Important Survey - Please Participate ×

The Dizziness Group: For those who are floating, boating, falling or flying

[La...]

It has been awhile since I have posted on here. Unfortunately not because things have gone well. Following my last visit my Dr. believes I may have PPPD. So she is referring me to a neurologist to see what he thinks. After looking it up I think it fits. I'm not super excited about the treatment being a SSRI. But if it alleviates this so I can function then I guess I do that at least for awhile. From the literature it sounds like after a year or so you can try to get off of that with decent success of the PPPD not reoccurring. It also sounds like 3-5 months of vestibular physical therapy. I wonder if that will be different than what I already did. I have been meaning to go back and try some of those exercises while I wait to get in to see the neuro but the wife in "cleaning" through out all of the stuff i had been using.  :tickedoff:

My work accommodation allowing me to work from home is up in a week or so. I'm unsure what will happen with that but I am still in no condition to go back to working in the office. I will have to apply for a longer period and see what my department thinks. If they won't give it to me then my only move is short term disability. Which they can hardly afford at this point being short staffed as it is. But my company is not always known for making the most logical decisions. I kind of feel like I wasted my months of work accommodation to no end because I am in no better place than I was other than having gone back to klonopin from valium based on the genetic testing. But all we were trying to do is deal with the benzo, thinking it might be the cause. I wish we had found this diagnosis earlier. The one website I found said benzos are of no help with this condition. I have found that to be true very much. At the worst of it I have taken a rescue dose and it does nothing for it. I suppose the plan will be find a stable ssri that works and wait for the VBRT to start to help. Then I would like to resume my taper.

If it really is PPPD it sounds like in a few months I should be doing much better. Which would be the best thing in years. I recently sold my motorcycle because of the inability to ride it. Which makes me very sad.

Hi Data_Guy,

What about individual genetics and the CYP450 enzymes? The different benzos aren't all metabolized the same way, and depending on one's genetics, a person may metabolize something more quickly or slowly than expected, I believe. I'm a layperson, of course, but I do think it's quite hard to say with any certainty how will people do with these meds when we're all different genetically speaking. If people are taking other meds, then there can be interactions as well.

I found this link called Benzodiazepine Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics:

http://paindr.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Revised-BZD_-9-30.pdf

I wouldn't be able to explain it, of course, but it does show that there are differences in metabolism, which would certainly interact with individual genetics as well.

There's also this page on the Benzodiazepine Pathway, Pharmacokinetics:

https://www.pharmgkb.org/pathway/PA165111375

Hi Lapis,

That's great info, we'll include it in the final post. And yeah, other drugs also play a role. Smoking can actually decrease blood concentration levels of Xanax up to 50% and other medications like phenobarbital have a substantial impact as well due to their enzyme-inducing properties.

Sorry I have been MIA, having a bit of rough time with food and sleep.

It has been awhile since I have posted on here. Unfortunately not because things have gone well. Following my last visit my Dr. believes I may have PPPD. So she is referring me to a neurologist to see what he thinks. After looking it up I think it fits. I'm not super excited about the treatment being a SSRI. But if it alleviates this so I can function then I guess I do that at least for awhile. From the literature it sounds like after a year or so you can try to get off of that with decent success of the PPPD not reoccurring. It also sounds like 3-5 months of vestibular physical therapy. I wonder if that will be different than what I already did. I have been meaning to go back and try some of those exercises while I wait to get in to see the neuro but the wife in "cleaning" through out all of the stuff i had been using.  :tickedoff:

My work accommodation allowing me to work from home is up in a week or so. I'm unsure what will happen with that but I am still in no condition to go back to working in the office. I will have to apply for a longer period and see what my department thinks. If they won't give it to me then my only move is short term disability. Which they can hardly afford at this point being short staffed as it is. But my company is not always known for making the most logical decisions. I kind of feel like I wasted my months of work accommodation to no end because I am in no better place than I was other than having gone back to klonopin from valium based on the genetic testing. But all we were trying to do is deal with the benzo, thinking it might be the cause. I wish we had found this diagnosis earlier. The one website I found said benzos are of no help with this condition. I have found that to be true very much. At the worst of it I have taken a rescue dose and it does nothing for it. I suppose the plan will be find a stable ssri that works and wait for the VBRT to start to help. Then I would like to resume my taper.

If it really is PPPD it sounds like in a few months I should be doing much better. Which would be the best thing in years. I recently sold my motorcycle because of the inability to ride it. Which makes me very sad.

Hi BigSky,

It's good to hear from you. I was thinking about you and wondering how you were doing. As far as the possible PPPD diagnosis goes, I'm skeptical. You're still on the benzo, right? Benzos can cause dizziness. It's one of the major side effects of these drugs, as well as being a symptom of the tapering and withdrawal periods. To put another label on your dizziness without acknowledging the possible role of a medication that is known to adversely affect the vestibular system seems strange to me.

I had numerous doctors just ignore the possible role of benzodiazepines when I became dizzy. It still boggles my mind. Benzos are known in the medical literature as "vestibular suppressants", and they're only meant for 2-4 weeks use maximum. Long term use comes with all kinds of risks that are well known. Why don't doctors acknowledge this?

Also, SSRIs can cause dizziness too -- both during and after taking them. Again, dizziness is a common side effect and withdrawal effect of those meds, and if you were to add an SSRI to a benzo, you would create a possible interaction between the two meds that might bring further issues.

I'm speaking from experience here. I will always regret having taken the SSRI on top of the benzo, but the doctor I was seeing at the time told me he thought it might help. No. Absolutely not. I had to finish my benzo taper, wait ten months and then do an SSRI taper. I got a new, worse kind of dizziness during the SSRI taper called "brain zaps", which included flashes of light each time I turned my head. I didn't have that until the SSRI taper. It eventually settled down, but I was left with the floaty-boaty dizziness, which I'd had before trying the SSRI. I just regret it all.

It seems prudent to see the neurologist, though, to see what s/he finds, if anything. At least you could rule certain things out if s/he says everything seems fine.

I'm in the middle of reading a book on dizziness right now, and I just read about PPPD. From that description, it seemed to me to be a very visual type of dizziness, in that people are affected mainly by what they see. The treatment the author wrote about was a behavioural one, called "habituation", and any meds given would just be to help with the panic that the dizziness caused, e.g. a benzo. That, of course, doesn't make sense to me at all. Anyway, according to the author's research, the person would have to be exposed to increasing amounts of the offending visual clue (e.g. supermarket, busy street, flashing lights, etc.), starting with small amounts, until s/he could handle those stimuli without getting dizzy and nauseous.

Is this PPPD description and treatment similar to what you've read, BigSky? Are you mostly affected by what you see? Does your computer use affect you? Also, where are you at in your taper right now? I'm not sure if you've adjusted your signature to reflect what you're doing with the benzo at this point.

Hi Data_Guy,

What about individual genetics and the CYP450 enzymes? The different benzos aren't all metabolized the same way, and depending on one's genetics, a person may metabolize something more quickly or slowly than expected, I believe. I'm a layperson, of course, but I do think it's quite hard to say with any certainty how will people do with these meds when we're all different genetically speaking. If people are taking other meds, then there can be interactions as well.

I found this link called Benzodiazepine Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics:

http://paindr.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Revised-BZD_-9-30.pdf

I wouldn't be able to explain it, of course, but it does show that there are differences in metabolism, which would certainly interact with individual genetics as well.

There's also this page on the Benzodiazepine Pathway, Pharmacokinetics:

https://www.pharmgkb.org/pathway/PA165111375

Hi Lapis,

That's great info, we'll include it in the final post. And yeah, other drugs also play a role. Smoking can actually decrease blood concentration levels of Xanax up to 50% and other medications like phenobarbital have a substantial impact as well due to their enzyme-inducing properties.

Sorry I have been MIA, having a bit of rough time with food and sleep.

Hey DG,

No problem, I understand. Take care, okay?

Hi BigSky,

It's good to hear from you. I was thinking about you and wondering how you were doing. As far as the possible PPPD diagnosis goes, I'm skeptical. You're still on the benzo, right? Benzos can cause dizziness. It's one of the major side effects of these drugs, as well as being a symptom of the tapering and withdrawal periods. To put another label on your dizziness without acknowledging the possible role of a medication that is known to adversely affect the vestibular system seems strange to me.

I had numerous doctors just ignore the possible role of benzodiazepines when I became dizzy. It still boggles my mind. Benzos are known in the medical literature as "vestibular suppressants", and they're only meant for 2-4 weeks use maximum. Long term use comes with all kinds of risks that are well known. Why don't doctors acknowledge this?

Also, SSRIs can cause dizziness too -- both during and after taking them. Again, dizziness is a common side effect and withdrawal effect of those meds, and if you were to add an SSRI to a benzo, you would create a possible interaction between the two meds that might bring further issues.

I'm speaking from experience here. I will always regret having taken the SSRI on top of the benzo, but the doctor I was seeing at the time told me he thought it might help. No. Absolutely not. I had to finish my benzo taper, wait ten months and then do an SSRI taper. I got a new, worse kind of dizziness during the SSRI taper called "brain zaps", which included flashes of light each time I turned my head. I didn't have that until the SSRI taper. It eventually settled down, but I was left with the floaty-boaty dizziness, which I'd had before trying the SSRI. I just regret it all.

It seems prudent to see the neurologist, though, to see what s/he finds, if anything. At least you could rule certain things out if s/he says everything seems fine.

I'm in the middle of reading a book on dizziness right now, and I just read about PPPD. From that description, it seemed to me to be a very visual type of dizziness, in that people are affected mainly by what they see. The treatment the author wrote about was a behavioural one, called "habituation", and any meds given would just be to help with the panic that the dizziness caused, e.g. a benzo. That, of course, doesn't make sense to me at all. Anyway, according to the author's research, the person would have to be exposed to increasing amounts of the offending visual clue (e.g. supermarket, busy street, flashing lights, etc.), starting with small amounts, until s/he could handle those stimuli without getting dizzy and nauseous.

Is this PPPD description and treatment similar to what you've read, BigSky? Are you mostly affected by what you see? Does your computer use affect you? Also, where are you at in your taper right now? I'm not sure if you've adjusted your signature to reflect what you're doing with the benzo at this point.

Because I have not been on here I have not updated the signature. I need to find time to do that.

I have read the believed causes and time lines for pppd and it fits. I have been on one benzo or another for almost a decade at differing doses. I have never had this kind of dizziness and balance issues. Even during a significant portion of the taper. After holding on the Valium for almost 9 months with no change I am leaning towards pppd as a possible cause.

I find it funny in an ironic sort of way that the Dr's I have seen all seem to blame it all on the benzo and want little to do with going into my symptoms and other could be causes.

It seems to be made worse with high stimuli, especially visual areas. We went to the science museum while friends were in town with the kids and I had to leave after about 20 mins and go sit in the car for 1:30 until they were ready to leave. I couldn't take it. The other reason I believe this may be it is benzos don't fix it. Previously when I have had horrible withdrawal effects a rescue dose would alleviate them. Now they doesn't touch this. I thought for a long time benzos were the cause but I am seriously doubting that at this point after everything. I certainly am still going to get off them.

I have taken many a ssri over the years and know which ones to stay away from if it comes to that. The genetic test also helps narrow down the list. I also am unfortunately all too familiar with tapering off those. I know the brain zaps, the headaches, the short temper, etc etc. But I'm at a point where I have to have this resolved. My quality of life is nonexistent.

So we shall see what the neuro says. Hopefully soon. If he doesn't think it fits then I will start tapering right away. I would start now but I don't want to add variables.

Hi BigSky,

I'm actually heartened to hear that some doctors pointed to the benzo as the cause of the dizziness, because it means they're aware of the dangers. That's a good thing.

It sounds like you're familiar with SSRIs, if you've already been through the brain zap thing. I believe that symptom is pretty unique to those meds. It's not common with benzos, from what I've read.

Anyway, good luck with the neurologist appointment. Let us know how it goes and what s/he says.

By the way, this book I'm reading is called "Balance -- A Dizzying Journey Through the Science of Our Most Delicate Sense", by Carol Svec. It's really interesting! I'm now reading about infrasound, which is not something I've thought about at all, really.

There was a thread on PoNS awhile back. I'm not sure if anyone from here decided to look into it further.

There was a thread on PoNS awhile back. I'm not sure if anyone from here decided to look into it further.

Can I ask, you off topic were the ssri's you took stimulating? I'm Debating whether to hold my benzo taper to taper the ssri because it may further interrupt my sleep as hen I reinstated it was stimulating and was only able to take 5mg of celexa

TIA

Can I ask, you off topic were the ssri's you took stimulating? I'm Debating whether to hold my benzo taper to taper the ssri because it may further interrupt my sleep as hen I reinstated it was stimulating and was only able to take 5mg of celexa

TIA

Hi Bonty,

I wouldn't be able to say whether it was stimulating or not, really. I took it while I was coming off the benzo, and then I was in benzo withdrawal and started the SSRI taper 10-months post-benzo-taper. I couldn't tease one symptom out from another. Too many symptoms. I'm not really sure if there's an ideal way to taper these meds, i.e which one to do first, but I had to do the benzo taper first. I knew it was a very problematic drug for me, and I wanted it out of my body.

I've been having dizziness issues for the past few weeks that appears to have been triggered by drinking alcohol.  Has anyone else ever experienced this.  I'm currently tapering off of gabapentin.  Thanks.

I've been having dizziness issues for the past few weeks that appears to have been triggered by drinking alcohol.  Has anyone else ever experienced this.  I'm currently tapering off of gabapentin.  Thanks.

Hi DNH,

Both alcohol and gabapentin could affect balance -- or, perhaps, it's the combination thereof. I don't have personal experience with those things, but I certainly have experience with dizziness. I hope yours in short-lived.

Dizziness is one of the most common side effects of Gabapentin, at a 17% incidence, which is higher than some of the most potent benzos, so it is likely the Gabapentin, but I believe alcohol can cause it as well. I would stay away from the booze until you are long healed.

Here is the Gabapentin side effects page on Drugs.com if you want to check out side effects and their frequency: https://www.drugs.com/sfx/gabapentin-side-effects.html#for-professionals

Both alcohol and Gabapentin have ototoxic properties, so they can damage the tissues of the inner ear and cause dizziness, vertigo or damage hearing: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3138949/

Hope that helps, Dave.

TIA

Hi Bonty,

I wouldn't be able to say whether it was stimulating or not, really. I took it while I was coming off the benzo, and then I was in benzo withdrawal and started the SSRI taper 10-months post-benzo-taper. I couldn't tease one symptom out from another. Too many symptoms. I'm not really sure if there's an ideal way to taper these meds, i.e which one to do first, but I had to do the benzo taper first. I knew it was a very problematic drug for me, and I wanted it out of my body.

thank you I think the same I don't want the K in my body as it sedating but  not helping me anymore ... just have different options on the subject.

Hi bonty,

I think the challenge is that there are so many variables involved, e.g. individual genetics and health issues, that it makes it impossible to have hard and fast rules with the issue of tapering medications. No two people are the same. In my case, I became dizzy when I was on the benzo, and at the time, I was taking two different benzos -- clonazepam daily, and then lorazepam on an "as needed" basis. I was prescribed an SNRI for a pain issue, and that's when the dizziness became really bad. Looking back, I see how awful that was, but my doctor obviously didn't understand the fact that I was in tolerance withdrawal already, and he should never have prescribed the "as needed" lorazepam or the SNRI. That was the point when I should have had guidance on how best to get off the clonazepam safely. Perhaps none of the rest of it would have happened.

Anyway....

When I became dizzy and had a bunch of testing and investigation done, no one was looking at the medications I was taking. Had they done so, I might have been able to get off the benzos two years earlier.

Anyway...

This is a long-winded way of saying that I still think it was best for me to get off the benzos first, since they were likely the main culprits in what was happening to me at the time. The added meds just made things worse.

Also, on the sedating vs. stimulating question, I don't think it's black and white. The interaction of the meds creates other symptoms.

Hi bonty,

I think the challenge is that there are so many variables involved, e.g. individual genetics and health issues, that it makes it impossible to have hard and fast rules with the issue of tapering medications. No two people are the same. In my case, I became dizzy when I was on the benzo, and at the time, I was taking two different benzos -- clonazepam daily, and then lorazepam on an "as needed" basis. I was prescribed an SNRI for a pain issue, and that's when the dizziness became really bad. Looking back, I see how awful that was, but my doctor obviously didn't understand the fact that I was in tolerance withdrawal already, and he should never have prescribed the "as needed" lorazepam or the SNRI. That was the point when I should have had guidance on how best to get off the clonazepam safely. Perhaps none of the rest of it would have happened.

Anyway....

When I became dizzy and had a bunch of testing and investigation done, no one was looking at the medications I was taking. Had they done so, I might have been able to get off the benzos two years earlier.

Anyway...

This is a long-winded way of saying that I still think it was best for me to get off the benzos first, since they were likely the main culprits in what was happening to me at the time. The added meds just made things worse.

Also, on the sedating vs. stimulating question, I don't think it's black and white. The interaction of the meds creates other symptoms.

I'm so sorry Lapis2 for us both, for me its not only the physical damage, its the no validation, no cure expect time , no responsibility from drs. as you know.

my life is completely compromised.. I'm going to have to move homes and I don't have energy, also need to work at something and the only person that was helping me is not understanding and is toxic keeps thinking its not wd, its some other health issue... drs. think its anxiety/ depression , plus I live alone...I had to go to this program for mental health patients to get disability..  sorry for the vent I just get so angry at the drs. that don't know and pratice with hard core drugs.   

I understand, bonty. Believe me, I understand! I think many of us here have dealt with the same issues. It feels like a nightmare that these things are happening to us, and it's pretty hard to understand why they weren't prevented. There's A LOT of medical literature on these meds, so there's little excuse for medical professionals who prescribe these meds not to know what their adverde effects are.

I must say, though, that I was lucky to eventually get validation from at least some people. It did take a long time, though, and it was only after I'd already been through a lot. And, of course, it didn't take away the dizziness.

I'm currently reading a book called "Balance: A Dizzying Journey Through the Science of Our Most Delicate Sense", by Carol Svec, and so far, it's been a really interesting read. The chapter I just read is called "Altered States", and guess what it covers? Yup, the effect of alcohol and medication on balance. The first part of the chapter focuses on alcohol, and it even includes a discussion of GABA and glutamate. According to the author, there are two aspects of balance that are greatly affect by alcohol: sensory inputs and motor inputs. And sensory inputs include the vestibular (balance) and cochlear (hearing) aspects of the eighth cranial nerve. It all adds up to poor balance, poor hearing and an inability to walk and move properly.

The second part of the chapter looks at a number of other medications that can affect balance, including acetaminophen, anti-inflammatories (ibuprofen, diclofenac, naproxen, aspirin), antihistamines (Claritin, Sudafed, meclizine, diphenhydramine, etc.), Pepto-Bismol, NyQuil, Gas-X, benzodiazepines, ACE inhibitors, calcium channel blockers, diuretics, SSRIs (Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro, Celexa, Paxil), and anticholinergics (scolpolamine).

In the discussion of SSRIs, the author notes that these meds can make people dizzy both while they're taking them AND when coming off them. She also mentions the many neurotransmitters that are involved in the "feedback loop between the hairs cells of the inner ear and cells that contribute to the vestibular ocular reflex...". SSRIs are referred to as "the most neurotransmitter-changing medications".

Other drugs listed as possibly causing dizziness are cholesterol-lowering drugs (simvastatin, atorvastatin), antifungals (amphotericin B, fluconazole), antipsychotics (chlorpromazine, clozapine, thioridzine), anti-seizure medications (gabapentin), opioids (hydrocodone, oxycodone) and Parkinson's medications (bromocriptine, levodopa/carbidopa).

And then she says "This is not a complete list. These are just the large categories of medications that cause dizziness in a fair number of people who use them. Virtually any drug can cause dizziness in some people."

The chapter ends with a warning to "be careful" when it comes to alcohol and medications.

Right. Thanks.

This dizziness as well as heart palpitations are the absolute worst. Couple that with allergies and a screwy Eustachian tube,  and you get the perfect storm. Anyone have luck with any vitamin supplements? :)

Hi Joy,

Are you asking whether there's a vitamin supplement that can help the dizziness? It's a vestibular issue, so there isn't really a vitamin that can help normalize it. It has more do with the neurotransmitters, which are chemical messengers in the brain and which can be greatly affected by a range of medications, including benzos and SSRIs.

How is everyone doing? When I hit 5 mg valium, from 40, just lately I feel my off balance, dizzy unsteadiness has increased. Are any people in here suffering daily? Do allergies (seasonal) play a part?  Do you sometimes think, this has got to be a brain tumor or something bad. I'm depressed.

Hi Joy,

I've always been in the "suffering daily" group, although my symptoms aren't of the same magnitude every day. Some days it's better, and some days, it's worse. Do you get any better days? As far as allergies goes, I can only guess. I would think that, yes, they might make you feel worse. Antihistamines can cause dizziness, so if you're taking any of those, they could definitely make your dizziness worse. Best to stay away unless you really feel you need them.

I've already had a CAT scan, so I don't think I have a brain tumour or anything. Have you had any scans? If you're concerned, maybe you should get some testing done.

On the depression issue, yes, me too. But you're moving forward, remember that. You're doing a taper, and you're getting closer to getting off the offending medications. It's really the only way to get closer to healing, as far as I can see. You can't stay on the meds and just hope that the dizziness will go away, because benzos are known to cause dizziness -- during and after people take them. It's a very common symptom. It's the not knowing when we'll get better that makes it so, so, SO difficult to get through.

One step at a time....

Hang in there, okay?  :therethere:

Thank you. Thank you so much. Worrying and tensing up makes everything worse including dizziness.  I cannot stand the idea of another CT scan or MRI as all previous ones were normal, just sinus stuff. I will have a total breakdown if I talk about this to my PCP and he says to cover his back to go to a neurologist.  Been there, done that. I think this is just a symptom spike now that I am holding at 5 mg Valium.....down from 40 in one year. Your words helped me.

Hi Joy,

If you've already done a bunch of testing, then I agree that it doesn't make much sense to do more. With benzo withdrawal, I don't think there's much to see on such scans. We'd need a different kind of test -- one that looks at neurotransmitters and their receptors, I think. And the vestibular system is extremely intricate and complicated. Balance depends on vision, proprioception and the vestibular system all working together, and the benzos interfere with the vestibular system.

I don't think there's any rhyme or reason to why symptoms spike at various moments. You're still on diazepam and you're still tapering. Both of those things can lead to balance issues.

Will you hold awhile? Does that help? I wasn't on BB during my tapering, so I just made my cuts every two weeks, whether or not my symptoms were better. I just wanted them out of my body already. Who knows if my outcome would have been different if I used a different type of taper?

I too suffer daily from the dizziness, head pressure, off balance.  It seems as though the lower my dose becomes the worse my symptoms are getting.  This is, by far, the worst one I have! I cannot do the things I am accustomed to doing and it is a sense of great frustration.  I wish there was something to do to get over this off balance, dizzy feeling I experience daily but seems to be the way things are for now!  I also have tinnitus and some stomach issues (which are new this week).  I think I tend to obsess over my symptoms and I wish I wouldn't do that, maybe it would get a bit better!

Sorry, just a little frustrated because I tapered almost 3 weeks ago and I still have yet to have more than a few hours of a "window" to where I can have a little reprieve before I cut again!

Maggie