Cancer Support Group

[so...]

Chemo gave me big time peripheral neuropathy in my feet and hands. Especially my feet. Lots of numbness, and if my toes touched anything like furniture I'd get an electric zap.

It is resolving very gradually. I still find myself wiggling my toes because they feel numb and weird. But don't benzodiazepines also have the potential to cause neuropathy?

I have not experienced joint pain. But I think we got different chemos. I was given cisplatin, carboplatin and taxol. Loads of fun, those poisons.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Tr...]

• [Ho...]

• [so...]

• [az...]

Top Posters In This Topic

tryingtobepositive,

Thank you for your welcoming reply, To answer your question I was on 3-4mgs of xanax i am now on 3 mgs of Valium to help me tapper. I have come down quite a lot. I could not imagine how hard it must be to differentiate between the damage from cancer treatment or benzo withdrawals. Melanoma does not respond to chemo and i was only offered interferon for systemic treatment. Interferon only would have given me a 5% increase in survival rate for a years of hell, i choose not to do it. Studies just came out stating that interferon does not work at all for MEL so i guess i choose right. I having a hard time differentiating between benzo withdrawal, anxiety, or something more sinister. My face tingles, twitches, and tightens on the right side. I had bells palsy on the same side when i was 18. i wonder if the benzos made the damaged nerve more excitable??? what do you think?

Hi there, I just found this site. I've been on BB for about 2 mos. I too was dx with malig melanoma in Dec ,15..I've had 2 surgeries. Mine was stage 1. I was 5 mos benzo free when disgnosed. The benzo detox was 100 x worse for me than the cancer and surgeries. I too had lymph nodes removed, left thigh, and they were cancer free. Ferggie

Hello Ferggie Welcome,

Thank heaven yours was only stage 1 :thumbsup:. I agree that the withdrawal is worse than the surgeries and the cancer. Although I was certain that i was a goner for the first year. Melanoma is a very scary cancer since there is really no treatment unless you get on a clinical trial. I have to say that the fear i experienced with the not knowing was going to spread was way worse than the fear i get in withdrawal. Why did you decide to get off Benzos?

tryingtobepositive,

Thank you for your welcoming reply, To answer your question I was on 3-4mgs of xanax i am now on 3 mgs of Valium to help me tapper. I have come down quite a lot. I could not imagine how hard it must be to differentiate between the damage from cancer treatment or benzo withdrawals. Melanoma does not respond to chemo and i was only offered interferon for systemic treatment. Interferon only would have given me a 5% increase in survival rate for a years of hell, i choose not to do it. Studies just came out stating that interferon does not work at all for MEL so i guess i choose right. I having a hard time differentiating between benzo withdrawal, anxiety, or something more sinister. My face tingles, twitches, and tightens on the right side. I had bells palsy on the same side when i was 18. i wonder if the benzos made the damaged nerve more excitable??? what do you think?

Flame,

That's sounds like a reasonable explanation since you had Bell's palsy there before. Benzo withdrawal causes all sorts of muscle symptoms. And your MRI was clear right?

Ferrgie,

Welcome!

Welcome!

Hi there, I just found this site. I've been on BB for about 2 mos. I too was dx with malig melanoma in Dec ,15..I've had 2 surgeries. Mine was stage 1. I was 5 mos benzo free when disgnosed. The benzo detox was 100 x worse for me than the cancer and surgeries. I too had lymph nodes removed, left thigh, and they were cancer free. Ferggie

Hi Ferggie,

What benzo were you on?  You did a c/t?  How are you feeling now?

Happy you found us!

Hey, this place is hopping! Not that we really want it to... but I'm happy to meet you guys anyway.  :)

Flame, I also think it's a good chance that your symptoms are benzo related. I haven't had facial twitches, but I do get a random finger twitch now and then, and sometimes a body twitch. And sometimes my scalp tightens or feels like its "creeping", if that makes any sense.

Benzos give us lots of strange symptoms.

Hi everyone! I'm glad I found u all!

