Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Short term benzo users

[sn...]

Yes it's TRUE. I think I took maybe 3 mg, total, in August. I was using PRN, thought I was fine. I dont know really what I am considered... long term or short term because of that. Indefinitely had withdrawal symptoms but didn't understand them. Now I'm at 0.29 mg ativan, tapering, and feel pretty bad. But I've felt pretty bad for a while. I'm know I'm really sensitive to the drug so that's why I want to get off but I'm not sure what the best thing is to do.

Ativan is nasty, nasty stuff. I didn't take much either, but wound up hard core dosing then withdrawing, then dosing again.

You may be in for a rough short term ride, but after a month I was capable of working again, and after three was back to 40 hours.

My gut still hasn't straightened its self out yet, which can cause all sorts of knock-on effects, but I am running around 80% or so. You'll get there.

Only way is through.

I tried CBD for the first time today. Seemed to help take the edge off

Cool! May it be your magic bullet.

I’m glad to hear that you’re doing well! I can’t wait to feel normal again. I pray it happens quickly for all of us

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [me...]

• [...]

• [su...]

• [Co...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Ativan is nasty nasty stuff - I only ever took 22 pills. Now I’m tapering with Valium - ah well you live and you learn. I had no idea I was in withdrawal so throw in a month of Zopiclone too. What a mess lol

I absolutely agree.  I took Ativan for 2 weeks and had to taper for 7 months.

[34...]
I can’t be mad I can use this as learning opportunity and a way to better deal with my anxiety. I am at 3.5 mgs of Valium now so very close to being done. It’s weird I feel so much better the lower I go. My sleep seems to have returned (insomnia was never an issue for me before so maybe that’s why) and I’m feeling semi normal (knock on wood!)

So crazy how these drugs can affect us short term users. As you can see in my signature I never used xanax, klonopin, or ativan for more than a few months at a time on a prn basis (although I did take antidepressants for many years). Yet here I am, on a slow taper from Valium which will likely last me 6-12 months. I just did an 8% cut a little over a week ago and have been getting smacked with symptoms the past few days. So disappointing, but I'm determined to make it through and never touch these meds again for as long as I live.

So crazy how these drugs can affect us short term users. As you can see in my signature I never used xanax, klonopin, or ativan for more than a few months at a time on a prn basis (although I did take antidepressants for many years). Yet here I am, on a slow taper from Valium which will likely last me 6-12 months. I just did an 8% cut a little over a week ago and have been getting smacked with symptoms the past few days. So disappointing, but I'm determined to make it through and never touch these meds again for as long as I live.

Milli, are you dry cutting?  If that is the case you might want to look into dlmt.  I was dry cutting to begin with but found the symptoms to be a bit too much so I switched dlmt and had a very smooth ride down after that.  Just a thought.

Milli, are you dry cutting?  If that is the case you might want to look into dlmt.  I was dry cutting to begin with but found the symptoms to be a bit too much so I switched dlmt and had a very smooth ride down after that.  Just a thought.

As of now I am, yes. The plan was to dry cut every ~2 weeks until I got down to 10mg (1mg of Ativan) and then reevaluate. It looks like you started your liquid taper when you were right around the equivalent dose of what I’m at currently. Did you use the milk/vodka method?

Milli, I used vodka to do my taper.  I would mix the pill in 1.5 ml of vodka then do the rest of the dilution in water once that initial mixture was dissolved.  For me, having done the dry cutting and liquid taper methods, I would never do anything but a liquid taper....virtually no sxs.  I had to slow down once, but was able to speed up on down the road. 

I was able to work full time and carry on my normal activities while tapering.  Basically the only thing that made me aware that I was tapering was having to prepare the solutions.  If you are interested there is a guy named Builder in the "titration taper plans" forum that can show you exactly how to go about it.

As far as future benzo use I have asked my doc to list them as an allergy.

I've got mine listed as a Paradoxic reaction under allergies.

It's a rare but known side effect that most medical staff won't blink twice.

You start talking about withdrawl, or recovery, and then there will be a conversation.

