Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

You have to listen to your own body when cutting. don't let the amount of time you have left be discouraging. it is your taper and you can go as slow as you want. I know it is easy to be in a hurry but don't be. It only causes anxiety. My taper is very slow because of sxs and also other issues that life has thrown my way. steady and slow said the tortoise to the hare! good luck and take care of you first.

I agree with this, but is there a point where it becomes ridiculous? I don't mean to make waves, I'm just frustrated with how I'm feeling at the pace I'm going (should be off in another 7 months I HOPE), but I've seen some people take 1-2 years to taper off of sub 5mg. Do people really have to go that slow to be able to keep going, or are they doing it because they are not symptomatic and want to stay that way the entire time?

I think how much each person can handle is how much each person can handle. If people have a lot of other stressors in their lives, they may not be able to handle much in the line of symptoms. There are people trying to taper while working high-stress jobs, caring for elderly parents with dementia, caring for kids with autism, coping with ptsd, fighting cancer, living in unsafe places and without any emotional support, living with chronic pain, etc. Then there are people like me with mixed up genetics and abnormal liver enzymes that make me extremely sensitive to meds and extremely symptomatic with even small changes. It truly is an individual thing. The important thing is that we are each going in the right direction at a pace that is safe.  :)

:thumbsup:

That seems about right.

Sorry for the downer post. This process is so draining.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [bu...]

• [Ul...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I need help.  Started a liquid titration and mirco-tapering off temazepam capsules.  I developed a soar throat and infection.  Now I am back to dry cutting.  I would still like to micro tapering I brought a gram scale and vegetable capsules.  How much should I cut by daily?  I am currently on 6.25 mg of Temazepam.

T is half the potency of V so, at your dose, I'd maybe begin with a .03-.04mg per day cut and see how it goes.

I dose 3x daily and remove a total of .003 grams per day times the day that I am at. currently, it is .015 grams but I am holding as my wife is facing bypass surgery. The big question for me is How homogenous are the pills? Is the benzo throughout or concentrated in one area? I guess liquid titration would take that out of the equation and that is what I plan to do when I get halfway to freedom.

Sorry for the downer post. This process is so draining.

You've got that right! Fortunately, we all understand the feeling. Or would that be unfortunately? ::)

I dose 3x daily and remove a total of .003 grams per day times the day that I am at. currently, it is .015 grams but I am holding as my wife is facing bypass surgery. The big question for me is How homogenous are the pills? Is the benzo throughout or concentrated in one area? I guess liquid titration would take that out of the equation and that is what I plan to do when I get halfway to freedom.

You know, even my psychiatrist said he didn't totally trust the drug companies when they said the drug was distributed evenly. On the other hand, I dry cut my trazodone when I tapered it, and it seemed to work. For the benzos, I'm doing liquid. They are a million times harder for me, so I'm not taking any chances.

So sorry to hear about your wife's surgery. I think you are wise to hold while you and she go through this. Best wishes to her!

You have to listen to your own body when cutting. don't let the amount of time you have left be discouraging. it is your taper and you can go as slow as you want. I know it is easy to be in a hurry but don't be. It only causes anxiety. My taper is very slow because of sxs and also other issues that life has thrown my way. steady and slow said the tortoise to the hare! good luck and take care of you first.

I agree with this, but is there a point where it becomes ridiculous? I don't mean to make waves, I'm just frustrated with how I'm feeling at the pace I'm going (should be off in another 7 months I HOPE), but I've seen some people take 1-2 years to taper off of sub 5mg. Do people really have to go that slow to be able to keep going, or are they doing it because they are not symptomatic and want to stay that way the entire time?

I am tapering slowly, no more than 7-10% every two weeks, because I work full time. I would be thrilled if I could taper much faster and be off this stuff in a couple of months rather than another year.  I need to be able to function well at work, so I have no choice but to slowly taper.  The symptoms would be too much to handle if I increased my taper rate.

[0d...]

