****Another Success Story that healing really does happen!!****

[Al...]

Hi Everyone! I have not logged on BB in a very long time and I often think of everyone on this site. There are so many new names.

Two weeks ago my mom passed away very suddenly. She was suffering from Parkinson's Disease and Dementia for the last two years and I was very involved in taking care of her. Mom was diagnosed with stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer and she died 5 days later. I was very fortunate to have been able to jump on a plane and spend the last 5 days with my mom.

I feel that I want to share my story only because I want to convey to everyone on BB that once you heal you are healed and healing REALLY does happen, just like the name of my success story. I had NO benzo w/d side effects when my mom died and I was able to perform her eulogy at her funeral.  I have always been afraid of death however watching my mom die peacefully in her home has helped me be at peace. I have come to accept that she is now in a better place without any suffering. When I was on a Benzo for 6 or 7 years I was never able to cry, it was as if my brain was emotionally empty. Since going off a benzo I am now able to cry and my emotions are back.  Despite losing my mom I am still sleeping 8 hours per night without taking anything. I will be 18 months off a Benzo on June 1st and to this day I have only taken advil or tylenol.  I am still working out every day and of course still eating healthy.  My memory is a sharp as it was when I was in my 20's.

I'm not logging onto BB too often since I am out enjoying and living my life just like my mom would have wanted. I apologize for not returning all of the PM's that I have received.

I hope that everyone who reads my success story believes in healing. It will happen to you however it's just a matter of time. I had over 75 weird symptoms and if I could heal from a cold turkey you will heal too. Never ever give up believing this.

I wish everyone continued healing.

Best always!

Fran :smitten:

• Like 1

Hey, I'm happy to read this, Fran.  You always had a good attitude.  I'm completely well too and so loving living my life again!  Sorry for your loss, but the way it all worked out was lovely.

Hi Franny

What a great job you did! I always thought your exercise program was "Always Fantastic". John Ratey's book SPARK had a really strong influence on me too. One question: do you have any little nagging symptoms or are you completely healed? May you continue to have a wonderful life

Your Buddy

Bart

Hi Bart-Nice to her from you. After reading "Spark" I am 100% convinced that exercise is what expedited my healing. I still communicate with Dr. Ratey and he could not fathom that it was even possible that I had 75 symptoms for 6-7 months after c/ting such a small dose of Valium. Dr. Ratey is a Shrink and this validates that most doctors really know nothing about Benzo's. Dr. Ratey told me that GabaA receptors do down regulate while taking a Benzo daily however he disagreed with me that the brain makes extra Glutamate. I learned all about the benefits of exercise from Dr. Ratey and he learned about crazy w/d symptoms.

I am happy to say that I do not have any nagging symptoms and I am completely healed. When my mom died I thought a symptom or two would pop up but nothing did. Losing a parent is one of the hardest things (besides coming off a benzo) and once you come off a Benzo you can do anything in life.

It truly is amazing how the brain does revert back to homeostasis and I never stopped believing that I would heal.

Best always,

Franny

This is still one of my favourite success stories. Although my situation is a bit more complicated , it's very inspirational!

Hi, Fran. Sorry for your loss. But glad to hear you're still doing so well. I'm not there yet, but it's always good to hear more proof that full healing can and does happen.

Shirah - why did you taper off progesterone? Was it causing a problem? My psychologist and physician say I can take it forever with no problem - and they ARE helping me with benzo withdrawal and are NOT the ones who got me into this mess in the first place. Progesterone has helped my withdrawal.

Thanks,

MirandaJane

Thank you Drew, Shira and Corsair! I hope you guys are doing well and I often think about everyone from the Exercise and Insomnia group.

Keep chugging along because it's so worth it in the end. Once you see the light at the end of the tunnel there is no going back to benzo hell. You just go forward and live your life and realize you made it!!!

XO Fran

Nice to see you again Frantastic.  Sorry about your mother.  I am glad you're 100%.  You kicked butt to help your recovery.  I'll be done with my taper in about a week or two.  I am 90% recovered.  Pretty much healed but I will drop off at 0. 

Best Wishes

• 6 months later...

Hi Everyone! Exactly two years from today (at 3:00 AM) I swallowed my last Benzo! If I close my eyes I can picture taking the little yellow pill. If you are still suffering please believe me when I say that all of the crazy benzo side effects will eventually fade away. Once you are healed you forget about all of the symptoms because you start living your life again. One of my worst side effects was that my hair was shedding and breaking for 7 - 8 months. This was so disheartening. I am happy to report that my hair has grown so fast and the breakage is almost all gone. Another example how our bodies do recover. Time is the only true healer so please hold on.

I'm still exercising every day and eating healthy. I recently had my yearly physical and everything was great. My LDL went up a little and I was reading that taking Omega 3 fish oil daily can increase your LDL. If anyone is taking Fish Oil you might want to get your cholesterol checked.

I know that everyone is going to heal in time. Exercise, eating healthy, laughter and distraction are so important. In 2015 I c/t off Valium, in 2016 my mom and my Aunt (who was my second mom) died suddenly. We can't ask why things happen however, we learn to make it through each day and we become much stronger. Remember once you come off a Benzo you can do anything in life. I'm wishing everyone a very Happy New Year. Here's to 2017, it's going to be a FRANTASTIC year!

Always Frantastic:)

Thanks for coming back to let us know you are healed.Very positive and sounds like you were really reasonable with yourself.Excellent.Thanks for sharing!!wen

Yeah, thanks for coming back and for your always encouraging words. Glad to know you continue to do well, with 0 setbacks. I'm also very optimistic about 2017 -- not ready to write my success story, but inching closer.

• 2 years later...
I am also a true believer in exercise for healing. I was on klonopin and paxil for 25 yrs. I did a 6 month taper off of both. I am now 5 months out and doing very well. I have a few light symptoms hanging around but nothing I can't deal with. In the beginning I had tons of symptoms and had to push myself to be active to move go distract and try and function but I did everyday. I truly believe it speeds healing helps loosen those horrible stiff muscles and helps with anxiety and sleep. Thanks for your story Fran just wanted to say yes I think you are spot on with the exercise and healthy eating.

Great success story.ive scared myself to death by being on the forums in fb and all over. I keep scaring myself. I am off the Valium and nothing has happened but it’s only 8 days. I am so severely depressed. It’s awful.