Just go "Allergic, paradoxic effects. Gives me panic attacks" and everyone I've dealt with over two hospital systems goes "Wow. That sucks. Let me make sure that's on your chart."

I've got mine listed as a Paradoxic reaction under allergies.

It's a rare but known side effect that most medical staff won't blink twice.

You start talking about withdrawl, or recovery, and then there will be a conversation.

Just go "Allergic, paradoxic effects. Gives me panic attacks" and everyone I've dealt with over two hospital systems goes "Wow. That sucks. Let me make sure that's on your chart."

Good advice, I guess that wording makes it much more cut and dry for them.

How is everyone doing these days ?  It’s been exactly 3 weeks since I’ve been off Ativan.  The past several days I’ve been able to get some decent sleep and I’m grateful for that !  I do think that good sleep is important for recovery because that’s when your body repairs itself. I still have some uncomfortable symptoms but I do think I am improving.

I was a short term klonopin user (five weeks) and tapered  for six months, completely well in eight months.That was four years ago, now I have finished a taper from baclofen that was really horrific although not as long. Dr says I should have gotten off it in one ore two weeks, oh sure. It took five months. Baclofen is not a benzo, so stupidly I wasn't worried.  I cant stop wondering if this was kindling effect.                Restoration,  I love your kitty pic, looks just like my beloved 'Ivory!'

I was a short term klonopin user (five weeks) and tapered  for six months, completely well in eight months.That was four years ago, now I have finished a taper from baclofen that was really horrific although not as long. Dr says I should have gotten off it in one ore two weeks, oh sure. It took five months. Baclofen is not a benzo, so stupidly I wasn't worried.  I cant stop wondering if this was kindling effect.                Restoration,  I love your kitty pic, looks just like my beloved 'Ivory!'

Arizona, what sorts of sxs did you have once you walked off of the Klonopin taper?

If I remember right I finished my klonopin taper around the first of November 2014 and I was really disappointed thinking that my symptoms would stop. (anxiety)  Went shopping with my daughter and had to go sit in the car after about ten minutes. Thats my only clear memory of how I felt at the time except that I gradually improved over the next few weeks.  Then, right before Xmas I went with grandkids to look at Xmas lights and I had to push myself because I was getting tired. Suddenly I felt terribly sick like I had the flu, got home, went to bed and an hour later I was fine!  If you only have mild anxiety you're doing great! Just take it easy for a while and dont PUSH yourself!!

[91...]

Hi Arizona! :smitten:

Nice you were able to quit this evil drug. I'm at 0.024 ml now after a tedious 9 months of tapering from 1 mg of K . This suppose to be the quit dose. My sxs are more psychological and it seems like you, anxiety, is the big one with all the variety of symptoms that this condition generates.  :D

At what dose did you quit? I started to feel a little bit better lately but more tired and kind of roller coaster with some of the symptoms. Not feeling myself yet but way better than when I started. Besides the anxiety I feel more tired, may be something else related and also I started to forget taking the doses. May be it's a good sign.

Any comments as how you progressed after quit will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Miguel

Hi everyone

I'm directly tapering fromativan from 1 mg use for a few weeks, prn  use for a couple of months, now down to 0.14mg nd really feeling unwell. I've been tapering since January 1st, and never felt well though out the taper. I'm slowing down now because I'm worried about going to the hospital.

Has anyone here tapered short term use ativan with significant symptoms?

Any guidance for a short term sensitive user?

Hi everyone

I'm directly tapering fromativan from 1 mg use for a few weeks, prn  use for a couple of months, now down to 0.14mg nd really feeling unwell. I've been tapering since January 1st, and never felt well though out the taper. I'm slowing down now because I'm worried about going to the hospital.

In my opinion you have gone way, way too fast.  That looks like the taper that my doctor told me to do.....there was no way I could do it without losing my mind.  I would definitely hold until symptoms pass and then start a much slower DLMT.  Many people have to up-dose after cutting too fast.