MT Friends,

Well, I've resumed my taper, reducing X by 1.8%  putting me at 0.63 mg total. For now, I am forced to continue with compounded capsules. 

Thanks for the support!

Marija

Well, pray for drugs! As a lot of you know, I've been feverishly trying to get scripts for my clonazepam so I can continue my MT. My newest primary doc won't write scripts for controlled substances, and I've tried everything known to man to find ANYONE in my insurance network who'd work with me. I went to see my D.O. today about my trashed thyroid (thanks, benzo) and she said she'd send a couple of referral forms to people she knows of in my network. They may not be taking new patients, but maybe they'll make an exception if I follow up and remind them what my doc did.

Fingers crossed!!!!

Geaux LSU.

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Sending positive thoughts your way.

doodle dog :thumbsup:

Jeff you an LSU fan?  I graduated from LSU  :)

What!!!!!!  You graduated from LSU??!!  I was born and raised in New Orleans and then graduated from LSU before moving to Los Angeles. Mike the Tiger, jambalaya, Golden Girls, Who Dat (Geaux Saints), Tiger Stadium, Dale Brown, the quadrangle....great stuff, huh? Man, I bet we could get together and tell some stories. I'm a Delta Tau Delta dude.

I love you man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff

I am tapering slowly, no more than 7-10% every two weeks, because I work full time. I would be thrilled if I could taper much faster and be off this stuff in a couple of months rather than another year.  I need to be able to function well at work, so I have no choice but to slowly taper.  The symptoms would be too much to handle if I increased my taper rate.

Anne, you are greased lightening compared to my taper!  :laugh:

MT Friends,

Well, I've resumed my taper, reducing X by 1.8%  putting me at 0.63 mg total. For now, I am forced to continue with compounded capsules. 

Thanks for the support!

Marija

:clap:  :thumbsup:  We can do this!

Well, pray for drugs! As a lot of you know, I've been feverishly trying to get scripts for my clonazepam so I can continue my MT. My newest primary doc won't write scripts for controlled substances, and I've tried everything known to man to find ANYONE in my insurance network who'd work with me. I went to see my D.O. today about my trashed thyroid (thanks, benzo) and she said she'd send a couple of referral forms to people she knows of in my network. They may not be taking new patients, but maybe they'll make an exception if I follow up and remind them what my doc did.

Fingers crossed!!!!

Geaux LSU.

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

What!!!!!!  You graduated from LSU??!!  I was born and raised in New Orleans and then graduated from LSU before moving to Los Angeles. Mike the Tiger, jambalaya, Golden Girls, Who Dat (Geaux Saints), Tiger Stadium, Dale Brown, the quadrangle....great stuff, huh? Man, I bet we could get together and tell some stories. I'm a Delta Tau Delta dude.

Jeff

So, other than loving Sharkey, how are you doing, Jeff?? Been wondering about you!!

Thanks,  body says cutting more near end is good, bc sxs now not bad. Had terrible tol wd, which makes a turtle pace unwise, and doesn't seem nec, considering I responded well to a "fast" but safe reduction from 8 mg.  Had I listened to similar advice in the beginning, I would have never known that a 10% cut/hold was not hell, but okay!  My question is what is a safe equivalent of micro daily cuts when I reach 1mg?  .003grams, .004?  I like to cut in safe and reasonable ranges, but don't know what they are with daily micro.  If anyone can advise, many many thanks!  Waverider

Holy snot, NYC!! You went from 7mg of Klonopin to 2.2mg in 5 MONTHS??!! How in the world did you do that? I was a little over 5mg for 12 years or so (21 1/2 years total on a benzo...started at 3mg). I'm having a hard time just moving along like I am right now. I'm at about 2.3mg/day.

Thanks!

