****Another Success Story that healing really does happen!!****

[Al...]

Matt333-It was pretty intense, however it only lasted for 3 hours per day. I think what made my acute w/d so intense was that I had multiple s/x's all at once. High blood pressure, fast pulse and horrible anxiety.

It never crossed my mind to take a rescue dose during my entire recovery. I am a very determined person and once I decide to do something there is NO turning back. When I finally learned all about Benzo's I felt terrible what I did to my poor brain. I knew that every day I was not swallowing this poison my brain was healing:)

Matt333-It was pretty intense, however it only lasted for 3 hours per day. I think what made my acute w/d so intense was that I had multiple s/x's all at once. High blood pressure, fast pulse and horrible anxiety.

It never crossed my mind to take a rescue dose during my entire recovery. I am a very determined person and once I decide to do something there is NO turning back. When I finally learned all about Benzo's I felt terrible what I did to my poor brain. I knew that every day I was not swallowing this poison my brain was healing:)

This is exactly how I felt Fran...exactly. Once I make my mind up, thats it and I was the same, it was so incredibly intense, but I was never touching them again, no matter what. i was gonna die first!

Thank God that horrific acute phase is short lived and we just heal from there. I too felt so bad about what I had ignorantly done to my body...just had no clue  :-\

Mlmagic-Once you start to feel the healing that is occurring why would anyone take a rescue dose? Healing is a beautiful thing.

Dear Fran and Mimagic,

This describes my experience too. I was shocked these drugs prescribed by my ignorant but well meaning doc could do this kind of damage. Once I realized the source of the illness I was on a mission to heal. Now that I am off I am more determined than ever to reach full healing.

I'm am having some trouble accepting this next stage of healing...I want to feel better NOW! Suppose that is very common...once again must practice acceptance and patience. Even when I feel ill I am healing.  :-X

With gratitude,

Carita :smitten:

Thank you so much for the inspiring story. I just have a question though...i know that i will heal from a ct...but would it make any difference if i was not taking a benzo but a atypical antipsychotic?...would my brain competely heal from this type of drug as well?

I would like to recommend a wonderful book that I am reading "Rewire Your Brain" by John Arden. I only wish I read it while I was in recovery. Arden's chapter about the brain and sleep is exactly what my PDOC told me. It's a must read for everyone.

What was the brand of  yogurt?

Thanks,

MirandaJane

Hi MirandaJane-The brand of yogurt that contains the strain is Trader Joe's Organic Yogurt (I buy the low fat plain yogurt and I add Omega 3 flax seed in it). The other brand is by Stoney Field and some of my friends had a hard time finding it in their local supermarkets.

Attached is the article pertaining to the strain L Rhaminosus and Gaba in mice. I know that some people will say it has not proven in humans however, Yogurt is healthy so why not eat it daily. I turned a big corner once I started eating this Yogurt.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolutionary-psychiatry/201206/do-probiotics-help-anxiety

Always - thanks for the yogurt info. I have had lots of pain and gas with probiotics. But different probiotics might make a difference. I will check in to Trader Joe's Organic.

MirandaJane

Nice article.  I walk every day: 10 to 20 min in the morning at work during my break and 40 min. in the evening.  Started exercises with 2 lb. weights two days ago.  :angel:

Yes, a wonderful story, Fran, and thank you!!! I'm so happy that you're entirely healed and agree wholeheartedly that exercise helps so much in healing and in overall great health. Inspiring!!!

I want to thank everyone for all of your warm comments. It means a lot to me and it's only my pleasure to help everyone if I can.

In the first three months after stopping a benzo my waves always started daily at 11:00 AM until 2:00 PM (like clock work) and I thought it was odd that it always started the same time. What I found out after emailing Dr. Ratey and reading his book "Spark" is the reason for this was while I was exercising from 8:45 AM-10:45 AM my brain was making and releasing BDNF (brain derived neurotrophic factor) which Dr. Ratey considers to be a fertilizer for the brain. This chemical enhances and regrows GABAA receptors among other important functions in the brain.  20 to 25  minutes after I stopped exercising I would feel my wave start again. At 1:30 PM while still in a wave I drove to my gym and I lifted weights for 20 minutes. Five minutes into lifting weights I could feel the wave abate, and this happened every day. I personally think this is truly amazing and then I realized that exercise definitely enhances healing. This was a no brainer.

I know that a lot of people can not exercise while in recovery, however it's so important to keep moving (for the brain) as opposed to just sitting still. Even if you one can not exercise they should try to lift 2-3 pd weights while sitting on a couch or walking around the house holding weights. Dr. Ratey mentions this in his book.

I have been exercising daily while I was taking this poison and there is NO question that it down regulated my GabaA receptor however, perhaps I did not have as much damage since I was working out every day and making BDNF while taking a benzo. There hasn't been a study concluded about the ramifications of working out every day and taking a benzo. The brain is truly so fascinating and because the brain is plastic by exercising and creating BDNF it will return to homeostasis faster.