Hi guys,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        I wish I could remember more about my K withdrawal but it was a few years ago and I was so happy to forget about it and move on!  I do remember that I was titrating and my last dose was minuscule.  My recovery was so gradual that I could never put my finger on a specific day that it was over!  Something that helped me was to not think about the future because then I would get impatient and that would increase anxiety!  It did help to think about the past and compare it to the present.  That way I could see all the progress I had made, and calm me a bit!  Remember: mole hills only LOOK like mountains, it's just an illusion!      :thumbsup:

Hi everyone

In my opinion you have gone way, way too fast.  That looks like the taper that my doctor told me to do.....there was no way I could do it without losing my mind.  I would definitely hold until symptoms pass and then start a much slower DLMT.  Many people have to up-dose after cutting too fast.

Thanks.

Yes, I'm going much slower than the psych said to do. I was supposed to be done in a couple of weeks, she said.

I think i have to go slower because I'm basically falling apart physically. Mind is okay, just scared of how terrible i feel and the weight loss. My.concern is that the physical symptoms are due to the drug itself, not the withdrawal?

A question for short term users  ....  at what point did you realize that you had become tolerant to the benzo you were taking?  For me,  physical symptoms started to appear about six weeks after the first use ( sinus pressure and dizziness) ...  it wasn’t until a couple of weeks later that I found benzo buddies and realize that I had with drawl symptoms. In retrospect, I actually think I may have hit tolerance much earlier ... Because I had light sensitivity and  I saw halos around traffic lights at night ... I did not make the connection to the medication at that time.

This situation really sucks but I am thankful  I did not take this dreadful medication any longer than I did! Praying for everyone here that we find relief and healing soon. Hopefully we will come out better,  stronger people after going through this  ....

A question for short term users  ....  at what point did you realize that you had become tolerant to the benzo you were taking?  For me,  physical symptoms started to appear about six weeks after the first use ( sinus pressure and dizziness) ...  it wasn’t until a couple of weeks later that I found benzo buddies and realize that I had with drawl symptoms. In retrospect, I actually think I may have hit tolerance much earlier ... Because I had light sensitivity and  I saw halos around traffic lights at night ... I did not make the connection to the medication at that time.

This situation really sucks but I am thankful  I did not take this dreadful medication any longer than I did! Praying for everyone here that we find relief and healing soon. Hopefully we will come out better,  stronger people after going through this  ....

Hi. I think you are going to be fine! Hang in there!

I think I noticed in the fall after just a small bottle prn but didn't understsnd. was having migraine headaches and really anxious, with trouble with loud noise and stressful situations. Tight back muscles. Started seeing chiro, had a ct scan bc of headaches and anxiety. Then I started walking up with adrenaline surges, panic attacks. Took 10 days more of ativan and have been tapering since then. I regret not ct like you after the 10 days, and getting into the tapering. I'm really sensitive to it and i'm worried about extending my use but scared to jump.

• 2 weeks later...

Initial issues were when I couldn't bear the thought of flying to Arizona for my dad's funeral. After that was all sorts of health anxiety while I was in Italy for my 10 year anniversary.  When I came back I could no longer sleep and was nearly unable to fall asleep. This was a big red flag as one of my favorite activities has always been napping.

I knew it was the ativan when I had to go from .5mg to 1mg to achieve the same 'rational' state of non-feeling that I had confused for 'normal'.

That's when I bailed all together, and found Benzobuddies about a week later during one of my insomnia bouts.

For me the realization came after about two weeks of use when I realized that I could not quit CT and had to reinstate.

• 2 weeks later...

A few weeks before I quit I already had whitdrawal effects and the last week I found benzobuddies,  and I immedeately  put my last pills in the trash.

I did not wait to read about taper.

Yesterday I was worried ,  the worst wave in two years,  dizzy , could hardly stand om my feet , tinnitus , tired.

Now I feel better , slept 6 hours. I hope it was a short setback.

• 3 months later...

Hi, anyone have sxs of low blood pressure, low sugar I think , dizziness , off balance, vertigo, constant blurry vision, distorted vision perception... exhaustion to say the least  especially in the morning hours...

ugh only 40% done from 0.5 klonopin.... any input appreciated

holding for the moment