Gardner,

I would prefer go slower, but I have a feeling my doctor might stop prescribing the lorazepam soon.  I have read many posts where doctors just stop prescribing.  This makes me very nervous so I have been tapering a bit faster than I would like, but at least if he cuts me off, I should have enough pills to get me through. The symptoms are manageable though so I will keep going at this rate. I know that when I get to 0.25 mg, I will need to slow down.  Hoping to get there by November.  I think it will then take another 8 to 10 months or so to taper off the 0.25 mg.

We will both get there, but it will take some time.

Have you started taking the Librium yet?  How are you feeling?

MT Friends,

Thanks for the support!

Marija

Marija,

Glad to hear you have resumed your taper.

I hope that you are feeling better.

Anne

Fingers crossed!!!!

Geaux LSU.

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Jeff

So, other than loving Sharkey, how are you doing, Jeff?? Been wondering about you!!

Howdy Gardener. You're a sweetheart. I'm still trying to find a way to get scripts. Saw a psych. today at the medical school who really degraded me, put me down, said I was on way too high a dose of K, and that I could taper off 2-3mg of the stuff in less than two months. Next thing I knew, we were face-to-face while I told him NEVER to talk to me or ANY patient like that ever again. He kept trying to interrupt me with his German accent and condescending tone. He was definitely the biggest jerk I've ever met in my life. I told him that it was HIS wonderful industry that put me on "too much K" to begin with, and thank you very much. His wonderful industry was fast to put me on the stuff, but was useless when it came to actually caring about people and helping me/them get off the poison that he/they prescribed. I also told him to say "hello" to Hitler when he dies.

Sorry, but I was ticked. Uh, I didn't get a script.

Next!!

Gardner,

I would prefer go slower, but I have a feeling my doctor might stop prescribing the lorazepam soon.  I have read many posts where doctors just stop prescribing.  This makes me very nervous so I have been tapering a bit faster than I would like, but at least if he cuts me off, I should have enough pills to get me through. The symptoms are manageable though so I will keep going at this rate. I know that when I get to 0.25 mg, I will need to slow down.  Hoping to get there by November.  I think it will then take another 8 to 10 months or so to taper off the 0.25 mg.

I totally hear you on being afraid of getting cut off. A couple of weeks ago my psychiatrist said he was concerned I was gong too slowly and I gasped, "Don't say that!!" He is pretty easy going so I'm not really concerned about him. Plus, I see a therapist in the same office so he can see her notes about how hard I am trying to do this. That helps. My concern is he is temporary and I don't know who will replace him when he goes. Maybe someone not so understanding. Of course, I could always go back to the drug pusher who prescribed them in the first place! I'll bet she would prescribe!

I just made my first substitution today under SG's guidance. Earlier posts show the schedule we set up, which is really slow.  Pssst, don't tell him, but I was so chicken that I didn't cut the Xanax as much as I was supposed to. I plan to actually do it correctly tomorrow and for a few days and then try another tiny switch. Eventually I will be able to combine doses and take fewer. I'm really looking forward to not having to dose in the middle of the night any more!! ;D

Thank you for asking! Hope you are doing, well!  :smitten:

Fingers crossed!!!!

Geaux LSU.

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Jeff

Howdy Gardener. You're a sweetheart. I'm still trying to find a way to get scripts. Saw a psych. today at the medical school who really degraded me, put me down, said I was on way too high a dose of K, and that I could taper off 2-3mg of the stuff in less than two months. Next thing I knew, we were face-to-face while I told him NEVER to talk to me or ANY patient like that ever again. He kept trying to interrupt me with his German accent and condescending tone. He was definitely the biggest jerk I've ever met in my life. I told him that it was HIS wonderful industry that put me on "too much K" to begin with, and thank you very much. His wonderful industry was fast to put me on the stuff, but was useless when it came to actually caring about people and helping me/them get off the poison that he/they prescribed. I also told him to say "hello" to Hitler when he dies.

Next!!

Oh dear! That didn't go as planned!  :o  :'(

[0d...]

MT Friends,

Thanks for the support!

Marija

Marija,

Glad to hear you have resumed your taper.

