Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Post Benzo Freedom Withdrawal Support Group

[ve...]

That's great you were able to work out G.  Recumbant bike saved my life, literally.  I also like the bender ball for sit ups. 

Any other post benzo buddies who are benefiting from exercise?

Vertigo

Yes, I've started running again and doing strengthening exercises, about 3 times a week.  Was just too hot for me this summer, but now it's snowing, so yay!  Haven't had any issues where it has hurt my recovery, as far as I can tell.  So far it seems to be help me physically, and probably even more mentally. 

Z

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ve...]

• [gi...]

• [pa...]

• [An...]

Top Posters In This Topic

That's great you were able to work out G.  Recumbant bike saved my life, literally.  I also like the bender ball for sit ups. 

Any other post benzo buddies who are benefiting from exercise?

Vertigo

Yes, I've started running again and doing strengthening exercises, about 3 times a week.  Was just too hot for me this summer, but now it's snowing, so yay!  Haven't had any issues where it has hurt my recovery, as far as I can tell.  So far it seems to be help me physically, and probably even more mentally. 

Z

That's great Zeek.  It's not really snowing, is it?

V

Any more post benzo buddies out there?

V

Hey dude... Almost there... wanting to know what to expect?  Just took 0.15 mg tonight and thinking another week or so before my last dose.  I tried jumping at 0.30 mg but reinstated 60 hours later due to symptoms creeping back in.  I guess i am not supposed to talk taper plans but if I do jump at 0.15 mg, will I be ok?

I am going to now look at my fluctuating blood pressure as a sign of healing.  thanks for the information.  I never had high blood pressure before and hope it settles down after a month of benzo freedom. I was pretty surprized to have it just show up out of nowhere!

Anyone else have relentless stomach acid problems? Mine has been to the extreme especially here lately.

Not so much stomach acid but still having bouts of the runs that even immodium rapid doesn't touch. Haven't changed my diet or anything else I can identify.

Anyone else have relentless stomach acid problems? Mine has been to the extreme especially here lately.

Not so much stomach acid but still having bouts of the runs that even immodium rapid doesn't touch. Haven't changed my diet or anything else I can identify.

I found at times that eating more rice and banana helped with benzorhea.  Our vet tells us to add rice to our dog's kibble when he has the runs ;D.

Vertigo

I found at times that eating more rice and banana helped with benzorhea.  Our vet tells us to add rice to our dog's kibble when he has the runs ;D.

Vertigo

Thanks, V, at least I am in good company.  What is your puppy's name & I will picture him when I eat my rice.

Hey Donnie.  One can get stomach acid problems watching college football matches like Texas vs W. Virginia or Florida vs LSU!  Looks like South Carolina may have something to say about the Crimson Tide this year :pokey:;).

Vertigo

I am going to now look at my fluctuating blood pressure as a sign of healing.  thanks for the information.  I never had high blood pressure before and hope it settles down after a month of benzo freedom. I was pretty surprized to have it just show up out of nowhere!

Fluctuating blood pressure ought to be monitored by a physician.  Have you been checked out?  When I got the elevated BP in the early months off valium, I also took steps to improve my diet and exericise gradually.  Not all health issues are caused or related to benzo withdrawal/healing.  Better to be cautious and get medically checked.  Whether to go on medication is another matter to decide with one's doctor.  I chose not to although I was offered beta blockers.  I had stress treadmill tests and coronary CT scan done... I was comfortable that I was not on the verge of a stroke or heart attack, yet recognized that I did need to eat more healthy and lose some weight.    Others may decide with their doctor that medication is the best way to manage changes in blood pressure.

Vertigo

V and rest of post benzo folks,

Next week I will be 10 months benzo free. Throughout my post taper experience I've been averaging 6 1/2 hrs sleep and getting 20 min cat naps almost every day. About 3 weeks ago I began to experiment with low doses of melatonin. I really felt odd on 1 mg. so I tried .50 mg and then .25 mg. I tried this for about 6 nights and finally figured out that it was doing me more harm than good. I've been in a wave of insomnia that is far worse than when I was still tapering. I was hoping to start tapering the gabapentin but feel that my sleep needs to stabilize before I make any more changes. Anyone else have this kind of adverse reaction to melatonin?

Legos

I can't handle melatonin. It makes me agitated. I take benedryl instead.  It doesn't knock me out but when I wake in the middle of the night I can usually fall back to sleep. as long as my tinnitus isn't screeching.

I slept pretty well during my taper and for a month or so afterward, even though I was having night terrors and waking hallucinations. When I got slammed at month 3 my insomnia kicked in big time.  Last week was the first time I'd slept 6 solid hours, 2 nights in a row, in years.