I was on klon and xanax for over 20 years. After several unsuccessful tapers, I entered a detox facility and quit cold turkey. It was short of unbelievable. I couldn't walk, talk, or even close my eyes for weeks. I had symptoms of brain damage, as my thumbs turned inward for months.

I slowly improved over the months. I'm free of benzos for 13 mos now.

I faced the malig melanoma at 5 mos out. I had several surgeries and now I'm cancer free/benzo free.

I'm about 95 % healed from the benzo wd..like I said, it was much worse than the cancer..

I hope and pray for good health for us all, Ferggie

I was on klon and xanax for over 20 years. After several unsuccessful tapers, I entered a detox facility and quit cold turkey. It was short of unbelievable. I couldn't walk, talk, or even close my eyes for weeks. I had symptoms of brain damage, as my thumbs turned inward for months.

I faced the malig melanoma at 5 mos out. I had several surgeries and now I'm cancer free/benzo free.

I'm about 95 % healed from the benzo wd..like I said, it was much worse than the cancer..

Wow!  Glad you are doing better.  Did they give you any other meds to help with the detox?  Sometimes I just want to C/T and get it over with but don't think I'd do well. I feel like I'm going to be tapering forever.  What dose did you C/T from?

I was on about 1.5 mg klon per day. They gave me an anti seizure drug for 2 weeks after cold turkey. I don't recommend ct. I didn't know about the Ashton method!

I was on about 1.5 mg klon per day. They gave me an anti seizure drug for 2 weeks after cold turkey. I don't recommend ct. I didn't know about the Ashton method!

I'm definitely not going to CT, sometimes get so frustrated with the tapering process though that I just want to be done. But I know I would suffer even worse so I'll just keep

Pushing forward.

Hey, this place is hopping! Not that we really want it to... but I'm happy to meet you guys anyway.  :)

Flame, I also think it's a good chance that your symptoms are benzo related. I haven't had facial twitches, but I do get a random finger twitch now and then, and sometimes a body twitch. And sometimes my scalp tightens or feels like its "creeping", if that makes any sense.

Benzos give us lots of strange symptoms.

Makes sense to me :D

Wow ferggie that would be horrible to have your eye stuck open for so long. I don't understand why these drugs are given to people! I see their usefulness with dystonia and epilepsy but not for anything else!

- Hope 76 as my nurse said " no phone call means their nothing serious on the MRI" I haven't gotten a phone call so..... It could still be a compressed nerve by an artery causing my symptoms or nothing at all I will know the answer next Wednesday.

I have had a 2 week break from college and can't sleep at night and then fall asleep at 4 am and sleep all day! I think I'm depressed or my cortisol is out balance from the benzos and all the stress I have been through in the last 2 years. At least I'm sleeping right.? :crazy: This pattern is causing more depression and anxiety ( downward spiral).

Cancer is suck an assh#le

Wow Ferggie, I was on only .25 mg of Klonopin and tried to just stop taking it and I didn't last 24 hours!  I definitely can't say that benzo withdrawal was worse than my cancer treatment because for me that's not the case.  But quite a few cancer survivors say that.

Happy you are free from both and almost totally healed :)

Thanks tryingtobepositive, I guess for me benzo wd was the worst because I didn't go thru chemo. I was surely surprised how bad benzos had messed me up. I was a nurse for years, and had no idea what I was doing.

Take care! Ferggie

Thanks tryingtobepositive, I guess for me benzo wd was the worst because I didn't go thru chemo. I was surely surprised how bad benzos had messed me up. I was a nurse for years, and had no idea what I was doing.