I hope that you are feeling better.

Anne

Gardener & Anne,

Thank you!

Although symptomatic, I feel emotionally positive knowing I'm moving forward again. Albeit at a 🐌 pace, but forward non the less. 👍

Marija

[0d...]

Fingers crossed!!!!

Geaux LSU.

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Jeff

Next!!

Oh dear! That didn't go as planned!  :o  :'(

Jeff, so sorry.

Absolutely appalling.

Hope you are able to find a provider soon.

Fingers crossed!!!!

Geaux LSU.

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Jeff

Next!!

Hey Jeff,

So glad that you gave him a piece of your mind.  Why are some doctors so condescending and arrogant.  We are trying to get this yucky stuff out of our systems and just need a doctor who will be understanding and patient to see us through to the end.

Take care,

doodle dog

Fingers crossed!!!!

Geaux LSU.

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Jeff

Next!!

Hey Jeff

Good on you for telling him straight up he deserved it, I remember the dr that I had who originally put me on A telling me that it was easy to get off, then when I told her my difficulty she wanted to palm me off to the psyche ward needless to say I found another dr who was much more sympathetic and is letting me do it my way.

Luv n hugs

Gypsy :thumbsup::smitten:

Gardner,

I totally hear you on being afraid of getting cut off. A couple of weeks ago my psychiatrist said he was concerned I was gong too slowly and I gasped, "Don't say that!!" He is pretty easy going so I'm not really concerned about him. Plus, I see a therapist in the same office so he can see her notes about how hard I am trying to do this. That helps. My concern is he is temporary and I don't know who will replace him when he goes. Maybe someone not so understanding. Of course, I could always go back to the drug pusher who prescribed them in the first place! I'll bet she would prescribe!

I just made my first substitution today under SG's guidance. Earlier posts show the schedule we set up, which is really slow.  Pssst, don't tell him, but I was so chicken that I didn't cut the Xanax as much as I was supposed to. I plan to actually do it correctly tomorrow and for a few days and then try another tiny switch. Eventually I will be able to combine doses and take fewer. I'm really looking forward to not having to dose in the middle of the night any more!! ;D

Thank you for asking! Hope you are doing, well!  :smitten:

Hi Gardner,

It looks like you and SG came up with a good plan.  Don't worry, I won't tell.  :) This is scary stuff.  It will be great that you will not need to worry about dosing at night. Most nights I sleep well. I could not imagine having to wake up after four hours and dose.  I am on three doses a day, but sometimes I find it hard to get up early to take my first dose. Last night I slept well and did not get up until about 9:00.  Today I was feeling some symptoms, but then realized that I had taken my last dose 11 hours earlier, so I am sure that has something to do with how I felt this afternoon.

I hope that you are feeling well today.  Good luck with the crossover. 

Hi Gardner,

It looks like you and SG came up with a good plan.  Don't worry, I won't tell.  :) This is scary stuff.  It will be great that you will not need to worry about dosing at night. Most nights I sleep well. I could not imagine having to wake up after four hours and dose.  I am on three doses a day, but sometimes I find it hard to get up early to take my first dose. Last night I slept well and did not get up until about 9:00.  Today I was feeling some symptoms, but then realized that I had taken my last dose 11 hours earlier, so I am sure that has something to do with how I felt this afternoon.

Thanks, Anne. So far so good! Well, except for the site being down again!  :o

Hi Gardner,

Thanks, Anne. So far so good! Well, except for the site being down again!  :o

Glad to hear it is going well.  Yes, the site seems to be down more often during the day.  I hope they are able to fix the issue soon.

Next!!

Jeff,

I am sorry to hear that it didn't work out today.  There is someone out there that will write the prescriptions. The only option is to keep looking.  Again, you might have to go outside of your insurance network.  I wish I could offer some helpful suggestions here, but I really can't think of anything else. Sydney gave some good suggestions in an earlier post.  I hope you get this resolved soon.