I'm learning that what I eat for dinner plays a big role in how well I sleep.  I avoid anything heavy, I don't stuff myself and I avoid packaged food, pre-made stuffed pastas, sauces and peanuts.  I think it's helping, as I sleep 5 hours on average which is fantastic for me.

g

V and rest of post benzo folks,

Next week I will be 10 months benzo free. Throughout my post taper experience I've been averaging 6 1/2 hrs sleep and getting 20 min cat naps almost every day. About 3 weeks ago I began to experiment with low doses of melatonin. I really felt odd on 1 mg. so I tried .50 mg and then .25 mg. I tried this for about 6 nights and finally figured out that it was doing me more harm than good. I've been in a wave of insomnia that is far worse than when I was still tapering. I was hoping to start tapering the gabapentin but feel that my sleep needs to stabilize before I make any more changes. Anyone else have this kind of adverse reaction to melatonin?

Legos

Hi Leslie.  Sorry you've had an increase in sleep troubles and reaction to melatonin.  I recall that there was a pretty long discussion about melatonin on this thread, maybe 6 months ago? I wish I could be more specific, maybe you can skim through and find it.  I had tried it for a while too.  I think there is a difference between some of the brands and also some controversey about the dose.  Some say one may only need a very low dose while others seem to go with the 5mg.  I had used the 1mg tablets so I could take 2 or 3mg as needed.  Mtmimi had also posted quite a bit about L-Tryptophan around that same time.  Sorry I just don't remember at the moment where in this thread it was.  6 1/2 hours is about what I've been getting since my taper ended (anywhere from 5-6.5 but the last year, it's been closer to 6).  I hope you get some answers soon.  Always best to consult with one's physician even about over the counter medications.

Best,

Vertigo

V

Hey dude... Almost there... wanting to know what to expect?  Just took 0.15 mg tonight and thinking another week or so before my last dose.  I tried jumping at 0.30 mg but reinstated 60 hours later due to symptoms creeping back in.  I guess i am not supposed to talk taper plans but if I do jump at 0.15 mg, will I be ok?

Hi Memories.  You're getting close.  I think it is ok to ask taper questions at this juncture.  Your signature is unclear as to how much you reinstated and what your last taper looked like.  How much did you taper off in the last six months? And how much have you taken off in the last month, and month before that?  It's often hard to predict what to expect other than one can't predict with certainty, everyone is unique.  It will take a few weeks for the valium to process out.  You may be feeling symptoms now from cuts you made two and three weeks ago.  If you need to hold here a while, that is ok too, although 0.15 is not much, non therapeutic might be the term some use.  You've made it so let the healing begin :thumbsup:.

Vertigo

Legos, I looked back through this thread and it appears there are quite a few posts about melatonin, sleep disturbance, L-tryptophan, Silenor and other discussion of sleep between roughly pages 250 and 290 of this thread, which is about March 2012 to May 2012.  Always consult with one's physician about over the counter medications.

:smitten:

V

V

Hi Memories.  You're getting close.  I think it is ok to ask taper questions at this juncture.  Your signature is unclear as to how much you reinstated and what your last taper looked like.  How much did you taper off in the last six months? And how much have you taken off in the last month, and month before that?  It's often hard to predict what to expect other than one can't predict with certainty, everyone is unique.  It will take a few weeks for the valium to process out.  You may be feeling symptoms now from cuts you made two and three weeks ago.  If you need to hold here a while, that is ok too, although 0.15 is not much, non therapeutic might be the term some use.  You've made it so let the healing begin :thumbsup:.

Vertigo

I reinstated at 0.25! Held for three days then restarted my taper at 0.025 mg a day until today and then I took took only a 0.01 mg cut today to be at 0.14 mg today.  Three weeks ago I was at 0.50 mg.  Is that fast? There has to be some way to get off this stuff, right, can't be cutting 2% a day forever?  The drops I take are not the least bit therapuetic but if I stop, the sypmtoms are definately there!

I cut to 9 mg mid-March and started the daily taper of 2.5% per day... It was a fast taper and then held at 5 mg for all of May (not related to WD symptoms.)  June and July I worked down from 5 mg to 2 mg with a few holds along the way.  August and September from 2 mg to 0.25 mg with a few more holds.

This last week so far, I have been working from 0.25 mg and I took 0.14 mg today. 

My symptoms are pretty much the same but the really bad one are settled... I have an inability to relax, not great sleep, but better now and still feeling compulsive and agitated.  I am debating whether I should start skipping a day in between doses or just keep tapering each day.  I was able to go a week on alternate doses and then tried jumping but after 60 hours I reinstated.

I took a few moments and reviewed my progress against the recommended pace of 1 mg every 2 weeks until 5 mg and then 0.5 mg every two weeks.  I ploted it against my daily taper and remarkably (post game analysis!) I tapered essentially at that same rate up until I hit 0.50 mg (averaging 7% every 2 weeks.)  The last month or so, I am still tapering but there seems little to recommend any further tapering past 0.50 mg except on this forum.