Take care! Ferggie

Don't feel bad, I've been feeling a constant sense of what I will call derealization for almost a little longer than I've been on benzos which is...26 years.  I have spent countless hours, doctors trips, ect.  Over the years to figure out what the hell is wrong with me.  It may turn out that it started as an inner ear problem but morphed into a hazy derealization state due to the Klonopin!  I won't know until I'm done healing but just the thought of that being the reason makes me feel really stupid :o

Take care! Ferggie

Don't feel bad, I've been feeling a constant sense of what I will call derealization for almost a little longer than I've been on benzos which is...26 years.  I have spent countless hours, doctors trips, ect.  Over the years to figure out what the hell is wrong with me.  It may turn out that it started as an inner ear problem but morphed into a hazy derealization state due to the Klonopin!  I won't know until I'm done healing but just the thought of that being the reason makes me feel really stupid :o

I'm a doctor and I got accidentally addicted to Xanax in a few weeks. How dumb is that? I knew it was addictive but had no idea how bad it could be. I thought I was safe at a low dose and could easily stop or taper off.  I didn't get chemo either but I don't think the chemo for breast cancer is as bad as benzo withdrawal from talking to others. But the chemo TTBP got sounds pretty badass and scary, so I can imagine it was worse than benzos.

Whatever is worse , we are all survivors!

Today I'm kicking anxiety in the balls! I'm going shopping, then maybe getting a new hairdo. I've been feeling old lately. It's funny, all the styles I like are on 20 yr old models lol..oh well, 20 year Olds here I come!

I had my first panick attack when I was 14, now I'm in my 50's. I was shopping, lol..so I have always had trouble in stores. Which should make my hubby happy, since I don't shop often. Too bad there is online shopping, :/  .........

Take care! Ferggie

I'm a doctor and I got accidentally addicted to Xanax in a few weeks. How dumb is that? I knew it was addictive but had no idea how bad it could be. I thought I was safe at a low dose and could easily stop or taper off.  I didn't get chemo either but I don't think the chemo for breast cancer is as bad as benzo withdrawal from talking to others. But the chemo TTBP got sounds pretty badass and scary, so I can imagine it was worse than benzos.

Wow Hope you're a doctor, what kind?  It's funny how that can happen right?  You don't think something will be that bad then bam...I guess this is a live and learn experience for all of us!  How's your stomach doing?

I had my first panick attack when I was 14, now I'm in my 50's. I was shopping, lol..so I have always had trouble in stores. Which should make my hubby happy, since I don't shop often. Too bad there is online shopping, :/  .........

Wow 14 is so young!  I was 20 and in a car.  One of my missions this year is to face my fears and to learn as much as I can about how to naturally deal with anxiety and especially panic attacks.  Crossing my fingers ;)

I ama cardiologist but have been out of practice a few years. I had to have a major leg surgery which took a year to recover from then just ended up being a stay at home mom. It was fun, until all this crap happened. I think I had my first panic attack around 14 too. I was having major health anxiety and convinced myself I was having a hear attack. I have learned to just deal with it without meds but had a major health crisis with my eyes that got me hooked on the Xanax. This benzo experience has really taught me that just plain old anxiety is childs play compared to withdrawal. Still, I do need to work on coping mechanisms myself. My stomach has been much better the past few days. I have held for 4 weeks so I'm cutting tomorrow. Wish me luck!

I ama cardiologist but have been out of practice a few years. I had to have a major leg surgery which took a year to recover from then just ended up being a stay at home mom. It was fun, until all this crap happened. I think I had my first panic attack around 14 too. I was having major health anxiety and convinced myself I was having a hear attack. I have learned to just deal with it without meds but had a major health crisis with my eyes that got me hooked on the Xanax. This benzo experience has really taught me that just plain old anxiety is childs play compared to withdrawal. Still, I do need to work on coping mechanisms myself. My stomach has been much better the past few days. I have held for 4 weeks so I'm cutting tomorrow. Wish me luck!

I of course wish you boat loads of luck!  Great that your stomach has been better :thumbsup:

Maybe this will be your easiest cut yet...

I hope everyone is feeling well today. I'm sorry if I dont respond individually to your responses. I'm on a cell phone and it makes it difficult.

I'm at my oncology appt this morning. I'm nervous and feel like I might get diarrhea. So I arrived early so I can use the restroom if I have to. I have that same nervous feeling that I had as a little child and had to leave my mother for school. It's a sick, nervous, hollow feeling. It's just a followup appt. But I don't like going to doctor appts..ugh..