Sleepy Tired From Depression?

[gr...]

Ever since I got sick, pre benzo even, I have suffered from tiredness. I get SO sleepy tired, its why I had to resign from a great job after working there for many many years.

I would have to close my office door and lay my head down for 30-60 mins to recoop. When it was lunch time I would nap also.

So question is, anyone that suffers from depression as I do, do you get sleepy sleepy tired in the day time to the point u have to take a rest?

This tiredness and unable to stay awake even made my Pdoc give crap like Provigil, Nuvigil, Straterra, Simenet etc. Stimulants.

All they did was make my anxiety which is also severe, go through the friggin roof..

If u do suffer from this, is there any other reason that was diagnosed? Were you able to do anything about it?

Thanks alot for any replies.

Yes me too. If i take a rest i recharge a little bit but its just crazy to get so tired. I cant stay up a full day Im constantly tired, sleepy tired I hate it. Noooo energy sucks :sick:

I also am very lethargic at the moment, but that could be also because it is very hot here. However, I have never felt like this. I literally feel like I am 60 and have these daytime naps. I think that depression can cause the body to simply want to shut down to escape the suffering that comes with depression, a kind of coping mechanism.

Changes in energy levels and sleeping habits are key symptoms of depression.  Some depressives get keyed up with anxiety while others are dragged down by fatigue.  I've suffered from fatigue and depression since age 12.  Not sure whether the depression causes the fatigue or vice versa. 

The word "depression" literally means 'slowing'.  When applied to mental functioning, it could mean slowed cognition, low energy and similar problems. 

Yes unfortunately I suffer from both, severe depression and crippling anxiety. Many people do, I know Im not alone but functioning is terribly hard now adays when i add the tolerance wd, tapering on top of it. I wish I didnt have to deal with both disorders.

I'm sleepy tired too, it's extreme early in the morning, gets a little better for a while, then have it again for 3-5 hours in the afternoon, gets better in the evening, I have this pattern every day. I tried to take naps in the afternoon but can't sleep because of anxiety. When I don't feel severely depressed I have anxiety attacks, it drains me of all energy. Feel like I'm in my 80s (actually, I'm in my 20s). Never had this before Klonopin

I'm sleepy tired too, it's extreme early in the morning, gets a little better for a while, then have it again for 3-5 hours in the afternoon, gets better in the evening, I have this pattern every day. I tried to take naps in the afternoon but can't sleep because of anxiety. When I don't feel severely depressed I have anxiety attacks, it drains me of all energy. Feel like I'm in my 80s (actually, I'm in my 20s). Never had this before Klonopin

Yup, this is pretty much exact same for me, today up n back to bed over and over until 5pm...this sucks

I try to hold out until after lunch and then usually I have to crash.  The part that really sucks is that's when my kids need me the most.  So, either I crash and function for the evening, or I stay up and am so depressed that I can't even interact with my kids anyway.

I empathize for you and others that have to raise kids and deal with depression plus wd. I find that if I am able to stay awake, stay out of bed in the morning, that I crash at 1-2pm, just cant stay up. Then I also have a rough night.

Tnx for reply.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I am very tired as well. When I am very depressed it feels like I am walking in molasses.

I have never been able to "shake" my depression. Some days are worse than others.

I know I am REALLY depressed when taking a shower feels like climbing Mt. Everest. I still take showers, of course but I have to force myself to try to function in life as best I can.

Depression is debilitating.

Yes is very debilitating. I also have a hard time doing the basics like shave and shower. Taking the garbage out pretty much everything is like moving a mountain. Depression plus anxiety, I wish I only had to deal with one.

The anxiety at least passes, the depression never lets go.

Depression plus anxiety, I wish I only had to deal with one.

The same here, groove. The anxiety comes and goes, sometimes disappears for days (those are my blessed days, LOL) but the depression almost never lifts. I'm happy to get a few "normal" minutes without the constant depressive and obsessive thoughts every other day. I figure they must be those famous windows everyone talks about here, but mine are micro windows or something  ;D

I believe it will get better eventually after finishing the taper, but how long will it take? No one can predict it  :(

Depression plus anxiety, I wish I only had to deal with one.

The same here, groove. The anxiety comes and goes, sometimes disappears for days (those are my blessed days, LOL) but the depression almost never lifts. I'm happy to get a few "normal" minutes without the constant depressive and obsessive thoughts every other day. I figure they must be those famous windows everyone talks about here, but mine are micro windows or something  ;D

I believe it will get better eventually after finishing the taper, but how long will it take? No one can predict it  :(

It seems if my anxiety lifts, my depression is stronger. I just had about an hour where after a terrible depressive day, I didnt think about it too much. Then when i get real tired like now and its only 830pm, I feel really depressed again.

I think I am in such a bad spot because Im taking, tapering the K and the G. Well im holding on the G, tapering 2 was just too hard for me. Thing is, they both cause depression when taking them, then when getting off of them your depression gets worse. Thanks alot Doc....give a depressed person something that makes depression worse. Give me a break.