Is this the easy part?  I see very few posts from people who are tapering at the same rate as me...  Perhaps they jumped and then never posted again?  I only read people who are cutting SOOO slow, like 0.01 mg a day then holding and seem to be tapering infinately.  I want to optimise the end of the taper as much as the front end of the taper.  Kind of selfish reasons, since I am not exactly struggling but have an intense desire to be done as quick as possible with the minimum of suffering!

Anyone out there with a good game plan for my jump?  Is there any tricks?  Unschedule my week and stay at home OR get busy and take it day-by-day tapering slower! 

Is there a time period where people typically reinstate/suffer after the last dose?

Fluctuating blood pressure ought to be monitored by a physician.  Have you been checked out?  When I got the elevated BP in the early months off valium, I also took steps to improve my diet and exericise gradually.  Not all health issues are caused or related to benzo withdrawal/healing.  Better to be cautious and get medically checked.  Whether to go on medication is another matter to decide with one's doctor.  I chose not to although I was offered beta blockers.  I had stress treadmill tests and coronary CT scan done... I was comfortable that I was not on the verge of a stroke or heart attack, yet recognized that I did need to eat more healthy and lose some weight.    Others may decide with their doctor that medication is the best way to manage changes in blood pressure.

Vertigo

I did mention it to the doctor but until I have had it for a while I don't think he will act yet.  If I was in the middle of my taper, I would certainly be concerned but I am so close to be done and as long as it doesn't go REALLY high, (I check it twice a week at the drug store) then I will continue to monitor. If it persists longer than 4 weeks after my last dose of Valium, I will talk to the doc again.  I don't want to add a new drug if my body just needs time to readjust and figure out the new set-points for the blood pressure.  I think it will go back to normal.  I notice that I am prone to more headaches and I can't tolerate the hot tub when my blood pressure is higher and of course it is accompanied by higher heart rate.

I checked out all the lifestyle stuff I could do and other than magically dropping pounds, I can't do much more... I am already doing the recommended exercise, diet and I don't smoke or drink.  I have avoided food that I don't cook myself as it tends to have too much salt.  Without taking medication, I can't do much more but wait out the Valium withdrawal and hope that it settles as well.  It hasn't gone to 160/95 yet and it has gone down to a normal level since as well so I am not too worried.

I also agree that it could be possible being a year or two older since I had my blood pressure checked could very well be the reason why I have high blood pressure.  I might loose some weight because I compulsively eat right now and it might settle down a bit after I recover, I hope. 

V

Vertigo

I reinstated at 0.25! Held for three days then restarted my taper at 0.025 mg a day until today and then I took took only a 0.01 mg cut today to be at 0.14 mg today.  Three weeks ago I was at 0.50 mg.  Is that fast? There has to be some way to get off this stuff, right, can't be cutting 2% a day forever?  The drops I take are not the least bit therapuetic but if I stop, the sypmtoms are definately there!

I cut to 9 mg mid-March and started the daily taper of 2.5% per day... It was a fast taper and then held at 5 mg for all of May (not related to WD symptoms.)  June and July I worked down from 5 mg to 2 mg with a few holds along the way.  August and September from 2 mg to 0.25 mg with a few more holds.

This last week so far, I have been working from 0.25 mg and I took 0.14 mg today. 

My symptoms are pretty much the same but the really bad one are settled... I have an inability to relax, not great sleep, but better now and still feeling compulsive and agitated.  I am debating whether I should start skipping a day in between doses or just keep tapering each day.  I was able to go a week on alternate doses and then tried jumping but after 60 hours I reinstated.

I took a few moments and reviewed my progress against the recommended pace of 1 mg every 2 weeks until 5 mg and then 0.5 mg every two weeks.  I ploted it against my daily taper and remarkably (post game analysis!) I tapered essentially at that same rate up until I hit 0.50 mg (averaging 7% every 2 weeks.)  The last month or so, I am still tapering but there seems little to recommend any further tapering past 0.50 mg except on this forum.

Is this the easy part?  I see very few posts from people who are tapering at the same rate as me...  Perhaps they jumped and then never posted again?  I only read people who are cutting SOOO slow, like 0.01 mg a day then holding and seem to be tapering infinately.  I want to optimise the end of the taper as much as the front end of the taper.  Kind of selfish reasons, since I am not exactly struggling but have an intense desire to be done as quick as possible with the minimum of suffering!

Anyone out there with a good game plan for my jump?  Is there any tricks?  Unschedule my week and stay at home OR get busy and take it day-by-day tapering slower! 

Is there a time period where people typically reinstate/suffer after the last dose?

