Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Feeling SCARD now b/c I'm taking Tramadol for pain. Is that a big problem?

[ma...]

Hello BenzoBuddies,

It's Maggie again. I'm doing a very slow taper on Valium (currently at 24 mg a nite) and feel like I'm doing pretty good and make slow, but steady progress. I started on 30 mg of Valium about 6 weeks ago.

Anyway, I was wondering if taking Tramadol is a really bad thing?  I have had chronic back pain for three years and have not responded well to chiropractics, physical therapy, or herbal supplements.  I was taking Vicodin for a long time but eventually felt uncomfortable since I know that's addicting and you get a little "high" from it.  I asked my doctor for an alternative and he prescribed Tramadol 300mg (brand name: Ultram Extended Release) per day.  It controls my pain and doesn't seem to have bad side effects. It doesn't make me "high" and I have not abused the drug. I use as prescribed and have not needed more. 

However, I understand that Tramadol is addicting and needs to be tapered when discontinued.  Do you know if Tramadol withdrawal is really awful like benzo withdrawal?  I was sooo ignorant about benzos and don't want to get myself in the same hole with Tramadol.  I've read up on it and there's not much info about withdrawal.

Anyway, if any of the buddies, moderators, or the administrator have any feedback, I'd really appreciate it.

Nervous and Confused :-\,

Maggie

Hi, Maggie,

I don't know the answer, but if I were in your shoes, I would call a few local pharmacists to see what they say. That will at least give you more information.

You could also ask one of our members, CC. I saw in one of her posts that she has gotten off Tramadol.

Thanks for your advice Therese,

Maybe I'll out my post on another section of the forum that's more read.  Maybe that person who got off tramadol will see my post and respond.  I'm just so hypersenstive now about what medications I'm taking.

Maggie