• 1 month later...
It all sounds too familiar, so sleepy tired I am a walking zombie. Don't want to even shower or shave, it seems like an enormous task. Thinking of taking Remeron for better sleep, I just cant take it anymore after 4 1/2 months. Going for a walk helps if I can get out of the house, just want to lie in bed. Similar to a head injury and a hangover. Ughhhhh

It all sounds too familiar, so sleepy tired I am a walking zombie. Don't want to even shower or shave, it seems like an enormous task. Thinking of taking Remeron for better sleep, I just cant take it anymore after 4 1/2 months. Going for a walk helps if I can get out of the house, just want to lie in bed. Similar to a head injury and a hangover. Ughhhhh

Exactly how i feel and also cant shave....shpwer...its just too much to do. "Lots of cuss words here"

Hi guys

I have been tired all my adult life. Now age 60. Each day has been a struggle to function. Always had to sleep a lot. Managed to work but no energy for a social life outside work. I now believe that it was all caused by nitrazepam prescribed for epilepsy at age 20. Now off it 15 months, no depression for 9 months. Physical & mental functioning a long way to go yet so don't know for sure if I will be 100% better but even 80% would be ok.  :yippee:

Chunks of my life have been spent in bed so this time is not anything new. Have never been so physically ill before benzo withdrawal.

I have had lots of anxiety over the years but not any more. Take things as the come, a day at a time, and hope healing will come.

LF

Sorry to hear about your continuing struggles. I had magnified anxiety and depression after coming off too. Although I'm sure mine pales greatly in comparison to yours. I barely have either now though luckily. I would bet a lot of yours does come from tapering so many meds. That plus feeling like you have a never ending s/x don't help. I know it doesn't help much right now, but I think you will improve once you're finally off everything.

I do have some lethargy now too that came about a few weeks after my horrible insomnia during acute. I feel like the increased sleep and tiredness is a way for the brain to finally heal some. That's just my guess though.

Hoping yours clears up soon.

Sorry to hear about your continuing struggles. I had magnified anxiety and depression after coming off too. Although I'm sure mine pales greatly in comparison to yours. I barely have either now though luckily. I would bet a lot of yours does come from tapering so many meds. That plus feeling like you have a never ending s/x don't help. I know it doesn't help much right now, but I think you will improve once you're finally off everything.

I do have some lethargy now too that came about a few weeks after my horrible insomnia during acute. I feel like the increased sleep and tiredness is a way for the brain to finally heal some. That's just my guess though.

Thanks siggy. I think your right. Tapering 2 is killing me, thing is i feel terrible on them and off them. :'(

Thanks siggy. I think your right. Tapering 2 is killing me, thing is i feel terrible on them and off them. :'(

Yeah I can really imagine. I was in severe withdrawal for two and a half weeks on my rapid taper and then another six weeks of nightmarish hell after c/t'ing. And then nearly within a few days after six weeks off, I just miraculously improved. I'm not at 100% yet, but most days now I'm 90-95%. I get some small waves here and there, but not too terrible mostly. Will probably write up a success story soon. I just want to make it to three months off and see how I feel just to make sure there's no relapse of symptoms.

Hang in there. I just got lucky to not have been on this bs for very long. 

Btw, I have a few friends from the SE that moved to Seattle. Made a trip up there a few years ago. Pretty neat city.

Yeah I can really imagine. I was in severe withdrawal for two and a half weeks on my rapid taper and then another six weeks of nightmarish hell after c/t'ing. And then nearly within a few days after six weeks off, I just miraculously improved. I'm not at 100% yet, but most days now I'm 90-95%. I get some small waves here and there, but not too terrible mostly. Will probably write up a success story soon. I just want to make it to three months off and see how I feel just to make sure there's no relapse of symptoms.

Hang in there. I just got lucky to not have been on this bs for very long. 

Btw, I have a few friends from the SE that moved to Seattle. Made a trip up there a few years ago. Pretty neat city.

Wow your one of the lucky ones! Right on. Seattle is awesome when your healthy and not depressed!! :laugh:

Yeah Pike market was awesome. We don't get fresh seafood like that here in Atlanta. Well we can, but it's expensive as it has to be flown in.

Took a ferry and spent a day at Alki too. The wife and I will have to make a trip back out some time.

Yes the seafood is wonderful here, I live 10 mins from Alki....beautiful beach....view of the Olympic Mt range and downtown Seattle.

[2c...]

Yes, I have a history of depression, starting from pre-benzos, and it involves tiredness, often like you describe. (I guess, nothing else has been found wrong). I also was prescribed stimulants for It, which to me isn't an acceptable Solution.

If you haven't had your thyroid checked already, it's a good idea.

-tor

Tor ive had my thyroid checked...its all normal range but i know sometimes it doesnt mean everything is OK.

Benzos also mess with our thyroid during use and wd...so its hard to get an accurate read.

Ive been prescribed stims also...straterra...vyvansse, nuvigil...provigil...OMG.

All they did was make my anxiety OUT OF CONTROL and i was still tired!