couple times.  I'll do my run in the AM, and a couple weight lifting dvd's in the afternoon. It seems obsessive, but I don't care...it helps so much.  It's not like I'm anorexic....I still need to lose 5 more pounds to be in the "healthy" category of the bmi chart. I'm a better person after I exercise....depression, anxiety dissipates.

After this expereince, I will exercise every day of my life as long as I can. Everyone needs to exercise daily, even if it's just a little. 

Start your workout today...go easy on yourself...I started with 1-2 miles and worked up from there.  I jumped right into the weight lifting since I knew that would help my running. Lactic acid and shin splints go away over time.  Fight through the fatigue...there were so many times when I felt like someone was pushing me down and I kept running.  That feeling went away after 10 mins of running...this proves it's all mental.  Keep me updated on your progress...You can do this! :thumbsup:

I've read that high cortisol levels cause the body to put weight around the gut area.  Have also heard that benzos can affect gut motility and ability to absorb/digest food, too.