Your current taper does not appear unreasonable to me, Memories,  although the reduction from 5 to 2mg over two months back in the summer may have been a little on the rapid side.  Holding there sounds like it was a good choice :thumbsup:.  Some folks have since found (after Ashton) that the 10% rates or .50 cuts every 1-2 weeks can at times be a little much, particularly as one gets below 5mg.  I also held at 2mg for about a month.  I was cutting a little more slowly than you  from 5-2mg (.25mg every 10 days or so), but I was probably sensitive to the valium.  I think I read in your signature that you were at 17mg valium in January so you have done very well in the last 9-10 months.  Some are able to go more quickly without too many side effects.

I had similar symptoms (agitation, sleeplessness, some GI disturbance, come visual tracking stuff, cog fog...).  As I posted before, it can take 3-4 weeks for valium to process out.  If you feel better holding here for another week or so, that's not unreasonable. Or if you just want to be done, what you are currently on is not likely therapeutic, as you wrote.  If I recall, I think I still took about a week or two to reduce the final .15 milligram anyway.  It's up to you.  You've come this far, probably wouldn't hurt to continue on down slowly.  Others may weigh in if you like. 

As far as doing anything differently, it can be helpful to try and avoid too many stimulating events such as concerts or loud noisy places.  I had no choice but to drive but I did avoid long trips that weren't necessary.    I tried to stay away from some difficult family members but wasn't always possible ::).  Some of it is time dependent, with Thanksgiving coming up :o.  Some have suggested keeping the movie rentals to calm subjects and avoid action or violent films.  If you have some blood pressure fluctuations, perhaps your doctor has some suggestions about how to manage that.  Ibuprofin can also raise BP so be aware of that.  Get lots of rest, eat healthy and enjoy the rest of your life. All in all, it sounds like you are just about benzo free :thumbsup:.

Vertigo

Vertigo

I did mention it to the doctor but until I have had it for a while I don't think he will act yet.  If I was in the middle of my taper, I would certainly be concerned but I am so close to be done and as long as it doesn't go REALLY high, (I check it twice a week at the drug store) then I will continue to monitor. If it persists longer than 4 weeks after my last dose of Valium, I will talk to the doc again.  I don't want to add a new drug if my body just needs time to readjust and figure out the new set-points for the blood pressure.  I think it will go back to normal.  I notice that I am prone to more headaches and I can't tolerate the hot tub when my blood pressure is higher and of course it is accompanied by higher heart rate.

I checked out all the lifestyle stuff I could do and other than magically dropping pounds, I can't do much more... I am already doing the recommended exercise, diet and I don't smoke or drink.  I have avoided food that I don't cook myself as it tends to have too much salt.  Without taking medication, I can't do much more but wait out the Valium withdrawal and hope that it settles as well.  It hasn't gone to 160/95 yet and it has gone down to a normal level since as well so I am not too worried.

I also agree that it could be possible being a year or two older since I had my blood pressure checked could very well be the reason why I have high blood pressure.  I might loose some weight because I compulsively eat right now and it might settle down a bit after I recover, I hope.

Hi Memories.  It sounds like you are on top of it and have consulted with your doctor.  I had the elevated BP for about three months after taper, then it went back to normal.  Then at 9 months, it went back up after I had gained some weight and had an active summer which involved some poor dietary choices (soda, chips, some wine...).  In retrospect, I probably should have waited a full year (post taper) before reintroducing alcohol, even though it was "only" about 1-2 glasses of wine on some occasions that summer, generally not more than once or twice a week.  Yet, alcohol can raise BP along with salty foods so in my case, it went back up but had less to do with the benzo than that first few months after my taper ended.  Like you, I did not want to add another medication at that point, mine was not too terribly high either (around 140/90).  Some buddies have reported going on a beta blocker for bp, palpitations or even to diminish anxiety.  Ultimately, its best to make a decision with one's physician and according to one's lifestyle.

Best wishes,

Vertigo

How has work, whether part time or full time, impacted your post benzo recovery?  I've been under quite a bit of work stress the last few weeks and this has unfortunately led me to be a little short tempered.  I have also not focused well and may not have communicated "elegantly" on this forum and out in the "non virtual" world lately.  I wonder if others have been impacted by stress at work?

Thanks,

Vertigo

I am struggling with focus lately.  I was more focused before, but in a way I wonder that was when I was more symptomatic.  I have been compusive and often I am more focused for that reason. 

I noticed that my temper has increased however, my temper flared yesterday when my son stuck his finger in the last pumkin tart at the church dinner when he already had eaten 3 and I actually slapped his fingers.  I was embarrased at my behaviour more than his!  I don't even do that at home but the public space puts more pressure on me for him to behave which is totally not fair because I have very little control over the actions of my kid. 

I want to do a cookbook for my son's school and I keep holding it off... I could be typing it up now but I am not. Oh boy!  I am not sure how I will cope when I go back to work.