I hope that everyone reads the book Spark.

Hey Fran

I too get hit with a 'wave' or a daily 'flair up" at the same times each day ..Mine hit at night, usually after being awake for 8-9 hours or so.Then the  daily "Wave' starts. from hour 9-12, I get the symptoms. Benzo flu, wiped out 'sick' head pressue, blah, stressed,tense up, grip, feeling and sometimes mental stuff too. This happens each day now for the past 6 weeks. Even on a 'good' day I'll get this 3-4 hour block of 'wave' time.

And I don't exercise. I'm too sick. Well, I do try and walk each day but, I've been getting this daily 'flair up' like clockwork for the past 6 weeks, whether I excersise or not. It's the same time frame..

What do you think it is?

Is it 'good' that it's not totally a 'random' thing? It does have a pattern to it...

Every thing used to be a bit more loose symptom wise, it used to be more random.. Now for past 6 weeks it's constant. Same time..And Same symptoms...

What could this mean, do you think?

Is this a 'good' thing?

It still sucks, and now I never get a day off from symptoms anymore, but it is different. It is consistent, always at the same block of time. And it is a 'new' pattern.

JACD-I'm sorry that you are experiencing intense waves. I'm not a doctor however, I do know that Benzo healing is not linear and no two people have the same recovery. Recovery is the most baffling and intriguing ordeal because it's not scientific. I would continue to listen to your body and keep reassuring yourself that healing is taking place. Every day that you are not taking a Benzo your brain is healing and reverting back to homeostasis. Unfortunately this process can take a while.

My waves were always 3 hours per day and they were consistently at the same time just like your waves. I have no idea why this is however, I accepted the waves as a sign of healing. As I continued to heal the waves were not as intense and they did not last too long, eventually the waves abated and I was in a window. IMO having waves is a way of monitoring that you are healing. I listened to my body and I recognized that I was not in charge of healing but my brain was. By the 5th month I was in a window all day and if I had 15 minutes of feeling like crap I knew that healing was knocking at my door.

Thanks Fran!

Yes, I agree..My 'waves' hit at the same time each day too..It's usually when I wake up hour 1-4 or 1-6 is 'bad'..benzo flu,head ache, hyper speedy feeling..some times anxiety DP/DR..but then..it seems to fade..on most days...and then at night hour 9-12 it flairs up again..

That's usually my 'day'..but then the symptoms seem to be less intense as the months pass and also little symptoms seem to fade away or disappear too..

I'm still 'sick' like every single day BUT it seems a bit less 'sick' every single day! sigh...

But no long time windows...

My Tintinitis is less too lately...

We'll see! 9 month and 12 days now...

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone! I'm not logging onto BB too often these days however I am still thinking of everyone and I hope that everyone is feeling better.

I want to reiterate that healing really happens. One of the biggest changes I have noticed is that my short term memory is beyond amazing. I remember when I first c/t'd off of Valium I could not remember my brother's GF's name (my poor brain). Ten months later my short term memory is as sharp as it was when I was 20 years old and I am now able to retain everything.

I'm still working out 7 days a week however I have reduced my work out from 2 1/2 hours per day to 90 minutes a day. I am still eating very healthy and I'm getting 8 hours of solid sleep every night. I'm back to taking a 20 minute nap everyday and I no longer have to ever worry about waking up from a nap feeling weird. In summation life again is beautiful and it will be beautiful for you too.

I'm sending good wishes for everyone for a speedy recovery.

Fran:)

Hi Everyone! I'm not logging onto BB too often these days however I am still thinking of everyone and I hope that everyone is feeling better.

I want to reiterate that healing really happens. One of the biggest changes I have noticed is that my short term memory is beyond amazing. I remember when I first c/t'd off of Valium I could not remember my brother's GF's name (my poor brain). Ten months later my short term memory is as sharp as it was when I was 20 years old and I am now able to retain everything.

I'm still working out 7 days a week however I have reduced my work out from 2 1/2 hours per day to 90 minutes a day. I am still eating very healthy and I'm getting 8 hours of solid sleep every night. I'm back to taking a 20 minute nap everyday and I no longer have to ever worry about waking up from a nap feeling weird. In summation life again is beautiful and it will be beautiful for you too.

I'm sending good wishes for everyone for a speedy recovery.

Fran:)

HI FRAN!!!

So good to see your post. I was just thinking of you the other day and wondering how you are. Your out living life and that is so wonderful!

As it should be. God bless you and I know too, we all will be healed! 10 months for me on Dec 1st, Im so excited...1 year, here I come!  :thumbsup:

Fran! So nice to read you again! I was also thinking of you few days ago. Your success story gave me lots of hope back in the Summer.

All the best!  :smitten: