SSRI support group - tapering while on benzo's or after recovery

[Ki...]

Congrats, Becky, on your progress!  I, too, tapered off of 10 mg Ambien in Nov/Dec 2017 and it was terribly difficult and can understand how it would make Trazadone tapering hard. 

I'm down to 31 mg of Cymbalta and having to go at a glacial pace.  However, I do think that the further away I get from my benzo jump, the better I am.  I'm off nearly 8 months and do think that some of the terror and akathisia, etc are better.  I never realized how hard the AD taper would be.  I wonder if others have found it more difficult than the benzo taper, as I have. 

Perhaps others who are also tapering an AD will chime in. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ki...]

• [ga...]

• [Sm...]

• [la...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tapered effexor about 3 times successfully.  The last taper in January 2016 was the easiest.  I was on 75mg.  I was also in the best shape I'd been in a long time.  I had been o  effexor about 6 years when I tapered that time.  In retrospect, I began to experience the emotional side of discontinuation syndrome about 6 months after stopping.  Anxiety and depression both began to creep up.  High stress at work and a lack of cognitive behavioral therapy tools took me back to my GP for effexor again.  This is where the  nightmare truly began with an incidental discussion about sleep and something to help as I'd been experiencing insomnia for 2 months. 

In any case.  Ironically, my 3rd effexor taper was the easiest.  Knowing what I know now, I think I could have avoided going back to effexor and the unfortunate ativan add-on.  Ancient history now.

-RST

• 1 month later...

I see from a lot of people's signatures that they are on an SSRI/SNRI or have been in the recent past.

I'm hoping this can be a place for people to discuss their histories with SSRI use and provide relevant information or advice.

What was your experience?

Did you taper your SSRI before or after benzo's?

Which withdrawal did you find more difficult?

Thank you, Kiddo  :smitten:

I took varying doses of Paxil for about 20 years - prescribed by my dear ex husband. Usually very small - 5 mg a day or more if things were generally stressful. Got off it by doing a dry taper over a year or so; then got Lyme and reinstated - 10-15 mg a day cause I had terrible neurologically induced anxiety. Didn't taper & get off until after Lyme was done, and I was using a homeopath to help me just get all the meds. It was easier to get off Paxil than Elavil or Gabapentin (that was the big nasty I am still dealing with) cause I had done it before and knew what to expect. Hope that helps - good luck

• 2 months later...

Is anyone else finding the AD taper as bad or even worse than the benzo taper?

Dear Gardenlady,

I'm sorry you are struggling with your AD taper. I came off a cocktail of 4 meds and discontinued both ADs faster than the 2 benzos because I thought ADs weren't as bad. It's hard to say what is causing my grief, after all I'm in wd from the whole cocktail, but I believe ADs can be just as bad. Symptoms are pretty much the same. It just depends on the individual. Don't let anyone tell you AD wd isn't real, you have to be very cautious with any psych drug wd. Go slow, follow symptoms. Pace yourself. You will get there and heal.

Warm healing hugs,

Julz

Thanks, Julz.  Sounds like you went through the mill with so many meds.  How are you now?  I'm glad for you that you are off of everything! 

Thanks, Julz.  Sounds like you went through the mill with so many meds.  How are you now?  I'm glad for you that you are off of everything!

Thank you Gardenlady!  :smitten:

I sure have felt like a drug mule for 13 years, and it's good to be off everything... but not at all costs. I think I came off ADs too quickly and would hazard the guess that that's the reason why I'm still struggling so much this far out. Life on drugs was hell, but now in protracted it is a very different kind of hell. Those 'meds' are so powerful, it's scary. Thankfully I've had one post-jump symptom fade, that was monophobia. I seem to be healing slowly and linearly... so I can't wait to see what comes next... the good news is that we are designed to repair and recover. That's wonderful news!

How are you feeling yourself?

Warm hugs!

Julz x

• 2 weeks later...
I am tapering clonazepam. Am having a terrible time. I am also on fluoxetine. I should never have been given either. I feel trapped or I would drop the ad. Can you heal from Benzo damage if you still have to take the ad? That is the question that haunts me. Esperanza

I am tapering clonazepam. Am having a terrible time. I am also on fluoxetine. I should never have been given either. I feel trapped or I would drop the ad. Can you heal from Benzo damage if you still have to take the ad? That is the question that haunts me. Esperanza

I think so, Esperanza. I'm much much better than one year ago when I was in acute.

For me, I was on AD for so much less time than benzos, so I was very familiar with benzo problems so when ADs gave me trouble, I was pretty sure it was them.  I actually paused my benzo taper to go off of pristiq.  I started on zoloft, and switch to wellbutrin and then pristiq, leaving me on ADs for about a total of three or four years.  I felt very "revved up" on ads and also lost all desire for human contact as I felt that need was met with the drugs.  Also my migraines, weight and anxiety all increased over time on the ADs.

For my withdrawal, I took four months to taper down off of pristiq, and I felt some dp/dr like NEVER before.  This went on for about 3-6 months, but getting less bothersome by the sixth month.  I did not really feel any more effects from my AD taper after six months that I know of, of course I restarted my benzo taper, so I'll never truly know, but that's how it felt to me.

The actual acute withdrawal was nasty but over quicker, so much quicker than anything to do with benzos.  With each cut on my AD it very much felt like a flu, with all the usual withdrawal symptoms, and lasted about 2-3 weeks.  By one month after each cut, I was feeling quite functional and "okay". 

For me, I was on AD for so much less time than benzos, so I was very familiar with benzo problems so when ADs gave me trouble, I was pretty sure it was them.  I actually paused my benzo taper to go off of pristiq.  I started on zoloft, and switch to wellbutrin and then pristiq, leaving me on ADs for about a total of three or four years.  I felt very "revved up" on ads and also lost all desire for human contact as I felt that need was met with the drugs.  Also my migraines, weight and anxiety all increased over time on the ADs.

For my withdrawal, I took four months to taper down off of pristiq, and I felt some dp/dr like NEVER before.  This went on for about 3-6 months, but getting less bothersome by the sixth month.  I did not really feel any more effects from my AD taper after six months that I know of, of course I restarted my benzo taper, so I'll never truly know, but that's how it felt to me.

The actual acute withdrawal was nasty but over quicker, so much quicker than anything to do with benzos.  With each cut on my AD it very much felt like a flu, with all the usual withdrawal symptoms, and lasted about 2-3 weeks.  By one month after each cut, I was feeling quite functional and "okay".

How much did you cut each time GreenCup? I wonder if I should follow the Surviving antidepressants advice of cutting 10% per month, because it will take me forever to get off the AD, or if I could go a little faster.

How much did you cut each time GreenCup? I wonder if I should follow the Surviving antidepressants advice of cutting 10% per month, because it will take me forever to get off the AD, or if I could go a little faster.

So I had pristiq, which is time released, and they say you are not supposed to cut it, but I did cut it anyways.  I cut it into four pieces, and cut one piece each month.  I also scattered the way I took it, and took the three pieces morning, noon and night, then the two pieces morning and night, just because of the time released issue.  It wasn't pleasant and was different than benzo withdrawal.  I originally tried to just stop taking it, and was so surprised at how sick I felt, so when I went to the three pieces I was actually very relieved.

I can attest to the difficulty of tapering AD during benzo withdrawal. Im trying to get through the withdraws first. I initially cut my lexapro dose back thinking I would just start cutting back everything and get it over with. Im finding that to be a big mistake. I think the depression and anxiety is so severe during this time of withdrawal maybe the AD is helping relieve some of the suffering. Who knows. I guess one thing at a time for now.

I started a low dose (5 lexapro) during my taper and it has helped me with anxiety and sleep. Therapist wants me to go to a "theraputic" dose but this has been working for me. I am almost at 1 mg of Valium after 20 years of 1 mg Klonopin.

Blue,

I took 5 mg of lexapro for probably 10 years. Tapered finally as I was packing on the pounds! The taper wasn't too bad, nothing like benzo withdrawal. My doctor insisted I need a higher dose but the 5 mg worked really well for me. Resist the pressure to go up if it is working for you.

My AD's: Zoloft 150-200 mg for 9.5 years? My doc started me on Trazadone 50 mg last week. Starting to get worried as I'm reading on here when taping while on AD's pounds pack on. I slowly packed on 30 lbs in the last 2 years 10 months, also got married...but maxed out on benzos as well in October. Along with crushing depression. :-[

My Cymbalta taper is brutal and just as hard as the benzo taper, yet taking longer.  I'm going very slowly....10% per month...but it's still horrific.  I can't relate to anyone so am totally alone and my sleep is so messed up that I can sleep only in the day while staying awake all night.  I'm grateful for any amount of sleep, but this didn't happen during the benzo taper. 

I still have 2 or 3 years of AD tapering ahead of me with years of recovery afterward.  At age 66, it's pretty bleak. 

You think I should get of my Ad first which was given to me with the klonopin 7 months ago I just started taper  down to just 0.4 from  0.5 I have bad insomnia  and had that before this cocktail  it did help with depression  only take 5mg celexa... I had insomia  from  stoping different  ad's before