Anyone else taking or have taken Tramadol/Ultram?

[ma...]

Hello BenzoBuddies,

It's Maggie again. I'm doing a very slow taper on Valium (currently at 24 mg a nite) and feel like I'm doing pretty good and make slow, but steady progress. I started on 30 mg of Valium about 6 weeks ago.

Anyway, I was wondering if taking Tramadol is a really bad thing?  I have had chronic back pain for three years and have not responded well to chiropractics, physical therapy, or herbal supplements.  I was taking Vicodin for a long time but eventually felt uncomfortable since I know that's addicting and you get a little "high" from it.  I asked my doctor for an alternative and he prescribed Tramadol 300mg (brand name: Ultram Extended Release) per day.  It controls my pain and doesn't seem to have bad side effects. It doesn't make me "high" and I have not abused the drug. I use as prescribed and have not needed more. 

However, I understand that Tramadol is addicting and needs to be tapered when discontinued.  Do you know if Tramadol withdrawal is really awful like benzo withdrawal?  I was sooo ignorant about benzos and don't want to get myself in the same hole with Tramadol.  I've read up on it and there's not much info about withdrawal.

Anyway, if any of the buddies, moderators, or the administrator have any feedback, I'd really appreciate it. I'm just so hypersenstive about my meds now.

Kinda Nervous, :-\

Maggie

• 2 months later...

i took it - it is stressful to the liver and really backed me up - it also didn't work as good as a tens unit and my pt equipment.

i suspect it is very highly addictive - i stopped taking it.

Thanks for your feedback :)

I'm actually not taking the ultram anymore as I switched pain medication.  I'm continuing to pursue non-med treatment for my pain as I don't want to add to the list of addicting meds :crazy:

Take Care & Thanks,

Maggie